PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry... extra mag?

alamo5000
12 January 2015, 21:18
I conceal carry as much as possible. (My work does not allow me to carry while working) but I am rarely without a pistol either on my person or at least nearby.

After a while I started to try and figure out how to carry a spare mag. After a lot of trial and error I have found one product that I really like. I can carry my spare mag horizontally on my belt... it's extremely comfortable. It's appropriately called a 'MagHolder'...

I am just curious...Do you carry a spare mag? And if so how do you carry it?

(note: the pic is from the magholder website)

http://shop.magholder.com/images/MHSS.jpg

greenlineaz
12 January 2015, 22:21
I do. I have a mag holder from Custom Carry Concepts I love, but lately my spare mag is usually in my back pocket, weak side.

DutyUse
12 January 2015, 22:58
Yes. Though I doubt I'll ever need more then 7 shots I do carry a spare g42 mag, just loose in my pocket with nothing else in there to impede my ability to grab it quickly and without bobbling it

din
12 January 2015, 23:42
I always carry spares, carry is a 1911. Just use a double mag carrier from Griffon Industries, when I decide to quit being so cheap I'll get a nice leather holster from Exodus or somebody, with matching belt and pouch.

Eric
13 January 2015, 04:35
I ALWAYS carry a a spare mag. Yes, most issues can probably be resolved with one mag. If you're having to use that one mag, your already having a bad day. Why tempt fate. In addition to the obvious gain in number of available rounds, the second magazine can be handy to have if your primary mag induces a malfunction.

For about the past year I've been using the Safariland Model 71 carrier (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?5842-Safariland-Model-71-Injection-Molded-Pistol-Magazine-Pouch). I initially assumed that as a one-size-fits-all carrier, it would fit none well, but it actually works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/pistols/IMG_5255.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AR15forme/media/pistols/IMG_5255.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/pistols/IMG_5258.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AR15forme/media/pistols/IMG_5258.jpg.html)

If carrying a Glock, their inexpensive mag carrier works great as well.

voodoo_man
13 January 2015, 05:00
That's a cute little gun.

Back pocket carry is usually the way to go, if not you can probably find a comfortable IWB mag pouch

HeavyDuty
13 January 2015, 06:21
I usually don't. If I'm heading down to my friend's place in the 'hood (the Austin neighborhood of Chicago for those that know the area) I change to a retention rig, go upcaliber and carry a spare.

Vesticles
13 January 2015, 06:32
My spare mag goes in my left back pocket.

toolboxluis00200
13 January 2015, 06:33
that reminds me i need to buy more mags

Aberration79
13 January 2015, 10:12
I recently picked up the Raven Concealment moduloader and 2 pistol taco's. I carry 1 spare mag and a flashlight. I am quite happy with the setup.

rob_s
13 January 2015, 10:32
I was never able to find a comfortable IWB mag carrier, even when I carried a 1911 with its thinner mags.

My thinking on a spare mag has more to do with malfunctions than number of rounds.

I'm still looking for documentation of reloads in non-LE gunfights that changed the outcome, with the caveat that the good guy needs to have started with >10 rounds in the gun.

UWone77
13 January 2015, 11:00
I was never able to find a comfortable IWB mag carrier, even when I carried a 1911 with its thinner mags.

My thinking on a spare mag has more to do with malfunctions than number of rounds.

I'm still looking for documentation of reloads in non-LE gunfights that changed the outcome, with the caveat that the good guy needs to have started with >10 rounds in the gun.

This is really one of the reasons I don't carry an extra mag.

I can't find any documentation that an extra magazine was needed to win a gunfight. Not saying that it can't happen, and of course more is better.

BUT... my chances of an off-duty gunfight are generally low. Much lower odds that I will need to reload.

You can only do your best to be prepared, but you can't prepare for every possible scenario.

CK 187
13 January 2015, 11:28

I can't find any documentation that an extra magazine was needed to win a gunfight. Not saying that it can't happen, and of course more is better.

BUT... my chances of an off-duty gunfight are generally low. Much lower odds that I will need to reload.

You can only do your best to be prepared, but you can't prepare for every possible scenario.

Generally speaking i am of the same mindset. I am fairly consistent with one is none, but in the case of an extra mag I rarely carry one. When i do (road trips usually) it's in my thigh cargo pocket of my Carhartt's which works out good since i'm left handed anyhow

Kopis
13 January 2015, 11:38
Although i dont anticipate needing a spare mag and certainly hope never to be in a situation that would require my than what my g19/17 holds, i usually carry a spare mag. I do so because of how i practice. Drawing a weapon from a concealed position and getting a round off may mean the pistol doesnt reload itself or jams. In that case, i would simply drop the mag, rack the slide and grab the spare mag. It isnt about me needing an extra 15+ rounds necessarily.

whenever we shoot at my shop, another guy will load your mag for you and either not tell you how many is in it or randomly load a snap cap in somewhere so you have to clear it before grabbing your spare mag and putting a few more rounds on the last target.

Uffdaphil
13 January 2015, 12:03
I did not always with the CZ 75 compact. But since switching to lower cap single stack PPS and 1911, I always have a spare. For the j-frame an 8 rd zip strip or two with 5 loads spaced 2-2-1.

alamo5000
13 January 2015, 12:09
More that just needing to reload during a Bruce Willis style movie shootout ...I wear one on my weak side because more is better...and if something does malfunction....but also for me this little thing I use makes carrying more comfortable. That little bit of extra weight and that little extra size there makes the whole rig more balanced and comfortable while also giving more rounds...sitting especially the balance helps a lot.

If you do carry or want to carry an extra mag I recommend horizontal carry.

Normally I have two ways that I carry. Either pocket or IWB. IWB the spare mag makes it a ton more comfortable.

Computalotapus
13 January 2015, 12:21
http://kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/MGPACK.JPG.jpg

I guess this doesn't qualify as concealed carry extra mag?

On a serious note I have finally gotten around to making my own mag carriers I have a single OWB mag carrier for winter, and a single IWB for summer, and a double OWB for range.

Gaspipeshooter
13 January 2015, 13:43
My carry gun of late has been my Springfield XDs .45 with an extended magazine. So 7+1 and another extended 7 round mag in my front weak side pocket. I don't like to carry anything in my back pockets. I may never use it, may never need to reload, but I don't want to be the guy that dies wishing he'd carried another mag...

Pyzik
13 January 2015, 13:51
I don't always carry a spare mag.

When I do I'm usually carrying my M&P9c with a spare fullsize mag.

Txfilmmaker
13 January 2015, 14:10
I don't always carry a spare mag.

When I do I'm usually carrying my M&P9c with a spare fullsize mag.

Same here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumpmaster
13 January 2015, 16:47
Having a SA XDS with just 5+1 rds of 45, I carry a spare mag in my front pocket. I live in the sticks and 5+1 rds is a tad on the light side. IMHO.

Jerry R
13 January 2015, 16:47
I carry a spare magazine. Rule number three - "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

WHSmithIV
13 January 2015, 19:47
I carry my 1911. i also carry a spare mag. I use a horizontal carry shoulder holster that has an extra mag pocket.

DutyUse
13 January 2015, 20:34

Well stated.

Only thing I can add is that IF God forbid I did have to draw... I'm never far from my vehicle and soon it will have my ar "pistol" so I'll be fighting my way to that...

Former11B
13 January 2015, 20:53
I carry a Glock 19 and have a back pocket reserved for nothing but a spare mag. It has been mentioned that most encounters won't need more than the first mag, probably the first few rounds even, but I carry concealed weapons for the instances of the unknown. The thought of depleting my primary mag, even having stopped the threat, but having nothing to refresh my spent magazine, is why I carry a spare

Hmac
14 January 2015, 01:03
In the extraordinarily unlikely event I would ever need a gun to defend my life, it's even more unlikely I'd need more than 6 shots to do it. If I carry, I carry a Walther PPS, no spare magazine.

JPLMedic
16 January 2015, 20:05
I carry a Sig P226 with 15+1. As others have said, if I can't make it dead with 16rds then I shouldn't have drawn my weapon.

*Opinion warning* I think any extra EDC space should be filled with a light of some kind before more bullets. If you have space for both, more power to ya. Personally I carry a Surefire E1D everywhere I go and I never carry a weapon without it, chances are if I draw my weapon its gonna be dark...I want to be able to make it less dark.

J.Med

Stone
16 January 2015, 20:37
I always carry a spare mag. Kytex makes a solid low profile holder. Its so comfortable I usually forget to take it off at night. http://www.kytexgear.com/ I feel its better to have it and not need it than to run out of ammo in a gunfight...

Kopis
19 January 2015, 13:07
Well stated.

Only thing I can add is that IF God forbid I did have to draw... I'm never far from my vehicle and soon it will have my ar "pistol" so I'll be fighting my way to that...

Note: this is not in my trunk :) http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/Papachristou/2014-09/80E2096F-D226-4A5C-8423-B44B24C5AC3B_zpszu6rvdh6.jpg (http://s568.photobucket.com/user/Papachristou/media/2014-09/80E2096F-D226-4A5C-8423-B44B24C5AC3B_zpszu6rvdh6.jpg.html)

Also, very much agree with the poster about a flashlight. I always carry one when i go out at night. the blinding potential/compact of these new LEDs make them a very valuable asset to have.

nCarnage
21 January 2015, 11:12
Yes I usually wear cargo pants. Inside my cargo pants pocket is another pocket for media (phones, ipod). I use that as my mag pouch. Vertx pants rock. LOL.

Dstrbdmedic167
21 January 2015, 11:29
Here's where i keep my extra mag now thanks to Infinity Holsters
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/e59836772e040004398dfea4688809a5.jpg

Ps:was sitting in drive thu

DutyUse
21 January 2015, 12:56
In the extraordinarily unlikely event I would ever need a gun to defend my life, it's even more unlikely I'd need more than 6 shots to do it. If I carry, I carry a Walther PPS, no spare magazine.

I carried one forever and Loved it. The trigger guard release killed sells and it never took off like I thought it deserved. Wish I would have kept that one forsure tho.

The only thing that scared me about it was if the replaceable grip insert was ever damaged or slightly out of place, dead gun.

browcs
21 January 2015, 14:10
I always carry a spare magazine on or off-duty generally in a kydex mag pouch.