PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Here Ever Patented an Idea?

JHoward
14 January 2015, 20:20
I have an idea that I think would be a good seller, but I don't have the capitol to make it a reality or manufacture it.... Is there a way to patent the idea, and then maybe I could start up a kickstarter to get it going? It is AR related, and I think it would go hand in hand with a trend in today's market.

alamo5000
14 January 2015, 20:30
You need to make detailed drawings and descriptions of the product... then you pay a fee for the patent office to search for similar items on file. It's not cheap. A few hundred bucks just to start out.

What it doesn't do is prevent people from knocking off your idea, but rather allows you to sue them if they do.

So if some Chinese manufacturer knocks off your idea you are SOL pretty much, but you can sue importers, retailers, ebay, amazon, etc... anyone who would carry the knock off... at very least you would have to give them cease and desist letters... there is a whole lot of lawyer wrapped up in getting and protecting a patent.

http://www.uspto.gov/inventors/patents.jsp

JHoward
14 January 2015, 20:35
Thanks Alamo. What I may do is just try to find someone to back it, then make a bunch, and sell them. I don't think it's something I'd become a millionaire off of, but it could be a good seller. Maybe I could sell the idea to someone like MagPul who already has plastic making sewed up.

alamo5000
14 January 2015, 20:41
Thanks Alamo. What I may do is just try to find someone to back it, then make a bunch, and sell them. I don't think it's something I'd become a millionaire off of, but it could be a good seller. Maybe I could sell the idea to someone like MagPul who already has plastic making sewed up.

It all depends on what it is. Some things are totally worth patenting. Just do it right.

Be aware though that your ducks need to be in a row if you go the patent route.

If you don't patent it and it turns out to be popular then you will be completely cut out of the deal and will have no recourse.

Don't let me scare you by telling you 'reality'... that should not dissuade you at all. Just know what you are doing and why.

alamo5000
14 January 2015, 20:48
In the end it might cost a few nickels to get the patent into place and it might take a while to get it there... but you could eek out a decent living depending on what you are making. Even if you were making some money it would be worth it.

I have a few friends who have patented things and have done so recently. It is definitely worth it at the end of the day.

You can either have one of two feelings:

1. helplessness because you made a cool product and now it's being knocked off by every tom dick and harry and you can do nothing...
2. yes, you paid a nice fee for it...but if people start knocking off your stuff you can be 99% confident that they will be paying up for doing so.

alamo5000
14 January 2015, 20:53
Maybe I could sell the idea to someone like MagPul

Not hardly. Don't even think so. Many, if not most companies require you to have a patent in place before you ever contact them about 'selling an idea'...

And I know everyone here pretty much loves Magpul but they are no different than most other companies. They will take what they can and leave you in their wake.

"The world is dog eat dog, and if you're not careful it's the other way around"... that's one of my favorite quotes.

It's definitely an investment but not a 'huge one' to get a patent... it won't happen over night... but if you get one it's money and time well spent.

ddearmon2010
15 January 2015, 06:31
can take up to 10 years to get approved... unless you use a patent lawyer or company

MoxyDave
15 January 2015, 09:12
Look into a "provisional patent" - it doesn't cost a lot and can protect you until you have a better idea if the idea is worth pursuing. It's a tough road though, I've tried a couple times and it can become very costly.

Ordnance
16 January 2015, 05:55
Whatever you do don't talk about it in a forum with other manufacturers. Heck... There's one in particular here who apparently has no issues knocking off other peoples work.

FortTom
16 January 2015, 06:34
Whatever you do don't talk about it in a forum with other manufacturers. Heck... There's one in particular here who apparently has no issues knocking off other peoples work.
Would you care to follow up on that accusation? You know, just to make sure we all don't buy from rip off artists....

GOST
16 January 2015, 07:02
There are many manufacturers that may copy others. I'm not saying whether or not the yet to be mentioned manufacturer has copied another, but lets be careful with accusations.

Ordnance
16 January 2015, 07:04
Would you care to follow up on that accusation? You know, just to make sure we all don't buy from rip off artists....

Not an accusation... I sent them a message regarding it but rather than replying here or on Facebook they're choosing to remain silent. I'm not going to say it doesn't happen often in the Industry because it does, but this was flagrant and they know it. SHOT will be real interesting for them since several people have told me they're going to be stopping by their booth to vocalize it in person since the person they copied is well liked in the industry. As much as I want to call them out and obliterate them I'm not going to out of respect for UW and the other Admins here, but... My point still stands... If you have a new design then until you have either patenting or an industry partner then keep it on the low because ideas get stolen all the time and I know of also another company (and a Vendor here) who watches forums for ideas. Its a shark tank sometimes... don't bleed in the water.

Ordnance
16 January 2015, 07:09
There are many manufacturers that may copy others. I'm not saying whether or not the yet to be mentioned manufacturer has copied another, but lets be careful with accusations.

Check your PM, but please keep it between us until after SHOT.

Stone
17 January 2015, 05:47
I am currently working on a product, still in the initial prototype stage and am refining it as I go.

Make as many prototypes as you can and continue to refine them along the way to get it as close as possible to your finished idea. Making a dozen changes is not uncommon. Then have a 3D CAD drawing done for the product. At this point you may want to file a PPA (provisional patent application) which basically holds your place in line, patent pending, and gives you one year to get your ducks in a row.
http://patentfile.org/what-is-a-provisional-patent-application-for/

Then contact a place that does rapid prototyping. Your product probably will have to go through a few more revisions to get it where you need it to be. Once you feel its complete make a couple dozen or so to move on to testing and judging market acceptance. Next would be testing of the product, this can be tricky because you need to use folks you can absolutely trust or get them to sign a non-disclosure agreement, NDA. Selling your idea to a company will only net you a 7% royalty in the end, pretty much an industry standard. Setting up a website and selling them yourself will cut out the middle man. The best thing I have found is to pick the brains of current business owners and inventors, they have been down this road and know the pitfalls. Remember that just because you have a patent doesn't mean you wont get copied or have your idea ripped off and if its a hit you probably will. If you do have to sue someone its going to be crazy expensive on your part, easily 50-100 grand, and that's what they bet on that you wont have the resources to sue them. Happens all the time.

Another thing I would suggest is taking a few business classes at a community college. Most inventors get bogged down half way through because they have no business knowledge and "didn't see it coming" because they consider themselves inventors and not businessmen. You really need to be both...

alamo5000
17 January 2015, 06:39
I am currently working on a product, still in the initial prototype stage and am refining it as I go.

Make as many prototypes as you can and continue to refine them along the way to get it as close as possible to your finished idea. Making a dozen changes is not uncommon. Then have a 3D CAD drawing done for the product. At this point you may want to file a PPA (provisional patent application) which basically holds your place in line, patent pending, and gives you one year to get your ducks in a row.
http://patentfile.org/what-is-a-provisional-patent-application-for/

Then contact a place that does rapid prototyping. Your product probably will have to go through a few more revisions to get it where you need it to be. Once you feel its complete make a couple dozen or so to move on to testing and judging market acceptance. Next would be testing of the product, this can be tricky because you need to use folks you can absolutely trust or get them to sign a non-disclosure agreement, NDA. Selling your idea to a company will only net you a 7% royalty in the end, pretty much an industry standard. Setting up a website and selling them yourself will cut out the middle man. The best thing I have found is to pick the brains of current business owners and inventors, they have been down this road and know the pitfalls. Remember that just because you have a patent doesn't mean you wont get copied or have your idea ripped off and if its a hit you probably will. If you do have to sue someone its going to be crazy expensive on your part, easily 50-100 grand, and that's what they bet on that you wont have the resources to sue them. Happens all the time.

Another thing I would suggest is taking a few business classes at a community college. Most inventors get bogged down half way through because they have no business knowledge and "didn't see it coming" because they consider themselves inventors and not businessmen. You really need to be both...

Sound advice.

Ordnance
17 January 2015, 10:33
Sound advice.
+1... Great advice Stone...