PDA

View Full Version : Facebook, why do you suck so much?

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 10:45
I gave up.

I do not give up very often, if ever, but I have thrown in the towel on this one.

I made an account on FB for the purpose of communicating with others for the Samson Op-X program since it is easier for Samson this way. I did a about a weeks worth of posting (pix/etc) - many of you probably saw me pop up on the radar.

All of a sudden FB locks my account and asks me to confirm with a picture ID.

The whole point of me using a handle - ie; internet nickname that is not my real name - is so that my real name is not associated with my handle online. Apparently this was too great of a concept for those at FB and they not only refused to answer any of my questions but they closed me "case" / "appeal' with a BS copy/paste response.

I decided to send them a picture of my ID, but black out everything, except my face which is blurred beyond identification. They came back with:

"Thank you for providing us with your ID. Before we reactivate your account, we need you to respond to this email with your name typed out as it is listed on your identification. We appreciate your patience."

So I responded with:

"Before I respond with my full name, could you please explain to me exactly how it will be used?"

In between waiting more than a full 24hrs for them to respond they finally sent me:

"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities, so you always know who you're connecting with. We require everyone to use their authentic name on their profile. "

Then they locked my account closed my case.

I do not really understand the reason for this, but what do I know, right?

I contact a buddy of mine who is a social media analyst for my PD, I asked him what the deal was with this - he told me that FB is almost as anti-LE as Twitter is. They refuse to care about anything LE asks, does or says (even if reasonable and within their doing without compromise of their rules, users or anything of that type). He told me that they will never budge and that they track the IP's that you use to make FB accounts on and suggested I make another FB account on a different IP with a different email address, which they probably won't catch.

I am not going to go through this BS and I go back to my original stance of "F@%& Facebook with a sledgehammer."

Figured I'd share to those who LOVE and USE FB all the time - they are anti-LE, anti-freedom, anti-America and should be shunned as such.

UWone77
15 January 2015, 10:50
Do you work in Narcotics, or some other unit where you need to stay out of the public eye?

Thompson
15 January 2015, 10:52
they are anti-LE, anti-freedom, anti-America and should be shunned as such.
This is unfortunately very true, as a lot of zero7's fans found out.

I don't know what the deal is with the whole "proving your identity" thing either. A lot of people do stuff like that, namely photographers (ie: Stick, Johnny Danger, etc etc).

Sucks this happened to you though. At least you won't have to put up with their crap anymore.

GOST
15 January 2015, 10:56
"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities, so you always know who you're connecting with. We require everyone to use their authentic name on their profile. "

Then they locked my account closed my case.

To start off I don't know a whole lot about Facebook, and yes they do suck. But you can setup accounts without using your real name. Several examples are Stickman, UWone77, Zero7one, Triplebravo, and Mrgunsngear. I'm not sure how you go about it though.

UWone77
15 January 2015, 10:59
If I were you, I'd just make a generic profile, "John Doe" "Mike Hunt" "Howie Feltersnatch" [:D]

Don't put anything on that profile, but use that profile to start a "business" page. There, you can start a voodoo man page and do whatever you please.

Gaspipeshooter
15 January 2015, 11:06
If I were you, I'd just make a generic profile, "John Doe" "Mike Hunt" "Howie Feltersnatch" [:D]

Don't put anything on that profile, but use that profile to start a "business" page. There, you can start a voodoo man page and do whatever you please.

THIS ^^^

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 11:19
@Uwone, I did work narc at one time yes and I take anonymity very seriously. PERSEC is more of a way of life for me.

I will have to do that.

edit; maybe, FB sucls.

WHSmithIV
15 January 2015, 11:32
Just a note voodoo_man - delete all the cookies in your web browser before you start a new account and set up the business page. That way FB won't see that it's being done by the same computer.

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 11:41
Just a note voodoo_man - delete all the cookies in your web browser before you start a new account and set up the business page. That way FB won't see that it's being done by the same computer.

yea did that.

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 11:52
ok...lets see how long this lasts...

https://www.facebook.com/vdmsr

rob_s
15 January 2015, 12:05
If you want to use a free service to market yourself/business/blog/whate3ver, you play by their rules.

Jerry R
15 January 2015, 12:11
Well, I clicked "like" on some of the photos, and invited friends to your page - I'm not on FB often, but try to thwart anarchy wherever I see it.

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 12:14
If you want to use a free service to market yourself/business/blog/whate3ver, you play by their rules.

Well aren't you helpful.

My point of the OP was that there are others out there that did not have to go through with this type of thing, but yet I did.

I asked questions which were never answered and was completely ignored.

They may off a "free service" but they are extremely horrible at going about it.

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 12:14
Well, I clicked "like" on some of the photos, and invited friends to your page - I'm not on FB often, but try to thwart anarchy wherever I see it.

Thanks.

I don't know how long it'll last but I'll try to post instagram stuff to see if they will flag my page again.

alamo5000
15 January 2015, 12:17
I have been using a fake name on Facebook for a few years now. I also suggest using Facebook purity and social fixer (both) to bypass a lot of the bullshit Facebook does...ads etc.

I think we should have a contest to come up with a good handle for you :)

That would be fun lol!

CK 187
15 January 2015, 13:55

Liked!

Gaspipeshooter
15 January 2015, 14:16

In before it gets banned! [:D]

DutyUse
15 January 2015, 14:34
I contact a buddy of mine who is a social media analyst for my PD, I asked him what the deal was with this - he told me that FB is almost as anti-LE as Twitter is. They refuse to care about anything LE asks, does or says (even if reasonable and within their doing without compromise of their rules, users or anything of that type). He told me that they will never budge and that they track the IP's that you use to make FB accounts on and suggested I make another FB account on a different IP with a different email address, which they probably won't catch.

I am not going to go through this BS and I go back to my original stance of "F@%& Facebook with a sledgehammer."

Figured I'd share to those who LOVE and USE FB all the time - they are anti-LE, anti-freedom, anti-America and should be shunned as such.

You would not believe the amount of investigations start in our department from idiots posting illegal stuff on FB...

Ride4frnt
15 January 2015, 14:45
You would not believe the amount of investigations start in our department from idiots posting illegal stuff on FB...
like the idiot in my town that posted last week to the local "yard sale" page that he "got da dank"

FortTom
15 January 2015, 14:54
I think they "ban" folks arbitrarily. Good friends of mine own a custom Harley shop, where they do everything from routine maintenance, building custom bikes, etc. The page was under the shop name. They posted some pics and info about having acquiring a new Dyno system. Facebook shut him down because "it appeared that he was not a person, but a business"? WTF? No shit, just like the other million or more business who have a FB page. I guess they're "anti-Harley" too?.. Go figure...

CarbonScoring
15 January 2015, 15:14
I'm pretty new to FB, and I may be talking out my ass here, but I believe that when you create a "profile", they expect you to be a real person. That profile can create pages, which can be for an anonymous entity or business. The profile (and others assigned to it) can "manage" said pages.

I created a profile with my real name. I'm using this just to communicate with close friends. I then created a page for my photography. That page doesn't have any mention of who I am, and people can't tell what profile manages that page (or at least they're not supposed to).

Easiest solution is to create a profile, include very little (or no) info about yourself, but make sure it looks like a real person. In other words, use a first and last name, even if it isn't really your name. Then create your voodoo_man page.

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 15:17
@carbonscoring - that's what I did.

I have a few FB accounts that I have used for years for investigatory purposes that have no real substance or posts to them and from one of them I started my "professional" page.

I've been using FB since before it got "huge" I remember when it came out and people were still on myspace...I started a dozen accounts for investigatory purposes (forward thinking).

JHoward
15 January 2015, 15:19
Well, not defending Facebook, but they have business pages, and they are limited to doing certain things. It's much easier for a business to spam if they're listed as a person. I have a business page, and I can't post in groups under the business name, comment on posts anywhere other than my page, etc, etc. I think they do that to keep everything under control.

Gaspipeshooter
15 January 2015, 15:53
Well, not defending Facebook, but they have business pages, and they are limited to doing certain things. It's much easier for a business to spam if they're listed as a person. I have a business page, and I can't post in groups under the business name, comment on posts anywhere other than my page, etc, etc. I think they do that to keep everything under control.

Actually, they do that so you can't really promote your business without paying advertising fees. I guarantee, part of the first business plan draft was "how do we make a shit ton of money from this thing that will become Facebook one day?" The plan all along has been to create something with a bazillion "customers", so that they could create a gigantic revenue stream. Why do you think their IPO was so successful?

CarbonScoring
15 January 2015, 16:12
@carbonscoring - that's what I did.

I have a few FB accounts that I have used for years for investigatory purposes that have no real substance or posts to them and from one of them I started my "professional" page.

I've been using FB since before it got "huge" I remember when it came out and people were still on myspace...I started a dozen accounts for investigatory purposes (forward thinking).

Weird. Did they say they had issues with your profile itself?

voodoo_man
15 January 2015, 16:24
Weird. Did they say they had issues with your profile itself?

No, they just wanted me to confirm who I was.

Which I did not want to do since I do not want my real name associated with my handle or else it would be.

I mean, it makes perfect sense on a business level - personal pages for various personal features - business or "professional" pages with limited ability unless you pay.

tact
15 January 2015, 18:55
I don't use my name or fill out the profile.....but then again I only use it for the news feed.

GOST
15 January 2015, 19:15
I don't use my name or fill out the profile.....but then again I only use it for the news feed.

Same here.

rayjax82
16 January 2015, 17:55
It's a giant data mine for direct customized advertising. Period. The thing is genius. Of course they want your real info.

UWone77
17 January 2015, 17:17
It's a giant data mine for direct customized advertising. Period. The thing is genius. Of course they want your real info.

When politics dictate, they also crush your numbers when it comes to firearms related content.

Then again, they are more than happy to suck your money from your wallet to increase your numbers and views through fake likes, and sponsored ads.

It won't surprise me when FB gets slapped with a class action lawsuit brought on by all the people that paid for ads and got nothing in return.

UWone77
17 January 2015, 17:44
Before anyone thinks about "buying" likes or advertising on FB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oVfHeWTKjag

voodoo_man
17 January 2015, 19:00
Buying likes is loke buying popularity, its a stupid idea before it was even formed.

akersc
17 January 2015, 19:33
People who need to buy likes have also probably never seen boobies either....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOST
17 January 2015, 19:55
I need to buy likes then.[BD]

akersc
17 January 2015, 20:23
I need to buy likes then.[BD]

Comp will show you his boobies, we got your back 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOST
17 January 2015, 21:34
I would be afraid to look, afraid of becoming a victim of gingerfication.[BD]

CarbonScoring
18 January 2015, 02:11
Buying likes is loke buying popularity, its a stupid idea before it was even formed.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If people don't like me, I'll sit in the corner by myself.

rayjax82
19 January 2015, 19:00
When politics dictate, they also crush your numbers when it comes to firearms related content.

Then again, they are more than happy to suck your money from your wallet to increase your numbers and views through fake likes, and sponsored ads.

It won't surprise me when FB gets slapped with a class action lawsuit brought on by all the people that paid for ads and got nothing in return.

I have heard that.