PDA

View Full Version : What's The Farthest You Have Ever Shot? (And hit...)

JHoward
16 January 2015, 20:00
Just curious. Mine is not far. I've never been a "precision" shooter. I don't really count it, but I have shot dead 155mm UXO rounds at around 450 yards with a 50BMG. My farthest with anything I owned has only been out to 300 or so in 3 gun.

Gaspipeshooter
16 January 2015, 20:48
600 yards in Service Rifle competition. Iron sights...

toolboxluis00200
16 January 2015, 20:53
Call of Duty or in real life ??

Ride4frnt
16 January 2015, 21:25
500 on paper with a barrett m82.

This is me on the same gun but shorter range

http://youtu.be/w6tFdOrJJ2o

Will@AR15Hunter
16 January 2015, 21:47
500 yards with irons on paper (D1) and on steel (standard silhouette and reduced 2.5MOA silhouette). I can hit these with almost boring regularity with irons and my 14.5" Colt, from the prone position (or bench). ETA: using IMI M855 to boot.

Furthest kill for me on a critter to date is like 370 yards; prairie dog with the 18" SPR (captured on video, too).

BC98
16 January 2015, 21:48
About 350 yards with a red dot. 400 yards with a 1-7x optic (target was a 6" plate).

Naytwan
16 January 2015, 22:02
1000 yards from a 308 remington 700. We were shooting steel. I was running hand loaded 155g scenars that were screaming at 3000 fps. I was rocking a 20" Rock creek 5R barrel. That thing could shoot. I miss that rifle.

GaSwamper
17 January 2015, 06:00
328 yds 3'' plate 120gr 6.8 16'' Wilson Combat barrel.

Computalotapus
17 January 2015, 06:04
500 yds life size upper torso targets w/ M-16 A2, iron sights, issued 5.56 NATO rounds 😁

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

KW900A
17 January 2015, 06:29
500 yards with my .308 with Hornady 168 grain match shooting paper. Also socked a groundhog at 425 yards with my .222 and 55 grain winchester soft points, proud of that one since I didn't expect my middle of the road antique bushnell optics would get me that far out. Both model 700 remington.

Working my way to the 1000 yard club

I have hit paper at 800 yards, but not where I was aiming so I don't count it [bash]

SINNER
17 January 2015, 07:08
Just returned from a hunting trip in Texas and shot 10" steel gongs out to 1350 yds. Ranged with a Terrapin. The last magazine I shot before hunting was a 5 of 5 on the gong. Took shots of 450 to down an Aoudad ram and 350 on a desert Muley. Seemed like chip shots. Savage 110BA chambered in .338 Lapua shooting 300gr. Accubond's with 101 grs of H-1000. Running right around 3350 fps.

Gaspipeshooter
17 January 2015, 08:00
Just returned from a hunting trip in Texas and shot 10" steel gongs out to 1350 yds. Ranged with a Terrapin. The last magazine I shot before hunting was a 5 of 5 on the gong. Took shots of 450 to down an Aoudad ram and 350 on a desert Muley. Seemed like chip shots. Savage 110BA chambered in .338 Lapua shooting 300gr. Accubond's with 101 grs of H-1000. Running right around 3350 fps.

Just. Wow.

KW900A
17 January 2015, 08:17

A friend of mine has a 110BA in .338 also, he's getting it out to around 1000 yards.

Good work!

BoilerUp
17 January 2015, 08:24
What do they make you qualify at in the Army? Those ranges go out to 300m don't they? It's been about 20 years for me, so I can't remember. This was back when the targets where little green rubber silhouettes that looked like Russian soldiers (I looked for pictures of these on the interwebs and couldn't find any so I'm guessing they went out of use before cell phone cameras became commonplace). That would be my longest just because I don't think I've ever actually shot at a range longer than what the Army provided.

However, I did join a local range a few months ago that has a 600 yard range so I hope to work up to that range in the next year or three (don't really have an appropriate rifle to go much past 400m right now).

Computalotapus
17 January 2015, 09:34
What do they make you qualify at in the Army? Those ranges go out to 300m don't they? It's been about 20 years for me, so I can't remember. This was back when the targets where little green rubber silhouettes that looked like Russian soldiers (I looked for pictures of these on the interwebs and couldn't find any so I'm guessing they went out of use before cell phone cameras became commonplace). That would be my longest just because I don't think I've ever actually shot at a range longer than what the Army provided.

However, I did join a local range a few months ago that has a 600 yard range so I hope to work up to that range in the next year or three (don't really have an appropriate rifle to go much past 400m right now).

Last Army base I was at that had those targets was at Ft. Dix in New Jersey. It was a 400m range. If I recall correctly those targets popped up and would stay up for a certain period of time or until they registered a hit.

MonkeyBomb
17 January 2015, 10:30
On a target. The 300 meter targets that Boiler up was talking about. The M-16 A2 with irons, New Mexico Range in Korea was the last time. I remember it being 300 meters.

On a live target 65 yards is my max. I tend to stalk and 12 yards is my closest. That was on an Elk and with a bow.

Computalotapus
17 January 2015, 11:23
On a target. The 300 meter targets that Boiler up was talking about. The M-16 A2 with irons, New Mexico Range in Korea was the last time. I remember it being 300 meters.

On a live target 65 yards is my max. I tend to stalk and 12 yards is my closest. That was on an Elk and with a bow.

For some odd reason thought it was 400m. I am getting old and my memory is very foggy.

Ordnance
17 January 2015, 11:56
Out to 1950yds with a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300WM, out to 905 with a 338LM (we weren't in an area to go farther unfortunately), out to 1310 with a 308 gasser, out to 1250 with just about everything from a 6mm to 308, and out to 905 with my SPR but again we were limited on space and I was using a gasser so it was transonic and although stable even a slight change in wind would throw flyers.

Ordnance
17 January 2015, 12:08
To all you guys rocking it out to 500+ with irons... my hats off to you. I've never really done much with irons or even tried going beyond 100 with irons, so you guys have a skill set that I wish I had and need to work on.

gatordev
17 January 2015, 13:47
and out to 905 with my SPR but again we were limited on space and I was using a gasser so it was transonic and although stable even a slight change in wind would throw flyers.

I'd really like to try this sometime. There's a range about an hour away that I could take my SPR out to 800, but I need to coordinate with a guy to make it happen. Iit would be interesting to see if I could be consistent.

To all you guys rocking it out to 500+ with irons... my hats off to you. I've never really done much with irons or even tried going beyond 100 with irons, so you guys have a skill set that I wish I had and need to work on.

No kidding. Although I find the first skill set I need to learn is being able to focus on the front post with my slowly aging eyes. Getting older sucks. I have been able to hit clays at 200 with my SR-15 and irons with just standard M193 ammo, but I had good light and apparently my eyes were fresh that day.

Computalotapus
17 January 2015, 14:02

I couldn't do it again now. My eyes are not what they used to be.

Ordnance
17 January 2015, 14:12
I'd really like to try this sometime. There's a range about an hour away that I could take my SPR out to 800, but I need to coordinate with a guy to make it happen. Iit would be interesting to see if I could be consistent.

No kidding. Although I find the first skill set I need to learn is being able to focus on the front post with my slowly aging eyes. Getting older sucks. I have been able to hit clays at 200 with my SR-15 and irons with just standard M193 ammo, but I had good light and apparently my eyes were fresh that day.

Just remember to stick with the heavies since they transition better, have a REALLY good spotter, and a good backdrop. I was using a 2.5-10x which wasn't ideal, but even on a 15-25x it would have been difficult to see any kind of trace, splash, or impact. Frankly, a good spotter is everything when dealing with the smaller calibers at that kind of distance, because even impacts are hard to see when you're with small pills that are coming in transonic.

Ordnance
17 January 2015, 14:15

That's better than saying "I've never done it.", so it's still an accomplishment in it's own right whether you're still doing it or did it in the past. I'm going to work on it though when I get the chance again in a couple years.

JoshAston
17 January 2015, 14:29
1,800m at an APC white an M107, 1,000m at steel with an M24.

gatordev
17 January 2015, 14:48
Just remember to stick with the heavies since they transition better, have a REALLY good spotter, and a good backdrop. I was using a 2.5-10x which wasn't ideal, but even on a 15-25x it would have been difficult to see any kind of trace, splash, or impact. Frankly, a good spotter is everything when dealing with the smaller calibers at that kind of distance, because even impacts are hard to see when you're with small pills that are coming in transonic.

Good point. I have a 2.5-10 on my mine, but the guy I need to contact has some good spotter glass, so at least there's that. Regardless, it would be a fun challenge.

DutyUse
17 January 2015, 16:06
Longest clear shot I got here on the farm is 400 something lol. My range finder is a cheapie I don't trust lol

Edit: with the savage and 3-9 Zeiss I can keep a 8" spread normally from prone. Not impressive but not bad either...

I rarely try the far steel with AR and RDS. A friend has hit it with pistol just playing around. Took a couple mags tho lol

Former11B
17 January 2015, 16:22
What do they make you qualify at in the Army? Those ranges go out to 300m don't they? It's been about 20 years for me, so I can't remember. This was back when the targets where little green rubber silhouettes that looked like Russian soldiers (I looked for pictures of these on the interwebs and couldn't find any so I'm guessing they went out of use before cell phone cameras became commonplace). That would be my longest just because I don't think I've ever actually shot at a range longer than what the Army

We called the targets "Ivans":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps26261b79.jpg

And the range at Ft Dix you're talking about, Computalotapus, if it was an actual qual range or LOMAH/KD range, it wouldn't have gone past 300m unless it was a specialized marksmanship unit range

Computalotapus
17 January 2015, 16:42
And the range at Ft Dix you're talking about, Computalotapus, if it was an actual qual range or LOMAH/KD range, it wouldn't have gone past 300m unless it was a specialized marksmanship unit range

No clue we just did AB/GD (Air Base Ground Defense) training there back in my day. Visited the range only to confirm zero on rifles and we went to the grenade range to toss 2 grenades. Ran the grenade obstacle course there tossed a couple trainers into pill boxes. Most of our time was spent in the woods learning land nav, ambush and counter ambush stuff. All of our Cadre were Rangers and I know that OPFOR were all units from the JRTC and Parachute Battalion there. And I got paid extra money for having to stay in Army barracks and for having to eat Army food. haha

BoilerUp
17 January 2015, 17:35
We called the targets "Ivans":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps26261b79.jpg

Yes! Ivans! I remember them being painted and looking a bit more "Soviet"...like wearing their funny steel helments..but basically like those, and my memory is fading so maybe it's exactly likely those. I qualified at Ft. Knox in '93 and Bragg in '94.

And, in line with JohnAshton, I have pulled the lanyard on a 105mm, so that has to count for something...

JoshAston
17 January 2015, 17:46
And, in line with JoshAston, I have pulled the lanyard on a 105mm, so that has to count for something...

I've never fired artillery, Barrett M107 .50 cal. :)

mustangfreek
17 January 2015, 22:57
I need to find somewhere in my area where i can stretcth out 5-800 yards...But no ranges even remotely close of me, so that leaves driving/hiking around to find something...sux..2-300 at the normal range ..gets boring...lol

DutyUse
17 January 2015, 23:00
I need to find somewhere in my area where i can stretcth out 5-800 yards...But no ranges even remotely close of me, so that leaves driving/hiking around to find something...sux..2-300 at the normal range ..gets boring...lol

Do a search for public lands around you. Not sure about Washington State, but we got tons of public "for everyone" lands here in Kentucky

cjd3
17 January 2015, 23:21
I took a moose at 175 yards. Hit the 11" gong at 300 yards. Nothing farther out I can shoot at the moment.

mustangfreek
18 January 2015, 02:50
Do a search for public lands around you. Not sure about Washington State, but we got tons of public "for everyone" lands here in Kentucky

ya...here on the "wet side" of the state there is not much for private lands, unless you know someone or something, other side of the state has alot more areas, but my area in general has nothing within a couple hours that gets out past 250 yards....Like i said without knowing someone who has a spot, which is hard to get out of people sometimes as they dont want their spot to be known.

JHoward
18 January 2015, 07:32
It's amazing that in basic I could hit a pop-up target with irons at 300m, but now I have a hard time with an 18" gong at 300 with a red dot and magnifier.

Gaspipeshooter
18 January 2015, 08:04

I've always been far sighted. Had 20/10 vision for the longest time. Now I need reading glasses, but I still have great distance vision. Ordnance, the Service Rifle competitions are really cool. All the matches I shot in I shot at Camp Perry, with an AR, 20" heavy barrel National Match gun from Bushmaster, (Per-Ban days, wish I still had it!). I also did the DCM clinic there, which was a really cool experience. Every now and then I think about getting back into it.

CK 187
19 January 2015, 04:58
Didn't trust the range finder, so I verified my whitetail using two different GPS units and did the math back on them. Concensus was 420m using my 300 Win Mag. Nice calm Wisconsin day shooting across the clear cut on the National Guard bombing range

We routinely shoot steel on the farm at 300m using irons. Not sure how you guys stretch it to 500. Damn

Ordnance
19 January 2015, 11:25
ya...here on the "wet side" of the state there is not much for private lands, unless you know someone or something, other side of the state has alot more areas, but my area in general has nothing within a couple hours that gets out past 250 yards....Like i said without knowing someone who has a spot, which is hard to get out of people sometimes as they dont want their spot to be known.

Not true. Cascades has a 600yd range, and UNSC has a 550yd range. There are also numerous areas on DNR land to shoot out to over a mile if know where to look. I would suggest attending the Practical Rifle match at UNSC sometime and do a lot of listening and learning. Once they get comfortable with you and trust you they'll likely be more than willing to show you our honey holes.

Ordnance
19 January 2015, 11:33
I've always been far sighted. Had 20/10 vision for the longest time. Now I need reading glasses, but I still have great distance vision. Ordnance, the Service Rifle competitions are really cool. All the matches I shot in I shot at Camp Perry, with an AR, 20" heavy barrel National Match gun from Bushmaster, (Per-Ban days, wish I still had it!). I also did the DCM clinic there, which was a really cool experience. Every now and then I think about getting back into it.

Unfortunately I've had bad experiences just watching those comps. It seems inevitably at every one you get that group that thinks they're purists and better than everyone else because they shoot irons, and they want to talk down to practical rifle shooters even though and no offense intended to service rifle competitors, I can outshoot 99% of them in my sport. I'm going to get with a friend soon though that also does those comps nationally and get some personal instruction since with irons I agree they got it on lock down.

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 12:12
850-ish yards w/ 556 (77gr out of my scar16 when I had it, ta31f-g acog) - 4 hits out of 6 on paper.

around 200 yards with 9mm 115gr on steel man size torso.

edit; actually hit out to 400 yards with 9mm, issue is I couldn't confirm since I couldn't hear the steel ding, I did see dust pop up but don't count it.

Former11B
19 January 2015, 19:17
I hit a deer right in the brain box a few weeks ago before season ended with a fixed 3.5x ACOG at 150 yards with a 64gr boolit.

Also just found a 600yd range just past my normal 300yd range so I'm looking forward to trying that out sometime

VIPER 237
19 January 2015, 21:23
I've hit at 1250 with a friends dialed in 408 cheytac, and just under 1000 with a tracking point rifle, but that was almost cheating. With my AR I've hit between 5-600 fairly consistently on man size steel with optics.

My dad is one of the best shots I've ever seen. We were mule deer hunting in south west Utah and we were sitting on a ridge overlooking a valley and a nice 4x5 28" buck was heading up the ridge across the way from us. I ranged it at 718 yards when he took his first shot, he hit just under and readjusted and took him down at 732 with his .300 win mag.

Former11B
19 January 2015, 22:11
See, the shot was impressive but now you gotta drag a heap of literally dead weight up and down a mountain.

Unless I'm starving or it's the biggest rack I've ever seen.....PASS. Too far and elevated to hump a deer carcass all over the place

VIPER 237
19 January 2015, 23:37
See, the shot was impressive but now you gotta drag a heap of literally dead weight up and down a mountain.

Unless I'm starving or it's the biggest rack I've ever seen.....PASS. Too far and elevated to hump a deer carcass all over the place

Haha more like me and my brother had the honors. That's what sons are for right?

n4p226r
20 January 2015, 07:04
100 yard with the rifle.

Will@AR15Hunter
22 January 2015, 19:19
Shot some steel at 937 yards at media day with a Savage in .338 Lapua.

New record distance for me, and the first time I've shot that cartridge.

Jerry R
24 January 2015, 09:37
My personal best was in Forsyth, MT. Two Pdogs off the same mound with consecutive shots at a witnessed and laser measured 630. Got me into the Varmint Hunters Association 500 Yard Club. Used a Remington 40XB-KS in .243 Winchester - Leupold 8.5x25 - 75 grain V-Max handloads. The Pdogs weren't much bigger than a 20 oz. coke bottle.

Buckeye67
24 January 2015, 12:53
A friend of a friend runs a long-range groundhog hunting operation near Mansfield, Ohio: http://www.ncovarmintexpress.com/

My longest is a 646 yard (per the rangefinder) hit on a groundhog using a Steyr SSG 69.

velocity2006
26 January 2015, 13:48
1550 Yards with a 7mm Remington Magnum shooting at a man sized steel gong.

greenlineaz
28 January 2015, 00:43
500 with irons on a Colt M16A2, 200 with my SW 629 this week at the range. I almost hit at 300 but ran out of ammo.