PDA

View Full Version : This song is dedicated to all those NOT going to SHOT Show

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 00:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmPLterj9wk

(click the link)

I have been somewhat irritated by this whole SHOT show thing.

Somebody please explain to me WHY I should care even for 5 seconds anything at all about SHOT show?

Seeing how my multitudinous contributions aren't enough... I want to know how I can get in to this elite member's only club of "experts" and "professionals"?

I have zero problem with having industry days where those guys can spend a few days rubbing elbows and drinking beer, but the format of it from my perspective needs to change to one of more openly promoting the industry and doesn't come across as a good old boys club.

UWone77
19 January 2015, 00:58
Why do you want to go?

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 01:19
Why do you want to go?

Why would anyone NOT want to go to the Lolapalooza of guns shows?

Eric
19 January 2015, 01:34
The thing is, it isn't a gun show. Many, if not most of the manufacturers don't even have product for sale there for individuals. It's designed to lure buyers there with the hopes of filling big orders. "Media" attends to hype the event and products even more. They have raised the rates for individual mil and LE and are trying to thin out the heard that attends. Sales guys don't have time to interact with the Average Joe who is there to try and get SWAG and drool over the newest widget. This often ends up in hurt feelings, but it's the reality of a buyers convention.

GaSwamper
19 January 2015, 05:06
I can't believe I let you lure me into clicking on that garbage!

Computalotapus
19 January 2015, 05:37

Now I really want to click that link.

The thing is, it isn't a gun show. Many, if not most of the manufacturers don't even have product for sale there for individuals. It's designed to lure buyers there with the hopes of filling big orders. "Media" attends to hype the event and products even more. They have raised the rates for individual mil and LE and are trying to thin out the heard that attends. Sales guys don't have time to interact with the Average Joe who is there to try and get SWAG and drool over the newest widget. This often ends up in hurt feelings, but it's the reality of a buyers convention.

I see shot as a place for manufacturers to market their product to the resellers. I would like to go just to meet the people but honestly I don't see us going anytime soon. Also being the patch whore that I am I would like to go to collect the patches that happen only for shot. Don't get me wrong I would love to see the product that is being released but I think I would be more into meeting the people than the product.

GOST
19 January 2015, 05:43

Now you got me wanting to click it.

Gaspipeshooter
19 January 2015, 06:27
I see shot as a place for manufacturers to market their product to the resellers.

There you have it. In another life I did SHOT Show when I was in the outdoor industry. It's a grind. The intent is for dealers and distributors to see all the new product that manufacturers have or are introducing, and hopefully place big orders for product. My time was spent doing sales meetings with our rep groups/sales reps, meeting with dealers and distributors to go over the product lines and write orders, meet with writers and arrange for test samples, meet with magazine editors and advertising agencies to set up advertising packages, meet with TV show hosts and producers for possible sponsorship "opportunities", meet with other manufacturers about possible collaboration/cross promotion, and be on the floor for hours on end. Did I say it's a grind? Many of the folks who are actually there are not true direct customers, they are friends of small dealers who get their buddies show credentials so they can come and gawk at all the new stuff and hopefully meet their "heroes" in person. They are a drain on resources. Then of course there is the "party" aspect of being in Vegas....[BD]

Pyzik
19 January 2015, 06:51
Don't click the link. My ears hurt now.

I really want to go too.

I know there is nothing there for me, but I still really want to go. Just seeing/meeting some of the "cool" gun people would be cool.
I will find a way one year.

KW900A
19 January 2015, 08:11
It's like a SEMA show for guns and related products, I'd like to check it out some time.

VIPER 237
19 January 2015, 08:15
It was cool and exciting the first year, but now it's just long ass week with 20+ miles of walking trying to dodge the swag whores.

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 09:06
I thought the video was a nice touch [:D]

CK 187
19 January 2015, 09:10
I would have to assume it's like the powersports vendor expo in Indianapolis. A real ass busting grind for those working all day every day, answering the same questions 5,000 times. Those things are good as a dealer if you're just out trolling for swag, but people like that are a total drain on the show resources

But the after parties.............WOOOOOOOOOOO

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 09:14
Now you got me wanting to click it.

Come on guys... click... it's just a click... what can it hurt?[BD]

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 09:38
My take on this isn't against the vendors and manufacturers so much. It's a clear shot at the organizers of the show. They have created what is more or less the Oscars of the gun world... complete with red carpet and after parties. I say screw them. I am still waiting on someone to tell me why I should care even 2 seconds about anything going in or coming out of SHOT show?

But then I have people telling me 'it's ok it's not really that cool'... the whole thing reeks of high school and reflects poorly if you ask me.

The vendors have this gigantic show that for all intents and purposes is too big. Why not break it up? Why not have one show that is strictly LE and military? If you are not active duty in either (with creds) you don't get in.

Let the duck hunters and everyone else have a seperate show.

I have been to somewhere between two and three dozen trade shows (for a former job) so I get it. Everywhere else on the planet where they do these shows they have two or three days that are industry days and two or three days that are for the public. It works everywhere else, so why not here too?

If it turns into that the only thing people look forward to are the after parties what good is this show for the industry? It's almost like an annual pilgrimage to show your 'creds' that is more form than function.

Whether or not they have products for sale to the general public is irrelevant. They would have 10 or 20 times more exposure to the products being offered if they let the public in.

Seems to me like the organizers of SHOT show have created this form of eliteism that is frowned upon by me and many others. I could care less if I get a swag bag. I could care less if I meet Phil from Duck Dynasty.

Once again this show has morphed into something else and I don't like it.

MonkeyBomb
19 January 2015, 09:47
It's a industry show. Back when we still ran the family business I dreaded industry shows. We had to plan carefully. We were looking at the new products and trying to get a quick idea of quality vs cost so we could stock current and new products as well as replacing products that had been discontinued even if they were popular. It seemed nothing was close to the other and appointment times were stacked over the entire day everyday. Not much time to oggle the cool stuff. I don't miss it.

I think SHOT show would be cool but I'm not dropping the coin since my agency isn't going to be making mass purchases of anything cool and my web presence deals with gun rights and education instead of reviews of the new cool stuff.

The odd part of shot is I have been "invited" to join/visit many different companies at shot show. I have no professional relationship with these companies other than I use some of their products. I am a consumer.

Maybe they need to have a consumer show in addition to the traditional shot show to ramp up the market.

toolboxluis00200
19 January 2015, 10:16
i want to go for the swag and hot girls

Gaspipeshooter
19 January 2015, 11:31
Alamo, The show is the "The Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade Show", and is owned by the National Shooting Sports Foundation. In spirit, it has always been geared more towards hunting than LE/Mil oriented stuff as far as guns etc., especially in the early days. With the proliferation of "tacticool" and more average, (not LE/MIL) folks really getting into the ARs and such, there is a lot more emphasis on those types of products these days. The hunting/outdoor industry might be inclined to tell the AR/Tacticool crowd to get their own show...http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/SMILEYS/BONK.gif

akersc
19 January 2015, 12:01
My one and only reason to go to SHOT would be to meet all of the incredible people that helped me out over the last year. I would love too, and will (you just watch and see) shake each of their hands one day. I have never been given so much help and encouragement in my life, they are amazing people.

I know I will hear all about the cool new "it things" on here so I don't need to go to SHOT to hear about them.

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 12:08
I will be there (flying out tomorrow).

I will make sure to see people, take pictures of them and not introduce myself.

If someone approaches me and figures out who I am (since I won't be going as my internet handle) they won't be coming home.

That is all.

akersc
19 January 2015, 13:12
I will find you one day and I will hug your damn face! #THATSAFACTJACK #YouCanRunButYouCannotHideVOODOOMAN
I will be there (flying out tomorrow).

I will make sure to see people, take pictures of them and not introduce myself.

If someone approaches me and figures out who I am (since I won't be going as my internet handle) they won't be coming home.

That is all.

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 13:43
im like a ninja, you wont see me.

akersc
19 January 2015, 13:59
Bitch please! I will find you, even if I have to call in a favor or 400 :D
im like a ninja, you wont see me.

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 14:08
Bitch please! I will find you, even if I have to call in a favor or 400 :D

No one on here has actually met me and those who have wont be tempted by favors.

akersc
19 January 2015, 14:10
No one on here has actually met me and those who have wont be tempted by favors.

No one said they were on here......mwahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akersc
19 January 2015, 14:12

And just admit you want to meet me too, no one can resist the face hug!

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 15:11
I'd just want to go once, just to say i had if nothing else

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 15:18
And just admit you want to meet me too, no one can resist the face hug!

Someone thinks very highly of themselves!

LOL

I'd just want to go once, just to say i had if nothing else

The guy's I am going with have been there several times and are sick of it. Most of the guys I personally know don't like it anymore.

I've been to two Warrior Expo East twice already and most of the same people go to SHOT first, they all don't like SHOT because of people who show up that should not be there.

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 15:27
The guy's I am going with have been there several times and are sick of it. Most of the guys I personally know don't like it anymore.

I've been to two Warrior Expo East twice already and most of the same people go to SHOT first, they all don't like SHOT because of people who show up that should not be there.

Wife already said I cannot goto Vegas alone lol

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 15:32
Wife already said I cannot goto Vegas alone lol

Damn bro, when do you take her last name?

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 15:44

lol that was funny

Don't bother me if I can't goto vegas alone tho... I'm creeping in on 30. She just turned 21 ;) And is much, much hotter then I deserve [:D][:D]

UWone77
19 January 2015, 15:45

This is really why I don't go to SHOT. I would really have nothing to do there. There are enough guys wasting vendors time as it is.

I'll probably go at some point, just to meet some of the guys I've gotten to know over the years and place a face with a name.

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 15:53
lol that was funny

Don't bother me if I can't goto vegas alone tho... I'm creeping in on 30. She just turned 21 ;) And is much, much hotter then I deserve [:D][:D]

Remember, happy wife happy life, but that doesn't mean you lose your balls ;)

This is really why I don't go to SHOT. I would really have nothing to do there. There are enough guys wasting vendors time as it is.

I'll probably go at some point, just to meet some of the guys I've gotten to know over the years and place a face with a name.

Only real reason to go unless you want to make connections and get shit setup for business reasons (one of the reasons I am going).

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 16:07
Remember, happy wife happy life

Say that all time, and it is the truth.

She tattoo'd mine ;)

Stone
19 January 2015, 16:17

Why would you make an argument against your previous argument arguing against what you were previously not arguing for?

voodoo_man
19 January 2015, 16:30
She tattoo'd mine ;)

Didnt answer the question ;)

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 16:40
Didnt answer the question ;)

If I ever got a chance to go, I'd want to bring her. She loves shooting too [:D]

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 17:00
Why would you make an argument against your previous argument arguing against what you were previously not arguing for?

You used a quadruple negative bro [:D] I seriously don't even know if I am sure what you really mean. LOL

Former11B
19 January 2015, 19:11
You used a quadruple negative bro [:D] I seriously don't even know if I am sure what you really mean. LOL

He meant that you said something along the lines of:

But then said:

"I am still waiting on someone to tell me why I should care even 2 seconds about anything going in or coming out of SHOT show?"

FortTom
19 January 2015, 19:16
I can sum this all up in one sentence:
There was some pretty cool girl on girl stuff in that video[wow]

Stone
19 January 2015, 19:49

But then said:

"I am still waiting on someone to tell me why I should care even 2 seconds about anything going in or coming out of SHOT show?"

I'm glad I am not the only one who caught that, thanks 11B.

Alamo: Re-read the first three posts of this thread. A quadruple negative is for when the triple just wont cut it...[:D]

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 19:51

But then said:

OK fair enough.

Just so there is no confusion here... yes, who wouldn't like to be able to go check out all the cool stuff at SHOT? Or a boat show, or a car show, or almost anything else you or I might be interested in.

Of course I would like to go for obvious reasons.

BUT I think the people who put on SHOT show... they have created a monster and to be honest it kind of pisses me off how it goes down and that it's for this exclusive club of people. It comes across as a high school party for the cool kids only. But I say if they are going to treat me that way I say screw them. They do not deserve my support. To make a long story short, I don't like people on high horses.

Yes, I get it. Legit people do want and need to go there for business. Fair enough. But why not do it like almost every other show I have ever been to? Give it 3 days for industry people to do what they do, but then open it up and let the public enjoy it as well. It will do far more for the gun industry if they do. So as a vendor you have to explain your product to 5,000 potential buyers over the course of a weekend? And this is a problem because....???? Talk about getting publicity! Talk about creating industry 'buzz'... but they are skipping all that... the organizers that is.

I would fly over to see it. Yet it comes across as some good old boy's network of bullshit that has been watered down from it's original purpose and is now little more than an insider's party.

I have a friend who I personally helped them buy their very first gun a few months back...first gun ever. And you know where they are now? SHOT Show. They know the right people. Another is a friggin fitness instructor at a gym with zero ties to the industry. You know where they are? SHOT show. Daddy has enough money. I can go down a list of about 20 people with similar stories. If you know the right people you're getting in... but if not... too bad so sad.

To me the whole show creates a Hollywood type elite feeling and it pisses me off more at the organizers than anything. They are snubbing those of us who pay their bills.

Some random guy on Stickman's wall summed it up nicely the other day. Here's his quote:

"There is not much in life that aggravates an avid shooter any worse than hearing about a gathering of elitists to a fantastic show and venue that turns away the end user, paying public which is the life support, grits and gravy, of the very industry the show represents. As a consumer I pump literally thousands of dollars to support the firearms industry every year in guns, ammo, reloading supplies, accessories, hunts, and hours of television and I can’t even look through the window of the place. Rock on!!"

I don't know who the guy is that said it but I agree with him.

At the end of the day as long as SHOT show isn't to some degree open to the public, it deserves little support from the public.

alamo5000
19 January 2015, 19:58
I can sum this all up in one sentence:
There was some pretty cool girl on girl stuff in that video[wow]

YUP![:D]

voodoo_man
20 January 2015, 04:05
It is exactly what it needs to be.

The people who run the companies know who the sellers are, they know who the time waaters are and they can tell the difference.

When I went to warrior east the first day is jam packed with random mil people who dont know shit or want to buy shit. Then some random dude walks up wearing a badge with no name just initials from NSW and they get a personal convo going on. They know the deal and expect the random non industry person to show.

nCarnage
21 January 2015, 18:12
I want to go. UW, Stick, TripleB.....you can hire me for 1 week for Shot Show. I will take horrible photos with my camera phone (because im a crappy photographer). Dont even have to pay me. Just put a patch on my hat saying im a photographer/blogger in training. You know for next year's show.

Deadwing
22 January 2015, 01:40
I'd love to go to SHOT. But i know when i'm not wanted lol.

Former11B
22 January 2015, 09:23
I'd love to go to SHOT. But i know when i'm not wanted lol.

I'd like to go if I was the only guest there. Can't stand the crowds, despite the attraction

Deadwing
24 January 2015, 03:33
I'd like to go if I was the only guest there. Can't stand the crowds, despite the attraction

I'm with you on the crowds thing. Drives me crazy...