PDA

View Full Version : leupold vx-r 3-9 patrol firedot tmr

winniedonkey
25 January 2015, 18:45
I have a Gen 2 DPMS recon and looking at grabbing one of these scopes for the build, as well as adding a RMR on the front of the mount. Anyone get their hands on one of these scopes? Word on the street is they are a great scope for the money and great for keeping the build light.

toolboxluis00200
25 January 2015, 18:57
http://youtu.be/gzdVHnLaD-E

winniedonkey
26 January 2015, 11:58
thanks for the video, love me some 8541 Tactical, didn't know it was SFP, that drops it off the list.

tact
26 January 2015, 18:37
I had one I traded a CZ for. It was still brand new and never mounted. I was rather impressed even though I am not a huge Leupy fan in the first place. Clear glass, nice tight fire dot, fairly nice adjustments. Very nice scope for the money if your application requires a 3x9.

Ordnance
27 January 2015, 10:06
If you're strictly looking to FFP then you're really going to be looking at a Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST or I would suggest looking at a straight fixed 10x with either SWFA or the USO ST-10 (disclaimer: The ST-10 is the only USO I'll ever recommend these days).

winniedonkey
29 January 2015, 10:49
What is up with USO? are the having QC issues?

winniedonkey
29 January 2015, 10:54
I have a vortex 6-24x50 MRAD with the EBR-2C enroute on a custom bolt gun. I'll be shooting that with in days. I was considering the 2.5-10 as well, its on the top of my list actually, but was just seeing others opinions on different products. I think that 2-10 would be great with the RMR as well for its intended DMR roll. I want all my rifles to be fighting rifles, that's just the good ole 03 in me.

tact
29 January 2015, 11:36

SR6 that I own is just fine. Better than any Vortex I've used. It also boils down to personal preference. All these advisements are really just opinions.

Ordnance
29 January 2015, 17:03

They've had some issues since they've gone to the newer business model of more mass produced and less custom. I had one which kept having to get fixed, and another one which the reticle cracked and it took almost 2 months to get it replaced. There's been some issues with the glass not being as clear as some other manufacturers out there at 1/2 the price.

Ordnance
29 January 2015, 17:05
SR6 that I own is just fine. Better than any Vortex I've used. It also boils down to personal preference. All these advisements are really just opinions.

Better than a Razor? I have to disagree man. I've had both and side by side the Razor was better. I liked USO 5 years ago and they have options like the internal bubble level, but for the cost and less custom more mass produced I think there's better glass out there for considerably less.

Ordnance
29 January 2015, 17:07
Better yet... Go to a PRS or TRL match and look at the line. You won't see many USO's anymore other than a couple guys who are sponsored, and I've seen their other rigs which aren't wearing USO.

tact
29 January 2015, 17:19
Just stop already...we already beat this like a dead horse! Different strokes for different folks.....as I've stated each time. Yet you have to throw in the same diatribe. And yes I stand by my statements but like I've said I'm only basing my opinions on call of duty and milsim.

SINNER
29 January 2015, 17:35
I was a huge Vortex fan and I still own a few of their optics. A Viper PST 1-4 and a original Razor 1-4. While the glass itself is OK, they both have had multiple issues after a few years of very light use. The Viper has been serviced once for internal fogging issues and it now has the same issue again. The Razor's illumination is stuck on the highest intensity for the third time in 2 years and the zoom ring almost needs two hands to move it. I bet it has not been used 10 times since I bought it. I still kick myself for even spending $1100 on it when the prices fell with the 1-6 release. Only paid a few hundred more for a NF NXS and it is 10 times the scope that Razor is. Their warranty and CS is fantastic but it is only a band aid for average optics that are way overpriced IMO. FFP is way over rated on optics with a low starting zoom power or a very wide range. The ERB556 reticle just looks like a standard crosshair missing the top of the cross on the Razor until you get out to the upper end of the range. No better usability than the 2ndFP Viper.

Ordnance
30 January 2015, 10:22
Just stop already...we already beat this like a dead horse! Different strokes for different folks.....as I've stated each time. Yet you have to throw in the same diatribe. And yes I stand by my statements but like I've said I'm only basing my opinions on call of duty and milsim.

I'm having a discussion and you're resorting to calling my opinion/experience nothing but diatribe, and inferring that I'm calling you a video game player because I didn't agree with you. You said you compared it to Vortex but didn't state which mode, so I asked rather than just assuming. Maybe you should re-read what I actually wrote without interjecting whatever biased you have against me and making assumptions. The guy asked a question and I responded. You made a comment and I responded with a dissenting opinion. Sorry I won't just ignore someones opinion without interjecting a different opinion all for the sake of sparing someones feeling because they assume too much.

mustangfreek
30 January 2015, 15:39
lol...cant we all get along...

Damn hippies...lol...

UWone77
30 January 2015, 15:48
lol...cant we all get along...

Damn hippies...lol...

Ha!

You know, that's why I never try to give optics advice. It really is a personal thing. I will say though, I have noticed that Ordance has pointed out a lot less people using US Optics. I remember a few years back a lot more people seemed to be buying and using them. Honestly, without Stick giving away that USO Scope in his giveaway, I've heard virtually zero coming from USO. Just an observation from my point of view. On that note, I think the Razor offers some of the biggest bang for the buck.

winniedonkey
31 January 2015, 00:09
I have been looking for a deal on a SR-6 , I noticed they dropped in price on their web site, still a great deal, you can do a lot of work with a 6x with the right rifle

Ordnance
31 January 2015, 09:23
I have been looking for a deal on a SR-6 , I noticed they dropped in price on their web site, still a great deal, you can do a lot of work with a 6x with the right rifle

Make sure you're watching Snipershide as well. Their new site set-up sucks, but the exchange there still has good deals. I picked up an SN3 for $1750 there once with EREK, M40, Illumintaed, Internal Bubble, ARD, and caps in perfect shape.

winniedonkey
31 January 2015, 18:26
That's a titties deal. I go on there once a day to browse, it is a great place to score a deal.

docsherm
8 April 2015, 08:31
If anyone is interested, I have a VX-R 3x9 Patrol. I got is as a temp scope for my Noveske 18" SPR until I can figure out what scope I want. I will say that for the money it is the best scope in that power range. The glass is very clear, the red dot is true daytime visiable, and the adjustment knobs can be set to 0 after the scope is zeroed. Overall a great scope.

I got it over a year ago as a temp scope and have been so happy with it that my search for a permenant scope has been dragging on much longer than I intended.