PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate AR-15 Meltdown

UWone77
27 January 2015, 21:37
I don't usually watch 15+ minute YouTube Videos, but I do like Iraqveteran8888's videos, as they are entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BSizVpfqFtw

Txfilmmaker
27 January 2015, 21:48
I don't usually watch 15+ minute YouTube Videos, but I do like Iraqveteran8888's videos, as they are entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BSizVpfqFtw

Just finished watching him melt that barrel. I watched on full30.com. It's a new website. "Full30 is dedicated to providing shooting enthusiasts with quality content and a friendly community. Join us and explore Sport Shooting, Self-Defense, and Gun Reviews"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velocity2006
27 January 2015, 23:44
That barrel is toast for sure lol.

mustangfreek
28 January 2015, 01:41
Haha...that was entertaining...Sure looked like a squib or rounds just started cooking off premature or whatever happened..Good stuff...Kinda jelly of the full auto...something on my bucket list....

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 05:50
Did anyone keep track of the round count?

Dstrbdmedic167
28 January 2015, 06:19
Did anyone keep track of the round count?
I didn't myself but he said 830 in the video

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 06:21
I didn't myself but he said 830 in the video

Next time we get a thread talking about barrel life...let's put up this video. LOL

Dstrbdmedic167
28 January 2015, 06:25
Next time we get a thread talking about barrel life...let's put up this video. LOL

Thought the same thing. Lol

JHoward
28 January 2015, 06:50
Just saw this yesterday. Nuts.

Stone
28 January 2015, 08:51
I bet he could have got a few more rounds out of it with V7's Inconel gas tube. [:D]

Txfilmmaker
28 January 2015, 10:13
I bet he could have got a few more rounds out of it with V7's Inconel gas tube. [:D]

It would be interesting (and expensive) to see how different barrels held up.

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 11:39
He could have bought two barrels for what he just spent on ammo in this test.

JHoward
28 January 2015, 12:37

How's that?

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 19:27
It would be interesting (and expensive) to see how different barrels held up.

That would be interesting, but I would really like to see a video produced over the course of say a year showing more realistic shooting conditions. Just put a case or two per month through the thing and show the results. Put the guns in a gun range and let people rent the thing and shoot the crap out of it.

Either that or have a video about shot out barrels, talking about how they were shot, how they were treated, what the round counts are, and so on and so forth. Just burning the barrel off of a gun is fun and cool and all, but I would like to see more of what I can realistically expect for my money from various manufacturers.

Txfilmmaker
28 January 2015, 19:56
Makes sense. I saw comments on full 30.com that indicated people were impressed that the barrel lasted that long. It's kind of funny that watching a barrel get destroyed helps sell barrels. This barrel was stainless steel which is not supposed to hold up to the heat as well as a 4150 barrel would. According to the comments.

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 20:15
Makes sense. I saw comments on full 30.com that indicated people were impressed that the barrel lasted that long. It's kind of funny that watching a barrel get destroyed helps sell barrels. This barrel was stainless steel which is not supposed to hold up to the heat as well as a 4150 barrel would. According to the comments.

I was pretty impressed by the barrel being stainless steel. That's for sure. That said getting into metallurgy and all that is a whole different ball of wax. Different products are meant for different things and full auto is really a speciality thing if you ask me, the hardness, the heat, how the metal expands, and at what temperature, etc etc. I've tried to burn the barrel off of an MP5... we had that thing just SMOKING but not all barrels need to be able to stand up to that kind of abuse. I don't know what kind of metals are in an HK but it ain't stainless steel :)

Uffdaphil
28 January 2015, 20:59
That was fun. Would have liked to have had a second camera for closer slo-mo view of the "red zone."

I once watched a malfunctioning M-60 run through a 100 rd belt. All the prone shooter could do was hang on. The barrel turned bright cherry but held up.

UWone77
28 January 2015, 21:09
I'm honestly surprised they didn't use a milspec chrome lined barrel like in the original test they emulated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kzfm4pYhIyY

Deadwing
29 January 2015, 01:36
Holy hell!!! lol I was expecting the gas tube to go well before the barrel exploded lol.

Stone
29 January 2015, 10:23
How's that?

At 8:18 the gas tube fails and V7's Inconel tube has a much higher heat failure threshold.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-extreme-environment-gas-tube

DutyUse
29 January 2015, 11:00
Thought he said the gas tube was fine?

Dstrbdmedic167
29 January 2015, 14:54
Thought he said the gas tube was fine?

He did. You can't help but not see the barrel explode and the area when he takes it down.

Stone
30 January 2015, 05:39
Your right. His initial statement at 8:18 was "The gas tubes done" But then after further inspection and editing I suppose, said it was a barrel failure. I was fast forwarding and rewinding so much I missed that part. My bad...

DutyUse
30 January 2015, 08:34
Anyone who has seen a video like this expected a gas tube failure, it looked like several times it was close to rupturing.