PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Stock?

FortTom
28 January 2015, 20:10
I'm looking for a stock, I thought I saw once. The stock I'm looking for was a lightweight stock and resembled the ACE ultra light, but I'm thinking this stock was not fixed length. It was adjustable like a CTR or any other adjustable stock. Am I imagining this or does one really exist[crazy]??

Are there any other stocks out there that resemble the ACE ultra light, and if so, can someone help me find it?

Thanks,

FT

Dstrbdmedic167
28 January 2015, 20:22
Do you mean this stock? This is the first thing that comes to mind. I have 3 and I love them

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/28/00973293c61777d17c9849e2aca2836e.jpg
http://missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Rifle-Stocks/BATTLELINK-Utility-Stock_6

GOST
28 January 2015, 20:28
I'm currently running one also. In my opinion it's the best light weight stock on the market. 5.8 oz and the fit to the receiver extension is very good. I paid $48 for mine.

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 20:36
Do you mean this stock? This is the first thing that comes to mind. I have 3 and I love them

http://missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Rifle-Stocks/BATTLELINK-Utility-Stock_6

I like the look of those. FOR SURE. I have never played with one but I would like to get a feel for it.

I have to admit that I have been bitten by the bug. I have another project or 5 that I am mulling over in my head... and that stock would be a good addition to one of them.

The question I have though is how does the ultra light weight of the stock effect the overall balance of the rifle? Or does it?

Thompson
28 January 2015, 20:41
I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but I know that the Walmart by me (surprisingly) stocks a lot of the MTF items, to include this stock. Perhaps you could get a better idea if you could handle one yourself, versus staring at pictures on the interwebs?

Dstrbdmedic167
28 January 2015, 20:42
I like the look of those. FOR SURE. I have never played with one but I would like to get a feel for it.

I have to admit that I have been bitten by the bug. I have another project or 5 that I am mulling over in my head... and that stock would be a good addition to one of them.

Initially I was worried about snagging it on something but that hasn't happened and I've almost replaced all my rifles with them... I have one MOE and a MFT utility stock like this.. The other three and future builds will have it.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/28/5f541993782c375726a7e4015efe2aac.jpg

Edit: saw you update- I think it helps or doesn't change the balance of the rifle at all. It really is one you have to get your hands on to really experience it.

GOST
28 January 2015, 20:48
I tried the MFT Minimalist Stock cause it was cheap. It's become my favorite stock, I haven't tried the Magpul SL or the BCM Gufighter though. But I love this stock, very comfortable and no play on my receiver extension.

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 20:59
Initially I was worried about snagging it on something but that hasn't happened and I've almost replaced all my rifles with them... I have one MOE and a MFT utility stock like this.. The other three and future builds will have it.

Edit: saw you update- I think it helps or doesn't change the balance of the rifle at all. It really is one you have to get your hands on to really experience it.

I have my first AR (not sure if you saw the thread with pics) but I am running a Magpul ACS-L stock on it. I like it, but I am thinking of other kinds of builds that I can do. It's pretty interesting that this thread came up the same day I was thinking on all this stuff :)

One idea that keeps on going through my head is a 'race gun'. A relatively light set up... round carbon fiber or similar round rail with NO flat top...a lightweight reciever and bolt... with a stock like this... I would outfit it with a 1-4X and a 45 degree micro red dot... having a light weight setup like that seems like it would be pretty fun....

Dstrbdmedic167
28 January 2015, 20:59
I have my first AR (not sure if you saw the thread with pics) but I am running a Magpul ACS-L stock on it. I like it, but I am thinking of other kinds of builds that I can do. It's pretty interesting that this thread came up the same day I was thinking on all this stuff :)

One idea that keeps on going through my head is a 'race gun'. A relatively light set up... round carbon fiber or similar round rail with NO flat top...a lightweight reciever and bolt... with a stock like this... I would outfit it with a 1-4X and a 45 degree micro red dot... having a light weight setup like that seems like it would be pretty fun....

Yep it is... Get your card out now and get her built!!

alamo5000
28 January 2015, 21:07
Yep it is... Get your card out now and get her built!!

I just built the one I have now just before Christmas! You're making my wallet hurt!!!

I have so many things I want... I need a few million to blow on stuff.

Dstrbdmedic167
28 January 2015, 21:10
I just built the one I have now just before Christmas! You're making my wallet hurt!!!

I have so many things I want... I need a few million to blow on stuff.

Just wait until you get into NFA items hahaha. Then the real fun (and wallet hurt) begins

FortTom
29 January 2015, 00:35

S.O.A.B! , that's it. I couldn't think of the name of it or the company to save my life. I went over pictures for hours and couldn't find it. Also, I'm not at all concerned about it hanging up on branches. This one is going on a dedicated .277 Wolverine Coyote / Varmint gun.

Thanks to all of you. I was really stressing, trying to find that sucker.[bash]

BTW - does it fit pretty snug, e.g. no wobble?

Thanks again,[BD]

FT

Dstrbdmedic167
29 January 2015, 01:20
S.O.A.B! , that's it. I couldn't think of the name of it or the company to save my life. I went over pictures for hours and couldn't find it. Also, I'm not at all concerned about it hanging up on branches. This one is going on a dedicated .277 Wolverine Coyote / Varmint gun.

Thanks to all of you. I was really stressing, trying to find that sucker.[bash]

Thanks again,[BD]

FT

All mine are as snug as a CTR with the brake on.... Glad I could help you remember lol

mustangfreek
29 January 2015, 02:33
I also bought a MFT minimalist stock a while back and at first wasnt sure how i would like it, Honestly it and the ctr are my favs..

Mine locks up solid, better then the ctr's for me ..Id say go for it FT...

CK 187
29 January 2015, 04:46
I like the looks of them a lot. When I swap out a CTR, I plan on giving one of these a try

BoilerUp
29 January 2015, 06:00
I'm working on a lightweight build an am torn between the ACE entry length skeleton stock and the MFT minimalist carbine stock. I believe the ACE is a tad lighter in total. Rifle is intended primarily for the ladies in my life (wife and daughter).

While I've been leaning towards the ACE due to weight, I'm now starting to think that an extra ounce or two would be worth it for an adjustable stock.

Any recommendations from the Lightweight builders here?

GOST
29 January 2015, 06:25
I'm working on a lightweight build an am torn between the ACE entry length skeleton stock and the MFT minimalist carbine stock. I believe the ACE is a tad lighter in total. Rifle is intended primarily for the ladies in my life (wife and daughter).

While I've been leaning towards the ACE due to weight, I'm now starting to think that an extra ounce or two would be worth it for an adjustable stock.

Any recommendations from the Lightweight builders here?

A V7 receiver extension weighs 3.6 oz. combined with the MFT minimalist stock for a total weight of 9.4 oz. That would leave you 0.3 oz. lighter than the Ace entry length skeleton stock.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/1029/products/IMG_0661_1024x1024.JPG?v=1412439956

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/lower-parts/products/v7-carbine-buffer-tube

BoilerUp
29 January 2015, 20:37
A V7 receiver extension weighs 3.6 oz. combined with the MFT minimalist stock for a total weight of 9.4 oz. That would leave you 0.3 oz. lighter than the Ace entry length skeleton stock.

Thanks, Gost. I had never seen that before and I'm thinking that would be a great setup. Perusing the V7 website for the first time tells me they will be getting some of my hard earned cash pretty soon.

GOST
29 January 2015, 20:41
V7 is Joel that was at Noveske. They seem to specialize in light weight parts.

din
29 January 2015, 20:46
GOST, weren't they working on an A5-compatible extension tube?

Guinnesseb
29 January 2015, 21:51

Thanks again,[BD]

FT

I'll second what others have already said.. Have one on mine and it is very snug.. No wobble whatsoever.. Was a little bit of a bugger going on but after that its good to go.. Loving it so far..

Ride4frnt
29 January 2015, 22:03
My MFT is almost TOO tight

GOST
30 January 2015, 02:10
GOST, weren't they working on an A5-compatible extension tube?

Yes from what I've read. BCM is another that's made an A5 extension, the only difference between it and the VLTOR is that it has 8 positions.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Receiver-Extension-A5-Buffer-Tub-p/bcm-intermediate-re.htm

UWone77
31 January 2015, 01:15
Does the weight for the ACE include a castle nut or end plate? Not familiar with the ACE. I'm guessing you'll have to get a V7 Titanium End plate and Castle Nut to complete the lightweight stock for maximum weight savings.

SINNER
31 January 2015, 03:15
The ACE entry length does not use a castle nut or endplate. They use a machined gusset and essentially install like a A2 stock.