PDA

View Full Version : My $22 Streamlight TLR-1

tappedandtagged
28 January 2015, 20:58
Back in September, I happened across a guy selling a used, old TLR-1 on a Facebook gun group. It seems this light had been around for a long time and was "old" technology. The seller said it was VERY dim. But since he only wanted $15, I figured what the hell.

I brought it home, put fresh batteries in and turned it on. It was so dim that my $2 hardware store checkout aisle LED battery outshone it. Yeah, that's right, the little LED lights that hold 3 AAA batteries was brighter than this new Streamlight. I was a bit disappointed, but hey, I was warned.

I stuck it in a drawer where it remained till early January. I stumbled across it while cleaning some crap up and figured I'd give Streamlight a call and ask about it. I explained to the rep where I had gotten it and how dim it was. He instructed me to send it in with a note summarizing what I had told him with a return address and phone number. It cost me $7 to send it in. The tracking number showed they received my light on Jan. 6th. I checked in on it last Friday and was told it had shipped back "repaired" on Jan. 22nd.

Well, I got it back today. And man is this thing bright! I can clearly and easily see 75 yards with it. Oh, and they shipped it back with new batteries. Seems they basically gutted my old TLR-1 body, put a new LED assembly and head on it and shipped it back.

I have been very pleased with this customer service experience. Streamlight was fully in their right to refuse to warranty my light since it was an old, third hand light. They never balked at me not being the original owner or even questioned the light's lineage. They just fixed it, period.

Now, I have a "new" TLR-1 for a grand total of $22, plus gas to the post office. [:D]