PDA

View Full Version : Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver?

P7rancher
29 November 2008, 15:34
Anyone know why Noveske does not include the Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver on their basic models? If it were an available upgrade would it be worth a reasonable up charge?

I asked this on another forum with no response.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks for any help.

Stickman
29 November 2008, 20:25
My understanding is that the basic model is exactly that, basic. There are already people online who complain about the Noveske N4 weapon series prices, so I can understand why John left them as a standard upper.

I have experience with them, if there is something I can answer for you, let me know. I consider them to be the heaviest duty upper receiver around. The only downside would be the price, and that some people will find the takedown pin holes a little tight until they get enough rounds down range. I don't look at those items as a detriment, I consider it par for the course when looking at upper end gear.

Army Chief
2 January 2009, 00:57
I went the Noveske VIS (Afghan) route, but the one thing that I've quietly wondered about where the MUR is concerned deals with the modular Forward Assist. Granted, I think most builds are still going to use the FA-equipped variant, but I find it instructive that VLTOR saw fit to make a retrograde conversion possible (i.e. back to no FA).

It has become more common to hear operators and trainers observe that the FA serves no essential purpose, and I suspect VLTOR's decision to manufacturer a non-FA capability is reflective of this school of thought. Why then, have others not followed suit, and why do most MURs still appear with a FA?

Perhaps the questions are rhetorical to some degree, but I just found it odd that VLTOR made the MUR to go either way, rather than to produce two distinct variants -- or one which reflected their position on the FA issue, which is presumably that it isn't particularly necessary.

It's a strange thing to consider as a 25 year Soldier, as I've been taught from the first day that a M-16A1 was pressed into my hands that the FA was probably the most important piece of equipment on the entire rifle (slight exaggeration intended there). In the aftermath of the M-16's teething problems, I suppose that seemed like sound thinking, but I find it interesting that today we have reached the point where those "in the know" are acknowledging that the FA isn't adding all that much to the equation, after all.

The MUR would seem to provide a poignant example of how our thinking has evolved, though it may be worth repeating that I still don't see too many non-FA versions of it on the line. I guess old habits die hard.

Chief

parabellum
2 January 2009, 12:05
i like mine. the FA looks cool too. Vltor makes great stuff. the MUR and VIS are both terrific uppers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/parabellum9x19mm/1218080859.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/parabellum9x19mm/1218080901.jpg