PDA

View Full Version : photo-stealing companies

voodoo_man
9 February 2015, 07:11
http://instagram.com/p/y26X9QShIt/

my blog post about it:
http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2015/02/companies-having-crappy-business.html

Stick jumped on and helped piss on these thieves who remained silent in their shame.

CK 187
9 February 2015, 07:44
I saw that on FB and IG. Pretty shitty deal overall. I'm sure way more common than anyone outside the industry understands

Pyzik
9 February 2015, 08:11
I try not to follow these reposters.

voodoo_man
9 February 2015, 08:35
I try not to follow these reposters.

Only reason I do is to see what is trending.

Sometimes they have "new new new" type of stuff that you'd miss on other feeds.

toolboxluis00200
9 February 2015, 09:33
I remember this happening to stick on FB a few years ago boy it was popstorm

alamo5000
9 February 2015, 16:11
I feel your pain voodoo man. I have several friends that get ripped off in a big way. It's just NOT cool to steal. Not even a little bit.

Eric
10 February 2015, 04:03
What really irritates me is companies knowingly stealing your work to put money in their pocket. I had a couple places Photoshop out my lame watermark even, then claim they did not know where it came from. It's not that I've ever taken photos for a paycheck, but there's still no excuse for it.

Farva
10 February 2015, 17:59
Can't stand thieves. Wether it's intellectual property or physical it pisses me off. That being said I've been meaning to find some of you guys on Instagram 😁 I enjoy the pictures. I have a degree in photography but haven't shot anything with lights in sometime.

GOST
10 February 2015, 19:47
There are a lot of more things stolen than people realize. Sometimes your new favorite product is a stolen idea. I personally have had artwork that companies paid for stolen. Then when they lose revinue then I get hired less. Then all my extra cash go towards ammo, my projects are funded by design work I'm paid for. But you'd be surprised at the amount of things that you purchase that were stolen.

Cotton68spc
12 February 2015, 04:58
It's sad but more and more companies are free booting pics videos and what ever else they can get their hands on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voodoo_man
2 March 2015, 09:08
I posted in reference to an image of mine used without my consent. I have had constructive conversation with G-Code and it has been determined that this was a misunderstanding. G-Code has handled it with well and with a high degree of integrity which has led to me doing some work with them in the future.

I have no ill feelings towards G-Code with regard to this situation, I even pointed out that I did a review of their INCOG Holster System and that I would like the opportunity to do another review of it since my original did not have positive results.

Pyzik
2 March 2015, 09:09
I posted in reference to an image of mine used without my consent. I have had constructive conversation with G-Code and it has been determined that this was a misunderstanding. G-Code has handled it with well and with a high degree of integrity which has led to me doing some work with them in the future.

I have no ill feelings towards G-Code with regard to this situation, I even pointed out that I did a review of their INCOG Holster System and that I would like the opportunity to do another review of it since my original did not have positive results.

Great to hear. Glad things were worked out so professionally.

Thompson
2 March 2015, 10:04

Whoo! Glad to hear things turned itself around. Would definitely be interested in hearing a second review of the INCOG holster.

FortTom
2 March 2015, 15:29

Voodoo, I'm glad you got it worked out. Maybe they might even pay you for some work now. But I have a question. On written material, all you have to do is put the copy right sign and date on it and you're covered.

I thought photography was the same. I remember several years ago, my mother wanted to get some old pictures from the very early 60s, of me, my sister and my late father reprinted for all of us. She couldn't get copies because they had Olan Mills (name?) printed in the corner. They (photo shop) told her that they (OM) owned the copyright to those pics and they cannot be reproduced without permission.?

voodoo_man
2 March 2015, 16:04
Voodoo, I'm glad you got it worked out. Maybe they might even pay you for some work now. But I have a question. On written material, all you have to do is put the copy right sign and date on it and you're covered.

I thought photography was the same. I remember several years ago, my mother wanted to get some old pictures from the very early 60s, of me, my sister and my late father reprinted for all of us. She couldn't get copies because they had Olan Mills (name?) printed in the corner. They (photo shop) told her that they (OM) owned the copyright to those pics and they cannot be reproduced without permission.?

I honestly do not know in your case, but in general digital/online photography is copy written as soon as you post it anywhere. You retain all rights to it solely, regardless of watermarks, logos or whatever.

I know some social media places have sections built-in to the contract agreement of use that they can use your pictures but I believe you still retain original ownership and they must link to your FB page (or something like that).

gatordev
2 March 2015, 17:16
I honestly do not know in your case, but in general digital/online photography is copy written as soon as you post it anywhere. You retain all rights to it solely, regardless of watermarks, logos or whatever.

Interestingly this does not apply to DoD personnel while taking pictures in the line of duty. If I take a picture of a sweet pimped out Pinto on the weekend, on my own time, I retain the rights, but if I take a pic of said Pinto right before a Hellfire enters its windshield while conducting my daily state of affairs in the service of the DoD, I can't claim ownership since the government can't retain it's own copyright from the people. I don't know, but have never heard of anything similar for local/state government entities.

Copyright is weird.

voodoo_man
2 March 2015, 17:35
Interestingly this does not apply to DoD personnel while taking pictures in the line of duty. If I take a picture of a sweet pimped out Pinto on the weekend, on my own time, I retain the rights, but if I take a pic of said Pinto right before a Hellfire enters its windshield while conducting my daily state of affairs in the service of the DoD, I can't claim ownership since the government can't retain it's own copyright from the people. I don't know, but have never heard of anything similar for local/state government entities.

Copyright is weird.

It makes sense.

You are being paid to do a job, so under the contract from your employer, unless otherwise stated, can be use to whatever end they want.

gatordev
3 March 2015, 04:09
It makes sense.

You are being paid to do a job, so under the contract from your employer, unless otherwise stated, can be use to whatever end they want.

Oh, absolutely. Didn't mean for it to sound like I was arguing it. It's just something very particular about Federal employment. I need to go back and look it up if it's in a USC or not. It just makes me wonder if there's anything like that for, say, a state agency.

Fathom_Arms
4 March 2015, 19:48
I agree that it is really frustrating. It sucks having to even bring it up/call someone out because you inevitably creates drama and enemies.

voodoo_man
5 March 2015, 04:44
I agree that it is really frustrating. It sucks having to even bring it up/call someone out because you inevitably creates drama and enemies.

The internet makes it easy to forget copy right and that people make a living doing photography.

Fathom_Arms
5 March 2015, 17:43
The internet makes it easy to forget copy right and that people make a living doing photography.

Yes it does. Thats why I always give credit to the photographers that shoot our gear. I definitely understand.