PDA

View Full Version : Multi-cal Suppressors

Pyzik
13 February 2015, 12:21
Okay so here is what receiving a 16" upper has done to me... I've been thinking about suppressors. [BD]
Before this Troy upper I didn't have a 16" upper so the suppressor I was looking at wouldn't have worked on my ARs.

I've been eyeballing Liberty Suppressor's Mystic X. Can handle 9mm, 5.56 (out of a 16" barrel) and .22 (pretty well too).

Are there other multi-cal suppressors that are worth considering? My google-fu must be week today.

toolboxluis00200
13 February 2015, 12:35
.22lr can
.45 can
30cal can
if i had the money i go this route and it will cover ever thing

Pyzik
13 February 2015, 12:47
.22lr can
.45 can
30cal can
if i had the money i go this route and it will cover ever thing

I meant one can that does it all (.30cal down to .22). Like the Mystic X.

Dstrbdmedic167
13 February 2015, 13:26
Sounds like you've already got you're mind made up lol. And just know once you have one you'll "need" a few more.

For what you're looking the mystic X sounds like what you're looking. Kinda heavy for a .22 suppressor but should and would be a good can.

toolboxluis00200
13 February 2015, 13:38
I meant one can that does it all (.30cal down to .22). Like the Mystic X.

i now what you ment but from what i have seen lots of ppl go this route
but you fill that the Mystic X is the best for you and it is what you are looking for the go for it [:D]

Pyzik
13 February 2015, 13:39
Sounds like you've already got you're mind made up lol. And just know once you have one you'll "need" a few more.

For what you're looking the mystic X sounds like what you're looking. Kinda heavy for a .22 suppressor but should and would be a good can.
It does sound good... see what I did there? Haha

I just can't seem to find anything similar to compare it to.

Dstrbdmedic167
13 February 2015, 13:43
It does sound good... see what I did there? Haha

I just can't seem to find anything similar to compare it to.

Haha and you can't and won't because there isn't. At least not that I'm aware of... It's nice to have it user serviceable but shooting a 308 would have me personally worried a little.

308 and large caliber rifles have so much pressure. That's why "most" companies have the as a welded one piece unit. I've heard(not seen) of end caps just blowing off from the pressure. I'm sure it's one of those far and few between/ 1 in a mil type thing but industry standard seems to be a 1 piece non user serviceable rifle cans. The pistol and 22 don't have that much pressure so that isn't an issue.

Just my 2 cents and food for thought.

Edit: I know you said just 223 but always I always plan for bigger just because you never know...

tact
13 February 2015, 13:53
I sort of went that route, but obviously not what you are considering. Two 30 cal and one 556. I wanted to keep the 9 and 22 stuff separate from the larger rifle cans simply based on size and dedicating those two seem to perform better. Those are next on the menu. So my rifle cans can handle down to 7.5" barreled 5.56 up to a 300 RUM. I can change out an end cap on a 762 can an make it even quieter on a 5.56. All mounts work with each other and I use QD. The pistol stuff has the pistons and thread mounts that I don't care to change out all the time.

voodoo_man
13 February 2015, 14:20
"the one" from gemtech

I have one coming to me eventually.

when they are going to start coming into the wild you will kick yourself for not having one.

Pyzik
13 February 2015, 15:49
"the one" from gemtech

when they are going to start coming into the wild you will kick yourself for not having one.
I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm not in the market just yet anyway. Still in the planning stages.

cjd3
17 February 2015, 21:00
I sort of went that route, but obviously not what you are considering. Two 30 cal and one 556. I wanted to keep the 9 and 22 stuff separate from the larger rifle cans simply based on size and dedicating those two seem to perform better. Those are next on the menu. So my rifle cans can handle down to 7.5" barreled 5.56 up to a 300 RUM. I can change out an end cap on a 762 can an make it even quieter on a 5.56. All mounts work with each other and I use QD. The pistol stuff has the pistons and thread mounts that I don't care to change out all the time.
Is that the Saker 762? I'm looking at getting that one for a 300 BLK SBR, and my 2 5.56 in production.

rob_s
18 February 2015, 02:50
If no one else is making a can like the one you asked about, I would consider that a clue.

I would not mix rimfore, handgun, and centerfire rifle ammo in a can. One of each, however, is probably a better route.

I was considering "the one" but then found out about the Omega. It's what I'll be buying shortly.

And, unlike every other choad in this thread, I'll give you a link.
http://www.silencerco.com/products/omega/

GOST
18 February 2015, 04:29
The Omega is also on my radar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2HmiW3WDWGE

Dsully
31 March 2015, 09:04
"the one" from gemtech

Yes, this. Should be a great option.

Pyzik,

You wont be happy with that. Eventually, you will be sick of shooting a 16" AR with a can. They become VERY long. You're best bet is to go with a 308 can and a 45 can.

Pyzik
31 March 2015, 11:16
Yes, this. Should be a great option.

Pyzik,

You wont be happy with that. Eventually, you will be sick of shooting a 16" AR with a can. They become VERY long. You're best bet is to go with a 308 can and a 45 can.

That's partially what I was worried about.
Finances are changing at home for now anyway so it's going to be a bit.

With my new job the wife is really wanting to stay home with the baby so rather than having more money, we're going to have about 35% less.... LOL.

Dsully
31 March 2015, 11:29
Bummer. She'll eventually want to work again to be around adults

DutyUse
31 March 2015, 11:50
That's partially what I was worried about.
Finances are changing at home for now anyway so it's going to be a bit.

With my new job the wife is really wanting to stay home with the baby so rather than having more money, we're going to have about 35% less.... LOL.

Ha sounds eerily familiar..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
31 March 2015, 12:17
This thread is pretty timely for me. I considered getting a bigger mulit caliber can but now I'm shying away from it. Before I buy here in a little while its good to get feedback.

From more than one source on the interwebs I've seen people reporting that their mounts eventually messed up after a year or two of using it. From what I gathered the constant taking it off and putting it on eventually wore out parts of it.

The other thing in my mind is that a bigger caliber suppressor won't work as efficiently as one built for that caliber. So if we are talking sheer performance a .30 cal can on a 5.56 will be noticeably louder than a 5.56 can on a 5.56 rifle.

Maybe I'm wrong but it would be nice to know if I am wrong before I drop a grand on a suppressor.

Dsully
31 March 2015, 12:38
This thread is pretty timely for me. I considered getting a bigger mulit caliber can but now I'm shying away from it. Before I buy here in a little while its good to get feedback.

From more than one source on the interwebs I've seen people reporting that their mounts eventually messed up after a year or two of using it. From what I gathered the constant taking it off and putting it on eventually wore out parts of it.

The other thing in my mind is that a bigger caliber suppressor won't work as efficiently as one built for that caliber. So if we are talking sheer performance a .30 cal can on a 5.56 will be noticeably louder than a 5.56 can on a 5.56 rifle.

Maybe I'm wrong but it would be nice to know if I am wrong before I drop a grand on a suppressor.

That depends on the suppressor. My 762-SDN-6 works outstanding on 556 rifles. On my Instagram account I have a video of me shooting a LWRCi PDW with an 8.5" barrel with the SDN on it. Tell me that isn't darn quite for a 556 SBR through a 762 can. It's pretty impressive. I haven't had my hands on Gemtech's the One suppressor yet but I tell anyone looking for a rifle can for 308 and 556 to get the SDN. You can't beat it

toolboxluis00200
31 March 2015, 12:51

ok answer this are you going to be a volume shooter? or a recreational shooter?

alamo5000
31 March 2015, 13:05
I am 110% recreational.

And FWIW I don't mind buying more suppressors when or if the need arises. If the first one goes smooth then we will see.

I place a premium on performance though. I don't want to spend all the money to get it half way done.

I am sure it does depend largely on the suppressor....

Pyzik
31 March 2015, 13:24
Bummer. She'll eventually want to work again to be around adults
I told her when the kid goes to school she will be going back to work. I made it quite clear that this is temporary.

Ha sounds eerily familiar..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah fun times. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of fishing this year.

toolboxluis00200
31 March 2015, 13:33
I am 110% recreational.

And FWIW I don't mind buying more suppressors when or if the need arises. If the first one goes smooth then we will see.

I place a premium on performance though. I don't want to spend all the money to get it half way done.

I am sure it does depend largely on the suppressor....

i was only asking becose to me if its just for recreational. i wont use it as much so parts wont give out over time i can keep it longer less maintains
if i did volume shooting like use it all the time then yes i will buy dedicated suppressors 30cal,556,9mm,22lr
but that is just me i now that ever body will think differently
but ultimately its up to you :)

Former11B
31 March 2015, 17:26
I shoot suppressed rifles from 24" to 10.5". 20"+ is usually shot supported with limited unsupported fire. Working on an 18" AR but I have zero trouble with the 16" platform suppressed.

The first suppressed AR I had was, and still is, my absolute favorite. It is weighty because of the match barrel, suppressor, and my optic choice (about 11.5lbs with full mag) but it's set up how I want it. It can be a prone/bench shooting rifle or a run and gun. I don't want to Form 1 any more lowers. I train with it and got accustomed to the weight.

To minimize the weight on a 16" AR, get a dedicated 556 can (smaller and lighter than 7.62 versions) like the Griffin RECCE 5. Full size can and performance in a14 ounce package. Or go a step further with the Gemtech Trek T (titanium) at 10oz. Be aware titanium cans are usually more expensive than stainless versions.

If Ti is out but weight and cost is still a factor, look at the Mini 556 cans. Innovative Arms Grunt Mini: 13oz, 5" (sounds great btw), SpecWar 556K (6", 14oz), AAC Mini-4...lots of options and most sound really good on 16"+ barrels. The shorter the barrel the less effective they'll be

Trying to get one can go do the job of 5 will make you unhappy.