PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Devices

Eric
18 February 2015, 21:33
I was thinking back to when I first started cruising the Internet many years ago (remember AOL and dial up!) and how far we have come. While most of my browsing is still done on a regular computer, I use Tapatalk on my phone daily as well. I was curious to hear what kind of mobile devices/cell phones everyone is using and why. My main phone is a Samsung S4, which was a refurb that I picked up for about $280. I also picked up a Motorola Moto G (2014) for $159. The screen size is similar on both, about 5", which is just about right for decent viewing, while still being portable enough. The S4 usually has a bit faster connection (up to 65 Mbps on LTE in the right spot, up to 125 Mpbs on the home Wifi) , but the Moto G (no LTE) still streams videos just fine. I'm on T-Mobile which has a good signal in my area and I like their plan structure for the 6 phones I have on one account. The price-point on both phones was fairly low compared to newer and higher end ones, like the iPhone 6, but I'm not willing to spend that on a phone.

Ride4frnt
18 February 2015, 21:38
I'm still on an iPhone 5. I stay on iphone for simplicity. Maybe it's that I know the OS, but I cannot get used to android at all. I haven't upgraded yet mainly because I don't want to lock myself into another 2 years with this provider just yet, and my 5 runs fine. If it goes haywire, I have thought about making the leap to android. I haven't been impressed with iPhone updates at all. I love the phones, but they are just now getting features android had 4 years ago.

Thompson
18 February 2015, 21:38
Ah ... I do remember the days of dial up ... oh the joys of video games lol.

I've got a little burner phone (Tracfone) ... so ALL of my connectivity is computer based. I'd like to get a smart phone; no one in my family has one ... so the cost of the phone, data, monthly fees for one person .................................................. .....

One day I'll get probably iPhone or Samsung ... primarily because Magpul makes cases for them .. and BDL does cerakote jobs for said case [:D]

GOST
18 February 2015, 21:56
I use an iPhone 6 plus cause I'm more familiar with OS like Ride.

GOST
18 February 2015, 21:58
Anyone using the shot timer app?

Deadwing
19 February 2015, 03:40
I've got an iPhone 5S. I love the intuitive simplicity of Apple's iOS, and ease of connectivity to everything else in the house (MacBook, Apple TV, etc.). I somehow manage to fill 64GB of space (music and photos mostly). But given 64GB doesn't even scratch the surface of my music collection, i guess i shouldn't be surprised lol.

I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll have to check it out.

alamo5000
19 February 2015, 04:52
I tried to get taptalk to work on my phone and for some reason I had a hard time. I go to WEVO through my browser.

As for the phone I have about a 4+ year old Android Samsung Nexus. I used to have a Blackberry but it died and they didn't carry a replacement.

I am not a big phone talker. I might burn 20-30 minutes a month talking on the phone with some exceptions to that. I once went about two years with no phone whatsoever. It was awesome, but that's a different story for a different time.

In a way Facebook, WEVO, and a photography forum I belong to are my little escape hatches throughout the day. When I go on breaks I can check out from what I am doing. That and some occasional texting pretty much sums up my phone usage. OH, and I listen to about 2gigs worth a music a month with my phone :)

Dstrbdmedic167
19 February 2015, 05:14
I have an iPhone 6 and have one for all the same reasons above. I use tapatalk for all my forums except one. That forum isn't tapatalk compatible.

Thompson
19 February 2015, 05:14
Believe me, there's an app for EVERYTHING.

I've even seen a ballistics calculator app. Tim used it in one of his videos, way back (either early last year, or the year before).

Uffdaphil
19 February 2015, 05:31
When my Mac died a couple years ago I got an iPad for a temporary substitute. I'll never go back to a desktop. My cell is only my second - an old dino I've never gone online with. Like Alamo I use few minutes per month and text only when I have to in response.

I will be getting an iPhone6+ for the camera mainly. It saddens me to see how little people interact in public these days. So many hunched over their phones messaging and not talking, ignoring all around them. Good hunting ground for muggers and purse snatchers though.

Txfilmmaker
19 February 2015, 05:43
Another iPhone 6+ here. Gift from brother. I was using a Galaxy Android before. I like the iPhone OS much better. I chose the 6+ for the optical image stabilization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyrannosaur
19 February 2015, 06:03
I'm rockin an android Motorola RAZR HD. This is based on the sole fact my son has a knack for destroying my phones and this had kevlar backing and gorilla glass. Its been 3 years and no cracks just the casing is loose, nothing a half strip of duck tape can't fix.

Oh yeah and no case on it either. It sucks on speed and I am not a techy kinda guy but 98% of my internet is on this thing. I'll also add I hate technology. But can't get away from it

2ATA
19 February 2015, 06:33
Was an IPhone 5, now I'm running a Galaxy S4, rooted and all processors running at max. It's faaasst. Love it.

GaSwamper
19 February 2015, 06:55
I have used the GZ phones since they were flip phones. Currently use the G'zOne 4g android, I've sunk em in water, ran over with the car and 4 wheeler, dropped from 30' to concrete. Still tickin!

Pyzik
19 February 2015, 06:59
I am currently using a Note 4. The only reason I got it was upgrade time was right during all the Christmas sales and I got it for $100.

I got used the size except with a case on it. I hate cases on phones but since phone insurance SUCKS now I don't want to break an $800 phone.

I chose the Note 4 over the S5 for it's processing speed.

GOST
19 February 2015, 06:59

I have used it on a friends Droid, but I haven't downloaded it for my phone yet. It worked fairly well on his phone.

Pyzik
19 February 2015, 07:01
I played with a timer for dryfiring. Works well enough.

Calengor
19 February 2015, 08:53
I've had iPhones since the 3G. I can't get used to any of the android OS phones I've tried, and at this point I'm invested in the apple ecosystem with a macbook air and a 21" mac plus some other things.

3G, 4, 5.

Never really had any problems with them until my 5, which seemed to self destruct from mid January until early February. I now have a 6 and am very happy with it.

CK 187
19 February 2015, 09:49
Galaxy S5

Use it for pretty much everything except ordering the bulk of online stuff. I do that at my work computer on a more secure network

Computalotapus
19 February 2015, 15:20
Nokia Lumia Icon Windows Phone. For what I do and what I work on the windows phone makes it just easier and it integrates with my desktop, xbox, full MS office support (word, excel, publisher and outlook). If MS doesn't release another flagship phone this year I will probably be moving to an android device.

DutyUse
19 February 2015, 23:51
Let the redneck jokes commence but this iPhone 5 something was my first cell phone ever. Never texted or saw a reason until my wife forced the issue a few years back. Tough transition after 20 years of phone calls

Txfilmmaker
20 February 2015, 07:09
Let the redneck jokes commence but this iPhone 5 something was my first cell phone ever. Never texted or saw a reason until my wife forced the issue a few years back. Tough transition after 20 years of phone calls

When I was picking up my iPhone 6+, a lady came in to upgrade her "flip" phone. :-o I'm getting use to texting...

SINNER
20 February 2015, 07:45
iPhone 6 and a IPad Air for day to day because they rarely if ever crash. More laptops than I care to admit around the house.

Eric
26 July 2015, 23:36
Nokia Lumia Icon Windows Phone. For what I do and what I work on the windows phone makes it just easier and it integrates with my desktop, xbox, full MS office support (word, excel, publisher and outlook). If MS doesn't release another flagship phone this year I will probably be moving to an android device.
Still on that Lumia WP?

I see the new Nokia 640 is only $79. (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/AT-T--Microsoft-Lumia-640-Black--No-Contract/productID.320816400?tduid=91d71af69decf9e54746a229 e546f670) The specs look okay, especially given the price. I like that it has a removable battery and micro SD card slot, which most manufacturers have stopped offering. Like a lot of newer devices, it supports LTE band 12 (700mhz) for T-Mobile, which is supposedly in my area now. It seems the downfall is the limited selections available in the app store.

Computalotapus
27 July 2015, 04:51
Still on that Lumia WP?

I see the new Nokia 640 is only $79. (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/AT-T--Microsoft-Lumia-640-Black--No-Contract/productID.320816400?tduid=91d71af69decf9e54746a229 e546f670) The specs look okay, especially given the price. I like that it has a removable battery and micro SD card slot, which most manufacturers have stopped offering. Like a lot of newer devices, it supports LTE band 12 (700mhz) for T-Mobile, which is supposedly in my area now. It seems the downfall is the limited selections available in the app store.

Yep still on it. Won't be in it much longer. MS decided no more flagship phones. Yes the biggest downfall is the lack of apps for the windows platform, other than that I have been extremely happy with the phone.