PDA

View Full Version : Lite

BoilerUp
20 February 2015, 07:20
The sickness continues. The next build is a lightweight carbine. Thanks to PA's sale last week I picked up the MI Lightweight M-LOK 12" handguard which provided me the barrel nut I need to mount my Voodoo Innovations 16" mid-length gas EVO Ultra-Lite barrel to my Aero Precision no-FA upper

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-ND4mF2r/0/L/i-ND4mF2r-L.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-gCC3dxT/0/L/i-gCC3dxT-L.jpg

I'm waiting on the gas tube (a Voodoo Innovations "life coat" version) to arrive before I install the DD clamp-on gas block.

I threw the MI handguard on just to play with it. I'm pretty impressed with the weight (8.2 oz) and looks. I'm not used to such a skinny handguard but I think I'll like it:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-vJ9fZvj/0/L/i-vJ9fZvj-L.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-BXbrnmf/0/L/i-BXbrnmf-L.jpg

Still need to order a muzzle device and the lower this is destined for will take a while to complete, but I''ll run it on another lower I have destined for an SPR since it will be a while before I order the barrel for that build.

I don't think my wife is going to be very pleased when she finally realizes that all those boxes showing up over the past few months amount to another rifle or two in the safe.

GOST
20 February 2015, 09:36
Looks very nice, what muzzle device are you getting?

RiverRat
20 February 2015, 12:26
I have been using nearly the same upper configuration for a while now (Rainer no-FA upper, 14.5" EVO UL with pinned Wilson Accutac, MI Gen 2 rail).

You're going to like this when you get it finished......

And oh yeah, you might want to check that DD block to make sure the rail clears it......that was one of my concerns when I looked at it.

toolboxluis00200
20 February 2015, 12:28
looking good can not wait

FortTom
20 February 2015, 18:19
I've already done this about a year or so back. I think I even wrote about it. About the only "non-essential" thing I hung off of it was a Epsilon VG6 muzzle brake. The Voodoo barrel is insanely light, and to my surprise, still hold zero fairly well when heated up, compared to a HBAR or heavier barrel, and weighed in a 1lb. 3oz's. if I recall. I used a MI KMR, but the builds could almost be identical. Enjoy the build, mine wears an Aimpoint H1, with MBUS', and I love the weight. It's pretty much my go to rifle, out of six, that I would grab for most situations. Have fun.[:D]

BoilerUp
20 February 2015, 19:11
Looks very nice, what muzzle device are you getting?

Probably the V7 muzzle brake in black nitride.

The DD .625 low pro clamp on gas block clears the handguard just fine.

DutyUse
20 February 2015, 19:53
Nice functional build Boiler, Well done sir!

FortTom did you say you also have a LW voodoo melonite barrel on one of yours? Many rounds on it yet, would love to hear your overall thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric
20 February 2015, 21:54
I like it. I'm waiting for a 16" Faxon pencil barrel to come back in stock for something similar.

FortTom
21 February 2015, 11:52
Nice functional build Boiler, Well done sir!

FortTom did you say you also have a LW voodoo melonite barrel on one of yours? Many rounds on it yet, would love to hear your overall thoughts

Yes I did. The whole project started after waiting months for Bravo Company's "light weight" keymod complete upper to come out. Normally, I don't purchase complete uppers, but in that case, I wanted one, and waited what seemed like forever, to get it. The quality was typical BC, that is to say it was great, but although "lighter" than most, it was not what I expected. So I set out to build my own. It is based on the same barrel, the voodoo 16" Adam Arms ultra light barrel. If I remember correctly, it weighs 1lb. 3oz's. Combined with a super light MI Keymod rail, the whole upper was insanely light. I didn't attach anything to that rifle that I didn't really need, but I could have saved a few more ounce's by forgoing the muzzle brake and the CRT stock, for something lighter. My main concern was that the rifle would start spitting lead all over the place as soon as I put 10 or 15 rounds down the barrel. I thought it's diminutive profile would also be it's down fall, as well.

I was very surprised when it didn't. It certainly won't hold groups as well as a HBAR, or a custom match barrel, but the groups don't turn into "spray and prey" either, after a magazine dump.

As my lightest AR, it is one of my favorites, if not favorite rifle in my herd. Just a few days ago, I was trying to cram a new O/U shotgun in the safe, and I picked up the BC version, and my "Voodoo gun", together, as they sit side by side by the safe, and still had a smile come across my face, when I realized how much lighter it actually was. While not my most accurate AR, accuracy is not bad. Also, I cannot foresee any scenario, where I'd be dumping 30 rounds as fast as I can, except just goofing off at the range, so my concerns about a super thin, super light barrel mostly vaporized on it's first trip out.

I had surgery to repair broken vertebrae and ruptured discs, early last year, which then aggravated my shoulder too, so my shooting was pretty limited last year. I put about 200 rounds through it at the most, so that's all I can base my experience with it on, but so far, I am extremely pleased.

I'm guessing BoilerUp will be pleased too.[:D]

BoilerUp
23 February 2015, 20:13
Received a few more parts for my Lite build. I blame GOST for these:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-5xVQS7S/1/L/i-5xVQS7S-L.jpg

I'm looking for a deal on the MFT minimalist....

BoilerUp
23 March 2015, 21:52
Almost there...glass should arrive tomorrow

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-zqLH3n2/0/L/i-zqLH3n2-L.jpg

The V7 comp is probably a little longer and heavier than I want, but I think I'll run this until I can find a Rainier Mini Comp 2.0.

I'm hoping to get out to the range with it in the next two weeks.

GOST
24 March 2015, 02:19
She looks great, let us know how she does.

GOST
24 March 2015, 02:22
The V7 comp is probably a little longer and heavier than I want, but I think I'll run this until I can find a Rainier Mini Comp 2.

Surprised you didn't go with the titanium brake. It's 1.1 oz lighter, but 0.3 oz is heavier than the RA Mini Comp 2.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/muzzle-devices/products/furion

BoilerUp
24 March 2015, 21:41
Thanks, Gost. That titanium brake looks good and certainly would suit the build better. I didn't look at it too closely because of the cost. I was thinking the RMC 2.0 or ALG SCB would be good, but it seems like the give up quite a bit of performance to keep the package small and light. However, as I continue to read and research comps, I'm actually starting to lean pretty heavily to the PWS TTO.

My glass showed up today and I got it mounted up. The wife told me to take it out to the range this weekend so hopefully I'll have some results to talk about in a few days.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-CVgTVjP/0/L/i-CVgTVjP-L.jpg

UWone77
24 March 2015, 21:55
Have you used a RA Mini Comp before?

I only ask because even though I'm a big RA supporter, the mini comp is crap.

toolboxluis00200
24 March 2015, 21:56
looks good

BoilerUp
24 March 2015, 22:54

I haven't. Thanks for that input. I read an article yesterday on testing recoil reduction that indicated that the RA mini comp and ALG SCB only reduce recoil about 1/3 to half as much as the full size comps. That's why I'm starting to lean towards the PWS TTO as it should have all the same recoil mitigation as the well regarded FSC in a slightly shorter/lighter package. I run an FSC on a PTR91 and love it.

This build is intended for female shooters, so I want good recoil reduction. I think I've about convinced myself to forget about the short single chamber brakes.

GOST
25 March 2015, 02:02
For brakes I've been impressed with the VG6 Epsilon. It weighs in at 2.4 oz and is extremely flat shooting. For $85.49 it'll be hard to beat. It is also compatible with the new VG6 CAGE. The CAGE is a sleeve that allows you to adjust the side blast of the brake.

http://www.rainierarms.com/vg6-precision-epsilon-556

rob_s
25 March 2015, 04:16
Just remember that with recoil reduction comes blast, and while you may not notice it as an experienced shooter, a new shooter, who is already scared of the gun, will.

I was quite surprised to find that females gravitated towards my 10.5" untralight gun with an A2 birdcage, even with the increase in felt recoil, over other comped guns.

We're i building a girl gun today it would have an adjustable gas block so that I could attempt to regulate the recoil that way and avid having a brake on the gun.

SINNER
25 March 2015, 05:03
I agree with Rob_s. I have taken my 8 year old daughter shooting a few times and with any 5.56 with a brake she would flinch and sometimes even close both eyes. She went from 6-8" groups at 25 yds to 2-3" groups when I set her up with a rifle wearing a A2. I know most will laugh at this but I used a Ares adjustable brake on my 18" PRI MK12 upper and plugged all the holes but the row down the very top and she shot a 1.5" 5 shot group off bags on a bench. The blast is definitely more of an issue than recoil with novice shooters.

Computalotapus
25 March 2015, 05:34

What do you not like about the mini comp? I only ask because I have one and even though it doesn't reduce the felt recoil as much as the Phase 5 it still keeps the rifle from jumping all around. It does throw a decent fireball but since I don't do any night shooting with it I am not to concerned with it. There is some concussion off it but nothing like the Phase 5 brake.

I guess I have no clue what I am talking about because it is the only comp that I have shot and I have nothing to compare it to except the extended flash hider on the M&P 15 and a Phase 5 brake. I will say as far as shooting goes I like shooting the rifle with the mini rac as it feels to me to have the best balance of reduced recoil vs concussive shock. The phase 5 brake keeps the rifle flat flat like you are shooting a .22 rifle but the concussion off it rattles your internal organs and some ppl at the range even say it makes them nauseas. I know when Christina is shooting her rifle with the P5 brake I feel like she is dropping a MK3 every time she pulls the trigger.

BoilerUp
25 March 2015, 07:02
Interesting input, guys. My wife shoots my .308 with the PWS FSC and doesn't mind the blast, but I can see your point and understand how my daughter might be not react the same. Maybe I'll just throw an A2 flashider on it for now and return the V7 while my bank account recovers from buying that Swarovski.

SINNER
25 March 2015, 07:21
What a fantastic optic. I have one on a .30-378 and I love it. Great eye box and crystal clear at any magnification.

UWone77
27 March 2015, 11:38
What do you not like about the mini comp? I only ask because I have one and even though it doesn't reduce the felt recoil as much as the Phase 5 it still keeps the rifle from jumping all around. It does throw a decent fireball but since I don't do any night shooting with it I am not to concerned with it. There is some concussion off it but nothing like the Phase 5 brake.

I guess I have no clue what I am talking about because it is the only comp that I have shot and I have nothing to compare it to except the extended flash hider on the M&P 15 and a Phase 5 brake. I will say as far as shooting goes I like shooting the rifle with the mini rac as it feels to me to have the best balance of reduced recoil vs concussive shock. The phase 5 brake keeps the rifle flat flat like you are shooting a .22 rifle but the concussion off it rattles your internal organs and some ppl at the range even say it makes them nauseas. I know when Christina is shooting her rifle with the P5 brake I feel like she is dropping a MK3 every time she pulls the trigger.

It's just no fun to shoot. If I'm going to go with a brake, I'm going with a full size dual port or triple port brake. The minicomp just throws off too much of a fireball.

OP, you could also try the 2A Armament T3 Titanium Compensator. I haven't tried it, but someone has to be the guinea pig!

Computalotapus
27 March 2015, 12:26
It's just no fun to shoot. If I'm going to go with a brake, I'm going with a full size dual port or triple port brake. The minicomp just throws off too much of a fireball.

OP, you could also try the 2A Armament T3 Titanium Compensator. I haven't tried it, but someone has to be the guinea pig!

:( I love shooting my NTD build, its not overly loud and I have quick follow up shots on 75-100 yd steel while on the move.

DutyUse
27 March 2015, 15:06
After we get approved for the BCM SBR lower, I have a BCM 14.5 LW barrel that is begging for a V7 furion dual port brake (1.6oz)

GOST
27 March 2015, 18:49

We love guinea pigs!

BoilerUp
27 March 2015, 23:07
I took the V7 off and am returning it. It looks very nice and I bet it works well, but it just isn't what I'm looking for for this build.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-3HmQ3fJ/0/L/i-3HmQ3fJ-L.jpg

I swung by Rainier Arms over lunch and they hooked me up with a used A2.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-2VD3JzD/1/XL/i-2VD3JzD-XL.jpg

I'll run that until I make up my mind, but am still leaning towards the PWS TTO. I'm headed to the range in the morning to put the first rounds through the rifle.

BoilerUp
26 April 2015, 21:15
Made it out the range for the second time with this build today. I've probably got about 100 rounds through it now with no hiccups. The only ammo I had the first time out was military ball (55 and 62 gr) and a box of remanufactured Black Hills 77 OTM. The reman Black Hills didn't give me quite the performance I was hoping, but I wasn't sure if it was the ammo or the rifle. I also quickly realized that it is pretty silly to run a $900 optic with a $30 dollar trigger, so I picked up a Geiselle Super Tricon from ROG with the help of a discount code. With the new trigger and some factory new SSA 77 gr OTM and Hornady 69 gr BTHP, I was eager to get back out to the range today.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-9d78DwT/0/L/i-9d78DwT-L.jpg

With the addition of the Geissele Super Tricon and running the factory new SSA 77gr OTM, I'm pretty confident in saying the rifle shoots better than I do. Here was my best and last group of the day:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-7sB2NCK/1/S/i-7sB2NCK-S.jpg

As you can see, that's a frustrating group as 4 of the 5 rounds are well under an inch, but my flyer doubles the group size (that's a one inch grid). This was at a hundred yards, shooting prone.

I'm very pleased with everything about this rifle. The only negative comment I have is that the MFT minimalist stock isn't very good for shooting off a bench with sandbags, but that's kind of like complaining about not being able to fit a sheet of plywood in the back of a Jetta - that's not what it was designed for.