PDA

View Full Version : AR's Have You Reached Saturation?

UWone77
22 February 2015, 14:02
So how many is too many?

I think I've reached saturation awhile ago. I've actually started to break down uppers, for parts on other projects, something I never used to do. I guess I'm at the point where I don't want to continuously pay for parts and accessories that I already have a dozen of.

How many AR's are you comfortable owning?

alamo5000
22 February 2015, 14:10
So how many is too many?

I think I've reached saturation awhile ago. I've actually started to break down uppers, for parts on other projects, something I never used to do. I guess I'm at the point where I don't want to continuously pay for parts and accessories that I already have a dozen of.

I am 'comfortable' owning a bunch [:D] but realistically I could see myself owning 3 or 4 at least. And then if you talk about the different calibers and such that is another ball of wax (IE 300 blackout) or maybe some of the other 'potentials' out there.

I have yet to join the NFA club but when we get into that it adds more.

Honestly though I can't answer the question because I am only on AR15 #1.

GOST
22 February 2015, 14:15
I never reach saturation for 2 reasons. First is I can't afford it. Second is I usually sell the rifles I don't shoot much.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 February 2015, 14:17
I always seem to have a project or three in the works. I think it depends how quickly I want to complete the project. If I really get the itch I'll borrow parts from other rifles.

I'm up to 6 completed rifles/SBR's right now and I may or may not SBR another lower that's just sitting in the safe. I don't like the idea of having a bunch of uppers and just one lower. Lowers are cheap...

Txfilmmaker
22 February 2015, 14:23
Trying to finish AR #1. I could see owning several if money was not an issue. 6 or 7?

The one i'm building now, Pistol, SBR, SBR-300blackout, SPR , AR-10, Super lightweight version? Several for my older children.

I will be very happy when I finish the first. It's been a fun journey. :-)

UWone77
22 February 2015, 14:26
Trying to finish AR #1. I could see owning several if money was not an issue. 6 or 7?

The one i'm building now, Pistol, SBR, SBR-300blackout, SPR , AR-10, Super lightweight version? Several for my older children.

I will be very happy when I finish the first. It's been a fun journey. :-)

Ahhhh, the first "build" back when this hobby was cheap... relatively speaking.

I remember what really got me into overdrive.

Back in 2008 I had a trip planned with a gal to the Bahamas. I prepaid for everything. She then stiffed me, and I had to cancel the trip. I was able to get most of my money back. Used that cash to buy 2 complete Noveske's as my consolation prize.

Txfilmmaker
22 February 2015, 14:40
Ahhhh, the first "build" back when this hobby was cheap... relatively speaking.

I remember what really got me into overdrive.

Back in 2008 I had a trip planned with a gal to the Bahamas. I prepaid for everything. She then stiffed me, and I had to cancel the trip. I was able to get most of my money back. Used that cash to buy 2 complete Noveske's as my consolation prize.

Sorry about that. Noveske's sound like very nice consolation prizes. I first heard of them through a Clint Smith article. It was 2008 when I first got interested firearms. Obama was elected and I was afraid I would never get any if I didn't start soon. My father-in-law was a gunsmith and he gave me a wonderful Colt 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txfilmmaker
22 February 2015, 14:56
Getting back to the saturation question... I have visions of some having 20-30.

toolboxluis00200
22 February 2015, 15:21
i have 4
2 in 22lr and 2 in 5.56
i have s complete lower i need an upper for that one :(
300BLK,5.45,7.62 just the uppers to have around just in case
and one in rifle in .308

Computalotapus
22 February 2015, 15:26
We have 4 right now. Building 2 SBRs and one .308 and I think we will be done. I want to build a nice bolt rifle as well soon.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

FortTom
22 February 2015, 15:33
When I finish this one, (.277 Wolverine), I'll have 8. That's after having sold a couple a while back. Number 8 is it, my very last project. Then I'm done. No more. Nada. Absolutely last build.

FT

toolboxluis00200
22 February 2015, 15:39
When I finish this one, (.277 Wolverine), I'll have 8. That's after having sold a couple a while back. Number 8 is it, my very last project. Then I'm done. No more. Nada. Absolutely last build.

FT

until a new caliber comes out

UWone77
22 February 2015, 15:40
No more. Nada. Absolutely last build.

FT

I'd love to say this, but I know it's not true for me. However, if someone new gets built, something else will be torn down.

akersc
22 February 2015, 15:49
We have 4 right now. Building 2 SBRs and one .308 and I think we will be done. I want to build a nice bolt rifle as well soon.

Dude we have 2 kids, we will not be done after 3. You know you'll build more!

Dstrbdmedic167
22 February 2015, 15:51

Let's leave bolts out of this one... I'm doing all I can to stay away from that realm of a money pit.

Haha calling him out huh? And yea I'm sure there will be several more as time goes.

akersc
22 February 2015, 15:52
Let's leave bolts out of this one... I'm doing all I can to stay away from that realm of a money pit.

Haha calling him out huh? And yea I'm sure there will be several more as time goes.

I know my husband quite well, he will never be done.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 February 2015, 15:54

True true!!

toolboxluis00200
22 February 2015, 16:14

lol

Thompson
22 February 2015, 16:33
Granted I haven't even built one yet, but after something thinking and some consultation (shout out to you MoxyDave), I'll probably end up only having maybe only a handful of complete rifles. I'll probably end up having maybe 3 or so 5.56 rifles and, for sure, one .22LR dedicated build and one 300BLK build.

(EDIT: This is also excluding special projects; ie: doing something like an M16A1 or an M16A4 clone)

Now if you were to ask how many uppers, as alamo said - a whole nother can of worms lol.

But who knows, I'm young and inexperienced lol.

RiverRat
22 February 2015, 16:39
I thought I was saturated, but I feel myself getting a little itch again.

Mostly, it's because I suspect our low-cost heyday will end when the presidential campaigns start up, so building another 1-2 carbines might not be the worst idea I've ever had. Final target for "keepers" might be in sixish range with half the lowers stamped. I don't mind having a couple of spare uppers and some extra parts lying around, either.

I might need to sneak a couple more 1911's into the buying pattern, too :)

gatordev
22 February 2015, 16:40
So how many is too many?

I was thinking this exact thought when I read your post earlier about Form 1'ing "one more" lower. On the AR front, I can't see getting anymore lowers since everything I have has been built for a specific purpose, and now I have enough in the pool to build something different once one of them wears out. That said, I do still wonder if I should Form 1 "just one more..."

But as you said, what should it be? Aero, BCM, LMT, or maybe that Spartan...

MoxyDave
22 February 2015, 17:05
I got started a long time ago and built everything I wanted. It was fun and I learned a lot. Now I know exactly what I like and I'm unloading everything I don't shoot frequently. I'll pick something up once in a while just for fun but ARs have jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. There are so many retarded contraptions coming out these days, sifting through the chaff has become tiresome. I try to maintain a good attitude about it - I mean more choice is never a bad thing, but often I find myself just shaking my head in disgust when I see things like Titanium takedown pins and "blast shield" muzzle devices.

Every time I think this market has reached saturation, something even more retarded shows up. I understand if people just want to play Barbie with their gun, that's fine I've been there too. That's just not where my head is at nowadays. I guess it's easy for me to say now that I've tried a lot of that stuff and found what I like. I'll probably end up keeping 4 or 5 ARs, only because a couple are NFA items and they're kind of a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Txfilmmaker
22 February 2015, 17:17

He means well... ;-)

FortTom
22 February 2015, 17:23
I got started a long time ago and built everything I wanted. It was fun and I learned a lot. Now I know exactly what I like and I'm unloading everything I don't shoot frequently. I'll pick something up once in a while just for fun but ARs have jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. There are so many retarded contraptions coming out these days, sifting through the chaff has become tiresome. I try to maintain a good attitude about it - I mean more choice is never a bad thing, but often I find myself just shaking my head in disgust when I see things like Titanium takedown pins and "blast shield" muzzle devices.

Every time I think this market has reached saturation, something even more retarded shows up. I understand if people just want to play Barbie with their gun, that's fine I've been there too. That's just not where my head is at nowadays. I guess it's easy for me to say now that I've tried a lot of that stuff and found what I like. I'll probably end up keeping 4 or 5 ARs, only because a couple are NFA items and they're kind of a pain in the ass to get rid of.

I don't know why, but just recently, I've started having some of the same feeling that you do. Maybe just a bit of burn out. Might concentrate on some Pheasant and Quail hunting, Trap, Five Stand and Steel Plate shooting, and maybe the "thrill" will find it's way back soon. Stuff like Titanium takedown pins kind of helped me along the jaded road a bit, along with some other things. I don't visit the forum as much as to see "what's new", but more of what people are doing with what they've built or bought. Serious reviews and T&E reviews still interest me, but crap like your example of titanium take down pins, and other ridiculous stuff, anything, just to market something new, has sort of drug me down also.

Ride4frnt
22 February 2015, 18:50
I have 4, and feasibly I need one more. I don't have a 16" 5.56 gun. I'm sure I'll build more than 1 more in my years, but that's all I NEED right now.

Uffdaphil
22 February 2015, 18:54
If I put all the uppers on all the lowers and count the two with all parts, but not finished, it's at least a dozen. Problem is I hate to sell anything.

I've given one away to a family member and have offered free ARs to others if they just take a basic gun safety class. No takers so far. Sad.

Sak007
22 February 2015, 19:12
Got a 6.8spc a 5.56 a 308 and I'm now building a 300blk . I plan on building enough that everyone in my family has one or when shtf I have enough to just grab a new rifle instead of reloading[BD]

jymbeux
22 February 2015, 19:34
I currently have two, a lighter 16" with red dot and a heavier 18" SPR style with PRS and magnified optics. I think for me four would be the perfect number. Number 3 would be a SBR lower for 300blk and Number 4 would be an AR10 with 260rem and/or 308 uppers.

SINNER
23 February 2015, 08:29
I only have complete guns or parts. I have never switched uppers on any weapon I own. Some are packaged for long term storage, some sit in the safes, and a few get shot heavily. Other than a few of the eccentric calibers I own at least one of every caliber in the AR15 format. I only buy deals now a days on complete guns and parts, and have been concentrating on getting quality glass on all I currently own. My last 3 builds have been AR10 pattern.

greenlineaz
23 February 2015, 11:05
I think this gets into what you are going to use each AR for. I am of the opinion that you can reach most of the potential of the platform with one gun, and if you really strive for improvement with it I'm sure you can get REALLY good with it. But I can also see where there would be "niche" set-ups. You already see that with the MK12, MK18 programs. Something I never really understood was why more guys don't just set-up a lower exactly how they want it, and then go buy multiple uppers with different barrel lengths/types and hand guards for the intended use.

If you settle on a layout that works for you, I would buy two and have one be your back-up gun. What I want to do now is buy another lower, and get it SBR'd. That means I can have something compact and lightweight, and I can also have an AR that I don't have to deal with extra NFA stuff. I was looking at one in .308 for longer range stuff, but I think I'll get a SCAR-H instead.

WHSmithIV
23 February 2015, 11:56
I know I'll be building more.

SwissyJim
23 February 2015, 12:13
Kinda... may build one more and go with a lighter build, but right now I'm having fun making extra short barrel uppers for my SBR. Not really more AR's, just more options of the ones I have I guess. But one 5.56, one 7.62 and the SBR in 300BLK, 5.56 and upcoming .458Socom.

FortTom
23 February 2015, 13:00
If I put all the uppers on all the lowers and count the two with all parts, but not finished, it's at least a dozen. Problem is I hate to sell anything.

I've given one away to a family member and have offered free ARs to others if they just take a basic gun safety class. No takers so far. Sad.

Except for a rabidly "Anti-Constitutionalist" (is that a word?) who in their right freaking mind, would turn down a free AR for the princely sum of taking a basic gun safety class? Man, I never had any deals offered up to me like that.[crazy][:D]

JGifford
23 February 2015, 13:48
So how many is too many?

To me, they are tools. I only have one "trophy" planned, but it's a tool, too. I currently own 2 AR's. A MK18 type 300 blackout, and a 16" Daniel Defense. That covers my usage. You do not see a carpenter with 5 hammers that all are used for the same task?

My trophy is going to be a Hodge Defense MOD2 with a nice 1-6X. Why? Because I can, and I will own it for the same reason some of my friends collect AP, Rolex, Tag,etc. Because I appreciate fine workmanship, and it also "keeps time" ;)

UWone77
23 February 2015, 16:02
To me, they are tools. I only have one "trophy" planned, but it's a tool, too. I currently own 2 AR's. A MK18 type 300 blackout, and a 16" Daniel Defense. That covers my usage. You do not see a carpenter with 5 hammers that all are used for the same task?

My trophy is going to be a Hodge Defense MOD2 with a nice 1-6X. Why? Because I can, and I will own it for the same reason some of my friends collect AP, Rolex, Tag,etc. Because I appreciate fine workmanship, and it also "keeps time" ;)

I'm very interested in the Hodge Defense Mod 2 as well. I think that's equal trophy and tool.

GOST
23 February 2015, 18:00
The AU-MOD 2 is supposed to released in April for $2699.

DutyUse
23 February 2015, 18:14
Once I take the 6 builds that have been floating around in my head and turn them into a tangible reality I think i'll be fairly satisfied.

1 Finish the 14.5 LW noveske clone sent to bdl and top it with a SRS or T1.
2 A 11.5 pistol like the one I'm building now, but with a gen 1 Noveske set and a BCM 11.5 ELW CHF
3 A "me-to" copycat build of Farva's thin blue line SBR build [BD]
4 A "2A" / V7 theme build
5 A Factory FDE 6920 (http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=84392&category_id=3182) for a heirloom family rifle
6 A mega themed SPR build with nice glass

Then possibly when money allows a few plain jane BCM rifles to just stick in the safe.

EDIT: And DANG I would like to find a Gen 3 Noveske upper, but think I'll probably just have to buy a complete upper as I've never seen one for sale. Not sure why Noveske isn't selling these??

GOST
23 February 2015, 18:26
1 Finish the 14.5 LW noveske clone sent to bdl and top it with a SRS or T1.

I've got some time behind the SRS and have come to love it, this includes my buddies who told me to buy an Aimpoint Micro. I was hesitant on getting it at first due to the reviews I've read, but glad I did. It's become my favorite RDS. Its like running an Aimpoint PRO with a better FOV. If you're ever down in east TN, you can try mine out.

UWone77
23 February 2015, 18:27
Then possibly when money allows a few plain jane BCM rifles to just stick in the safe.

EDIT: And DANG I would like to find a Gen 3 Noveske upper, but think I'll probably just have to buy a complete upper as I've never seen one for sale. Not sure why Noveske isn't selling these??

Never hurts to have a couple of plain jane BCM or Colt's in the safe. Something to pass down to the kids too when they come of age.

Other than Joe Bob Outfitters and Rainier, I've never seen stripped Gen III uppers for sale. I believe they only got 1 shipment. I'm sure other big Noveske dealers like ROG got some too, but I haven't seen any since last summer.

DutyUse
23 February 2015, 18:47
Never hurts to have a couple of plain jane BCM or Colt's in the safe. Something to pass down to the kids too when they come of age.

Other than Joe Bob Outfitters and Rainier, I've never seen stripped Gen III uppers for sale. I believe they only got 1 shipment. I'm sure other big Noveske dealers like ROG got some too, but I haven't seen any since last summer.

I think I've only seen 2 for sale ever and that was on the EE on ARF and by the time I seen them they was already sold. 300-325 is about the going rate on the secondary market correct? I've been looking everywhere for one lately as I really want to send the project to bdl just once..

And equally rare are those anodized 6920's, little easier to find however. Luckily I already have a 6720 brand new stashed away for Colt when he grows up, though I probably need to pick up another for my daughter while PSA has them for 799$…

EDIT: Almost forgot about build #7! The WEVO build i've been piecing together slowly but surely. Still need to take Jeff @ CMT up on his offer to use their Laser engraver to get the WEVO logo deep engraved.

GOST
23 February 2015, 18:50
Those prices are not much over the $316 MSRP on a stripped Noveske Gen 3 upper.

DutyUse
23 February 2015, 19:12
Those prices are not much over the $316 MSRP on a stripped Noveske Gen 3 upper.

I'd pay a *bit* more then I'd guess, just went off past sell prices. Normally I wouldnt spend that much $ or put in so much effort locating but this will be my goto rifle and see tons of rounds. Might as well make it as close to perfect for me as I can

din
23 February 2015, 22:19
I have two, just waiting on a couple more parts to finish #3. After that I'll probably stick to building uppers for the most part, unless I decide to throw something together on an AR-10 platform. Too many other firearms I still want to add to the collection on a fairly small income, and I need to start re-acquiring my the knife collection I sold off for gun parts.

Farva
23 February 2015, 22:38
I've built 4 and have 3. I'm not sure how many. I'd like at least two more SBR's, 1 in a 300 blk and another 556 that will be suppressed all the time. I'd like a 308 build and I'd like to rebuild another 6.5 Grendel. Also gotta build some for the future kiddos and start the .22 build for our current little tyke!

I have these just sitting around http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/23/8d952a17dda5c67dcf2afdae4cf5f845.jpg

Not pictured is a gen 2 Noveske lower so I don't see this ending anytime soon! And I'm perfectly ok with that, even if my wallet isn't 😁

mustangfreek
24 February 2015, 02:41
All i can say is i dont have enough.

Uffdaphil
24 February 2015, 05:55
Except for a rabidly "Anti-Constitutionalist" (is that a word?) who in their right freaking mind, would turn down a free AR for the princely sum of taking a basic gun safety class? Man, I never had any deals offered up to me like that.[crazy][:D]

My computer-commando nephews, sisters and brothers-in-law. Nice conservative Christians all who stock up on food for when the SHTF, but seem to think roving zombies with guns will leave them alone. I've explained that I may not be able to get guns to them in troubled times, and that OJT in combat means high casualties, but no joy yet.

CK 187
24 February 2015, 08:20
What is this "too many" you speak of?

SINNER
24 February 2015, 09:06
Blasphemy I say

Bronco75
24 February 2015, 09:23
I just need a bigger safe =)

UWone77
24 February 2015, 12:00

You'll know when you get there...

Thompson
24 February 2015, 12:05
Still need to take Jeff @ CMT up on his offer to use their Laser engraver to get the WEVO logo deep engraved.
Are you planning on getting the upper engraved? or the lower?

I was planning on eventually picking up their ambi lower and getting that engraved.

Can't wait to see that build otherwise!

FortTom
24 February 2015, 13:56
Spoken like a wise Tibetan monk. UWone77 speaks with wisdom and inner truth from one who's spiritual journey has come full circle. He and the AR have become one in harmony with the platform.[:D]

Txfilmmaker
24 February 2015, 17:04
Spoken like a wise Tibetan monk. UWone77 speaks with wisdom and inner truth from one who's spiritual journey has come full circle. He and the AR have become one in harmony with the platform.[:D]

I'm in awe...

DutyUse
25 February 2015, 00:22
Are you planning on getting the upper engraved? or the lower?

I was planning on eventually picking up their ambi lower and getting that engraved.

Can't wait to see that build otherwise!

Originally I was going to have a company mill out the WEVO logo onto this PSA "stealth" lower. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/fe426f6101b817db3a848c881d92bef7.jpg

But the company kept blowing smoke on the eta so I gave up on it. CMT is only a little over 100 miles from me so I shot Jeff and email and he said he would love to help me out with the project.

I want to give the WEVO build justice so I'm leaning heavily away from the PSA lower, even if it had our logo deep laser engraved.

I've been corresponding with Jeff off and on for a bit and I'm hoping/trying to see if he would let me get one of their Billet Sets naked and without their CMT logo and then have the WEVO logo as the "rollmark". Not sure it will happen though.

That project kind of got pushed to the back burner as possible legislation has lite a fire under me to get my trust finalized and the paperwork for my SBR and suppressor quickly. Never know when some piece of garbage will get rammed down the pipe and lose that right forever.

UWone77
25 February 2015, 00:26
If I wanted to do it, I'd just use a Rainier Forged, since they engrave their logo on the opposite side.

DutyUse
25 February 2015, 00:48
If I wanted to do it, I'd just use a Rainier Forged, since they engrave their logo on the opposite side.

Your talking about This set (http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-forged-upper-lower-combo) correct? Honestly I'd been eyeballing the ultramatch set so much recently the forged wasn't even on my radar. That's a helluva good idea though because one side is completely sanitary and would have plenty of real estate for engraving.

Ugh well there goes the money I had saved to find a noveske gen 1 set for my sbr project ;)

Farva
28 February 2015, 19:25
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/ee95ab6ff00e81fee32052bc65bc7c9d.jpg

JGifford
28 February 2015, 19:41
The AU-MOD 2 is supposed to released in April for $2699.

Just bought the VCOG to compliment it. I found one for $1999 shipped (77gr 5.56 caliber horseshoe). After I bought it, the online vendor site immediately threw up a big red "Sold Out" on the page. So I feel certain it was in stock (as when I tried to add 2 to test the theory, it said "insufficient quantity on hand".

Anyway, just an FYI, Trijicon's dealer cost on those has gone up, up, up! It is now in the $1800's for the thumb-screw model. DEALER cost, for 2015.

SINNER
1 March 2015, 04:35
Have you shot with the VCOG yet? I just took a huge loss on the one I had. Only Trijicon optic I have ever sold. I am not trying to bash your purchase but if like me you are expecting the best 1-6 optic out for it's price range I found that far from the case. It pains me to say that as Trijicon has been my go to optic for a decade. I have 5 ACOG's and 4 Accu-Points I would not sell for less than replacement cost but the VCOG just didn't work for me. Maybe they fixed some of the early issues but some I fear can not be fixed easily.

JGifford
1 March 2015, 10:26
Have you shot with the VCOG yet? I just took a huge loss on the one I had. Only Trijicon optic I have ever sold. I am not trying to bash your purchase but if like me you are expecting the best 1-6 optic out for it's price range I found that far from the case. It pains me to say that as Trijicon has been my go to optic for a decade. I have 5 ACOG's and 4 Accu-Points I would not sell for less than replacement cost but the VCOG just didn't work for me. Maybe they fixed some of the early issues but some I fear can not be fixed easily.

I decided to go ahead and bite when I saw them selling gently loved for $1850 on ARFcom. If I have to dump this one, I will wait about 5-6 months, as Trijicon just increased dealer cost AGAIN on them. I got mine for $1999 shipped. Dealer cost has gone from about $1500/ea to nearly $1900/ea for the "base" model with thumbscrews.

I have played with them a few times.

What issues did you personally have?

If you want optical superiority, the K16i/Z6i are the no-brainer choices. I played with those, too. They ARE the best 1-6X in the terms of optical performance.

So why did I go VCOG?

Because
I liked the keyed mount.
I liked the AA power.
I liked the added ruggedness to the housing (the area I live/hunt is rocky and steep. I have fallen with a rifle before. Safe handling means noone gets truly hurt, but the optic could indeed sustain damage.)

These were all advantages that I gave up: slightly better illumination, 30% more FOV for.

The weight of the VCOG and K16i is nearly identical when both are placed on QD mount solutions from the same company. As, within 2oz or so.

Anyway, why did YOU dump the VCOG, specifically?

rob_s
1 March 2015, 13:00
I'm working right now on paring down to either two or three. If it's two, one will be an SBR with a Switchblock to be home-defense-suppressed/compact-lightweight-unsuppressed. If its three, one will be a dedicated suppressed SBR, one will be a dedicated up suppressed SBR. In either case, the other gun will be a 16" with a 1.x-Y optic on it for general training and competing and plinking.

I am well and good eover Barbie guns and other nonsense like like "my next build", and can't purge fast enough. I get that some people are into that, and I guess I was too at one time, but what I learned over that time is its all just a giant waste of money to me.

WHSmithIV
1 March 2015, 13:18
It is impossible to reach saturation with AR's or any guns in general. There is no such thing as saturation or too much ammo. It is far better to have more than needed than to need it and not have it. I hope I never need to kill people again. However, I do need to kill animals for their meat. That's OK with me. IF I do ever have to kill people again to protect fellow innocent citizens, I will do so with no qualms. I won't lose sleep for having done so either. So, I just need to make sure I have plenty of ammo on hand. If I run out, I do have a few goto guys who have 10's of thousands of rounds within a few miles of our home.

DutyUse
1 March 2015, 18:36
I'm working right now on paring down to either two or three. If it's two, one will be an SBR with a Switchblock to be home-defense-suppressed/compact-lightweight-unsuppressed. If its three, one will be a dedicated suppressed SBR, one will be a dedicated up suppressed SBR. In either case, the other gun will be a 16" with a 1.x-Y optic on it for general training and competing and plinking.

I am well and good eover Barbie guns and other nonsense like like "my next build", and can't purge fast enough. I get that some people are into that, and I guess I was too at one time, but what I learned over that time is its all just a giant waste of money to me.

I think your onto something there Rob. Having 2-3 "purpose" driven rifles for specific tasks.

However being a mechanic for so many years makes the building process enjoyable. But a waste of money, Barbie guns, purging? The same could be said of a switchblock SBR. Alot of folks would think a plain Jane DPMS good enough and never think of an AR again -- It's all in your perspective. Good luck pairing down

FortTom
1 March 2015, 18:58

I've been through this before, but mainly with "mainstream" firearms, mostly sporting rifles, or more specifically bolt action hunting rifles and pistols, and a bunch of 1911's and odds and ends. I couldn't possibly keep up with all of it, I shot very little commercial ammo, and owned several "roll your own" calibers that were no longer commercially available, the logistics of reloading for it all was getting out of hand, and I was retiring for good, for a second time. Also except for small game and upland birds, my hunting career had just about petered out. I had a bunch of cash setting in those safes, doing nothing, but being frustrating keeping up with what was sighted in, what I had ammo loaded for, etc.

I auctioned off most of it, with the exception of a few pieces that had sentimental value.

I had a couple of commercial AR's then, that I kept.

Fast forward, now I have, among other things, safe full of AR's. Don't know how I got there, but I just needed one for this scenario or that. I don't think I'm going to completely purge like Rob_s but I think my policy from now on is one for one. If I acquire one, then one has to go. Just keeping up with what's sighted in, with what ammo, and other considerations, is becoming a pain in the ass, that tends to make me lose a little interest in the whole AR world.

I'm not being the least bit judgemental , if someone wants to build and keep an entire walk in vault full of AR's, have at it. I think 7 or 8 is plenty enough for me.

GOST
1 March 2015, 19:23
The last few post show a very good perspective. A lot of my shooting buddies have a lot more firearms than I do. Most of mine are family hand me downs that I love and shoot quite frequently.

For some reason my buddies will bring some of their firearms to me to take out when I go shoot. They even bring me ammo. I often shoot by myself and quite enjoy it. Then when I return their firearms they tell me what new they have acquired.

I like to have new stuff just as much as the next guy, but I don't like having firearms that I don't shoot. If I find myself wanting something different, I usaully sell something. My buddies have fallen victim to collecting and don't come and shoot nearly as much as they used to. Reminds me of some who like to aquire as many ladies as they can instead of loving the one they have.

Thompson
1 March 2015, 20:58
CMT is only a little over 100 miles from me so I shot Jeff and email and he said he would love to help me out with the project.

I want to give the WEVO build justice so I'm leaning heavily away from the PSA lower, even if it had our logo deep laser engraved.

I've been corresponding with Jeff off and on for a bit and I'm hoping/trying to see if he would let me get one of their Billet Sets naked and without their CMT logo and then have the WEVO logo as the "rollmark". Not sure it will happen though.

That project kind of got pushed to the back burner as possible legislation has lite a fire under me to get my trust finalized and the paperwork for my SBR and suppressor quickly. Never know when some piece of garbage will get rammed down the pipe and lose that right forever.
Sorry, missed this earlier. Maybe I'm missing something; but on the right side of the receivers, it's completely blank no? Or do you specifically want the WEVO logo on the left side?

Frankly, I'm fixing on getting one of the ambi lowers and have the blank (right) side engraved with the WEVO logo. Btw, would Jeff be willing to do a deep laser engraving? I never considered that lol. ... I've yet to contact Jeff.

And ouch ~ best of luck with your NFA stuff.

DutyUse
1 March 2015, 21:32
Sorry, missed this earlier. Maybe I'm missing something; but on the right side of the receivers, it's completely blank no? Or do you specifically want the WEVO logo on the left side?

Frankly, I'm fixing on getting one of the ambi lowers and have the blank (right) side engraved with the WEVO logo. Btw, would Jeff be willing to do a deep laser engraving? I never considered that lol. ... I've yet to contact Jeff.

And ouch ~ best of luck with your NFA stuff.

I haven't yet met Jeff Cross in person but he is a second generation machinist, very talented and personable. I imagine if you email (don't tie up their phones) he'd help you. I wasn't here then but CMT did a run of WEVO laser engraved PMAGs. He still had the file, and laser engravers work FAST so he didn't seem to mind helping me as long as it didn't tie up his machine obviously.

Depends on the receiver, but correct most have a blank right magwell. The PSA stealth I have is almostentirely blank. An 80% is completely sanitary.

However almost all companies put their "rollmark" on the left. Thats traditionally the spot where you recognize the brand. So I'm fairly adamant about putting the WEVO logo there. Plenty of guys get laser engraving on the right. And it normally turns out wonderfully.

rob_s
2 March 2015, 02:53
But a waste of money, Barbie guns, purging? The same could be said of a switchblock SBR. Alot of folks would think a plain Jane DPMS good enough and never think of an AR again -- It's all in your perspective.

Yes it is. My perspective is that accumulating crap just to accumulate crap is a waste of money. I don't care if it's Elvis collector plates, beer steins, or guns. Objects and items, for me, are not about the ownership but about what I can do with them. They are there to support a task or as a tool for use in an activity. I don't collect suitcases for the sake of posting to suitcase forums about my latest purchase/project, I have a couple for the purposes of travel. One large for long trips, one small for short trips. I don't own a 9mm Ar because:project or because:”build" or because:neato or because:Internet-picture-posting, I own one because there are matches I participate in where it's the only rifle I can shoot, and ranges where only pistol-caliber ammo is allowed.

If the DPMS owner has a defined purpose and his DPMS is fulfilling that purpose, then I have no issue with it. In fact, at one time DPMS was the choice of a lot of 3-gun ears, for whatever reason (probably because at the time there wasn't a TV show and the only people cheaper than 3-gunners were USPSA shooters). I find the accumulation of things, for the sake of accumulation, to be odd as fuck.

GOST
2 March 2015, 04:19
I think your onto something there Rob. Having 2-3 "purpose" driven rifles for specific tasks.

However being a mechanic for so many years makes the building process enjoyable. But a waste of money, Barbie guns, purging? The same could be said of a switchblock SBR. Alot of folks would think a plain Jane DPMS good enough and never think of an AR again -- It's all in your perspective. Good luck pairing down

Yes it is. My perspective is that accumulating crap just to accumulate crap is a waste of money. I don't care if it's Elvis collector plates, beer steins, or guns. Objects and items, for me, are not about the ownership but about what I can do with them. They are there to support a task or as a tool for use in an activity. I don't collect suitcases for the sake of posting to suitcase forums about my latest purchase/project, I have a couple for the purposes of travel. One large for long trips, one small for short trips. I don't own a 9mm Ar because:project or because:”build" or because:neato or because:Internet-picture-posting, I own one because there are matches I participate in where it's the only rifle I can shoot, and ranges where only pistol-caliber ammo is allowed.

If the DPMS owner has a defined purpose and his DPMS is fulfilling that purpose, then I have no issue with it. In fact, at one time DPMS was the choice of a lot of 3-gun ears, for whatever reason (probably because at the time there wasn't a TV show and the only people cheaper than 3-gunners were USPSA shooters). I find the accumulation of things, for the sake of accumulation, to be odd as fuck.

Rob for the most part is right on the accumulating or collecting. A lot of folks either go down one of two paths when they get into shooting, either they end up shooting a lot or they end up collecting. Most do not have the time or funds to do both.

I've got friends with safes loaded to the gills with firearms, so many that they can't remember how many or what they have. One had over 400 till he got divorced. That same friend is the same one that would bring me firearms and ammo to go shoot, he rarely came out and shot though. When he came out though he quickly found out his skill set wasn't where he hoped it was, then usually ended up just shooting the breeze rather than the firearms he brought.

I've got friends that their only rifle is a DPMS that have no idea what a Noveske is. But they run circles around a lot of folks at the range. If you have the funds to both collect and go shoot, then power to you. But don't let collecting get in the way of shooting or training.

SINNER
2 March 2015, 04:35
I decided to go ahead and bite when I saw them selling gently loved for $1850 on ARFcom. If I have to dump this one, I will wait about 5-6 months, as Trijicon just increased dealer cost AGAIN on them. I got mine for $1999 shipped. Dealer cost has gone from about $1500/ea to nearly $1900/ea for the "base" model with thumbscrews.

I have played with them a few times.

What issues did you personally have?

If you want optical superiority, the K16i/Z6i are the no-brainer choices. I played with those, too. They ARE the best 1-6X in the terms of optical performance.

So why did I go VCOG?

Because
I liked the keyed mount.
I liked the AA power.
I liked the added ruggedness to the housing (the area I live/hunt is rocky and steep. I have fallen with a rifle before. Safe handling means noone gets truly hurt, but the optic could indeed sustain damage.)

These were all advantages that I gave up: slightly better illumination, 30% more FOV for.

The weight of the VCOG and K16i is nearly identical when both are placed on QD mount solutions from the same company. As, within 2oz or so.

Anyway, why did YOU dump the VCOG, specifically?

You pretty much touched on the issues I had with the VCOG.

Optic is very dim. When I find myself choosing a Accupoint or Vortex Viper due to overcast conditions that is an issue.

The illumination is very dim in daylight also.

And by far the biggest issue I had was the diopter was not consistent through out the zoom range. If the reticle was sharp at 6x it was unusable at 1x. Ultimately I set it at 3x and lived with the compromise. I would imagine that is a result of the eye relief being unchanged regardless of magnification.

I often found myself frustrated when using the optic and just took a loss and traded it on some other items at a LGS. I truly think their are better options for half the cost of the VCOG.

CK 187
2 March 2015, 04:36

I beleive you mean that my wife will let me know when I get there

CK 187
2 March 2015, 05:00
But don't let collecting get in the way of shooting or training.

That right there is the money quote

DutyUse
2 March 2015, 07:43

I bet the guy who bought a colt 6920 every month seemed like a real gun nut.., until the sandy hook shooting. Then his 1,100 investment tripled over night. Accumulation for the sake of accumulation? No some guns are shooters. Some are investments.

Builds for Internet gun postings? Haha. Find a "build" post or rifle picture of mine before being here a good long while. That's not an accident. If that were my "thing" I'd have lead with it. No I came and stayed to help people. Not rip them because dang look that guys posting another build. Only reason I even started posting pictures of my personal rifles was the stimulation of conversation. This place was crickets a lot of times. Did I help change that, nope probably not. But I tried to help the forum grow. But the only thing i see you post about lately is whale jizz coatings and purging.

FortTom
2 March 2015, 09:35
Whale jizz coatings? I'm afraid to ask... go easy man, whatever you do, it's all good. [:D]

GOST
2 March 2015, 09:36
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on how many firearms is sufficient. A lot of the people who tried to make a large payday after Sandy Hook are stuck with rifles that didn't sell, I know this cause I work with quite few guys who tried this. Cheaper than Dirt also tried to capitalize on other's misfortunes also.

There are some who want the most expensive rifle they can assemble. Then feed it the cheapest ammo they can find when they do shoot, which defeats the purpose of the nice barrel. It's like pumping 85 octane gas into a Ferrari. With all their money wrapped up in assembling this rifle they have little money for ammo, and the rifle is only as good as the one behind it.

Rob_S has a valid argument against the so-called whale jizz. Companies like KAC have phosphate coated BCG's with very extensive torture test. John Noveske also was a fan of mil-spec phosphate coatings as quoted from his Recoil interview. Also Rob_S's posting about whale jizz isn't new, he's posting about it for awhile.

Thompson
2 March 2015, 09:56
I haven't yet met Jeff Cross in person but he is a second generation machinist, very talented and personable. I imagine if you email (don't tie up their phones) he'd help you. I wasn't here then but CMT did a run of WEVO laser engraved PMAGs. He still had the file, and laser engravers work FAST so he didn't seem to mind helping me as long as it didn't tie up his machine obviously.

However almost all companies put their "rollmark" on the left. Thats traditionally the spot where you recognize the brand. So I'm fairly adamant about putting the WEVO logo there. Plenty of guys get laser engraving on the right. And it normally turns out wonderfully.
Gotcha - well, will have to shoot him an email eventually .... yeah I was here when the WEVO mags went around ... I'm still kicking myself in the face for somehow not seeing that thread until it was over ...

Wait - so did you get him to make you some WEVO PMAG's after we did the group purchase here? Is that what I'm reading?

Meh - I'm okay with not having WEVO on the left side. I'd just be happy if he'd be willing to deep laser engrave the logo at this point lol

Uffdaphil
2 March 2015, 10:37
Lots of folks have the collecting bug. Jay Leno's garage is my personal fantasy. In real life I kept one great vehicle (Land Cruiser) and sold the sports car.

With guns I like to have as many as I can stuff in my safe- revolvers, pistols, lever, pump, WW2, and a slew of ARs. There is plenty of room in the firearms community for those who want just one good tool with which to become uber proficient and those who see guns as also functional art. Can we agree to not denigrate either view? When neither extreme impinges on the other, snark and insult just looks petty. From my day -Different Strokes.

JGifford
2 March 2015, 11:06
You pretty much touched on the issues I had with the VCOG.

Optic is very dim. When I find myself choosing a Accupoint or Vortex Viper due to overcast conditions that is an issue.

The illumination is very dim in daylight also.

And by far the biggest issue I had was the diopter was not consistent through out the zoom range. If the reticle was sharp at 6x it was unusable at 1x. Ultimately I set it at 3x and lived with the compromise. I would imagine that is a result of the eye relief being unchanged regardless of magnification.

I often found myself frustrated when using the optic and just took a loss and traded it on some other items at a LGS. I truly think their are better options for half the cost of the VCOG.
Interesting. I did note some diopter shift. As you said made reasonable by setting on 3x. Seemed similar to leupold mk6. Inferior to kahles. Glass on all I looked through was bright. Picture quality at least the equal of mk6.

I will know better when mine arrives and I can mess with it some.

of note...ive heard of one user who had diopter shift with k16i. Others who have had none with vcog. I wonder why. I have no answer.

I will say when swfa employee adjusted vcog. It worked great. Me? No. Kahles. I adjusted fine. I think maybe different technique (focus reticle on 6X at clouds or on 1x on wall or...?) Might be required. I do know my eotech and g33 was a fun beast to get focused well!

DutyUse
3 March 2015, 02:22
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on how many firearms is sufficient. A lot of the people who tried to make a large payday after Sandy Hook are stuck with rifles that didn't sell, I know this cause I work with quite few guys who tried this. Cheaper than Dirt also tried to capitalize on other's misfortunes also.

There are some who want the most expensive rifle they can assemble. Then feed it the cheapest ammo they can find when they do shoot, which defeats the purpose of the nice barrel. It's like pumping 85 octane gas into a Ferrari. With all their money wrapped up in assembling this rifle they have little money for ammo, and the rifle is only as good as the one behind it.

Rob_S has a valid argument against the so-called whale jizz. Companies like KAC have phosphate coated BCG's with very extensive torture test. John Noveske also was a fan of mil-spec phosphate coatings as quoted from his Recoil interview. Also Rob_S's posting about whale jizz isn't new, he's posting about it for awhile.

When Failzero came out with their NiB BCG I scoffed and went on shooting my phosphate colts. When Nitride starting picking up I took a little notice but still went on with my BCM's. It wasn't until I seen the Fathom that I broke away from my love Affair with standard phosphate MPI/HPT milspecs. Of my last 4 purchased BCG's please point out this mythical whale jizz I keep hearing.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/03/0ffaf2b145c483c96875be0b2b377e10.jpg

And collecting without shooting? Crappy ammo? http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/03/6f9a0850f2734f08df19696df51641df.jpg

I have targets within walking distance of my front door. Sure I'm not shooting mk262 to train with everyday, but who could? Don't know why there is this theory out there that if you have nice guns and builds then you couldn't possibly own working guns aswell or must not be a "real" shooter.

If you have the funds to both collect and go shoot, then power to you.

Thanks ;) I think we've hit the nail on the head with this comment here. Let's move back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Deadwing
3 March 2015, 04:42
I do my share of shooting. I don't get to go shooting as often as i'd like to, but i get out when i can. I've never had any formal training, but i'd love to attend some classes. My work schedule sucks, so that means i'm usually at work while these classes are going on. Competitive shooting is also something that interests me, but again, a shitty work schedule gets in the way of that as well.

I also do my share of collecting. I'll buy a gun, shoot the piss out of it, then buy something new. But instead of selling my previously new gun, i just keep it. I'm too lazy (especially now that I594 is in effect here) to play games trying to get a fair price selling it private party, and trade in value is usually something far below what i paid, so i keep it. And i'll eventually find my way back to it and shoot it again.

Above and beyond that, i like to tinker. I like to take my guns apart and learn their ins and outs and find out what makes them tick. Not just my ARs, but pistols, revolvers, shotguns, everything. I find working on my guns to be as enjoyable as shooting them. Maybe i'm just weird that way.

So, no. I haven't reached saturation yet. Maybe someday i will. I'd certainly have a lot more time and money on my hands. :P

UWone77
1 July 2019, 12:12
Necroposting here...

I thought about the saturation this weekend after doing some inventory, and breaking down a couple of rifles. So 4+ years later, where do you guys sit on this? Any builds planned for the year?

Since this original post, my gears/interests have shifted tremendously. You guys still into the firearms and ARs as much as you were back then? Or even more so now?

alamo5000
1 July 2019, 12:30
Necroposting here...

I thought about the saturation this weekend after doing some inventory, and breaking down a couple of rifles. So 4+ years later, where do you guys sit on this? Any builds planned for the year?

Since this original post, my gears/interests have shifted tremendously. You guys still into the firearms and ARs as much as you were back then? Or even more so now?

I was definitely late to the AR party. You guys walked me through my first one here. If cash were abundant I can say for sure that I am nowhere near 'done'.

Building an AR is one thing, but affording to feed all those mouths is another, and especially all that glass for optics makes it a longer journey for me. I definitely have champagne tastes.

I personally like the idea of walking through a build.

Not to mention I like things that go bang so I also definitely want firearms from other aspects of shooting as well. Bolt action, long range, benchrest, pistols, etc... I have a want list long enough to keep me broke for a very long time.

Former11B
1 July 2019, 12:51
Necroposting here...

I follow a USMC Scout/Sniper turned writer and one of his (many) verses that speaks to me is as follows:

“As I slumber in sand, I hear the near voice;
‘Put down your steel, old warrior, for short is the life left to live!’
‘I cannot’, I whispered, quiet and cold, desperate to survive, ‘My rifle is here to stay. Without it, I am nothing, for I know no other way.’”

I have other interests, but my main one, for the foreseeable future, is shooting (and everything that goes into it). I may not build a new rifle this year, but I already reconfigured one so much this year that the only things that carried over are the barrel and upper. But then again, who knows...I might build another one.

I’m trying to do more homestead type stuff this year and next, but I see my firearms as a part of that in a way...a well rounded level of preparedness, so to speak

FortTom
1 July 2019, 14:35
Necroposting here...

I might buy or build another upper or two, but I've got too many AR's sitting in the safe, collecting dust.

FT

Joelski
1 July 2019, 16:52
I'm at 5.5 rifles with one that could be done today if I had the parts, and a lg. frame upper receiver that maybe needs to be part of a 6.5 Creedmoor upper for my sole large frame rifle to have some company. I haven't bought parts in weeks. Could it be summer? Could the desire be dying off? I just shot about 600 rounds last week, about 200 in plinking/screwing off and the other on drills, so maybe not. The great weather cries out to be outdoors and more and more, the AR assembling thing gets moved to poor weather days and or night-time activity.

I think I've gone about doing it the right way in terms of adding calibers that I actively use, vs. sitting in a safe. I look at a new caliber as another mouth to feed in that I don't reload d/t time, and accessibility of ammo at this time. That might change, but I'm still not sure I would keep up with reloading enough to make it pay for itself.

I want to add something in the .224 Valkyrie echelon for smallies and like I said, something similar for large frame, but I doubt I'll do any more than that. Curiously, I have no factory-built rifles in the AR genre; I have invested heavily in tools and software (including go-no-go gauges) in order to avoid the "Kitchen table gunsmith" but beyond learning, I see no value in store-bought. I am not saying I wouldn't build an addition to my house should I ever acquire the means to own a Mk 110 Mod 0 SASS kit! There are several that I'd like to have, and after some glass purchases, I might just go after them, however I would really like to build-up my own ACR!

Uffdaphil
1 July 2019, 18:08
The only lowers I’ve bought in the last 4 years are in .308 and 6.8SPC. I have broken down a couple uppers For a match SS barrel and a lightweight build. Still have a couple more stripped lowers and uppers for who knows what. Optics and suppressors are my big weakness.

BoilerUp
1 July 2019, 20:17
Well, thanks to my recent purchases in preparation for today (WA I-1639 implementation), I am now saturated. But that does include a few stripped lowers in case I change my mind.

FortTom
1 July 2019, 23:14
The only lowers I’ve bought in the last 4 years are in .308 and 6.8SPC. I have broken down a couple uppers For a match SS barrel and a lightweight build. Still have a couple more stripped lowers and uppers for who knows what. Optics and suppressors are my big weakness.
Yep,,,,,

Hey, if I want to build a 7.8 Lapua, would my .308 lower stand up to the abuse of the bigger round?

Thanks, UD.,

FT

mustangfreek
1 July 2019, 23:56
I’m unsaturated.

Jerry R
2 July 2019, 06:08
At my age, I'm probably over-saturated. Sitting on twelve complete, and one built lower. All I'm doing is building stuff for my grandkids. [BD] I may build an upper for the Heritage lower, just don't know what it would be. I have an assortment of calibers and barrel lengths. So, it will probably sit on the shelf for awhile. Besides, thirteen is an unlucky number. If I complete it, I would have to do another, just because ...

VIPER 237
2 July 2019, 08:12
I’ve been downsizing my AR collection and focused on a few great builds vs a dozen budget builds. I have been more interested in other semi’s that aren’t ar’s. I’ve also gone half commie and got into the AK game.

Necroposting here...

Aragorn
2 July 2019, 11:35
I just need a new hobby. I don’t have a lot of AR’s by WEVO standards, but two 16” guns, a short folding .300 pistol, and my wife’s AR really are plenty. I keep musing about doing another just to have something to do, but that’s not a good reason. A suppressor and some nicer glass ought to have me about where I want/need to be.

Former11B
2 July 2019, 15:36
I’ve been downsizing my AR collection and focused on a few great builds vs a dozen budget builds. I have been more interested in other semi’s that aren’t ar’s. I’ve also gone half commie and got into the AK game.

Sooo....getting rid of the Mk12? ;)

Creeky73
6 July 2019, 19:26
I've downscaled to just one rifle. I got over BRD a long time ago when I realized I didn't have the wallet to play with the big boys. Also, I have a friend who fell into that trap of building a bunch of cheap AR's from Palmetto parts, just because he could afford it buying parts through them, and I kept asking myself why he didn't just save up and buy 1-2 AR's he could be proud of instead of 5-6 made out of the cheapest parts he could get. In the end, I can only shoot one gun at a time, and I'm not trying to build an arsenal to arm the whole neighborhood with, so I have a hard time justifying it. I got a S&W MP Sport II that I've done a couple of things to that I could do myself without special tools. Other than that, i'm buying mags and ammo.

Former11B
7 July 2019, 07:36
I've downscaled to just one rifle. I got over BRD a long time ago when I realized I didn't have the wallet to play with the big boys. Also, I have a friend who fell into that trap of building a bunch of cheap AR's from Palmetto parts, just because he could afford it buying parts through them, and I kept asking myself why he didn't just save up and buy 1-2 AR's he could be proud of instead of 5-6 made out of the cheapest parts he could get. In the end, I can only shoot one gun at a time, and I'm not trying to build an arsenal to arm the whole neighborhood with, so I have a hard time justifying it. I got a S&W MP Sport II that I've done a couple of things to that I could do myself without special tools. Other than that, i'm buying mags and ammo.

I would have one back up rifle. A catastrophic failure and all those mags and ammunition becomes useless. Otherwise I like your train of thought

UWone77
7 July 2019, 08:39
Fear the man with one rifle, for he knows how to use it.

UWone77
7 July 2019, 08:41
I would have one back up rifle. A catastrophic failure and all those mags and ammunition becomes useless. Otherwise I like your train of thought

I'm with you, probably do 3 rifles though. If someone stole all my rifles tomorrow, I'd probably just replace them with 3.

2 SR15's setup exactly the same, Aimpoint M5's or T2's, Scout lights, BFG Slings, ect.

1 10.3 CQBR, because I need a shorty.

fledge
7 July 2019, 08:53
That’s an interesting thought experiment: If all your rifles were stolen, how would you replace them.

I think all our knowledge and preferences have matured over time.

That’s another reason the AR market has slowed and interest waned. It’s the same stuff with a new marketing angle or gimmick attached. If we all just grabbed three top tier rifles and called it good the market would be only be competing with small replacement parts, a few accessories, reloading and training.

Creeky73
7 July 2019, 10:46

you are probably right. And even buying complete rifles is so cheap these days, it's hard to justify not having one. It could even be one identical to my current one or snatch up the Ruger entry level AR....not that any of these rifles are perfect, but I can't tell you how glad I am that the market moved away from requiring at least $1k to get a rifle you could trust.

alamo5000
7 July 2019, 11:43
A rifle you can trust is a subjective phrase that depends on who it is.

If I was in Afghanistan or if I was a police officer my requirements are way different.

Trust to hold up under what circumstances?

I would think getting a more expensive rifle is still not a luxury for many people.

fledge
7 July 2019, 11:45
A rifle you can trust is a subjective phrase that depends on who it is.

If I was in Afghanistan or if I was a police officer my requirements are way different.

Trust to hold up under what circumstances?

I would think getting a more expensive rifle is still not a luxury for many people.

The operative term is “you.”

alamo5000
7 July 2019, 12:33

This is definitely true. That was my point.

If I was carrying a gun for a living both figurative and literally speaking I would have a lot of nice stuff.

alamo5000
7 July 2019, 12:43

If I was a carpenter I would probably splurge on the more expensive hammer that had an ergonomic grip to it as well.

Would a cheap hand me down hammer drive nails? Probably, but if I put the same cheap hammer under commercial use it might not last for long.

It all depends on the "you" part.

Creeky73
7 July 2019, 13:02
If I was a carpenter I would probably splurge on the more expensive hammer that had an ergonomic grip to it as well.

Would a cheap hand me down hammer drive nails? Probably, but if I put the same cheap hammer under commercial use it might not last for long.

It all depends on the "you" part.

I get what you guys are saying. No, it probably wouldn't be a major stretch to save up a little more than double the price of the two guns I mentioned, and get one Daniel Defense or BCM setup. And no doubt, the level of trust would rise. However, I would say that the two rifles I mentioned have been pretty well tested (I am aware that I can't solely rely on Mr Gunsngear or Sootch for all my information, I get it) and they seemed to perform well. Were they dropped out of a Blackhawk? No...but in reality I cannot afford to set up even a single gun in some kind of SEAL rig, so all I can do is all I can do. Besides, I think in these cheaper guns, doing a simple upgrade like swapping to a more mil-spec or NiB bcg probably goes a long way towards solving some of the reliability issues you might have. I intend to put a Sharp's bcg in there at some point.

UWone77
7 July 2019, 13:16
I would say for the majority of us paper/dirt weekend shooters a sub 1k rifle is fine. Obviously, inspect the usual parts, then shoot enough rounds down range with it so you know what you're getting.

You can get a lot of top tier gun for 1k these days. Like a complete BCM that would cover 99.9% of us.

Joelski
7 July 2019, 13:41
I probably won't ever own a factory made rifle. Having invested in the tools, it's definitely cheaper to build a high quality rifle that is the sum of its parts by about half again what you would pay for the factory gun. That said, I sure as hell would like a KAC barrel and bolt to make my parts gun a 100% genuine KAC rifle, but the barrel in it is no slouch. Guys like Stick and Rich would agree, I dare say. The key is having armorer training to make the guns legitimately well assembled vs. being a YouTube scholar (Nothing wrong with that), but having a cred to back up your skill validates your work in a lot of people's eyes.

One other thing to consider: even the factory built rifle is worth more as parts than whole in this flat, buyer's market.

I will keep building on a hobbyist basis for now, but if another panic buy rolls around, I will happily sell down to a few, keeping only my most prized AR's. Until then, I have no plan to decide which ones I will keep, aside from my NFA wives.

Aragorn
7 July 2019, 15:07
I intend to put a Sharp's bcg in there at some point.

Don't! I had one, and a pair of bolts. NOT all they're cracked up o be. Carrier was dimensionally out of spec bad enough to cause the nickel Teflon to rub off and both bolts had DEEP tool marks on them.

If you need a fancy bolt get an LMT E-Bolt. If you need an entire fancy BCG get literally any of the other boutique ones out there. Forward Controls, Cryptic, LMT...

Creeky73
7 July 2019, 17:03
Don't! I had one, and a pair of bolts. NOT all they're cracked up o be. Carrier was dimensionally out of spec bad enough to cause the nickel Teflon to rub off and both bolts had DEEP tool marks on them.

If you need a fancy bolt get an LMT E-Bolt. If you need an entire fancy BCG get literally any of the other boutique ones out there. Forward Controls, Cryptic, LMT...

thanks for the info, that's disappointing to hear, a lot of people rave about them.