PDA

View Full Version : Handguard ideas...

SwissyJim
23 February 2015, 12:21
Hey.
Looking for ideas for handguard purchase. I'm planning a new SBR upper in .458Socom. I already have a 5.56 and 300BLK, each with a different handguard. 300BLK has the Seekins MCSR rail so the suppressor under rides. The 5.56 has the OEM Weapon Supply 'Star' handguard, since they were a Stickman contest sponsor (and I really liked the star cutout on the rail!)

So... I am looking to add another different handguard. I'm planning on a Tromix 10½" barrel and want to end of the rail to be as close to the muzzle device as possiible since I'm planning on a Lane .458 suppressor. I've looked at the normal Giessel, Seekins, Parallax, MI and so on. I'm hoping to find something that is not as 'mainstream' like the OEM to keep it unique.

Ideas? preferably with links... thanks!

Ride4frnt
23 February 2015, 12:34
10" SLR or 10" widwest ssm or ssk

SINNER
23 February 2015, 12:51
New Mega rail? My next rail purchase. That or I am really liking the Aero M4E1 upper/rail combo's. I have not assembled either of mine but they are very well made. Their COP seems nice also but never touched one.

Stone
23 February 2015, 13:46
Wilson TRIM rail, definitely one of my favorites.

voodoo_man
23 February 2015, 14:26
Lancer carbon fiber rail...

GOST
23 February 2015, 14:41
If you're wanting unique this place makes custom handguards.

https://unique-ars.com/product-category/hand-guards/

SwissyJim
23 February 2015, 18:43
Thanks for the ideas... SLR has actually been at the top of my list for a bit. I need to get the gas block form them anyways, and I like the looks of the rails. Unless I find another one I like better I'm thinking SLR will be it. Altho, Gost... the unique ones does give me some ideas!!! I looked at the Lancers as well, I just don't like the way it transitions from the upper to the rail.

Keep the ideas coming! I'm looking at the other suggestions and welcome more. It's going to mate up to the CMT upper I won in stick's giveaway if that helps.

Ride4frnt
23 February 2015, 18:45
Thanks for the ideas... SLR has actually been at the top of my list for a bit. I need to get the gas block form them anyways, and I like the looks of the rails. Unless I find another one I like better I'm thinking SLR will be it. Altho, Gost... the unique ones does give me some ideas!!! I looked at the Lancers as well, I just don't like the way it transitions from the upper to the rail.

Keep the ideas coming! I'm looking at the other suggestions and welcome more. It's going to mate up to the CMT upper I won in stick's giveaway if that helps.

If lightweight is the goal, the midwest is about as light as I've seen besides the uber light titanium barrel nut models, etc, about only about a half ounce lighter than the SLR.

GOST
23 February 2015, 18:48
The new offerings from 2A Armament are really light, but nothing in the length you're wanting yet.

http://www.2a-arms.com/products

SwissyJim
23 February 2015, 19:09
in all honesty, weight is not as much of an issue. I did not build the SBR to be light weight, but rather to be robust and damn sexy lookin' [:D]

sadly the unique ones are all the wrong length as well...

DutyUse
23 February 2015, 19:13
Really liking the new mega wedgelock mlok rail. (Stupid autocorrect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farva
23 February 2015, 23:03
BCM KMR is ridiculously light weight. 6.3oz with barrel nut. The rail alone is only like 4.1oz Like they feel fake. They also make them in a 10" so it might fit the bill there. It does "flare out" (extends slightly pasted the end) so a 10" would actually measure 10.5" at the flare. It might be a cool look.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR10-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-10-556-blk.htm

Of course finding them in stock is the real trick.

Farva
23 February 2015, 23:09
If you're wanting unique this place makes custom handguards.

https://unique-ars.com/product-category/hand-guards/

I have one of these laying around somewhere. I won it in a contest off Instagram among other things. It's a cool idea but not really my cup of joe. I'll see if I can find it and throw up a picture.

UWone77
23 February 2015, 23:11
Quad? KeyMod? M-LOK? Is that part important?

SwissyJim
24 February 2015, 14:06
Thanks for the new ideas... amazing the amount of stuff out there.

Quad? KeyMod? M-LOK? Is that part important?
I don't want the 'traditional' quad rails, altho the rails on the ends, and of course the upper rail, are good, like the Parallax or SLR stuff. I have picatinny stuff and keymod as well, but no mlok so I'll probably pass on that - unless it's just too badass to pass on! LOL

The biggest issue would be the length- it can not be too long if the ID is less than the suppressor (1.5"), but i'm hoping to get the gap to be as little as possible. My 5.56 upper with the OEM rail has more than I'd like, but the rail is too cool with the star to change. ;)

UWone77
24 February 2015, 14:23
This is a 10.3 on a 9.5" Centurion CMR. The 10.5 would have slightly more gap, but I'm a big fan of the CMR because it's so slim.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2208_zps7095ea3a.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2208_zps7095ea3a.jpg.html)

SwissyJim
24 February 2015, 15:19
CMR is pretty good looking, and the 9½" is about as good as it gets - not many offer a 9½ rail. Plus the Lane can I am planning on is a direct thread I believe, so the gap may not be as much as one would think. Is there the possibility of add a rail section on the front, to attach my magnetospeed chrono for load testing?

UWone77
24 February 2015, 15:58
CMR is pretty good looking, and the 9½" is about as good as it gets - not many offer a 9½ rail. Plus the Lane can I am planning on is a direct thread I believe, so the gap may not be as much as one would think. Is there the possibility of add a rail section on the front, to attach my magnetospeed chrono for load testing?

You can definitely add 1913 panels on the handguard. The CMR has their own accessory pack and individual accessories to add on.

I've also been using the Arisaka Handstop.