PDA

View Full Version : "5.56 Optimized" alternative for Civilians

JGifford
24 February 2015, 08:00
As many of you know, the 5.56 "Browntip" or "Optimized" is doing very well across the pond. Lots of people want it here stateside for their own hunting or home/self-defense round of choice. Similar rounds have been loaded by the now defunct SSA, and the excellent Stan Chen of ASYM.

Black Hills is providing another very high quality alternative. As many know, Black Hills loads ammunition for every branch of the military, including the MK262 MOD 1 77gr OTM ammunition. They know how to load a round "hot" (to 5.56 pressure), that will not show over-pressure signs in the heat in Iraq/Afghanistan (or a parked police cruiser on a hot day in Texas). They know how to load accurate ammo. They also know how to properly seal both ends of the round (case neck, and primer).

This last is what separated 5.56 Browntip/Optimized from ALL OTHER 70gr mono-metal loads available to civilians up until this point.

Black Hills is now going to create and market a 5.56 pressure round, sealed at case neck, and primer, using the Hornady 70gr GMX projectile. It's probably as close as one can get to the fabled "Browntip" ammo, although I believe the Browntip uses a TSX instead of a GMX bullet. Arguably, the GMX is an even better projectile for its superior performance on windshields and its resistance to fouling barrels quite as much.

As another tidbit, all 5.56 rounds that Black Hills loads with TSX or GMX projectiles, will now be sealed at the case neck (previously they were just sealed at the primers).

PS. To the mod who moved this for me. Thank-you. I am trying to adjust from working night-shift for 5 years, I just moved, and life is fuzzy.

UWone77
25 February 2015, 01:50
Very interesting. Thanks for info. I'll be keeping an eye out for this ammo.

SINNER
25 February 2015, 05:45
The GMX is a fantastic projectile. I will be interested to see how hard Black Hills pushes them. Seems they like to be on the upper end of velocity in the calibers I have played with.

JGifford
25 February 2015, 06:38
The GMX is a fantastic projectile. I will be interested to see how hard Black Hills pushes them. Seems they like to be on the upper end of velocity in the calibers I have played with.

I would speculate you will see 2500ish through a 10.3", and around 2750-2800 through a 16".

Stone
25 February 2015, 14:25
In case some folks don't know SSA was bought out by Nosler and you can still get their 70g 556 TSX round as well.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/ssa-5-56mm-70-gr-ssa-schp.html