PDA

View Full Version : Tires

UWone77
1 March 2015, 23:04
Anyone know anything about tires? It's time to get some new tires on basically our commuter car. Looking for some good all around - all seasons with good performance on wet pavement/rain.

DutyUse
1 March 2015, 23:22
I've changed a couple thousand sets in my past life. What's your budget

UWone77
1 March 2015, 23:28
I've changed a couple thousand sets in my past life. What's your budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably in the 500-700 range.

DutyUse
1 March 2015, 23:31
Goodyear assurance triple tread is what I would normally recommend. About 30-40k mile life span depending on driving habits. Good wet/dry performance. Only fair in snow but doubt you have much in the PNW. 430-470 a set is a good price including a mount and balance; varies depending on the shops volume of sale. That's what I put on my wife's car.

gatordev
2 March 2015, 04:03
My recommendation is go to Tire Rack and peruse the tires for your car. Even if you don't buy from them, after you sort through the reviews for either your make and/or model, you can start to get a feel for what's working for a lot of people. I've done that several times for two kinds of driving (SUV and my BMW) and I haven't been disappointed with the results or surprised when a tire has some less than perfect trait that I had already read about and knew was a tradeoff.

bzdog
2 March 2015, 06:10
Since I live in the same area, I optimize my tires for good performance on wet pavement. I've tried quite a few, and really like the Continental DWS. They even are pretty good on snow, even in my (past) RWD Infiniti G35C.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

-john

SINNER
2 March 2015, 07:18
What kind of car and driving habits? Highway or in town?

Jerry R
2 March 2015, 08:46
UW, as you research online - check your OEM Speed Rating on "what came on it". I just bought some Goodyear's for Brenda's SUV. Good tires with a good mileage rating. If you match the speed rating on the OEM's, or go higher, you should see close to that in real life (assuming normal driving habits). Cost me about $11 per tire to upgrade to "H" rated tires from what I looked at. I would also recommend new valve stems every time you replace tires - but that is just me.

DutyUse
3 March 2015, 01:50
Speed ratings are a bit gimmicky to me. No offense Jerry because I know you mean well. Realize that's a "sustained" speed. Like it can do "x" speed for "x" miles using this compound. Even our cheapest tires the gy integrities are good for over 110mph.

Also your rating changes dramatically depending on weight of car. thing to consider is the higher the rating for speed, the softer and gripper the tire the less life you can expect. For a commuter car just find something inexpensive with the characteristics your looking for. People over think tires, can't tell you how many eagle GT II's I sold because the owner of a mustang didn't want a tire that could only do 130 and would complain when his tires were bald after 12k miles.

Also any reputable shop is replacing stems on a set of tires they sell. They also should rotate and balance for free every 5k mild for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeles
3 March 2015, 17:10
The Continentel DWS that BZDog recommended will get a +1 from me. when i worked at a repair shop I sold quite a few sets of those. more budget friendly (and currently on my daily) is the Uniroyal tigerpaws. good basic commuter tire. On the fun car I have the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT..

Uffdaphil
4 March 2015, 06:26
I second the Tire Rack reviews. Decide which aspects are most important to you. Noise and tread life were high priority when I used to do lots of hwy driving. Now that it's almost all urban I consider traction and cornering more important.

It's the user survey results chart that I prefer to site reviews.

voodoo_man
4 March 2015, 07:20
In a past life I burned through tires like it was my job...

my "go to" were Falken tires. For racing, for burning and for grip. They make some decent stuff.

Obviously not cheap.

Jerry R
4 March 2015, 08:20
No offense Jerry

None taken [:D] I was just repeating what I was told about sidewall flex based on speed rating.

UWone77
7 March 2015, 20:50
I doubt a 2009 Pontiac G6 with a 4cyl needs to worry about speed ratings. [BD]

Ended up getting some MICHELIN PREMIER A/S tires. We'll get them thrown on next week.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 March 2015, 20:56
"like a g6, like a g6"

sorry i may or may not have partaken in spirits....[:D]

UWone77
8 March 2015, 20:13
"like a g6, like a g6"

sorry i may or may not have partaken in spirits....[:D]

Sounds like you were hanging out with Luis too much!

Dstrbdmedic167
8 March 2015, 20:14
Sounds like you were hanging out with Luis too much!

Haha naw. Just a drunk night at the computer lol. Good news is I didn't order anything!

UWone77
8 March 2015, 20:20
Haha naw. Just a drunk night at the computer lol. Good news is I didn't order anything!

Good to hear. Gotta give the CC a break!

I'm done spending for awhile. We are officially house hunting.

Dstrbdmedic167
8 March 2015, 20:21
Good to hear. Gotta give the CC a break!

I'm done spending for awhile. We are officially house hunting.

Great! When you're ready to send stuff my way let me know! I'll PM you my address again! Bwahahaha

Just trying to make the move easier and all

UWone77
8 March 2015, 20:46
Great! When you're ready to send stuff my way let me know! I'll PM you my address again! Bwahahaha

Just trying to make the move easier and all

LOL... you have plenty of stuff already! Now the WEVO Ginger... he has nothing...

Dstrbdmedic167
8 March 2015, 20:50
LOL... you have plenty of stuff already! Now the WEVO Ginger... he has nothing...

Agreed. And hey you can hand deliver to him! I was gonna give him a free shirt when i was printing but an Anonymous member stepped up and paid for one for him. I've never met him but I like him. I must like gingers, and sadly my wife is not..

I am in dire need of a basic BS upper. Shape condition and name doesn't matter.. :wink wink: I put it all on black, umbrella seashell black that is! Which will be in my hands tomorrow! What about you?

UWone77
8 March 2015, 21:01
Agreed. And hey you can hand deliver to him! I was gonna give him a free shirt when i was printing but an Anonymous member stepped up and paid for one for him. I've never met him but I like him. I must like gingers, and sadly my wife is not..

I am in dire need of a basic BS upper. Shape condition and name doesn't matter.. :wink wink: I put it all on black, umbrella seashell black that is! Which will be in my hands tomorrow! What about you?

I'm sending him some stuff to get him started on a new upper. Are you building a new basic upper for that lower?

I'm getting no love.

Umbrella shipped my stuff not that long ago, so my receivers aren't coming in until Friday, and Surefire just shipped my Scouts. I guess my money is no good!

Dstrbdmedic167
8 March 2015, 21:09
I'm sending him some stuff to get him started on a new upper. Are you building a new basic upper for that lower?

I'm getting no love.

Umbrella shipped my stuff not that long ago, so my receivers aren't coming in until Friday, and Surefire just shipped my Scouts. I guess my money is no good!

Good on you! I like that Gingy he's one of my favs!

No that upper will be the Creme de la Creme! This is for my 12.5" .277 WLV Subsonic SBR! I want a used or Blem upper... dont want to buy new.

Advantage to living 2 hrs away from UCWRG, kinda like you and Rainer Arms.

The scout thing sucks, im almost due to replace a battery already!

mustangfreek
9 March 2015, 03:26
hey...how did this go from tires to gingers...lol....

bzdog
9 March 2015, 06:44
because: internet

;-)

Uffdaphil
9 March 2015, 07:11
Here is what the radical street racers were running in my day -circa 1966. 8" seemed so fat then. I remember a 1941 Willys with these and motorcycle tires on the front shutting down all the musclecars on Lake street. For poor me it was a $5 retread each week to keep my old 347 Pontiac in the running. I can't remember the last time I saw a stoplight drag.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/uffdaphil/image.jpg1_14.jpg (http://s150.photobucket.com/user/uffdaphil/media/image.jpg1_14.jpg.html)