PDA

View Full Version : My optic buying experience

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 17:18
I recently sold my Bushnell scope and opted to transition to a Vortex Viper 1-4x with the MOA reticule and open turrets.

I literally tried 4 or 5 places and NO ONE had this scope in stock. I saw on Optics Planet that they had it so I placed an order. A few days later I got an email stating that the optic would ship in '5-10 days' or something like that... Then after a while I called to get a status and figure out what the deal was because now they were telling me 'it's on extended backorder'.

I called Optics Planet and they told me that it was out of stock and on back order. They had the MRAD version but not the MOA version. After a while on the phone the guy told me it wasn't due to be in stock until the end of April. I mean TWO MONTHS! Seriously?

I then called Vortex directly and asked them about that and some other things and they also told me that the optic was on back order and that I would have to wait at least a month "probably two" before they could ship it.

I looked at a number of places and none of them had a copy, not even Vortex. Finally I went to Amazon dot com and even there it was listed as being on back-order. WTH?

On Amazon I saw the 'other sellers' and went down the list and found one that had over 99% positive reviews but was listed halfway down the more sellers list. I googled them and got a number for them. I called and FINALLY they said yes, they had it in stock. The price was exactly the same as the Optics Planet, but long story short they sent me an email saying that it shipped today.

I am really crossing my fingers that it's really the MOA version of the PST Viper. [BD]

I really thought it was just odd that a scope would be sold out like that. I wasn't expecting to have to hunt it down.

The guy at Vortex said 'it's a good problem to have' to which I replied 'for you!' and he kind of laughed...but more or less he said that optic was 'very very popular'.

Anyway I never expected to have to wait like this and to hunt all over to find what I wanted. I am used to it for other things but it almost felt like I was hunting down a box of .22 LR.

GaSwamper
2 March 2015, 17:26
It is a good scope, I usually like a little more scope but this one has became one of my favorites. If you ever have a problem finding a scope again check cameraland or ebay for demo scopes, a lot of the time the demos are good as new with a little savings. And of course the ARFCOM EE always has these used with some at decent deals.

UWone77
2 March 2015, 17:39
I'd look at the Equipment Exchange on other boards like arfcom for it.

A buddy of mine just found one locally for $275 with an ADM Mount... now that's a steal!

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 18:08
I need to get in more on the action of these various boards. To be honest this is the only firearms forum I frequent.

I already paid for the scope and it's on the way so it's all good.

It's kind of funny, I have bought 95% of my camera equipment second hand but I have bought 100% of my gun gear new. Really though I am not buying a lot of stuff, but then again I am only just now getting on the road to be the next Uwone. [:D]

I have a constant struggle between keeping my finances in order and all the stuff that I want to have.

UWone77
2 March 2015, 18:23
I buy quite a lot of things in the secondary market. Especially with firearms, you can get a lot of good deals on items that have never been used or shot. Even better deals if you don't care about scratches or some use.

It's really the main way my parts bin looks bigger than most people's actual collections. [:D]

GaSwamper
2 March 2015, 18:26

A buddy of mine just found one locally for $275 with an ADM Mount... now that's a steal!

That is definitely a steal!

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 18:57
I buy quite a lot of things in the secondary market. Especially with firearms, you can get a lot of good deals on items that have never been used or shot. Even better deals if you don't care about scratches or some use.

It's really the main way my parts bin looks bigger than most people's actual collections. [:D]

I am just curious but just how many rifles do you have? Or is that top secret?

Don't get me wrong... I would love to have 10 AR's and a bunch of other stuff, bolt guns, etc. I have probably 30 or 40 guns of some sort in the house but truth be told the whole AR thing has by far been the most interesting and fun.

Stickman is the one who more or less kicked me in the ass to get started (talking to him on facebook) and I can say I've had nothing but fun with it ever since. That said I have a few mixed emotions. On one hand I like to save money. I am a natural born saver. I am also naturally very curious about things (how does this work, why is that, etc etc) (as you have probably noticed LOL)...so buying without knowing just sheerly on the 'that looks badass' factor is always met with 'but what does it do?' and 'why do I need that?'

I really do have expensive habits but at present I am not making a lot of money so I am trying to find balance. Kind of by necessity I have to measure twice and cut once when it comes to buying things.

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 19:15
It is a good scope, I usually like a little more scope but this one has became one of my favorites.

I have so much stuff that I want it's just stupid. I am just now learning about all this AR stuff so learning things is high on my list. Seemingly little things like 'when then hell (or how in the hell) do you use 2.5x magnification?)...

I am not sure what you mean by 'more scope' but the two angles I take on that are that I would LOVE to have a few $2500 optics ....and I am naturally predispositioned to shoot with longer scopes... on both fronts it's what I would consider 'more scope'. I am pretty tempted to build a second upper and put that Vortex 2.5-10x FFP on there. When I get the urge to shoot groups or do some much longer range shooting I can just swap uppers. I honestly think I could reasonably get that done and eventually build out a second lower so I have two rifles.

But now that I am pushing myself to learn more about how the shorter optics are supposed to be used and what kind of build optimizes their use I am opening a whole different can of worms. Just pulling the trigger and having it go bang is one thing... but knowing and understanding the doctrines and ideas behind all the stuff is something else entirely.

UWone77
2 March 2015, 19:59
I am just curious but just how many rifles do you have? Or is that top secret?

AR's?

I probably have 90+ Uppers, slightly less lowers.

CarbonScoring
2 March 2015, 20:08
AR's?

I take it you don't have a safe; more like a panic room, filled floor to ceiling.

UWone77
2 March 2015, 20:16
I take it you don't have a safe; more like a panic room, filled floor to ceiling.

It's kind of chaos, coupled with lots of safes. The stuff I don't use much stay in a couple of safes.

The stuff that gets used more often stays in a safe that's usually secured when I leave the house. A few uppers and stuff lay around the office.

Probably not the next house, but a panic room is always in the plans. [:)]

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 20:18
AR's?

Holy crap. That's just nuts.

If I had the money though I would do the same :) I seriously have champagne tastes so I am always lusting over the top shelf stuff. I so need to win the powerball.

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 20:25

I was thinking the same thing.

When I strike it rich I will have a gun room like you couldn't even imagine, a warehouse full of ammo, and a few hundred acres set up all kinds of ways of cool.

UWone77
2 March 2015, 20:27
Holy crap. That's just nuts.

If I had the money though I would do the same :) I seriously have champagne tastes so I am always lusting over the top shelf stuff. I so need to win the powerball.

Sorry, I have 89 Uppers, I just remembered I gave one to mustangfreek [:D]

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 20:37
Sorry, I have 89 Uppers, I just remembered I gave one to mustangfreek [:D]

Speaking of uppers how did that longer range upper work out? I am thinking about doing the same/similar.

Seriously though, how much do you shoot? Not to play 20 questions but do you go to public ranges or have some private place where you can shoot? I have it set up where I can do 200+ yards in the back yard but any longer than that and I have to hunt around.

I seriously need to go get myself a real job so I can support my habit. Hedge fund manager might do it for me.

UWone77
2 March 2015, 20:51
Speaking of uppers how did that longer range upper work out? I am thinking about doing the same/similar.

Seriously though, how much do you shoot? Not to play 20 questions but do you go to public ranges or have some private place where you can shoot? I have it set up where I can do 200+ yards in the back yard but any longer than that and I have to hunt around.

I seriously need to go get myself a real job so I can support my habit. Hedge fund manager might do it for me.

We have 2 PD Ranges. A 50 yard and a 200 yard. Department provides ammo in common calibers for you. I'm also on the range staff, and get to shoot pretty much as much as I want.

Thompson
2 March 2015, 21:16
I can see it now; you've seen those TV shows that show you a hoarder's house right? Well that's UW ~ except all guns lol.

Alamo ~ here's another place you might want to look at: B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676285-REG/Vortex_PST_14ST_A_Viper_PST_1_4x24_Riflescope.html ). It's primarily a photography webstore, but oddly enough they sell a decent chunk of optics for firearms. Honestly, you might have a decent chance to find stuff in stock through them, since I doubt too many people are aware of the fact that they sell optics. I've never bought stuff outside of camera gear from them, but they've got rock solid customer service and are pretty painless to deal with. Good shipping times too.

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 21:36
We have 2 PD Ranges. A 50 yard and a 200 yard. Department provides ammo in common calibers for you. I'm also on the range staff, and get to shoot pretty much as much as I want.

I have a lot of cops of various sorts that come into my work all the time (almost daily). They have a little range where they can stretch out to 100 yards about a mile from my work right on my way home. When the time changes I am going to take a couple of guys up on their offers to go shoot. I guess that's the funny thing about Texas. I can go to their range and shoot with the cops and troopers and whoever and their departments chalk it all up as 'public relations'. After the time change I will have a lot more daylight still after I get off.

I have had a couple of cops come over to the house and we had a coke can shooting contest in the back yard (which I won). That was with pistols. I don't know if that's a unique thing to Texas or what. Here if the cops pull you over or know you have a weapon in the car 95% of the time they are like 'nice pistol!' or whatever and just move along. They SO don't care. Maybe it's just me...but at the end of the day I have a bag of nice pistols, I have a clean record and I'm not hurting anyone...

I only have one other guy that I shoot with and when we do it we have a lot of fun. But when I shoot with him it's not really skill related. It's more like 'hey let's shoot some tannerite that is strapped to this pumpkin and see what happens'...but most of the time I am shooting alone. If it's raining or whatever there is an indoor 100 yard range about 30+ minutes away from me.

I would really kind of like to shoot with people who know more than me. I've only really had a couple of times when I was shooting with people who I felt really know a lot.

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 21:37
I can see it now; you've seen those TV shows that show you a hoarder's house right? Well that's UW ~ except all guns lol.

Alamo ~ here's another place you might want to look at: B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676285-REG/Vortex_PST_14ST_A_Viper_PST_1_4x24_Riflescope.html ). It's primarily a photography webstore, but oddly enough they sell a decent chunk of optics for firearms. Honestly, you might have a decent chance to find stuff in stock through them, since I doubt too many people are aware of the fact that they sell optics. I've never bought stuff outside of camera gear from them, but they've got rock solid customer service and are pretty painless to deal with. Good shipping times too.

I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H. I like them. It was all camera stuff but they are good folks there. If I would have thought about it I most definitely would have bought from them.

Edit: Now I am sort of kicking myself. B&H offers a free $50 gift card in the box if I would have bought the scope from them. Dang it. I missed out. Oh well.

alamo5000
2 March 2015, 21:47
Here is a question though, on that Bushnell I had I kind of liked that throw lever. I am thinking about getting one for the Vortex. I am going to try it without it and see and if I need to I can always buy it later. Does anyone else use a cat tail for their variable optics?

SeattleDude
3 March 2015, 22:31
SportOptics.com is where I bought my 3 Viper PSTs. Very good guys. Call them and they will give you additional discount.

http://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-pst-rifle-scopes.aspx

alamo5000
3 March 2015, 22:50
SportOptics.com is where I bought my 3 Viper PSTs. Very good guys. Call them and they will give you additional discount.

http://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-pst-rifle-scopes.aspx

I should have come here and asked the money spending pros first... but at the end of the day I got the scope for the going price so I can't complain. According to the tracking info it should be here by Friday (I hope).

So far the best deal price wise would have been getting the LEO discount direct from Vortex (assuming you could get a LEO discount). Barring that, the second best deal was at B&H because they gave you a $50 B&H gift card for free with the purchase.

Almost all the rest had the same price. The difference being was that particular model in stock or not. Now it appears that two or three places (so far) still have it in stock but I certainly wasn't going to wait on a two month back order.

UWone's idea to buy used probably would have netted me a good deal as well.

Tyrannosaur
4 March 2015, 04:11
Thanks for the options guys, didn't know about B&H.

KevinBLC
5 March 2015, 00:55
Thanks for the options guys, didn't know about B&H.

wonder which of the photographers here are going to buy that new Canon 5D from B&H. Saw the email from them, looks like nice stuff for 3k!

nCarnage
5 March 2015, 15:13

Only thing that scares me is something being counterfeit or never receiving the product. Thats the only thing that scares me with that. But for some reason I would trust it on this forum when Im looking around.