PDA

View Full Version : 16" blackout with mid gas...

mustangfreek
3 March 2015, 04:10
So....I Acquired a project barrel of a hybrid nature..It supposedly ran fine/okay with a can attached but i will not be using a can.

Has anyone played with a mid gas . blackout barrel-16"- i know its uncommon, but before i ditch the idea i want to see if i can get it to shoot supers reliably .

-16" RA/bhw mid length gas barrel
-has adj gas block
-have not measured gas post yet

Not played with blackout yet, and being a broke ass ginger, dont have a lot of powder/bullets to play with to see if this will work reliably..

And go.....[:D]......[BD]

Dstrbdmedic167
3 March 2015, 04:25
It should work but as you said you need to measure the gas port and see where it's at. If you have feeding issues, as you suspect you already will, you can open the port up ".005 and check and then go up another step.

I have some 203gr cast coated bullets if you like some to play with. I could send you 50 or so on the house if you'd like.

mustangfreek
4 March 2015, 00:11
Lol...hummm.....only one reply..

thanks medic.....

din
4 March 2015, 00:51
I don't have much to add, but I think a middy in that caliber might be a challenge to get functioning consistently, even if you are only shooting supers. I think that might be the only barrel I've seen that isn't pistol or carbine. Try setting it up on a lower with the Vltor A5. They help a lot with reliability issues, and you can experiment with lighter weight buffers. Sprinco also makes a nice spring specifically for the A5, I think it's the green one. Just make sure you don't open the gas port more than 0.75".

mustangfreek
4 March 2015, 02:54
I think you mis wrote that number, "" gas port more than 0.75" "', as thats pretty big port...lol..ya not familiar with the vltor system..just dont want to chase my tail around trying to get it to run reliably...

Also any good muzzle device here that might help more then the other?

Looks like IMR 4227 is the slowest of the list that people use, and the only thing i can find for BO powder locally..A wish i could find a pound of lil gun or h110 in my area ...... north end..

din
4 March 2015, 03:47
I think you mis wrote that number, "" gas port more than 0.75" "', as thats pretty big port...lol..ya not familiar with the vltor system..just dont want to chase my tail around trying to get it to run reliably...

Also any good muzzle device here that might help more then the other?

Looks like IMR 4227 is the slowest of the list that people use, and the only thing i can find for BO powder locally..A wish i could find a pound of lil gun or h110 in my area ...... north end..

Yeah, just being a smartass. It would really suck to drill your barrel in half.

Jgifford has a link to some video he shot on the A5 in the member review section, and a whole lot has been written about it over on m4carbine.net. I have A5 setups in both my 300 BLK and 5.56 builds, and as soon as I can afford the stamp to SBR my current project that'll get one too.

As far as muzzle devices go, I dunno. I have an AAC Brakeout v1 on my blackout and it shoots fine, haven't tried it with anything else. If you won't be shooting surpressed just use your favorite device and you should be good. I'm kind of interested in the Brakeout v2 just because you don't have to time it, but they are kind of spendy.

If you spend some time over on 300blktalk.com you can learn from the reloading pain of others, they have a pretty extensive recipe collection. They might be able to help you troubleshoot if you have any problems getting it running how you want.

Ride4frnt
4 March 2015, 08:47
Hmm. Interested to see where this goes. My 16" is pistol length (noveske) and it functions flawlessly with supers and subs (no can). FWIW, I run a T2 Buffer and Wolff XP spring.

voodoo_man
4 March 2015, 08:59
I thought 300blk was designed to run in pistol length systems?

Dstrbdmedic167
4 March 2015, 09:04
I thought 300blk was designed to run in pistol length systems?

It is/was. It's made to run fast burning powders especially with subs. He will probably have to use a slower burning powder to ensure he gets enough pressure to cycle it.

mustangfreek
5 March 2015, 02:33
It is/was. It's made to run fast burning powders especially with subs. He will probably have to use a slower burning powder to ensure he gets enough pressure to cycle it.

Indeed..I only have IMR 4227 to play with some nosler 110's and hornady 150's ( all i have at the moment) and a few different boxes of factory ammo..What powder do you recommend to play with medic?

took it apart as just for shits and giggles wanted to check stuff out and gas hole is at .097..i opened it up to .110 and put it back together, want to find a muzzle device before i play with it....Which is also something im thinking any thing gonna help here besides hanging a big kx off the end of a 16" barrel, which is not what i want to do..lol..

Also thinking of trying a semi auto carrier, a little lighter, assuming it might help...

mustangfreek
5 March 2015, 02:36
Hmm. Interested to see where this goes. My 16" is pistol length (noveske) and it functions flawlessly with supers and subs (no can). FWIW, I run a T2 Buffer and Wolff XP spring.

ya i wish i could of done a noveske barrel..but this kinda landed in my lap..lol...

So without wasting a bunch of time and ammo/components to get it to run right, figured id ask , if any tips anyone can think of

have a few different bufferes to play with but assuming a std is what it is gonna need or a halfway hollowed out one...lol..really i dont know...wish i had a friend with a lathe and some machines..would just chop it down and reprofile and drill pistol gas hole..

SwissyJim
5 March 2015, 09:19
man, I'll have to search around on 300blktalk - I don't ever recall anyone mentioning anything other than pistol or carbine length systems! There's a guy on the board that goes by Certifiable, that has done tons of testing. I have used his work as a base for all my load workups. He has everything on a spreadsheet - I'll see if he has any knowledge to share.

as far as powder, any luck with Reloder7 in your area? It's listed slower than 1680 or 4227, and I'm having great luck with Nosler 190g subsonic loads. Just a thought, but it may work in the longer system?

mustangfreek
14 March 2015, 02:14
UPDATE:

Scratch this idea, new plan is coming together and the WEVO ginger's 1st BO build is underway...

din
14 March 2015, 02:26
UPDATE:

Scratch this idea, new plan is coming together and the WEVO ginger's 1st BO build is underway...

Spill it!

mustangfreek
14 March 2015, 02:29
lol..nothing too special..just not using this odd ball barrel anymore..still a 16" for this build..

Nevergiveupthefight
14 March 2015, 21:36
I just bought a JD Machine upper and lower for a .300 Blackout build, and my buddy was telling me that he called up Wilson Combat and they made him a 16" fluted stainlees mid length gas barrel. I'm going to give them a call on Monday and see if they can make me one!

din
14 March 2015, 22:10
Dude.

Nevergiveupthefight
15 March 2015, 13:38
I was looking on Wilsons website, and their 16" .300 Blackout has a .106 gas port. from my understanding the issue of a carbine length gas system with the .300 Blackout was the gas port was too small in some barrels cause most of the feeding issues.

Mecha_Arms
23 April 2015, 22:22
So....I Acquired a project barrel of a hybrid nature..It supposedly ran fine/okay with a can attached but i will not be using a can.

Has anyone played with a mid gas . blackout barrel-16"- i know its uncommon, but before i ditch the idea i want to see if i can get it to shoot supers reliably .

-16" RA/bhw mid length gas barrel
-has adj gas block
-have not measured gas post yet

Not played with blackout yet, and being a broke ass ginger, dont have a lot of powder/bullets to play with to see if this will work reliably..

And go.....[:D]......[BD]

I have that barrel, and it's possible to get it running fine with supers, but you won't find much of anything online about it. The barrel was a mistake that RA blew out cheap (they were supposed to be carbine length, but came in mid-length). I believe RA opened up the gas ports. I don't have a measurement on the gas port handy.

I complicated mine by deciding to run a rifle buffer/tube instead of carbine. I have a regular full auto carrier on it, and run a JP LMOS buffer and it's good with supers. Getting that mass down a bit is what helped get it running. It wouldn't reliably cycle with a regular rifle buffer. Had I run a carbine buffer, I think it might have ran ok with just that. One of the RA guys thought that I should use an adjustable gas block, but I didn't, since I didn't need less gas, I needed more of it.

I like the upper quite a bit, mostly because it's unique. You won't run into too many people with mid-length Blackout builds. Most folks don't believe they'll work.

UWone77
24 April 2015, 18:30
I think mustangfreek AKA WEVO Gingertastic was able to figure out this project... as Black Hole Weaponry offered and swapped out his mid gas 300 for a carbine gas 300. I think he's just waiting for a few last parts to get it running and shooting.

mustangfreek
25 April 2015, 00:18
I think mustangfreek AKA WEVO Gingertastic was able to figure out this project... as Black Hole Weaponry offered and swapped out his mid gas 300 for a carbine gas 300. I think he's just waiting for a few last parts to get it running and shooting.

Correct...

After tons of digging around, and as a last resort kinda question just to see what they had to say or any pointers, well he had a quick answer, I want that oddball back and will swap it out for a carbine gas 16" barrel of theirs no questions asked, actually he insisted and sent a shipping label for the old barrel in another email at the same time as BHW's first reply, they seemed to be on it and had the new one within a week..

Mecha_Arms
27 April 2015, 22:46
Correct...

After tons of digging around, and as a last resort kinda question just to see what they had to say or any pointers, well he had a quick answer, I want that oddball back and will swap it out for a carbine gas 16" barrel of theirs no questions asked, actually he insisted and sent a shipping label for the old barrel in another email at the same time as BHW's first reply, they seemed to be on it and had the new one within a week..

Wow, that's a great outcome.

Getting the barrel I did was an interesting way to really dig into gas systems, buffer weights, reciprocating mass, etc. But if I had it all to do over again, I'd go with a carbine or pistol gas barrel. Not having the ability to run subs out of the gun, or suppress it, definitely was a disappointment.