PDA

View Full Version : 16" Rainier Arms Match Barrel (Rock Creek Blanks)

UWone77
5 March 2015, 17:14
Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-16-rock-creek-blank) is making a limited run of their 16" Match series barrels, but this time with Rock Creek Blanks. As you know, Rock Creek makes some of the finest blanks out there for precision barrels.

Order Here: http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-16-rock-creek-blank

Description:

Limited Run of Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-16-rock-creek-blank) barrels built on Rock Creek Blanks with 5R rifling! Still comes with our 100% money back guarantee within 90 days of purchase. If you aren't completely satisfied with the barrel for any reason, return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

We offer a 1:8 twist to accommodate to a wide range of bullet weights. Guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA with match grade ammo.

Specifications:

Stainless Steel Match Grade Blank
Length: 16"
Twist: 1:8
Thread Pitch: 1/2 X 28
.750 Gas Block Seat
.223 Wylde Chamber
Midlength Gas System
M4 Feed Ramps
Proprietary Contour
Bead Blasted Finish
Weight: 2 lbs. 2 oz.

MSRP: $299.95

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/rock-creek-16-mid-a_zps6imkg4zv.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/rock-creek-16-mid-a_zps6imkg4zv.jpg.html)
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/rock-creek-16-mid-d_zpsflkyzxge.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/rock-creek-16-mid-d_zpsflkyzxge.jpg.html)
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/rock-creek-16-mid-c_zpshsuve5qk.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/rock-creek-16-mid-c_zpshsuve5qk.jpg.html)

UWone77
5 March 2015, 17:15
If there is interest, Rainier will offer these barrels to WEVO Members for I believe $260. I'll see if they can email me a coupon code for you guys.

ETA, Coupon Code: WEVOROCKCREEK

$40 Off.

Naytwan
5 March 2015, 17:25
That's a hell of a deal. I had a rock creek barrel on a Remington 700. It would put 5 rounds in a single hole if I did my part.

GOST
5 March 2015, 17:25
What's not to like, a barrel with Mustang performance but priced like a Feista.

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 17:39
HOLY CRAP.

I am definitely interested.

Here is a concept for you UW... please tell me your opinion.

I am considering building another upper and getting that Vortex 2.5-10x FFP to put on it. It will be my paper punching and 600+ yard gun (upper). For a long range gopher shooter would that be better served by an 18" barrel or would a 16" be fine for a .223?

UWone77
5 March 2015, 17:43
HOLY CRAP.

I am definitely interested.

Here is a concept for you UW... please tell me your opinion.

I am considering building another upper and getting that Vortex 2.5-10x FFP to put on it. It will be my paper punching and 600+ yard gun (upper). For a long range gopher shooter would that be better served by an 18" barrel or would a 16" be fine for a .223?

If you do your part, you can hit steel all day and gophers without issue with a 16"

If you want a 18" you'll obviously get a slightly more velocity, but that's a personal thing. Just build both like we know you will. [BD]

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 17:59
If you do your part, you can hit steel all day and gophers without issue with a 16"

If you want a 18" you'll obviously get a slightly more velocity, but that's a personal thing. Just build both like we know you will. [BD]

You're killing me! I have so many things running around my head right now LOL

Do you know if these barrels are treated like the Select line is (for extended barrel life)? I have the Rainier Select barrel on mine now and my best performance to date was a group smaller than a dime (and even then I felt like I pulled a shot). That was at 100 yards with a 4x scope. I am sure that I could best that even with what I have.

Under optimal conditions assuming IDEAL conditions and IDEAL ammo, what kind of performance difference would be seen between the select line and this match line? I noticed the chamber is wylde and not the 5.56, it also has different rifling, and maybe a slightly different contour... but other than that... what is the real deal on 'match grade' barrels....

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 18:02
And do they come in black?

UWone77
5 March 2015, 18:12
And do they come in black?

No, these are stainless finish only for now. Limited run. They may do some more, but right now there are 25 I believe.

Txfilmmaker
5 March 2015, 18:40
Forgive my "newb" questions... Can you shoot 556 in a Wylde barrel? Would you want to? Would this be more of a bench gun barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 19:08
Forgive my "newb" questions... Can you shoot 556 in a Wylde barrel? Would you want to? Would this be more of a bench gun barrel?

Yes. There are 3 main chambers. .223, 5.56 and Wylde. The Wylde is like a hybrid chamber between the .223 and the 5.56.

There may be more chambers but those are the main three that I know of. The differences are minute but there are differences.

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 19:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde

Most bench shooters would have a straight .223 chamber. But there you are talking about ridiculous accuracy. You will be rolling your own finely tuned ammo built for YOUR GUN otherwise you won't get the most out of the barrel.

UWone77
5 March 2015, 19:24
alamo, you might be a great shooter, but personally, I cannot shoot the match vs the select better than the other. I'm just not good enough.

For guys looking to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of their barrel, this may fit the bill though.

Txfilmmaker
5 March 2015, 19:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde

Most bench shooters would have a straight .223 chamber. But there you are talking about ridiculous accuracy. You will be rolling your own finely tuned ammo built for YOUR GUN otherwise you won't get the most out of the barrel.

Thanks for the info. We still need to try to make it out to the range sometime. This barrel is a very good deal, but I will probably get one based on budget. Ballistic Advantage is giving away a barrel sometime next week. If I'm able to continue my winning ways, I get to choose any 16 inch barrel that they make. They have two 16" Hanson profile barrels. One is stainless steel and chambered in 223 Wylde. The other is a melanite treated barrel in and 556. My preference is to buy a BCM or DD CHF barrel. My budget may put me in the Ballistic Advantage barrel arena.

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 19:38
alamo, you might be a great shooter, but personally, I cannot shoot the match vs the select better than the other. I'm just not good enough.

For guys looking to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of their barrel, this may fit the bill though.

I was thinking the same thing. :)

But I certainly don't claim to be a great shooter...

In fact one option that I was also considering is taking my current upper with the Select Medcon on it and put that Vortex 2.5-10x FFP on this one and then get a CHF barrel and put my 1-4x on the new one.

When you are trying to squeeze groups into .25 inches at 100 yards your ammo has to be just perfect but I am thinking for my long range gun that I envision my current upper/barrel can do that NO PROBLEM. I think in some ways my barrel now is TOO good so it causes me a lot of concern. And it's supposedly not as 'accurate' as this match one...

My brain just wants to explode [BD] In ways I have a connundrum of too many choices.

I don't think ANY 1-4x optic actually serves the barrel I have now up to it's potential. Don't get me wrong... I love it but for general purpose shooting with random ammo it's sort of overkill.

If I get something like the mountain series barrel (or something like that) for my steel shooting with cheap ammo... I think that would be more than good.

UWone77
5 March 2015, 19:39
Thanks for the info. We still need to try to make it out to the range sometime. This barrel is a very good deal, but I will probably get one based on budget. Ballistic Advantage is giving away a barrel sometime next week. If I'm able to continue my winning ways, I get to choose any 16 inch barrel that they make. They have two 16" Hanson profile barrels. One is stainless steel and chambered in 223 Wylde. The other is a melanite treated barrel in and 556. My preference is to buy a BCM or DD CHF barrel. My budget may put me in the Ballistic Advantage barrel arena.

LOL... counting on winning to obtain product.

I love it.

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 19:45

I am ready to go when you are. It's only half an hour... but after this weekend the time will change so then it becomes much easier to arrange stuff. Seriously, I am not by any means an expert nor do I have the amount of experience as Uwone but I will tell you that for a general purpose rifle you can go overboard with the barrel. If you are going stainless steel I wouldn't even hesitate to buy the Rainier Select Medcon. It will be MORE than enough. After learning a lot on this Rainier has the best all around package by far.

BUT if you want to shoot a general AR and aren't going to fawn over what kind of ammo to get... just get a general purpose barrel.

Txfilmmaker
5 March 2015, 19:51
I am definitely looking forward to the time change. I will look for an opportunity to try to meet up with you. You have a lot more knowledge than I do. I've gotten several good bits of advice from UWone77 and others.

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 20:00
I am definitely looking forward to the time change. I will look for an opportunity to try to meet up with you. You have a lot more knowledge than I do. I've gotten several good bits of advice from UWone77 and others.

I've learned a lot from him and Stickman both. There are several members here who gave very solid advice.

I have heard a lot of bull from a lot of people but the trick is knowing who is telling you bull and who isn't.

The only reason I know anything is because I went completely nerd on this and have asked a lot of questions.

I would say before you buy a barrel decide what you want your gun to do. What kind of optic? What kind of sights? What do you want it to be? Define the rifle you want. Are you or are you not going to shoot match grade ammo?

For me after buying a pretty bad ass barrel and experimenting with it a lot and putting forth that effort to really know and learn... I can say that I don't know everything but my eyes are sort of opened up a lot more than they were.

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 20:29
Are you or are you not going to shoot match grade ammo?

I will even go out on a limb and say that if you are not going to invest in match grade ammo at some point or even for occasional shooting then (unless you are getting a REALLY good deal) you will never see the benefits of a 'match' or even a 'great' (but not match) barrel. If you are going to be shooting the cheapest stuff you can find ammo wise then barrel choice needs to somewhat correspond to what you will be shooting.

But if you get some enjoyment from hitting a dime at 100 yards then your optic needs to able to do that and you will need good ammo as well as good barrel. Take any one of those three out and you're not getting there.

So now, how do you want your AR to be set up? (at least in theory)... think about it....

EDIT: And if you want a really accurate rifle... I haven't even gotten to triggers yet... [:D]

But again, if you are not going to be shooting for groups (by groups I mean like small groups at a distance) then don't go overboard on the barrel.

UWone77
5 March 2015, 20:36
I'm with you there. If you're just going to shoot bulk ball ammo, don't complain your match barrel doesn't shoot sub-MOA.

Most guys like me are looking to shoot minute of man, which is why I still prefer chrome lined barrels.

GOST
5 March 2015, 20:43
I'm with you there. If you're just going to shoot bulk ball ammo, don't complain your match barrel doesn't shoot sub-MOA.

Most guys like me are looking to shoot minute of man, which is why I still prefer chrome lined barrels.
Same here. Using bulk ball ammo in a match barrel defeats the purpose of a match grade barrel. Like I've said before, it's like pumping 85 octane gas into a Ferrari. For me if your gonna use bulk ball ammo get a chrome lined barrel.

Don't listen to me though. I'm assembling a SBR with a match barrel to shoot bulk ball ammo. Now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense.

Txfilmmaker
5 March 2015, 20:52
I'm thinking "minute of man" CHF barrel is where I'm headed. If I can get the funds. If I am having trouble getting enough money for a barrel, you can see I won't have a lot of money for match ammo. The BA Hanson barrel is my current choice if I can't get a CHF BCM or DD. I would eventually like to get a bolt action rifle for the precision stuff. All in good time. :-)

Txfilmmaker
5 March 2015, 20:54
Same here. Using bulk ball ammo in a match barrel defeats the purpose of a match grade barrel. Like I've said before, it's like pumping 85 octane gas into a Ferrari. For me if your gonna use bulk ball ammo get a chrome lined barrel.

Don't listen to me though. I'm assembling a SBR with a match barrel to shoot bulk ball ammo. Now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense.

I need a trust fund... ;-)

alamo5000
5 March 2015, 21:04

OK so realistically with ball ammo @ 100 yards what kind of 'group' would you get with a general CHF chrome lined barrel? Lets just say a Rainier Mountain for example's sake... or if you prefer another one tell us what it is and what you can do with it?

But like I have kind of had my own light bulb moment... if you're just ringing the gongs with cheap ammo then that can easily be done out to 200 yards with most off the shelf AR's. This is part of the reason why I have been having threads and conversations about optics so much. The pairings matter. Cheap ammo? OK fine. Get a barrel to match. Now throw in optics... if you have a 10X scope you will have a nice view of a group that would make a bench guy cry. But throw a red dot on there and you can pick up tons of agility. Those red dots or the holographic sights are not designed to be tack drivers. All these pairings of different things matter.

I wouldn't use the term 'compatability' but rather 'effective pairings'...as I think about designing AR's and getting new ideas that is what is in my brain all the time. The effective pairings.

DutyUse
5 March 2015, 21:30

Bro get a chf barrel. You'll never regret it. I've sold my BA barrel. Wasn't bad... But I like known qualities. You shoulda got that colt barrel UW had..

If your short a lil cash to step up to one pm me and I'll try and help you out

Txfilmmaker
5 March 2015, 21:39
I have heard claims of sub-MOA with CHF barrels. I have also read reports of 1-2" groups. "Effective pairings" sounds right to me, but I will be more interested in what knowledgable WEVO vets say than what I think.

UWone77
5 March 2015, 21:47
Depends on your setup. BUT...

If you're using 4 MOA Ammo like M855, out of a CHF barrel which may yield 1.5-4 MOA, while using a 2 or 4 MOA dot on your optic... 1-2" Groups will be pretty tough.

Like I said, it depends on your equipment, skills, and ammo. Some bulk ammo shoots better than others.

2-3" Groups in my opinion are acceptable for a CHF Barrel.

Txfilmmaker
5 March 2015, 21:49
Bro get a chf barrel. You'll never regret it. I've sold my BA barrel. Wasn't bad... But I like known qualities. You shoulda got that colt barrel UW had..

If your short a lil cash to step up to one pm me and I'll try and help you out

Thanks a lot. That's very kind of you. I'm trying to sell some stuff right now. I saw a guy selling a barely used Centurion Arms barrel in the classified section. I would give that a hard look if the funds were already there. I would definitely prefer a CHF barrel. I'm selling an extra rail I won. I am trying to sell it locally and I just listed it in the WEVO classifieds. I am also selling some guitar related items. I going to put the guitar items on eBay this weekend. (Pedal and pickups.). I really appreciate the offer.

DutyUse
5 March 2015, 21:53
I have heard claims of sub-MOA with CHF barrels. I have also read reports of 1-2" groups. "Effective pairings" sounds right to me, but I will be more interested in what knowledgable WEVO vets say than what I think.

Depends on shooter and ammo. I'm not a bench rest guy so supreme accuracy isn't a concern. I'd say right at 2 is achievable by most guys. However each barrel is an individual and prefers certain loads. I've heard a lot of guys smarter then me on the subject claim Chf is 1.2-1.5 all day if you really spent the time to work up a pet load

Txfilmmaker
6 March 2015, 08:40
Depends on shooter and ammo. I'm not a bench rest guy so supreme accuracy isn't a concern. I'd say right at 2 is achievable by most guys. However each barrel is an individual and prefers certain loads. I've heard a lot of guys smarter then me on the subject claim Chf is 1.2-1.5 all day if you really spent the time to work up a pet load

Personally, I won't be doing much bench shooting. I do like knowing that, under perfect circumstances, my rifle could shoot reasonably tight groups. Everything I've read about RA Mountain series, BCM, DD, and Centurion Arms barrels says that they will get me a reasonably accurate rifle. Those are the barrels that are on my wish list. MOA is just a reference point I've used for understanding accuracy. The match barrels seem to be heavy compared to a 26-27oz CHF barrel. I want don't want a heavy rifle.

UWone77
7 March 2015, 00:40
Personally, I won't be doing much bench shooting. I do like knowing that, under perfect circumstances, my rifle could shoot reasonably tight groups. Everything I've read about RA Mountain series, BCM, DD, and Centurion Arms barrels says that they will get me a reasonably accurate rifle. Those are the barrels that are on my wish list. MOA is just a reference point I've used for understanding accuracy. The match barrels seem to be heavy compared to a 26-27oz CHF barrel. I want don't want a heavy rifle.

I think this is your first AR right? I'd just stick with a quality chrome lined. Seems like that's what you've been wanting all along anyway. Maybe I should have Rainier offer a WEVO Members special on the Mountain Barrels. Like I said before though, I'm sure you'll bet both barrels eventually, so don't fight it. [:D]

DutyUse
7 March 2015, 01:06
I think this is your first AR right? I'd just stick with a quality chrome lined. Seems like that's what you've been wanting all along anyway. Maybe I should have Rainier offer a WEVO Members special on the Mountain Barrels. Like I said before though, I'm sure you'll bet both barrels eventually, so don't fight it. [:D]

Great timing! I need barrels :)

Tx try a 16" Midweight from RA. Think you'll like that profile. That's what I'll be using for the WEVO build. Which reminds me, if I'm buying RA products can they do the gunsmithing work Before shipping? Cerakote in particular? Just a pain shipping receivers back and forth.

DutyUse
7 March 2015, 01:11
Double tap

SINNER
7 March 2015, 04:46
Not sure what is going on at Rock Creek but Mike Rock is no longer with them. Some pretty harsh words have been said about Mike after he "retired" as the company claims.

alamo5000
7 March 2015, 05:46
Maybe I should have Rainier offer a WEVO Members special on the Mountain Barrels. Like I said before though, I'm sure you'll bet both barrels eventually, so don't fight it. [:D]

You are just TRYING to take my money aren't you? Should I just sign my paycheck over to you? Seriously? Should I? SHOULD I? Here ya go buddy... LOL [:D]

Txfilmmaker
7 March 2015, 07:52

Great timing! I need barrels :)

Tx try a 16" Midweight from RA. Think you'll like that profile. That's what I'll be using for the WEVO build. Which reminds me, if I'm buying RA products can they do the gunsmithing work Before shipping? Cerakote in particular? Just a pain shipping receivers back and forth.

I like the idea of buying from RA. One of the first parts I won for this rifle was a Samson rail from Revolr App. I'm pretty sure that's one of their companies. It would be nice to purchase from them. The midweight mountain barrel would be great. As a matter of fact, when I received my stripped lower ( 7 months ago), the FFL dealer recommended that very barrel. 😀

UWone77
7 March 2015, 10:18
I just posted in the deals section, but in case you didn't see it:

Rainier Arms Mountain Barrels (any length, profile) $40 off, Code: STICKMAN2015

alamo5000
7 March 2015, 10:33

What is the difference between the regular mountain the mid weight? I mean practically speaking.

I see on the stats the regular 16" is 1 pound 11.4 oz and the mid weight is 1 pound 9.8 oz. It's a 1.6oz difference in weight.

You know I am a complete nerd so that is the kind of answer I am looking for. [:D]

UWone77
7 March 2015, 11:00
They just have a slimmer profile after the gas block.

Other than some weight savings, no other real benefit.

Txfilmmaker
7 March 2015, 11:42

Thanks for the heads-up! Do you know how long they will do this special? I am pushing hard to sell my extra parts. I lowered the price of my 11" CMR with the larger accessory pack "B" to $175 plus shipping. So hopefully it will move quickly. It's listed locally and in the WEVO classified section.

UWone77
11 March 2015, 12:11
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_3092_zpsrxogsybs.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_3092_zpsrxogsybs.jpg.html)
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_3091_zpsfbs6pgmx.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_3091_zpsfbs6pgmx.jpg.html)
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_3098_zpsiii2i2eu.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_3098_zpsiii2i2eu.jpg.html)

SINNER
11 March 2015, 15:02
Is that for me?

UWone77
11 March 2015, 15:25
Thanks for the heads-up! Do you know how long they will do this special? I am pushing hard to sell my extra parts. I lowered the price of my 11" CMR with the larger accessory pack "B" to $175 plus shipping. So hopefully it will move quickly. It's listed locally and in the WEVO classified section.

Likely to the end of the month.

Is that for me?

You totally need one.

Txfilmmaker
11 March 2015, 15:36
Likely to the end of the month.

You totally need one.

Thanks! Working hard to get the money!

SINNER
11 March 2015, 15:39
You totally need one.

Shipped today...lol I just thought maybe you snapped a quick pic of my barrel before it went out.

UWone77
14 March 2015, 01:16
Shipped today...lol I just thought maybe you snapped a quick pic of my barrel before it went out.

I usually stop in once a week, only long enough to ship out items for T&E and a few other things. [:D]

Looks like they sold out of the first run. They will likely have another run due to the demand. Now to see about getting some range reports!

SINNER
14 March 2015, 02:56
I will post up results when I get it running.

I only have ran some loads for a .308 bolt gun through their Ultra Match .308 barrel but it's already the most accurate semi .308 I own.

Looking forward to trying this one out.

Txfilmmaker
14 March 2015, 07:10
I usually stop in once a week, only long enough to ship out items for T&E and a few other things. [:D]

Looks like they sold out of the first run. They will likely have another run due to the demand. Now to see about getting some range reports!

Hope so.

BoltFace927
23 March 2015, 16:21
Some new profiles arrived!

18" Heavy Contour Target Crown
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-intermediate-18-target-crown-rock-creek-blank

18" Heavy Contour Threaded
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-mid-16-rock-creek-blank

16" Mid Contour w/ Rifle Gas
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-rifle-16-rock-creek-blank

Expect 10" & 7" barrels in the next few weeks.

Coupon code still valid on all Rock Creek barrels.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:27
Some new profiles arrived!

18" Heavy Contour Target Crown
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-intermediate-18-target-crown-rock-creek-blank

18" Heavy Contour Threaded
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-mid-16-rock-creek-blank

16" Mid Contour w/ Rifle Gas
http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-rifle-16-rock-creek-blank

Expect 10" & 7" barrels in the next few weeks.

Coupon code still valid on all Rock Creek barrels.

Does anyone know if these barrels are treated with Rainier's magic potion that they use on the Select Medcon line?

BC98
23 March 2015, 19:08
Just got my 16" barrel today and am going to try to get it installed tonight. This will be replacing an 18" WOA barrel.

BoltFace927
23 March 2015, 20:58
Does anyone know if these barrels are treated with Rainier's magic potion that they use on the Select Medcon line?

No coating on these guys. Just bead blasted finish. These are coming out of the same place as our Ultramatches.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 21:03
No coating on these guys. Just bead blasted finish. These are coming out of the same place as our Ultramatches.

Any reason why they aren't treated with whatever mojo juice you guys use?

I am seriously in love with my Select Medcon... If you guys treated these match barrels with the mojo juice, unless there is something I don't know about why not, this would be in a completely different stratosphere.

Then again I am not a barrel maker or a professional so maybe there is some reason to not do it.

UWone77
23 March 2015, 23:22

What exactly are you asking?

SINNER
24 March 2015, 01:33
What exactly are you asking?

Sounds like he thinks the black oxide is some proprietary coating.

These barrels are extremely well made. I knew the second I unboxed it came from the same place as the Ultra-Match barrels. The chamber is a work of art. Should get some rounds through it in a week or so.

UWone77
24 March 2015, 01:41
Sounds like he thinks the black oxide is some proprietary coating.

These barrels are extremely well made. I knew the second I unboxed it came from the same place as the Ultra-Match barrels. The chamber is a work of art. Should get some rounds through it in a week or so.

I agree, the barrel is very well made. As it should be.

The oxide coating on the select barrel has never impressed me all that much. It looks pitted at times depending on the batch you get.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_3103_zpsryxmb9al.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_3103_zpsryxmb9al.jpg.html)

SINNER
24 March 2015, 07:36
Not a fan of black oxide myself. The real issue with me is there are multiple types and of course not all are good. High heat oil sealed black oxide is very durable and usually consistent looking. Mid heat and no heat wax sealed is about equal to spray paint IMO. I usually coat most of my barrels so the bead blasted just shortens prep for me.

And of course they release different lengths now...LOL Never ends.

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 08:15
No. Nothing to do with the color. Its not a coating. Its Rainier's version of metal treatment. Its kind of like melonite but its not melonite. Its Rainier's version.

Its not nitride either. Its their own brew.

SINNER
24 March 2015, 08:31
Wut?

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 09:08
Read on Rainier's website about the select medcon line. They have a proprietary surface hardening treatment they use on those barrels. I was going to either melonite or nitride mine so I called rainier and they said no because its already been done with Rainier's own system.

I talked to the guy for half an hour about it. Its Rainier's own type of melanite type or sort of treatment to surface harden the barrel and make it last a lot longer than either melanite or nitride when applied to stainless steel.

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 09:29
From the product description on the medcon....

"Manufacturing proprietary processes creates a stress free product that has a hardened surface on the bore. To improve the wear and longevity"

I am wondering if they did that same treatment to these other barrels.

When I called and talked to the one guy at Rainier he said that when they were testing the Select Medcon barrels they tried them with melonite, tried them with nitride, and that they developed a proprietary system that will give about a 20% longer barrel life than either of those two in side by side comparisons.

BoltFace927
2 April 2015, 17:12
For the record just the Black Select barrels go through a salt nitride hot bath process. No magic or snake oil applied. I'm sure guys that run our Select barrels can attest to their accuracy and long life. If you have any doubts buy one and try it out for 90 days!

From the product description on the medcon....

"Manufacturing proprietary processes creates a stress free product that has a hardened surface on the bore. To improve the wear and longevity"

I am wondering if they did that same treatment to these other barrels.

When I called and talked to the one guy at Rainier he said that when they were testing the Select Medcon barrels they tried them with melonite, tried them with nitride, and that they developed a proprietary system that will give about a 20% longer barrel life than either of those two in side by side comparisons.

alamo5000
2 April 2015, 17:39
For the record just the Black Select barrels go through a salt nitride hot bath process. No magic or snake oil applied. I'm sure guys that run our Select barrels can attest to their accuracy and long life. If you have any doubts buy one and try it out for 90 days!

You don't have to sell me on it. I have one. I have been shooting it for quite some time and I really like it. [:D]

I don't think it's only the black ones though... on Rainier's website it has the matte stainless and the black ones both that have it.

From the product descriptions it's something on the select line regardless of color.

Here is a link to the matte stainless:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-5-56mm-medcon-barrel-16-6541

And here is a link to the black one:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-5-56mm-medcon-barrel-16-6540

Whatever the treatment is, it has it on both descriptions for both colors.... not that it matters.

All I know is I like that barrel. I'm one of those guys who is running one[:D]

Ride4frnt
2 April 2015, 17:53
You don't have to sell me on it. I have one. I have been shooting it for quite some time and I really like it. [:D]

I don't think it's only the black ones though... on Rainier's website it has the matte stainless and the black ones both that have it.

From the product descriptions it's something on the select line regardless of color.

Here is a link to the matte stainless:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-5-56mm-medcon-barrel-16-6541

And here is a link to the black one:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-selecttm-5-56mm-medcon-barrel-16-6540

Whatever the treatment is, it has it on both descriptions for both colors.... not that it matters.

All I know is I like that barrel. I'm one of those guys who is running one[:D]

Boltface works for rainier

SINNER
2 April 2015, 18:20

I know. Didn't feel like debating that night. Lol I assumed the bore hardening was from it being work hardened during rifling. No way to harden just the bore other than. The stress relieving is actually done during the blank manufacturing even before boring I have been led to believe. Salt bath nitriding creates an amazingly hard surface. I have a place local that will do small batches if you have the patience to wait for room in a larger product run.

alamo5000
2 April 2015, 18:26
Boltface works for rainier

I'm an FNG so what do I know? [:D]

All I know is I am running a Select Medcon on my rifle now and I am digging it.

alamo5000
2 April 2015, 18:31
I'm an FNG so what do I know? [:D]

All I know is I am running a Select Medcon on my rifle now and I am digging it.

Which brings me back to my original question... whatever RA does to the Select line (I don't know what it is)... I was wondering if they did (or could do) the same thing with these Rock Creek Match Grade barrels...I think that would be a pretty awesome experiment.

SINNER
2 April 2015, 18:37
I am going to tell you what I heard from my Grandfather 100 times a day. Shut up and listen. LOL the black ones are black oxide, and it does almost nothing but a rust preventative and a colorant. NOTHING to change the durability of the barrel. The stainless ones have NO surface treatment. It is just a well made stainless barrel.

aamp84
7 April 2015, 00:00
I am going to tell you what I heard from my Grandfather 100 times a day. Shut up and listen. LOL the black ones are black oxide, and it does almost nothing but a rust preventative and a colorant. NOTHING to change the durability of the barrel. The stainless ones have NO surface treatment. It is just a well made stainless barrel.

I believe this is the description that alamo is referring to, "Manufacturing proprietary processes creates a stress free product that has a hardened surface on the bore. To improve the wear and longevity". That came from the description on the product announcement page by RA on arfcom HERE (https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/590726_Rainier_Arms_Select__5_56MM_MEDCON_Barrel__ _18.html). IIRC, in another thread it was explained as a machining process and not a coating or treatment. I could be wrong, but as I understand it, Black Hole Weaponry manufactures RA's select line of barrels. So I would not think that these Rock Creek barrels undergo the same process as the select line.

ETA: Found the thread HERE (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?4159-Black-Hole-Weaponry-Polygonal-Rifling-Specialists)

aamp84
7 April 2015, 00:16
Double post.

alamo5000
7 April 2015, 05:50
I believe this is the description that alamo is referring to, "Manufacturing proprietary processes creates a stress free product that has a hardened surface on the bore. To improve the wear and longevity". That came from the description on the product announcement page by RA on arfcom HERE (https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/590726_Rainier_Arms_Select__5_56MM_MEDCON_Barrel__ _18.html). IIRC, in another thread it was explained as a machining process and not a coating or treatment. I could be wrong, but as I understand it, Black Hole Weaponry manufactures RA's select line of barrels. So I would not think that these Rock Creek barrels undergo the same process as the select line.

ETA: Found the thread HERE (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?4159-Black-Hole-Weaponry-Polygonal-Rifling-Specialists)

Thank you for the post! Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about.

This is extremely interesting. I learned something new through that.

When I first got my RA Select Medcon barrel everyone (not here) was telling me I would get 5 or 6 thousand rounds out of it because it's stainless steel... but I liked it so much I was going to nitride or melonite it...but I called Rainier Arms and talked to one of their techs and he told me 'no. don't do it. we've already done it'... I put up a small write up about the conversation on a thread somewhere here on WEVO. He would not tell me WHAT the process was but just that it it was there.

When I asked about Melonite and Nitride he told me when they (RA) were evaluating these barrels they nitrided and melonited some of them and it made the barrel life less by about 15 to 20% then he went on telling me in detail about why and so forth. I talked to the guy for about half an hour at least. The guy then told me I could realistically get 12-15,000 rounds out of that barrel before I see any drop off in performance. That was more than twice what I was told by other people and that made me happy. UW also said he has over 9000 rounds through his (maybe more) and it has no issues so far, and still shooting good as day 1.

How they get it done I will probably never know, but I do know I wouldn't hesitate to buy another RA Select.

My post above was saying that if they would do a match grade barrel with that same 'proprietary system' (whatever that means) I would buy one. Then again I don't know how plain SS barrels hold up vs these others.

GOST
7 April 2015, 06:28
There are a lot of different processes to temper steel. Some are as simple as the process used to create the harmon on a samurai's katana.
Most of the time when a barrel mentions that it's been stress relieved it's refering to a cryogenic treatment. Here is a place that tempers barrels cryogenically.

http://www.300below.com/firearms-cryo-barrel/

alamo5000
7 April 2015, 06:32
FWIW with the Rainier Select Medcon and a 1-4x Bushnell scope I was able to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with off the shelf winchester match ammo. I have since upgraded my scope to a Vortex 1-4x and am in the middle of developing a reload but even in that process the other day I was getting 1/2 inch 3 shot groups. I did it about 3 times back to back. I am just experimenting now to see if I can do better... I am not quite there yet but considering I am not using a big long scope I think 1/2 inch is pretty satisfactory. Once I get my load tuned up to just right I will go test it's legs and see if I can do 400 out to 600 yard shots, which I think is definitely doable. I might even go for it and try something longer but we shall see.

I don't know if a true match barrel will do any better, but I am considering (heavily) building a precision upper and putting a 2.5-10x Vortex FFP on it for those days when I have the itch to shoot small groups or whatever.

alamo5000
7 April 2015, 06:33
There are a lot of different processes to temper steel. Some are as simple as the process used to create the harmon on a samurai katana.
Most of the time when a barrel mentions that it's been stress relieved it's refering to a cryogenic treatment. Here is a very place that tempers barrels cryogenically.

http://www.300below.com/firearms-cryo-barrel/

I learned something new (again). Hopefully I keep it up [:D]

GOST
7 April 2015, 06:48
Sounds like you're getting great results from your RA Select Medcon. Probably not a better bang for the buck.

alamo5000
7 April 2015, 06:59
Sounds like you're getting great results from your RA Select Medcon. Probably not a better bang for the buck.
Yeah no kidding! I am loving that thing. Uwone turned me on to it and I can say that I am satisfied.

BC98
8 April 2015, 10:29
With respect to the Rock Creek barrel, I got a chance to put a little under 50 rounds through mine. I see the potential for great accuracy out of this barrel. I shot two 5-shot groups with three different match loads.

FGMM 77gr: 1.05 MOA, 1.15 MOA (.75 MOA without a called flier)
FGMM 69gr: .935 MOA, .951 MOA (.579 MOA without a called flier)
Mk262 clone: .653 MOA, 1.017 MOA (.570 MOA without a called flier)

Most of the variation in the groups were my fault. A better shooter would have easily gotten every group under 1 MOA.