PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint M2, M3, M4 and T-1

Stickman
8 December 2008, 21:08
While there are differences in types of battery, the overall quality of Aimpoints seem to all be around the same from what I can figure with current models. The entire Aimpoint family is extremely durable, and while all electronic optics can fail, the M2, M3, M4 and T-1 are all duty capable.

A recent conversation with a fellow LEO involved questions about the differences between the above Aimpoint models, and the primary differences we spoke about ended up as type of battery, configuration, and size of the optic. For clarity, we were discussing uses in an cop capacity, but it got me to thinking.

What do you see as pros, cons, or reasons to grab one model Aimpoint over the other? I know that price will probably come into this, but what are your thoughts?

Stickman
8 December 2008, 21:10
Aimpoint T-1 in American Defense MFG mount.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_5770%201028%20Stick.jpg

Aimpoint Comp M2 in American Defense MFG mount.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_5476%201028%20Stick.jpg

Aimpoint Comp M4 in Bobro mount.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BoBro/IMG_3913%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Impact
8 December 2008, 21:27
I have 2 M2 and 1 M3..I'm thinking of picking up a T1 b/c of the compact size mainly.
As a civilian, battery life is not an issue for me.

Paulo_Santos
9 December 2008, 16:01
I'd say the best value is the ML3/M3. It has the 50K battery life and cost right around $450/$500.

9 December 2008, 21:08
Battery life is a non-issue for all Aimpoint models, for me personally. It practically lasts forever. But, it doesn't hurt to have a most commonly available type of battery (AA), so, the M4 wins point there. I also find that it's easiest to manipulate the dot intensity knob in the M4, and hardest (relatively) in the Micro T1, even with its big knob. Of course, the Micro T1 wins the space saver award by a landslide. And the built-in windage and elevation adjustment tools on the caps is a plus for the T1. The built-in mount on the T1 looks wimpy, but mine hasn't given me any problems, so I can't really complain much. It just looks wimpy[crazy][BD].
Nothing wrong with the M2/M3. I also have a couple of them, but, if I were looking to buy again, I'd go with the M4, or the T1 (if space is a premium).
I guess what I'm trying to say in all this rambling is, you can't really go wrong with any Aimpoint models brought up in this thread.[:)]

lanceriley
23 January 2009, 08:08
the m4 is waay more expensive. so that left ml2 and ml3 for me. I really wanted the ml3. best value. but in the end. I got the ml2 with larue 150 mount. Im a civilian. I woudn't really need the ml3's 5 year battery. there's no way im leaving civilization for 5years.

Eric
23 January 2009, 16:31
There's nothing wrong with the ML2 and it's probably one of the better vales available. I've seen guys who are "upgrading" to a newer unit selling off their M2/ML2 Aimpoints for cheap. I have a couple in use and haven't found a need to replace them with a newer model.

SERT103
27 January 2009, 09:03
I have had the ML2 and ML3. I sold the ML2 with the rifle it was attached to and now only have the ML3 in a ADM 68C mount. With a price point of only about $50 difference, and the gain in battery life, more rugged and rubber protector, it was an easy decision.

I am really wanting to get the T1 for my new Noveske N4 basic carbine. I want to keep this carbine as light as possible and I think this is the optic for my application.

Army Chief
31 January 2009, 01:03
For those who have an active interest in the M4, it would seem that the original configuration has almost entirely disappeared in favor of the M4s. I take it that both are still in production, but is there any application, or weapon system, or situation that you can think of where the M4 would outshine it's low-battery-mount sibling? Why might anyone opt for anything other than the M4s at this point (assuming you aren't going with a less costly model, or something like the T-1)?

AC

Paulo_Santos
31 January 2009, 16:35
I don't care how long the battery lasts or how good they are, $700+ for a red dot is getting a little rediculous. If they made it $500 for the M4S, it would be a great price.
JMHO.

jeffy
31 January 2009, 18:21
I don't care how long the battery lasts or how good they are, $700+ for a red dot is getting a little rediculous. If they made it $500 for the M4S, it would be a great price.
JMHO.Well, you also have to consider that it does come with a perfectly acceptable mount. LaRue used to sell it with the OE and their mount for the same price but recently upped it to $734. MAP used to be $702. I've seen some places sell them for well under MAP as well.

Eric
31 January 2009, 21:44
JMHO. Agreed. We're not talking about high end magnified optics. Don't get me wrong. I have several Aimpoint RD optics and I'm familiar with the quality, but even with the mount, that's pushing it.

Failure2Stop
3 February 2009, 12:26
If they were free I would only have M4Ss and T1s.

I am a big T1 fan as a compliment to an ACOG, and I am in no rush to get rid of my M3.

As much as I like the M4S, it's pretty hard to opt for a 1X optic at nearly the price of a decent variable or low-power fixed.

I know that there are other issues, such as mounts and battery savings, but that's still a lot of cake.

Uglyduck
3 February 2009, 22:44
Stick, as we know durability and battery life are a non-issue. In my mind that leaves weight, cost, and features. I think the selection of any one Aimpoint over the other is typically cost driven. In other words, are you willing to pay less for a heavier piece of glass (and we're talking ounces) and more for a lighter one? Or one that operates on a battery found anywhere? How often are we talking about purchasing a new battery? Regardless, any Aimpoint that is selected you can count on it being reliable and backed with good service. Beyond that you're paying for the high speed options. Give me an ML2 any day...if it aint broke don't fix it.

elanaiba
15 February 2009, 03:19
If I may... questions:

1) Is the M4 a little shorter than the previous versions?

2) How does the killflash attach to the front of the aimpoints? is the front threaded on the inside?

Army Chief
24 March 2009, 11:19
Just spotted unanswered questions from mid-February (above).

The M4 is 4.7" in length, whereas the earlier M68 CCO (M2) taped out at 5.1".

Further, per the Aimpoint product description, the "front lens opening is threaded for addition of killFlash® anti-reflective device."

AC

Venom
24 March 2009, 11:29
is there a difference in revisiones with the m4s ? some seem to have the batterycompartment on top, some at the bottom?

Army Chief
24 March 2009, 11:31
That is the difference between the M4 (high compartment) and the M4s (low compartment).

AC

Venom
24 March 2009, 11:45
check.thanks

Army Chief
29 March 2009, 10:26
Any chance we can see this thread cleaned up and reborn as an "Aimpoint Family Guide" in the Resources area?

AC

rob_s
29 March 2009, 12:29
Any chance we can see this thread cleaned up and reborn as an "Aimpoint Family Guide" in the Resources area?

AC

Some information you may find useful to that end.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFFHwq_KhEISQ

Army Chief
29 March 2009, 13:09
You've already got all of the heavy lifting done, I see. I'll bet Stick has some phenomenal stock images to draw it all together, too.

Thanks once again for an exceptional lead, Rob. You're a walking "User Review" all by yourself.

AC

lanceriley
11 April 2009, 08:11
i somehow still like how the m2 and m3 are mounted as compared to the m4.

uspopo
11 April 2009, 16:32
I agree, the ML3 looks hot on the Larue Cantilever mount.

juan
7 August 2009, 08:51
the M2 and M3 family has a double battery compartment as an option/accessory. silly question, would it also double the operating hours of the M2? thanks

E98T
12 August 2009, 11:38
the M2 and M3 family has a double battery compartment as an option/accessory. silly question, would it also double the operating hours of the M2? thanks

Its only for storage. IOW you have to remove the weak or dead batt and replace it with the one you had stored.

Creeky73
13 August 2009, 12:38
the M2's and M3's should at least come with a basic mount at their prices. Once you buy a decent mount for especially the M3 series, you are pretty close to what you would pay for the M4, which already comes with a mount.

jp0319
16 August 2009, 00:09
The one for me eneded up being the ML3 it has the extended battery life that comes with ACET over that of the M2/ML2 the M4 is a beast bullet proof and takes commonly available AA batteries but it is big I have used all of them but the Micro and I just like the M3.ML3 best overall. That said I plan on getting a Micro T-1 for my next rifle to try it out.

jp0319
16 August 2009, 00:21
the M2's and M3's should at least come with a basic mount at their prices. Once you buy a decent mount for especially the M3 series, you are pretty close to what you would pay for the M4, which already comes with a mount.

If you consider "close" a $100+ dollar difference. You can get an Aimpoint ML3/ADM mount combo for $520 and $656 for the M4 as it comes with the big knob mount. To me there is no comparison and you can get any mount you like Larue, ADM, Bobro and still pay less for an ML3 than a plane jane M4.

alpha.kilo
16 August 2009, 23:30
When it comes to value, I think the M4 deserves a second look. I just bought an M4s for $572 through Botach. Original price was $672-15%"stimulus" discount. If the included Aimpoint mount works for you, it really is a deal compared to an M3 + a Larue or ADM mount.

federalist22
17 August 2009, 02:52
Is there an in-depth comparison, from a member, between a M2/ML2, M3/ML3, C3, and M4? Outside of LE/Mil, does the M4 make sense from the perspectives for average field use and lifecycle cost?

Over time, if the M4 gets broken or worn out, the entire unit would have to be replaced--mount and sight. With one of the M2/3 variants you can swap out the sight but the mount stays.

If you call OpticsPlanet.com on the phone, or OpticsForYou.com (same companies, but sometimes different prices), you can often get a lower price.

For instance, the Aimpoint CompC3 in 2MOA dot, a good sight and $200 cheaper than a M4:

OpticsForYou $373 - http://www.opticsforyou.com/product-9712-14-1-1.html

OpticsPlanet $404 - http://www.opticsplanet.net/aim-point-compc3-red-dot-sight-11421.html

Again, same company, different websites. If you call OpticsForYou the operator answers with "OpticsPlanet.....".

Paulo_Santos
18 August 2009, 05:41
If you can get a C3 with a mount like the SWFA package, it is the best deal out there and a better value for most people. The M4 is very nice, but not not for $700+ with a QD mount. I love the M4s that I have, but I wouldn't get another one.

toman97e
3 November 2009, 01:22
Some information you may find useful to that end.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFFHwq_KhEISQ

very helpful chart, thanks...helped me decide on a ML2 or ML3...now its just what i can find for a good price

PAGO
30 December 2009, 08:28
i have the m4s with adm socom mount, have not shot it yet? is this set gtg?

JustMatt
31 December 2009, 20:43
The m4s is gtg but i am not familiar with the adm socom mount.

PAGO
5 January 2010, 16:39
anybody vouching for the american defense m4 mount?
yea or nay?

lanceriley
6 January 2010, 02:22
I was very dismayed with the m4. the way it looks i mean. I hope they can somehow put the m4 technology in the ml3 / m3 so that we can still use those Larue mounts... looks hot.

I think the m4 is also heavier.

I have the ML2 in LT150 mount. I wish I bought the ML3 but at that time... funds were limited. but Im not selling my ML2. I mean... it has 1 year battery life! Im no LEO or MIlitary. but I doubt that you'd be in a scenario wherein you'd run out of batteries first rather than ammo.

Stickman
6 January 2010, 11:00
anybody vouching for the american defense m4 mount?
yea or nay?

I'm using one on my duty weapon.

PAGO
7 January 2010, 09:40
I'm using one on my duty weapon.
so i take it, this is gtg gear.
thx

i have read the review on adm, but it wasnt on the m4 mount.
btw thanks for the input.

PAGO
11 January 2010, 12:13
stickman?

Stickman
11 January 2010, 15:44
so i take it, this is gtg gear.
thx

i have read the review on adm, but it wasnt on the m4 mount.
btw thanks for the input.

I've got every almost mount made that I'm aware of for the Comp M4 (except the Aimpoint version), and I'm using the ADM mount for my duty weapon, so yes, I would consider it GTG.

PAGO
12 January 2010, 07:01
I've got every almost mount made that I'm aware of for the Comp M4 (except the Aimpoint version), and I'm using the ADM mount for my duty weapon, so yes, I would consider it GTG.

10-4. thanks