PDA

View Full Version : Article on .22 suppressor cleaning

Former11B
9 March 2015, 15:55
http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

Not satisfied with the "Dip", The author explores a bunch of different readily available options for suppressor core pre treatment and cleaning.

I personally put a very thin coat of dielectric grease on the outside of my Monocore which keeps build up to a minimum, prevents the core from getting stuck inside the tube, and allows me to pretty much just wipe everything off with a paper towel or some Q-tips. That type of grease is available at most auto parts stores. It was recommended to me by the guy who made my 22 suppressor (not a tiny shop fyi) and I've been using that for several years

toolboxluis00200
9 March 2015, 16:46
thanks for the info

Former11B
22 March 2015, 07:11
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3zp3hxyt.jpg

Mmmmm purple drank and baffles...

alamo5000
22 March 2015, 07:26
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3zp3hxyt.jpg

Mmmmm purple drank and baffles...

Damn man, I thought you were trying to be all romantic and stuff.

Former11B
22 March 2015, 07:34
Damn man, I thought you were trying to be all romantic and stuff.

Oh you'll KNOW if there's romance involved if you see duct tape and chloroform. Wait....what

MoxyDave
22 March 2015, 12:39
Meh, "The Dip" is so much easier. If you do it my way you end up with simple battery acid which is not very toxic at all.

Former11B
22 March 2015, 12:58
Meh, "The Dip" is so much easier. If you do it my way you end up with simple battery acid which is not very toxic at all.

Meh, I don't think my aluminum monocore will last long in the Dip.

The way I pretreated my core previously I could simply wipe off any build up. If this makes it even easier it'll still be way easier, and safer, than the dip.

alamo5000
22 March 2015, 13:55
I don't own a suppressor (yet) but why not spray it off with non chlorinated disc brake cleaner? (The green can from the auto parts store) That stuff takes off just about anything. I used it for heavy, deep cleaning of guns all the the time.

SwissyJim
22 March 2015, 15:42
I may try this, just to try it - even the tumble of the parts in my SS media. But my question would be, if this brake fluid silicon treatment is so awesome, but have not more people reported it, tried it on BCG's, and so on?

alamo5000
22 March 2015, 15:50
EDIT: Sorry, I re-read the post and thought it was aimed at me. My mistake.

MoxyDave
22 March 2015, 17:03
Haha yeah sorry, aluminum is no bueno in the dip. Not trying to be a jackass, it's just my nature [:)]

Former11B
22 March 2015, 19:12
I may try this, just to try it - even the tumble of the parts in my SS media. But my question would be, if this brake fluid silicon treatment is so awesome, but have not more people reported it, tried it on BCG's, and so on?

Maybe it's one of those things that people just never tried. Low viscosity synthetic motor oil makes a great lubricant but gun people tend to be snobs and buy the latest snake oil that equates to hundreds of dollars per quart.