PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a BCG

Nevergiveupthefight
9 March 2015, 17:12
I absolutely love shooting my Daniel Defence, but dread cleaning the BCG! I put about 500 rounds through it yesterday, and my nickel boron BCG was pretty filthy. I was brainstorming today, and made a tube out of 1 1/4" PVC pipe capped at one end and threaded with a cap on the other end to let the BCG soak in on the way home from the range to loosen up the carbon build up. I went to Home Depot to pickup some mineral spirits to use as the soaking solution, but the guy in the paint department told me They don't sale it any more due to some EPA nonsense. So, can you guys please give me some ideas for a good soaking solution?

alamo5000
9 March 2015, 17:36
Don't soak it in anything. Get Seal 1 (or Froglube) and treat it per the instructions. It will still get dirty but you will be able to wipe it off with a rag and be done with it. You're making your life way too hard.

FortTom
9 March 2015, 17:54
For now you can get a can of Gun Scrubber and spray it on, it will break up the carbon and you should be able to get it off with very little effort. If you're not familiar with it, you can get it at Wal Mart, or just about any gun store that carries cleaning supplies. A good runner up is the cheap cans of spray brake cleaner you can get also at Wal Mart, or any of the big chain auto parts stores.

My question to you is this. What are you shooting in it? For a NiB bolt to get that built up, it makes me wonder if you got a bad one. I have NiB bolts in every AR I own, and that's one of the benefits of them. I spend very little time cleaning them. I usually spray them with a little gun scrubber and can wipe them off, clean, with a piece of T Shirt. Any "scraping" that needs to be done, are usually just "bits" of carbon specks that I can knock off with my thumb nail. That's 90% of the point of having NiB in the first place. That and less lube needed and they run cooler with less friction. What manufacturer's bolt do you have in it? Something doesn't sound right. I got one from a big name manufacturer, and the NiB was cooking off of the bolt tail after the first outing with it. Come to find out, they had gotten a batch with bad NiB coating.

FT

DutyUse
9 March 2015, 18:30
Maybe I'm just weird but I like cleaning my guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
9 March 2015, 18:39

Is it considered 'cleaning' or just 'caressing' or 'fondling'? [:D]

I like cleaning my guns as well.

DutyUse
9 March 2015, 18:48
Is it considered 'cleaning' or just 'caressing' or 'fondling'? [:D]

I like cleaning my guns as well.

Depends which BCG it is ;)

One of my old colt BCGs more like "briskly scrubbing" or "honey where's the sandpaper?"

toolboxluis00200
9 March 2015, 19:30
what is this word (cleaning) never herd of it

Nevergiveupthefight
9 March 2015, 19:31
Thanks for the replies guys! FortTom, the nickel boron BCG was made for RifleGear by Spikes I believe. Maybe I'm being to obsessed with getting the damn thing to shine! It functions fine, never had one hang up with over a few thousand rounds down range.

UWone77
9 March 2015, 20:02
Thanks for the replies guys! FortTom, the nickel boron BCG was made for RifleGear by Spikes I believe. Maybe I'm being to obsessed with getting the damn thing to shine! It functions fine, never had one hang up with over a few thousand rounds down range.

If you want to get the thing to shine again, that might be an exercise in futility. The more you shoot with the NiB Carrier, the more it will discolor. I have a couple that are almost black now. It'll never be as nice and shiny as the day you got it. If you care about such things, you may want to go with a Chrome plated Carrier next time.

For the most part, I don't clean my NiB BCG's that often. I just wipe them down, throw a light layer of lube on and continue.

Nevergiveupthefight
9 March 2015, 20:38
Yeah, my nephew says I'm overly obsessed cleaning my AR! He claims he never spent half the time cleaning his M4 in Afghanistan. I didn't realize that the nickel boron would turn black with use.

Naytwan
9 March 2015, 20:41
FrogLube Solvent is amazing.

SwissyJim
9 March 2015, 20:45
I agree with UWone...my NiB BCG is clean, and still as smooth and slick as ever - but more black than shiny silver than it was new. I use Fireclean now, a wipe down and minimal re-application is all I do.

Nevergiveupthefight
9 March 2015, 21:03
The cam pin had a lot of carbon build up. The bronze scrapper on my Leatherman MUT is really effective of getting the carbon off.

JGifford
9 March 2015, 21:27
FIREClean works great for me. Even after hundreds of rounds suppressed, just a paper towel fixes things, and a thumb-nail on the tail of the bolt.

DutyUse
9 March 2015, 21:40
FIREClean works great for me. Even after hundreds of rounds suppressed, just a paper towel fixes things, and a thumb-nail on the tail of the bolt.

I'm also a fan.. Just so damn expensive. It is effective though.

Nevergiveupthefight
9 March 2015, 21:46
I was just looking on Amazon, and M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner received really good reviews too.

Naytwan
9 March 2015, 22:02
I was just looking on Amazon, and M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner received really good reviews too.

I used Mpro7 for years but revently switched to FrogLube Solvent. I use froglube or RandCLP for lubrication. The solvent is pretty amazing. Spray on, let it sit, brush and whip with a microfiber cloth and done.

JGifford
10 March 2015, 04:51
I'm also a fan.. Just so damn expensive. It is effective though.

Yep. It costs me, like, half a magazine of ammo...

rob_s
10 March 2015, 07:47
I chased all the latest and greatest unicorn-jizz cleaners/coatings/lubes/etc. for a couple of years. It's all snake-oil BS.

I use
http://www.slip2000.com/
because it smells halfway decent. yep, smell. As good a criteria as any "tier one operator" salesman on the internet.

On the rare occasions I do clean the BCG, I start by tearing it down and spraying everything with this
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_725.php

Then I dunk the bolt itself in this for a bit (typically while I clean the chamber), along with the extractor (sometimes I take the extractor off, usually I just leave it attached to the bolt)
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_carbon_killer.php

when it comes out of there I spray it with the 725 again

Then I either hit the parts with the air hose or run it under the water in the sink (yet, water, yes, in the sink, yes hotels love me). Finally, I lube it up with this
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl30.php

and I use this for lube touchups
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl.php

Nevergiveupthefight
10 March 2015, 18:09
I as well use Slip2000, I like the fact that it's nontoxic, or at least that's the claim.

GOST
10 March 2015, 21:04
Slip2000 user here also. Been using it for a while and it's been great, it's given me no reason to switch.

nCarnage
11 March 2015, 08:05

Love cleaning mine. Just wish my garage was insulated and heated so I can take them there for a cleaning.

GOST
11 March 2015, 09:37

Love cleaning mine. Just wish my garage was insulated and heated so I can take them there for a cleaning.

I like cleaning also, I'm a little obsessive compulsive with it though.

toolboxluis00200
11 March 2015, 09:55
i have no exprerians whit NiB bolts but from what i have bin told is just wipe it down whit a cloth and add some oil of your choose

me i just have regular BCG i use Remington oil to clean and i use Spike tactical oil to keep it lube
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/honey1of1_zps9b043950.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/honey1of1_zps9b043950.jpg.html)

Former11B
11 March 2015, 10:06
Even shooting suppressed, which is about the dirtiest thing you can do, my NiB BCGs wipe clean after being lubed with FrogLube. I'd like to try FireClean no one carries it locally.

It has also been mentioned, but a heavily shot NiB carrier will tarnish/discolor. I have a chrome BCG also and it retains the original matte grey finish but doesn't clean quite as well as NiB, but better than phosphate.

If I have to use a solvent, I use Hoppes Semi Auto and apply with qtips

FortTom
11 March 2015, 16:06

If you want to get the thing to shine again, that might be an exercise in futility. The more you shoot with the NiB Carrier, the more it will discolor. I have a couple that are almost black now. It'll never be as nice and shiny as the day you got it. If you care about such things, you may want to go with a Chrome plated Carrier next time.

For the most part, I don't clean my NiB BCG's that often. I just wipe them down, throw a light layer of lube on and continue.

Yeah, my nephew says I'm overly obsessed cleaning my AR! He claims he never spent half the time cleaning his M4 in Afghanistan. I didn't realize that the nickel boron would turn black with use.

Nickel is the "other ingredient" in Nickel Chrome, a cousin to NiB. Have you ever seen a set of chrome pipes on a motorcycle, especially near the heads where all the heat is, turn every color from near black to blue to purple to yellow? That's what Nickel is going to do in your gun also. The carrier will stay pretty much like it came, but not the bolt tail. Just as long as it's not "cooking" off, or flaking or micro looking bubbles occur, it's perfectly normal.

When I read your post, I thought you mean you were trying to clean carbon off of your bolt. Unless the NiB is bad from the application, turning colors is normal and does not alter the effectiveness of it. As hard as it is, I would not suggest scraping NiB with anything other than some type of cleaner, and possibly your thumbnail.

Lastly, unless you have the BCU apart for cleaning, the "black" isn't going to show. Since it's a chemical process of the nickel heating, I know of no one or thing that can reverse it. Lastly, since it's cleaned, and inserted back into the carrier, who's going to care what color it is?[:)]

JGifford
11 March 2015, 20:55
I chased all the latest and greatest unicorn-jizz cleaners/coatings/lubes/etc. for a couple of years. It's all snake-oil BS.

I use
http://www.slip2000.com/
because it smells halfway decent. yep, smell. As good a criteria as any "tier one operator" salesman on the internet.

On the rare occasions I do clean the BCG, I start by tearing it down and spraying everything with this
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_725.php

Then I dunk the bolt itself in this for a bit (typically while I clean the chamber), along with the extractor (sometimes I take the extractor off, usually I just leave it attached to the bolt)
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_carbon_killer.php

when it comes out of there I spray it with the 725 again

Then I either hit the parts with the air hose or run it under the water in the sink (yet, water, yes, in the sink, yes hotels love me). Finally, I lube it up with this
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl30.php

and I use this for lube touchups
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl.php

I used to have a solvent or a lube for every darn item I owned. When I moved, I literally threw ALL of them out, except my FIREClean. Honestly, because it's all I've needed in the last year. Trashed were:

Boshield T9
MPro7 LPX
Froglube
SEAL1
G96
Frog Lube Paste
(I kept my Weapon Shield as it was a gift from George Fennel, personally, and their EP grease is amazing for applications that require grease).
Militec MC2500
MC3000
Other stuff.

JGifford
11 March 2015, 20:58

Huh? Dude. I like cleaning my weapon, as well. Typically though, I use bio-safe lubes and clean in front of the computer, so that while one hand is cleaning, I can

nevermind.

Seriously though, it sounds like you use some really caustic stuff, if your reason is smell/fumes.

nCarnage
12 March 2015, 05:32
Huh? Dude. I like cleaning my weapon, as well. Typically though, I use bio-safe lubes and clean in front of the computer, so that while one hand is cleaning, I can

nevermind.

Seriously though, it sounds like you use some really caustic stuff, if your reason is smell/fumes.

Nah. I use froglube. Just like being in my own little world and not hear the wife complain about smells, carbon and crap. Plus I have music playing, posters and man stuff. 😋

rob_s
12 March 2015, 06:21
I don't clean shit. Hate it. Almost as much as I hate reloading. And generally anything having to do with guns that isn't shooting them.

I have so many parts that I've bought over the years and the very idea that using them means I have to install them has meant they go un-installed and eventually get sold off.

I used to like/care-about those things, now I hate all of it. I even stage my gear ahead of time so I can just grab this bag, that can, and this gun and go to the range.

I swear, I think some people are the polar opposite, and like everything about guns EXCEPT for shooting them.

Dstrbdmedic167
12 March 2015, 06:29
^^ You need a hug... you're an angry little fellow aren't ya...

Thompson
12 March 2015, 06:44
Plus I have music playing, posters and man stuff. 😋
Sounds like your man cave lol. And really, she doesn't like that pleasant minty Froglube aroma wafting through the house? [:D]

^^ You need a hug... you're an angry little fellow aren't ya...
I think he needs an internet hug [BD]

GOST
12 March 2015, 07:13
Rob_S is entitled to his opinion, doesn't make them right or wrong. I probably don't get to shoot as much as Rob_S. I've only been through between 700 to 800 rounds so far this year, mostly M855, M193 and .45 ACP. I also hate reloading and stage my stuff before going out to shoot. But I do love to clean, that's the way Dad taught me and it's stuck with me.

greenlineaz
12 March 2015, 15:54
So far I have put 450 rounds through my AR. Im running a Rainier Arms BCG I bought on sale last year (http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-bcg-phosphate). Before I shoot it, I lube it with either SLIP2k EWL or M-Pro 7 CLP. I run a bead on the top half of the actual bolt where it touches the bolt carrier, a drop or two down where the cam pin sits inside the bolt, and spread a thin coat onto the BCG itself when I feel like it. I hate cleaning AR's.

UWone77
12 March 2015, 16:06
Honestly, much like rob, I don't clean shit either. Other than my duty weapons, most of my other guns rarely get more than a wipe down and lube.

FortTom
12 March 2015, 17:02
Honestly, much like rob, I don't clean shit either. Other than my duty weapons, most of my other guns rarely get more than a wipe down and lube.
WTF? Drop and give me 50 shit wad.......

Former11B
12 March 2015, 17:48
I don't clean shit. Hate it. Almost as much as I hate reloading. And generally anything having to do with guns that isn't shooting them.

I have so many parts that I've bought over the years and the very idea that using them means I have to install them has meant they go un-installed and eventually get sold off.

I used to like/care-about those things, now I hate all of it. I even stage my gear ahead of time so I can just grab this bag, that can, and this gun and go to the range.

I swear, I think some people are the polar opposite, and like everything about guns EXCEPT for shooting them.

I can't always shoot so I use cleaning/reloading time as my "gun time"...it's also cathartic. Relaxing.

I was one of the military people who didn't hate the repetion of weapons maintenance (as long as leave/passes didn't depend on it) and I still go over my weapons with a fine tooth comb

nCarnage
12 March 2015, 18:04

Shit send it to me. I'll clean it. Actually thought of a service for cleaning my co-workers duty weapons since most of them don't shoot it until qualification time.

nCarnage
15 March 2015, 06:58
Sounds like your man cave lol. And really, she doesn't like that pleasant minty Froglube aroma wafting through the house? [:D]

I think he needs an internet hug [BD]

Sorry for delay response. No she hates the smell of froglube for some reason.

Nevergiveupthefight
16 March 2015, 10:44
Does use a roller cam pin in their BCG? My buddy has them in all of his AR's and swears by them!
http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=17&controller=product

JGifford
16 March 2015, 11:52
Does use a roller cam pin in their BCG? My buddy has them in all of his AR's and swears by them!
http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=17&controller=product

It's a superfluous added failure point.

UWone77
16 March 2015, 13:28
It's a superfluous added failure point.

100% Agree. Plus this is really for Piston Systems. You can install it on a DI Carrier, but you'll have to remove the gas key first. Unless you know what you're doing, I don't recommend that.

officerX
16 March 2015, 14:56
I use the C.A.T. M-4 Tool to clean my BCG.

www.catoutdoors.com

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

Dstrbdmedic167
16 March 2015, 15:19
^ I have one too. Me likey!!

Eric
16 March 2015, 15:40
http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=17&controller=product Straying off topic a bit, but yes, I have one. I was asked to try one out, and did a short review (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2049-POF-Roller-Cam-Pin-.223-Upgrade-Kit) a few years ago. Cliff Notes: It works on a DI gun. No apparent benefit. Requires modified gas key installation.

Nevergiveupthefight
16 March 2015, 21:47
Thank for the input about the cam pin, I'll pass on picking one up!

Army203
10 April 2015, 10:34
I am a big fan of Carbon Killer made by Slip 2000. Stuff is amazing! Not that into frog lube. Other products work as well without the Navy Seal hype. Depending on how hard you run your AR, most will run for a while in normal range conditions dirty.

nCarnage
22 April 2015, 07:31
What I did yesterday. Enjoyed every moment. Music playing, beer on my work bench and some dirty rifles.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/22/80e7b0e4b7169105bbf6796b80cc6846.jpg