PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Back Up Sights

Stickman
10 December 2008, 06:23
It looks like the Magpul Back Up Sights are getting pretty near completion. Richard commented the below pictures are "sneak peeks of the final production units that are going through testing". I would guess that the production MBUS will be released right around SHOT.

I've had a chance to play around with these, and spend some time with them. They are a solid little unit, with no wobble or play in the ones I've used. The lock feature is well done, and there is nothing cheap feeling about them in the up or down positions.

I think the below is a nicely setup Magpul Original Equipment Carbine, but thats just me.

http://www.magpul.com/pics/mbus1.jpg

http://www.magpul.com/pics/mbus2.jpg

Uglyduck
10 December 2008, 11:06
They look great. Like many, I've been waiting for a while to snatch a pair. Glad to see they're coming around soon. Should be a great compliment to the MOE line. Now rural LE's can upgrade without spending a fortune.

UDT
10 December 2008, 13:07
Thanks, for the update. They look nice.

Mantis
10 December 2008, 15:04
Interesting. Thanks for the preview.

Floyd91
12 December 2008, 15:07
Those are looking great. Curious how they attach though. I'm currently building a 9mm ar and I think those would be a perfect match for that rifle. Already have moe stock & grip. [adore]

tac40
14 December 2008, 10:56
Hey Stick

Can I use them next[:D]

montgomerygentryFan
18 December 2008, 13:01
Nice looking BUIS, since they're part of the MOE line I'm sure they'll be competitive price-wise to Troy's BUIS.

Stickman
18 December 2008, 13:08
Nice looking BUIS, since they're part of the MOE line I'm sure they'll be competitive price-wise to Troy's BUIS.

It shouldn't even be close. I think you will be able to purchase a complete set of the MBUS plus have it shipped to your house for less than what a Troy BUIS costs, and still have $20-30 left over.

At roughly $100-110 a set, I think these are going to find homes very quickly.

TehLlama
21 December 2008, 21:08
Even at $150 per set, the first six months' production of MBUS would be spoken for the moment they leave the door.

Under the $125 price point, these will will even displace sights on my airsofting stuff.

docsherm
6 March 2009, 07:00
Do anyone have any idea when these are going to be available?

Stickman
6 March 2009, 10:48
They are currently shipping for OEM applications, they should be available for regular sales pretty soon.

sodak
8 March 2009, 15:39
Hey Stick, I had a few questions hopefully you can answer. Can the sight be mounted in the rearmost rail slot and not be in the way of the charging handle? Also, how tall is it in the folded position? I'd like to get one of these sights, but I need to be sure that they will fit my gun/optic setup.

Paulo_Santos
8 March 2009, 17:41
Roughly how much would a front and rear BUIS cost?

Stickman
8 March 2009, 17:55
Hey Stick, I had a few questions hopefully you can answer. Can the sight be mounted in the rearmost rail slot and not be in the way of the charging handle? Also, how tall is it in the folded position? I'd like to get one of these sights, but I need to be sure that they will fit my gun/optic setup.

What optic are you trying to fit them under? They work well under ACOGs, and most others I've tried.

Yes, they fit on the last slot, I think every picture from Magpul you've seen is with the MBUS shown that way.

sodak
9 March 2009, 07:50
Well, I've got a strange optic setup. It's an aimpoint 9000sc mounted in burris ultra high xtr rings(cheap, decently solid setup that gives 1/3 cowitness). The aimpoint sits back far enough that only the last rail slot doesn't have the aimpoint above it. Underneath the aimpoint(3 free slots) I have about .80 inches of clearance if I turn the flip cover so it opens to the side. It would have about .45 inches of clearnace if I leave the flip cover's hinge at the bottom so it opens downward. I hope that made sense.

5thprofession47
12 March 2009, 09:45
Roughly how much would a front and rear BUIS cost?

I recall reading that they would cost roughly $100.00 total, for a set. IIRC, it was $60 for the rear sight and $40 for the front.

Army Chief
12 March 2009, 09:47
The issue with Magpul products is rarely one of price; availability, on the other hand, can be a challenge. I've every confidence that these will be an instant best-seller ... and deservedly so, from what we've seen so far.

AC

Stickman
12 March 2009, 10:44
Production is ramped up, and once OEM sales are leveled, they will start shipping to dealers.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/0O2P1793-A-800-stick.jpg

Ryo
12 March 2009, 11:21
Has anyone giving out the height clearance for the BUPS (Back Up Polymer Sight ;) ) for scopes? I think I read somewhere it was something like 0.6X.

The one you have Stickman.. does it use a metal or polymer for the front sight, and is it replaceable?

Stickman
12 March 2009, 11:38
The image above is the production version. The front sight uses a standard M16 FSP, I guess you could replace it if you really wanted to.

federalist22
23 March 2009, 20:19
I got an e-mail from Magpul Friday, 20 MAR 2009, on the availability of MBUS and they say MBUS will be shipping very soon - they hope to have them at dealers and on their website in the next two weeks--according to a Magpul employee. I need a set in foliage green...................

Titleist
23 March 2009, 23:03
For those who "pre-ordered" a bunch went out on friday. I'm hoping to have mine on wednesday.

Ryo
23 March 2009, 23:27
I was jealous about that from the other forum now you have to make me jealous here too. ;)

Let me know how you like them. I have some on order too.

mrwilson
24 March 2009, 04:54
airsoftgi.com lists them as in stock in three colors. I placed an order, we'll see if it's true.

Venom
24 March 2009, 05:27
I recently ordered 3 PTS Magpul Rangerplates for Pmags (PTS mags that is)
and they do fit on RS Pmags, and the do have a hardened floorplate; the only difference ( on first inspection) is that the rubbermaterial is much more flexible and bendable than the RS Pmag Rangerplates.
I'll keep on testing them, but as of now, they seem to be a cheap alternative to the RS Rangerplates.

:)

Stickman
24 March 2009, 06:15
Lets not get sidetracked with airsoft components, they are not made of the same material, and with real ones in the process of being released, there is no point.

I can understand the anticipation, and I'm interested in seeing if you guys like them as much as I do. There is a review going on for these, but they will be selling to the public before its done and posted.

scumhunter
25 March 2009, 04:00
My finger is tired of clicking. Is there any place where I can pre-order a set?

Stickman
25 March 2009, 09:00
Magpul is currently shipping, and there are individuals who have already received them. I'm not sure if they are shipping to everyone, or if it was simply a limited release. I have heard that dealers should start getting shipments soon (which may mean already).

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8351%201028%20stick.jpg

federalist22
25 March 2009, 14:49
Magpul is currently shipping, and there are individuals who have already received them. I'm not sure if they are shipping to everyone, or if it was simply a limited release. I have heard that dealers should start getting shipments soon (which may mean already).

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8351%201028%20stick.jpg
Stickman,

you are killing me slowly with news like this.............they can't get these out fast enough, can they?

Stickman
25 March 2009, 15:51
I think that they are moving very nicely for S&W on their complete weapons, and I agree that no matter how fast Magpul produces an item, it will never be fast enough. For a manufacturer, thats got to be both a good and bad feeling.

federalist22
25 March 2009, 16:40
I recently bought an M&P15ORC (my project rifle) and I was outfitting it in Magpul foliage green (MOE Stock, MIAD Grip, MOE Handguard, and PMAG). I just need a set of MBUS in foliage to top it off. I did a number of things to this rifle already, but that is the part that is most elusive. If you know of a way I can get a hold of anything sooner please feel free to pass it along.

I will tell you one thing I am not a big fan of: Magpul airsoft accessories. I find too many advertisements on airgun stuff by Magpul in my searches--annoying.

TehLlama
25 March 2009, 19:23
Well, as somebody who is involved with both communities, I think it's awesome that MagPul markets those items - but completely agree that it's unhelpful to be seeing more advertisements for PTS items instead of the normal lines.

This will be similar to the MIADs and such - extreme demand prior to the release, and a lag of a few months before supply can catch up.

I know I go against the grain on this one, but I do wish that MagPul was more willing to sell them at an elevated price for the first few months, and THEN lower it to their intended MSRP (and maybe charge MSRP for LE/Mil/DOD-C the whole time), just so that the stay in stock a bit longer.

scumhunter
25 March 2009, 19:31
Magpul is currently shipping, and there are individuals who have already received them. I'm not sure if they are shipping to everyone, or if it was simply a limited release. ]

Since Magpul dosen't have them on thier website I would assume it would have to be a limited release......... unless you know a little insider trick that you are willing to share.;)

mrwilson
25 March 2009, 19:39
What does PTS stand for?

federalist22
25 March 2009, 19:52
What does PTS stand for?
Professional Training and Simulation (PTS) - http://www.magpul-pts.com/

federalist22
25 March 2009, 20:10
Look at these guys....way over priced and I thought they were supposed to be sold as a set, or so I heard.

- MBUS Rear - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125721740

- MBUS Front - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125722394

- Set - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=130290017594

Does anyone know what the differences between the PTS and MBUS sights are?

Stickman
25 March 2009, 20:21
They come in individual boxes, the sights sell for roughly $60, and $40 IIRC.

Army Chief
25 March 2009, 22:59
Does anyone know what the differences between the PTS and MBUS sights are?

As Stick pointed out earlier, perhaps the most significant difference is that the PTS sights are not made of the same material.

AC

scumhunter
26 March 2009, 18:41
Look at these guys....way over priced and I thought they were supposed to be sold as a set, or so I heard.

Thanks for the links. You were right, way over priced, $160 & $140 each! I will keep waiting.

federalist22
26 March 2009, 19:45
Thanks for the links. You were right, way over priced, $160 & $140 each! I will keep waiting.
Here's another one, but only the rear sight this time.

- http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125865537

How bad would it suck to only win one or the other in a gunbroker auction, but not both? Check my earlier post on the Gunbroker listings. Right now the same guy is the high bidder on a front and rear and the bids combined total $325---for that, buy Troy "set" or something else.

TehLlama
27 March 2009, 09:46
Right now the same guy is the high bidder on a front and rear and the bids combined total $325---for that, buy Troy "set" or something else.

Agreed - as awesome as the MBUS are, I'd still take a set of TROY's if the price as the same - the strongpoint of the MBUS is the price, and that they will be offered as OEM equipment.

federalist22
27 March 2009, 15:31
That poor bidder on gunbroker is about to pay that outrageous price for both pieces in about 30 minutes or less......hahahaha.

jeffy
27 March 2009, 16:13
Wow the guy paid $325 for them. He must really like Magpul.[crazy]

federalist22
27 March 2009, 17:38
holy crap..........I can't paid that much! I love Magpul, and I am absolutely getting an MBUS set in foliage green as soon as they are available at the MSRP, but I would never pay what that guy paid for the set he bought.

federalist22
27 March 2009, 17:44
This new guy is on gunbroker trying to sell a Magpul PTS sight set for $40 more ($140) than the Asian Airsoft companies are on eBay ($99) and passing them off as a clone to the MBUS, which they are not a clone of a Magpul product, they're just not the MBUS we are looking for and talking about in this forum. I guess we could refer to the PTS model as the "toy sights" since that is where you typically find them for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125922394

TehLlama
27 March 2009, 20:12
I'll admit - if I didn't already have the TROY's on my range-only SPR, I'd be rolling PTS MBUS. Some airsoft stuff does outlast the crappy firearm stuff for no intelligible reason.

It appears that the PTS is a product of subcontracting to the orient to make models without proprietary polymer materials (makes sense in my head, and companies over there would churn out knockoffs otherwise), so with judicious loctite, the 'toy' sights wouldn't be all that different functionally.

federalist22
27 March 2009, 20:22
I'll admit - if I didn't already have the TROY's on my range-only SPR, I'd be rolling PTS MBUS. Some airsoft stuff does outlast the crappy firearm stuff for no intelligible reason.

It appears that the PTS is a product of subcontracting to the orient to make models without proprietary polymer materials (makes sense in my head, and companies over there would churn out knockoffs otherwise), so with judicious loctite, the 'toy' sights wouldn't be all that different functionally.
maybe not, but I'll hold out for the real McCoy. I like the way the texture looks on the MBUS versus the PTS. The PTS "set" can be found on eBay for about $100 and in black, FDE, FG, and OD.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=magpul+sight&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=mbus&_osacat=0

5thprofession47
23 April 2009, 07:19
A friend of mine walked into a local gun store and made an impulse buy. He got a S&W M&P15 with Magpul MOE furniture for $1200.00. I was stoked to see it because it had a rear MBUS on it. The MBUS is very nice! I am really looking forward to owning a set for my new AR.

federalist22
23 April 2009, 13:41
A friend of mine walked into a local gun store and made an impulse buy. He got a S&W M&P15 with Magpul MOE furniture for $1200.00. I was stoked to see it because it had a rear MBUS on it. The MBUS is very nice! I am really looking forward to owning a set for my new AR.
Magpul told me 4 weeks ago that it would be 2 weeks and they would start shipping and a week more for sales on their website----still nothing...............that is all I need to finish my latest AR.

Policetacteam
23 April 2009, 17:45
federalist22,

It looks like Bravo Company and DSG Arms have already had them in stock and sold out! At least that's what their web sites state! Be strong brother!

federalist22
23 April 2009, 18:11
I really need a set in foliage green

scumhunter
24 April 2009, 17:02
I really need a set in foliage green

I'm looking for the same thing. If you stumble across any let me know, I will do the same.

federalist22
24 April 2009, 18:48
I'm looking for the same thing. If you stumble across any let me know, I will do the same.
rgr that scumhunter--foliage green MBUS front/rear

federalist22
24 April 2009, 18:57
Sawtooth Tactical posted that they will have MBUS in BLACK and FDE next week (27 APR). http://www.sawtac.com/

I am looking for a FOLIAGE GREEN MBUS set

5thprofession47
25 April 2009, 05:01
I too am waiting for a FOLIAGE GREEN MBUS set.

federalist22
25 April 2009, 06:43
I check everyday and will post immediately when I find them in FG color. I may buy at least 2 sets, although I only need 1, but I might contemplate another rifle outfitted in Magpul FG

Paulo_Santos
25 April 2009, 08:31
I'm new to the Magpul BUIS thing. Is there a difference in the MBUS and the PTS MBUS?

Also, is the Rear BUIS the same plane aperature or the A2 style?

federalist22
25 April 2009, 10:35
I'm new to the Magpul BUIS thing. Is there a difference in the MBUS and the PTS MBUS?

Also, is the Rear BUIS the same plane aperature or the A2 style?
The only real difference between the MBUS and the PTS version (without having had my hands on any because I would not buy the PTS) is that one is probably PTS and the other is not.......I guess. The PTS stuff is for training systems, like a simunition sort of thing, but people here speculate they would work fine.

I have seen some knock-offs on eBay and GunBroker with windage adjustment knobs on both sides of the rear sight (typically they are marked PTS, but lately I have seen some sold as real MBUS sans PTS markings).

The rear BUIS should be on the same standard plane if you have a fixed front sight--all should line up if you have a standard flat top rail upper with no risers.

Again, I can't be solid on this as I have not gotten any yet.

mrwilson
26 April 2009, 19:40
I've had both the standard and pts versions in my hands. Other than the markings I couldn't tell the difference. Same goes for their MOE stock. I'd like to see someone run a torture test and see how well the PTS holds up to the standard stuff. Seems to me the only reason they say it's for simulations is to get around ITAR. Although, since they are the same price, you should just buy the standard stuff.

GriffonSec
27 April 2009, 12:01
I just received my set from Bravo Co today. Overall I'm relatively impressed, especially considering the price point. I'll admit, this is the first 'flat top' rifle I've owned, all others that I've shot have been A2 fixed handles, but I have had the opportunity to handle the Troy and MI BUIS. For being a polymer/plastic piece, there's a decent amount of heft to them still, I expected them to be a bit lighter than they are. So far, I can only see two minor issues with them to me. First, and I think it's been mentioned already, the front sight post seems awkwardly high. We'll see how it is after re-zeroing the rifle. Second, I mounted my rear in the next to the last slot which seemed to be in the same line as the old factory removeable handle, and the windage knob does interfere a bit with the operation of the charging handle. Of course, I still have a milspec handle/latch, and maybe a larger tactical style latch will alleviate some of it, or just move the thing one more slot forward, but I don't know if there would be a detrimental effect to that. For those that have these already, did anyone else notice this?

Again, I'm damn pleased with them.

Paulo_Santos
27 April 2009, 20:26
It appears that the MBUS is the regular ones and the PTS MBUS is the Airsoft version. I still don't know if they have the same plane aperatures or the A2 style.

Ryo
27 April 2009, 23:42
I placed my rear MBUS against my Troy BUIS and the Magpul looked about 1mm lower than the Troy, for both small hole and large hole. I would imagine it would be the same for the front.. couldn't get the front one on due to the rail butts against the A2 front sight.

Hope that helps.

federalist22
11 May 2009, 17:44
On Magpul's website - one step closer to ordering MBUS direct from the manufacturer. Magpul now has Rifle Sights as a menu option with MBUS listed on their site, but the MBUS section is listed as "no products in this category". Soon.......

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=147

Globemaster
14 May 2009, 16:43
[:)]

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/globemaster_oly/DSCN8908.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/globemaster_oly/DSCN8915.jpg

Policetacteam
14 May 2009, 21:29
Alright..I'm just going to come out and say it, "Damn those things are sexy!" [:D]

Ryo
14 May 2009, 23:39
I don't know if anyone mentioned, but the cool thing about these sights is that you can push down from the top to release, or from the sides. Thought that was cool.

Don't thing they would replace Troy or some other high end BUIS for high level of abuse, but they work great for backups if your running optics like I am. I have FDE and Black running on 2 of my setups.

103m 95g
15 May 2009, 11:10
I like em'
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN1767.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN1766.jpg

federalist22
15 May 2009, 15:56
As I sit in a state a jealousy, waiting for Magpul to release them in Foliage Green color, I admire your setup.