PDA

View Full Version : AAR: DUAL USE CARBINE, F2S CONSULTING, FEB 20-22TH (2015) NEW SMYRNA, FL

voodoo_man
14 March 2015, 15:31
http://i.imgur.com/AnvKNBF.jpg
Summary
The last Dual Use Carbine class Jack taught I had missed and I did not want to miss another one. Having taken Jack's Practical Carbine Class and his "High Stress" class I knew this class was not one to miss. I have also never taken a class that is exclusively devoted to a 7.62 semi-auto platform. Having a US Optics SR8c that I needed to use and review I figured this would be an excellent class to use it in. I had spoken with Jack several times about this class and he was kind enough to lend me one of his SR25's so I could participate. The class was just as much about precision as it was about fundamental application and practical implementation. My goal for the class to familiarize myself with the 7.62 semi-auto platform while gaining positive feedback through instruction and pushing myself into a system of shooting I am inexperienced in.

link to full review - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2015/03/aar-dual-use-carbine-f2s-consulting-feb.html

gatordev
19 March 2015, 13:11
From your pics on your blog, this looks like it's at the Volusia Gun and Hunt Club, correct? How was the distance range? Does it have it's own steel or was it set up by the class?

I ask because I was going to try and go down there in a couple of weeks to exercise some distance guns (assuming they allow day-shooters on the 1K range) and was curious if it was set up well.

Also amusing to see some of the usual suspects in your class that are also at the local costume party/carbine competition...except for Neil, who is much more of a shooter and not a mall ninja.

voodoo_man
19 March 2015, 13:28
From your pics on your blog, this looks like it's at the Volusia Gun and Hunt Club, correct? How was the distance range? Does it have it's own steel or was it set up by the class?

I ask because I was going to try and go down there in a couple of weeks to exercise some distance guns (assuming they allow day-shooters on the 1K range) and was curious if it was set up well.

Also amusing to see some of the usual suspects in your class that are also at the local costume party/carbine competition...except for Neil, who is much more of a shooter and not a mall ninja.

Yep that's where it was. I believe the steel at 150, 550 (same steel used for 1000) was there? But I could be wrong.

I would see if you could link up with Steve, he's apparently some big name at that club and could probably give you all the answers you are looking for.

Good club though, really happy with the setup except for the fact we had to change ranges a few times because of scheduling issues. And the range nazi's are seriously brutal.

Other than that it's good to go.

BTW - Jack will probably have enough class eventually, highly recommended!!!

gatordev
19 March 2015, 14:00
Yep that's where it was. I believe the steel at 150, 550 (same steel used for 1000) was there? But I could be wrong.

I would see if you could link up with Steve, he's apparently some big name at that club and could probably give you all the answers you are looking for.

Good club though, really happy with the setup except for the fact we had to change ranges a few times because of scheduling issues. And the range nazi's are seriously brutal.

Thanks. I'll probably give them a call in the next couple of days to see what's allowed for day shooters. It's too far to become a member, but a once in a while trip down there could be worth it if they open the 1K range to day shooters. As for the range Nazis... I looked on their website again today and saw that "Class 3 items are allowed, with proper documentation." Great...thanks for enforcing a rule that doesn't exist making me carry a copy of my stamps. I have them anyway, assuming I take the right bag, but seriously, what if I forgot one of the stamps, so I put my suppressor away and just shoot without it...is that now somehow okay, even though we both know there's a C3 item in my possession, with out paperwork (!!!!!!!!!...the horror)?. Almost ridiculous as the actual law.

voodoo_man
19 March 2015, 16:34
Thanks. I'll probably give them a call in the next couple of days to see what's allowed for day shooters. It's too far to become a member, but a once in a while trip down there could be worth it if they open the 1K range to day shooters. As for the range Nazis... I looked on their website again today and saw that "Class 3 items are allowed, with proper documentation." Great...thanks for enforcing a rule that doesn't exist making me carry a copy of my stamps. I have them anyway, assuming I take the right bag, but seriously, what if I forgot one of the stamps, so I put my suppressor away and just shoot without it...is that now somehow okay, even though we both know there's a C3 item in my possession, with out paperwork (!!!!!!!!!...the horror)?. Almost ridiculous as the actual law.

They put that in there (like every club does) for legal purposes, some fudd or whatnot would come up with a home made whatever and think its OK because there is no rule written he can't - ya know?

I like the range and if Jack ever decides to have an "advanced" class I'll hit that up.

gatordev
19 March 2015, 18:44
They put that in there (like every club does) for legal purposes...

I hear you. I'm just spoiled with where I regularly shoot. Lots of LE and if anyone actually "carded" someone for their NFA item, the owner would probably tell them to stop. As long as you're safe and don't send rounds over a berm (directly or indirectly), it's a very flexible place.

Thanks again for the info.