PDA

View Full Version : Trust... Help me out here folks...

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:20
I have been pondering over it for a while now and I have two options. I can buy still straight up or I can do the trust. Specifically I keep nagging myself about suppressors so it's either option A or option B.

I called the Sheriff's office here today and he's willing to sign off on anything I want. So if I just have the items titled to me directly ....or if that new ruling comes down... however you slice it I have the ins.

The Sheriff's office said they usually just run a standard background check and then talk to you for 5 minutes and sign off provided everything is good, which of course it is. So new ruling or not (regarding trusts) I have it locked up... if I pony up the money which of course I am trying to be judicious with of course.

I am leaning towards doing it the trust route simply because all the paperwork is faster. From my understanding you can efile with a trust but an individual cannot.

I have already contacted a lawyer in Houston that I found on the internet who specializes in these things. I was just going to to talk to him and see what he can tell me and maybe answer some of my specific questions...but I am curious to know what you paid to set your trust up?

If I decide to pull the trigger on it and set the trust up first (let's not kid ourselves I am going to do it) about how much did you pay to get yours in place?

It sounds pretty simple. I have seen pricing around $250 but I am not sure if I can get them done cheaper or not. I kind of want to have someone who is familiar with Texas laws to do it, but from all I have read it seems pretty simple. The state doesn't give a rats ass from what it sounds like. But I have exactly zero experience with it.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:25
Honestly I am probably going to have to go incrementally into this thing. Maybe this coming up month set up the trust provided it doesn't give me a ton of hassles or something....

Then over the next few months save my nickels and dimes while sorting out which suppressor I really want... THEN once I decide to buy I go do my thing and pay $200 bucks and do all the bullshit.

UWone77
23 March 2015, 16:27
I'd do the trust, simply because of the succession planning aspect... and of course, no fingerprints.

Dstrbdmedic167
23 March 2015, 16:30
Go get one from coyote rifle works for $95 and be done with it. SEVERAL people have used their services here and I used a similar service for mine . I'm 6 stamps in and no worries.

A trust is always a better route IMO. It gives you the ability to delegate your NFA items and also any other weapons you put on it. Nothing says you can't have all your firearms on it!

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:37
I'd do the trust, simply because of the succession planning aspect... and of course, no fingerprints.

I have been finger printed so many times. I have gone through some of the most stringent background checks known to man. Way more than any of this stuff. (Not kidding).

I am leaning heavily towards the trust. From what I understand there is supposedly some pending ruling about making the trustees get finger printed and all that crap. Either way I am not worried about my ability to get it set up.

Simply put I am wondering how much I can expect to pay for a trust to be set up? Just an average cost....or if there are some services that I don't know about that could potentially do them a lot cheaper.

I know Stickman gave away some trusts but I forgot who did them.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:40
Go get one from coyote rifle works for $95 and be done with it. SEVERAL people have used their services here and I used a similar service for mine . I'm 6 stamps in and no worries.

A trust is always a better route IMO. It gives you the ability to delegate your NFA items and also any other weapons you put on it. Nothing says you can't have all your firearms on it!

$95 bucks? That's it?!

I can eat $95 worth of food on a date night.

About how long did it take to set up?

Do you have to claim that stuff on your taxes or anything? Or is just a seperate legal entity in and of itself? If I want to add someone on to the trust (say my dad) or whoever I assume I can have either just me or a several people if I want to.

UWone77
23 March 2015, 16:40
I have been finger printed so many times. I have gone through some of the most stringent background checks known to man. Way more than any of this stuff. (Not kidding).

I am leaning heavily towards the trust. From what I understand there is supposedly some pending ruling about making the trustees get finger printed and all that crap. Either way I am not worried about my ability to get it set up.

Simply put I am wondering how much I can expect to pay for a trust to be set up? Just an average cost....or if there are some services that I don't know about that could potentially do them a lot cheaper.

I know Stickman gave away some trusts but I forgot who did them.

There is zero benefit of individual over a trust IMHO.

Coyote Rifleworks gave away the trusts.

Dstrbdmedic167
23 March 2015, 16:43
$95 bucks? That's it?!

I can eat $95 worth of food on a date night.

About how long did it take to set up?

Do you have to claim that stuff on your taxes or anything? Or is just a seperate legal entity in and of itself? If I want to add someone on to the trust (say my dad) or whoever I assume I can have either just me or a several people if I want to.

Yep Thats it! Ive had two people locally use them and deepening on the day they got theirs back either the same day or next ready to get notarized. They now have a few stamps thanks to me lol.

You can have yourself or as many as you want.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:43
What in the hell! Coyote Rifleworks is right down the road from me. I am looking at their contact number and that is right down the road.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:45
Yep Thats it! Ive had two people locally use them and deepening on the day they got theirs back either the same day or next ready to get notarized. They now have a few stamps thanks to me lol.

You can have yourself or as many as you want.

As many stamps or as many trusts? [:D]

I am limited only by the size of my wallet.

Dang it man. I am nervous to go into all this stuff, but this sounds pretty easy.

Dstrbdmedic167
23 March 2015, 16:47
As many stamps or as many trusts? [:D]

I am limited only by the size of my wallet.

Dang it man. I am nervous to go into all this stuff, but this sounds pretty easy.

haha my error. You can have as many people as you want.

I know you step back and always evaluate everything. This isn't one of those times. Head on down to CRW and get yourself a trust and start suppressor shopping while you wait for your form 1 to come back lol

Ride4frnt
23 March 2015, 16:49
Coyote and done. I got a coyote trust. You don't even need to call them or anything. Get on their site and fill out the form, you'll have a trust in less than 24 hours. I had mine in less than an hour. First stamp approved no problem.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:53
Coyote and done. I got a coyote trust. You don't even need to call them or anything. Get on their site and fill out the form, you'll have a trust in less than 24 hours. I had mine in less than an hour. First stamp approved no problem.

You're killing me bro... you're killing me.

I over analyze everything. I get nervous but I need to figure out who all I want on there and then go from there. For $95 bucks... that's nothing.

My excuses for not buying a suppressor are being eliminated pretty quickly.

I feel like I am getting laid for the first time. Sort of. Well maybe not. But kind of. LOL

UWone77
23 March 2015, 16:55
You over analyze?

Say it aint so....

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 16:59
You over analyze?

Say it aint so....

It's a known weakness... but it can be a strength too at times LOL...

Like if you want some complex crap figured out... give it to me...

You guys crack me up.

GaSwamper
23 March 2015, 17:05
Mine's with Coyote, easy peazy. They even called after I submitted all my info to make sure everything was right and talk for a min. One thing that is a possible expense is getting it notarized, my bank offers free notary public for members so it was zero cost for me but private Notary Publics will charge most of the time.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 17:10
Mine's with Coyote, easy peazy. They even called after I submitted all my info to make sure everything was right and talk for a min. One thing that is a possible expense is getting it notarized, my bank offers free notary public for members so it was zero cost for me but private Notary Publics will charge most of the time.

I sit next to a notary at work. And I have two others in the same building. Notary will be free and very easy.

SH#T! You guys are supposed to make this sound all complicated and crap. [:D]

I just need to find a person to be my secondary blah blah blah... and see if they want to do it or not. I need to discuss with them first. I don't want to put their name down without permission.

Ride4frnt
23 March 2015, 17:13
I sit next to a notary at work. And I have two others in the same building. Notary will be free and very easy.

SH#T! You guys are supposed to make this sound all complicated and crap. [:D]

I just need to find a person to be my secondary blah blah blah... and see if they want to do it or not. I need to discuss with them first. I don't want to put their name down without permission.

I would use a family member. From what I hear, using a friend can become an issue down the road.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 17:23
I would use a family member. From what I hear, using a friend can become an issue down the road.

Any family member right? I am going to ask my dad... but as far as I can tell all I need is just myself and him as a secondary in case something happens to me. Is this correct?

If I want to add people or take people off the trust later I could do that too I assume?

For me I would be very hesitant to add a 'friend'...I basically have two options... myself, my dad, and my sister if he says no.

If I have this trust though will it ever create legal or other tax issues for me or the other person?

JHoward
23 March 2015, 17:38
I noticed no one said use your wife....

DutyUse
23 March 2015, 17:46

I did mine through Coyote rifle works. They were awesome threw the whole process, and I highly recommend them. A Great price was just icing on the cake :)

What pushed me over on a trust was succession of ownership and shorter wait times. Goodluck on your NFA journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 17:48
Ok guys.... I just talked to my dad and he's totally cool with being on the trust. I think he actually thinks is a pretty cool idea.

That said what are the responsibilities for him (and me) in this deal?

So lets say I get gored to death by a rabid bull and there is this suppressor laying around. What would my dad's responsibility then be?

I am asking because he was asking. I want to give him direct answers.

Dstrbdmedic167
23 March 2015, 17:58
Ok guys.... I just talked to my dad and he's totally cool with being on the trust. I think he actually thinks is a pretty cool idea.

That said what are the responsibilities for him (and me) in this deal?

So lets say I get gored to death by a rabid bull and there is this suppressor laying around. What would my dad's responsibility then be?

I am asking because he was asking. I want to give him direct answers.

He takes ownership as long as it he is the beneficiary. Same as any trust. He can be in possession of the items on the trust without you being present as long as he is a trustee.

JHoward
23 March 2015, 18:01
So, what about divorces? I know that's a terrible thing to ask, but is there a PRIMARY owner? I would obviously want my wife to be able to possess the NFA things whenever.

UWone77
23 March 2015, 18:09
So, what about divorces? I know that's a terrible thing to ask, but is there a PRIMARY owner? I would obviously want my wife to be able to possess the NFA things whenever.

Divorces are usually ugly and expensive for a reason. [BD]

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 18:10
He takes ownership as long as it he is the beneficiary. Same as any trust. He can be in possession of the items on the trust without you being present as long as he is a trustee.

So I need to make him a beneficiary AND a trustee. So if I go over and spend a year in Nairobi (in the works) then there will be no issues with the suppressor being around or I can stash it at his place without problem.

See, stuff like this is good to know.

Dstrbdmedic167
23 March 2015, 18:12
So I need to make him a beneficiary AND a trustee. So if I go over and spend a year in Nairobi (in the works) then there will be no issues with the suppressor being around or I can stash it at his place without problem.

See, stuff like this is good to know.

Yes he will be a trustee and there is also a beneficiary page at the end. Once you fill out the form and get the paperwork you'll see everything. Give them a buzz or shoot them an email.

Ride4frnt
23 March 2015, 18:28
My brother is trustee and beneficiary. My father is also a trustee. They can possess the items at any time without me being present. That's the good thing about being able to add and remove people

WHSmithIV
23 March 2015, 19:44
I'd do a trust in a heartbeat if I had the cash to do so.

toolboxluis00200
23 March 2015, 20:09
funny how nobody can afford a Trust but they have $1000 rifles [BD]

UWone77
23 March 2015, 20:34

Well, he won his last rifle, so give him some slack.

alamo5000
23 March 2015, 20:52

Somebody else might have won a rifle but it wasn't me. I won a component and I am still grateful for it... but in my case I am living within my means which means I have to keep my hobbies in check. I am earning less than 25% of what my previous pay was. But I have scrimped and saved and I am 100% debt free. I don't owe a nickel to nobody. I fought like hell and disciplined myself to be debt free and I am going to do everything I can to stay that way. I don't have a student loan. Paid. Car. Paid. Everything paid for. I have a buffer zone set and I won't break it. I am keeping money in reserve no matter what. That means sometimes I have to say no, or do things over a period of time.

Could I go out and buy a suppressor? Yup. Anything on the market. I could pay cash. I could buy a lot of things... but I don't operate like that. I don't want to, and I won't, put myself into a bad financial situation because of a lack of self control.

I am extremely frustrated with how the economy is but I am doing better than most people so I have no room to complain. But for me I am living within my means which means I have to budget. It's just as simple as that. If I have to save a few months to stick with my plan, then so be it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing fine, but I am frustrated with things so it's a sore spot for me.

I know you probably didn't mean anything by it, but for people who are struggling that stuff isn't that funny.

toolboxluis00200
23 March 2015, 21:43
Somebody else might have won a rifle but it wasn't me. I won a component and I am still grateful for it... but in my case I am living within my means which means I have to keep my hobbies in check. I am earning less than 25% of what my previous pay was. But I have scrimped and saved and I am 100% debt free. I don't owe a nickel to nobody. I fought like hell and disciplined myself to be debt free and I am going to do everything I can to stay that way. I don't have a student loan. Paid. Car. Paid. Everything paid for. I have a buffer zone set and I won't break it. I am keeping money in reserve no matter what. That means sometimes I have to say no, or do things over a period of time.

Could I go out and buy a suppressor? Yup. Anything on the market. I could pay cash. I could buy a lot of things... but I don't operate like that. I don't want to, and I won't, put myself into a bad financial situation because of a lack of self control.

I am extremely frustrated with how the economy is but I am doing better than most people so I have no room to complain. But for me I am living within my means which means I have to budget. It's just as simple as that. If I have to save a few months to stick with my plan, then so be it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing fine, but I am frustrated with things so it's a sore spot for me.

I know you probably didn't mean anything by it, but for people who are struggling that stuff isn't that funny.

i meant it as a joke i was not trying to offend you or any body by it :(

WHSmithIV
24 March 2015, 01:55
Well, he won his last rifle, so give him some slack.

I also just borrowed $250 from one of my customers and gave him my shotgun and my .303 Lee Enfield to hold as collateral. Times are tough here right now. Business has been abominably slow. That rifle I won is the only one I have now and it's not even here. It's off at BDL for it's complimentary custom camo job.... The WEVO pistol isn't finished yet either and I only have to buy 2 parts for it to function.

Former11B
24 March 2015, 03:55
I went the individual route and keep doing it because when I first got into NFA the only trust options were expensive ($200+) in-person lawyer type deals, and were unknown quantities. Nobody I knew had dealt with the local shops and places like Coyote werent prevalent and/or competitively priced. So, I keep registering them individually so I don't have them in different places.

Computalotapus
24 March 2015, 04:02
Wife did our trust through Coyote. Was pretty easy to do and she snagged it up during the Christmas special they had going.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 04:54
i meant it as a joke i was not trying to offend you or any body by it :(

Don't sweat it brother. I know you didn't mean anything by it.

SINNER
24 March 2015, 05:00
I also have a Coyote trust. I had my lawyer notarize it one day when he was reviewing a contract for me and commented how well done it was. He was shocked at how inexpensive it was also. I did some as an individual before and I assure I will never do that again.

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 07:14
OK OK....you guys are twisting my arm LOL....

I think I'm going to set up the trust after this next payday....after that its all downhill from there. :)

Vel
24 March 2015, 10:04
I just went through the process of setting up a trust this morning and it was fairly simple. If anyone's concerned about divorce or anything like that as long as you're the originator (Settlor in legal terms) you have control over the entirety of the trust.

toolboxluis00200
24 March 2015, 10:07

I think I'm going to set up the trust after this next payday....after that its all downhill from there. :)

dont look at it as a a downhill or money pit look at it as an investment to better things

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 10:21
dont look at it as a a downhill or money pit look at it as an investment to better things

I can see my next 8 or 9 paychecks are already accounted for LOL

Computalotapus
24 March 2015, 10:22

I know I have been absent for a while but when did Luis learn to spell?

Dstrbdmedic167
24 March 2015, 10:30

It's an anomaly like you here lately.

toolboxluis00200
24 March 2015, 10:43
I can see my next 8 or 9 paychecks are already accounted for LOL
SBR or Suppressors ?

It's an anomaly like you here lately.
glitch in the Matrix

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 11:28
Glitch in the matrix....LOL Indeed!!

I am most likely going to get a 5.56 suppressor first. After that who knows.

And I have no idea what kind or brand or type of suppressor that I want. Just one more thing for me to over analyze LOL

I am taking suggestions though.

WHSmithIV
24 March 2015, 11:31

Yep, it could be all downhill - all the way to the poor house eating Ramen noodles everyday especially when you start buying expensive items like old Maxim's [:D]

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 11:39
Yep, it could be all downhill - all the way to the poor house eating Ramen noodles everyday especially when you start buying expensive items like old Maxim's [:D]

I have champagne tastes. I have to be careful. LOL

JHoward
24 March 2015, 16:09
I never realized it was so affordable. I'm going to do a trust soon and start gathering parts.

toolboxluis00200
24 March 2015, 16:24

And I have no idea what kind or brand or type of suppressor that I want. Just one more thing for me to over analyze LOL

never buy Gemtech

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 16:27
never buy Gemtech

You can't say that and not tell me why. [:D]

toolboxluis00200
24 March 2015, 16:39
You can't say that and not tell me why. [:D]

https://youtu.be/XT5Eb6G9k5E

Former11B
24 March 2015, 19:33

Griffin Armament RECCE 5. Very light and durable as well as very good sound attenuation. The newest generation (I believe early '14+) metered in the low 130s.

To me, it is like a combination of QD and Direct Thread. Offers the ease of host swapping as the RECCE 5 mounts to a flash hider, brake, or compensator style muzzle device. This is beneficial because unlike direct thread, which leaves exposed threads upon removal, the R5 allows you to choose the muzzle device which suits your needs. Also the mounts have an incorporated taper that act as a gas seal preventing fouling from exiting towards the shooter and fouling the mount which can lock the suppressor on after firing when it cools.

You won't have to worry about latches or QD mechanisms failing because they aren't there (weight savings). The previously mentioned taper mount aids in lock up (my QD 762 can/mount has a latch and taper and without latching it down, between the threads and taper it still gets so snug you know it's not going to back off, the latch is just for backup.

This can is very light for a non Ti unit or one not classified as a Mini or K. It is 14oz, and the lower weight will assist you the shooter when it comes to keeping overall rifle weight down as well as POA/POI shift.

I am not affiliated with Griffin in any way except the RECCE 5 is my next 5.56 can of choice

Stone
24 March 2015, 19:56
My brother is trustee and beneficiary. My father is also a trustee. They can possess the items at any time without me being present. That's the good thing about being able to add and remove people

True but I want to add the fact that they also should have a copy of the trust and stamped form with them as well. Just in case they are stopped and questioned by the Gestapo.

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 20:13
Griffin Armament RECCE 5. Very light and durable as well as very good sound attenuation. The newest generation (I believe early '14+) metered in the low 130s.

To me, it is like a combination of QD and Direct Thread. Offers the ease of host swapping as the RECCE 5 mounts to a flash hider, brake, or compensator style muzzle device. This is beneficial because unlike direct thread, which leaves exposed threads upon removal, the R5 allows you to choose the muzzle device which suits your needs. Also the mounts have an incorporated taper that act as a gas seal preventing fouling from exiting towards the shooter and fouling the mount which can lock the suppressor on after firing when it cools.

You won't have to worry about latches or QD mechanisms failing because they aren't there (weight savings). The previously mentioned taper mount aids in lock up (my QD 762 can/mount has a latch and taper and without latching it down, between the threads and taper it still gets so snug you know it's not going to back off, the latch is just for backup.

This can is very light for a non Ti unit or one not classified as a Mini or K. It is 14oz, and the lower weight will assist you the shooter when it comes to keeping overall rifle weight down as well as POA/POI shift.

I am not affiliated with Griffin in any way except the RECCE 5 is my next 5.56 can of choice

I have been reading on them and about an hour before you posted that REECE 5 kind of caught my eye for further consideration.

One thing I am looking at is mounts. The more solid the mount the better.

What do you think about the AAC M4-2000 ? Is that ratchet mounting thing any good?

I have no idea which suppressor I want, but I know for sure that the mount has to be rock solid and the suppression needs to be really good. If I am going to spend the money on a suppressor I don't want to half way do it to save a buck. I would rather spend extra to get more, but then again I don't want to get ripped off on price that offers no better performance. I would also like to buy from an established company that offers a a decent warranty.

I honestly don't know anything about suppressors so any little bit I can learn will help. I am kind of leery of things with too many working parts. But I am also kind of thinking that a tapered mount (so far) would be more solid.

On the mount though a direct thread on is probably the least appealing. I don't want to constantly remove things from the actual barrel. If you do that enough you will eventually cross thread or mess something up. At least I think so.

I am not sure if I need some titanium stuff or not either. Weight is not really an issue for me. I am way more about straight up performance. If it's a little bigger and heavier I don't care.

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 20:18
True but I want to add the fact that they also should have a copy of the trust and stamped form with them as well. Just in case they are stopped and questioned by the Gestapo.

No one will be carrying or using the suppressor but me. My dad won't be using it at all. If I go overseas or some other place I will stash the suppressor at his house for safe keeping.

alamo5000
24 March 2015, 20:30
Also am I going to need to alter the gas system in my rifle? Like get an adjustable gas block or will it not really matter?

If I buy that Reece 5 for example, what kind of lifetime can I expect out of it? As you know I don't do full auto any real heavy shooting for the most part.

I am sure I will come up with more questions as time goes on.

Thompson
24 March 2015, 20:51
On the mount though a direct thread on is probably the least appealing. I don't want to constantly remove things from the actual barrel. If you do that enough you will eventually cross thread or mess something up. At least I think so.
I like to over analyze things too (better that than to under analyze [:D]). If I remember correctly, Tim (MAC) did a video a while back on Everything About Suppressors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzMLvrF6u4). I believe at one point he mentioned that one of the down sides to direct thread is, that over the course of shooting, the can starts to back out; in essence after "x" shots, one would have to retighten the can.

GOST
25 March 2015, 02:07
Also am I going to need to alter the gas system in my rifle? Like get an adjustable gas block or will it not really matter?

If I buy that Reece 5 for example, what kind of lifetime can I expect out of it? As you know I don't do full auto any real heavy shooting for the most part.

I am sure I will come up with more questions as time goes on.

An adjustable gas block is highly recommended.

alamo5000
25 March 2015, 06:44
I like to over analyze things too (better that than to under analyze.

I turn that stuff into an art form :)

None of you guys will be laughing when I make a billion dollars in the stock market! LOL

In former times I was a financial analyst for a big company in an international office and believe you me that took a great deal of pouring over detailed information. I was pretty much doing forensic analysis of a bunch of stuff trying to figure out who was screwing us over and/or breaking the law.

Getting into how things work is part of the DNA LOL.

alamo5000
25 March 2015, 06:49
An adjustable gas block is highly recommended.

I will cross that bridge when I get to it. But thanks for the information. When my suppressor goes to suppressor jail I will get an adjustable block while I am waiting.

Former11B
25 March 2015, 16:41
I like to over analyze things too (better that than to under analyze [:D]). If I remember correctly, Tim (MAC) did a video a while back on Everything About Suppressors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzMLvrF6u4). I believe at one point he mentioned that one of the down sides to direct thread is, that over the course of shooting, the can starts to back out; in essence after "x" shots, one would have to retighten the can.

Maybe if you don't tighten it enough to begin with...

I have a direct thread 5.56 can. For my own piece of mind, in case any heating/cooling would affect anything, I put a couple rotations of teflon tape on my threads (really popular modification) and I've done mag dumps and hard shooting with zero issues. Alamo, aside from barrel cleaning, I leave the can on the rifle. Very rarely I'll put it on a different rifle but it stays put. The risk of messing something up is very very low. Direct thread cans are usually lighter (most simple, no extra parts, etc) and more precise (given the OE barrel threads are good to go).

I will say I am not a fan of AAC rifle cans. I feel like the market (SilencerCo, Griffin, SF, etc) are innovating and improving their cans, but AAC gets bought by freedom group and puts out the same 51T mount with heavier and cheaper versions of existing models. I can't wrap my head around it. But that's all I'll say publicly. If anyone wants a conversation about it please PM me.

I will echo the adjustable gas block sentiment, although my option isn't good for guys with matching uppers/lowers: Innovative Arms WAR receiver. It has been amazing. I can do a write up if anyone wants to read it.

People do things like heavier buffers/altered carrier masses, etc, but tune the gas and it's not necessary.

UWone77
25 March 2015, 17:20
I have no problems with AAC cans. The 51T Mount to me, has been a proven design vs. some of the problems reported out there. For the most part, a 32-34db reduction all sounds the same to me.

Having said that, you're right, if you want cutting edge, AAC is not the place to go. As you said Silencerco, Griffin are continuously improving their designs. I will say, after 3 Surefire cans, those are some of the most overrated cans I've ever owned. Anyhow, as long as AAC continues to sell me cans at cut throat prices, they're good enough for me.

Former11B
25 March 2015, 17:27
I agree 100% on SF. Way overpriced (buying the brand name) and some ugly welds and borrowed guts. There are also some smarmy politics involved somewhere along the chain. Ops, Inc in California sold cans to the military for years for the Mk12 Mod 0&1 platforms and all of a sudden they are being forced out of production due to CA laws. They reopened in Nevada as Allen Engineering but SF is still behind enemy lines somehow.

More power to them but I don't see how companies like Parallax Tactical can afford to stay

gatordev
25 March 2015, 18:24
More power to them but I don't see how companies like Parallax Tactical can afford to stay

Everytime I visited Parallax Tactical, they were always busy, even on an early weekday afternoon. And that was before they opened up their workshop next door. Aside from the unfathomable business expenses when having to deal with CA, I imagine they afford to stay because they're one of the go-to AR and pistol shops in San Diego, and there's only about 3 or 4 to choose from.

alamo5000
25 March 2015, 18:49
I had an unexpected thing come up today (I had to work late with no notice) so I couldn't call, but when I got home I sent an email to the Silencer Shop. I inquired specifically about the Recce 5. Based on their advertised price, sales tax, tax stamp etc etc I figured I could get it in hand for under $900 all inclusive. Once I know REALLY what I am getting into all this for I can do the trust and be done with it.

I asked them several questions in my email so hopefully I didn't leave anything out when I calculated the price. If I buy online from another state I still have to go through a class III FFL and that will add between $75 to $100 bucks. If I buy at the Silencer Shop I pay state sales tax which would equate to a little over $50 bucks. If they don't charge me any additional FFL transfer fees it's cheaper to buy from them. They also sound very professional on their website. Plus I don't like dealing with assholes and as I called around on my break I got a few of them on the phone as I asked about class 3 transfers and stuff.

They are about 2 hours away or so and in Texas terms that's pretty close. I regularly drive an hour each way to go out to eat.

If my calculations are correct, including the trust, I would have a suppressor for under $1000 all inclusive of everything. I am pretty sure they will help me fill out the forms and stuff but I will talk to them directly to see what they say and if they pass my asshole test. So far though they seem to be passing with flying colors so I don't think it will be an issue.

Now as for the suppressor its self I don't know jack schitt about what I am doing. It's something I don't have any experience with so I am taking all advice seriously. If that's the one I decide I want I could have it in hand as soon as they get done with the form 4 or whatever other government bullshit they have to fill out. At some point I just have to make a little leap of faith.

I don't know how long a suppressor lasts so I am hoping to get some feed back there. I am not a heavy shooter and I normally don't engage in tons of rapid fire and all that. Yes I do, but not all the time. I doubt very seriously I will put the suppressor under any real strain on a regular basis.

On the Recce 5 I kind of like the idea of the tapered mount. To me it seems pretty solid, but then again what do I know. I probably won't be taking it on and off all the time but if I want to shoot unsuppressed for whatever reason they have a pretty cool compensator that I think is compatable as well. Plus they give you some kind of mount with the purchase so that's pretty cool.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/Taper-Mount-Flash-Comp-p/tmfc.htm

If I need to spend an extra $200 to not get a piece of junk I would rather do that. I am not THAT price sensitive. I am looking at it as more of a longer term investment. I would rather err on the side of a quality piece while still not getting ripped off.

More or less I think the way that the suppressor mounts is good and based off of youtube and other stuff I've read the suppression is really good with that one too. Basically though I am buying something for $1000 bucks sight unseen based off of youtube and some online reviews...it makes me kind of nervous a little bit but in the back of my mind I think I will be ok.

Another question I have is say I need some manufacturer warranty work or something. Can I just mail the thing back and have them fix it or do I have to go through some big long drawn out process with forms and stuff?

Like I said though, at some point I just have to kind of take the leap of faith and go with it hoping that I make a wise choice.

Former11B
25 March 2015, 19:01
Everytime I visited Parallax Tactical, they were always busy, even on an early weekday afternoon. And that was before they opened up their workshop next door. Aside from the unfathomable business expenses when having to deal with CA, I imagine they afford to stay because they're one of the go-to AR and pistol shops in San Diego, and there's only about 3 or 4 to choose from.

I cant imagine all the red tape they deal with from a government standpoint. That's really what I should have emphasized. I didn't mean to imply they might not have enough business to STAY in business...their rail I have is sweet.

I have a shooting buddy who moved here from Sunny Diego a couple years back. Shoots 30rd mags when benchrest shooting when a 20 would be more comfortable just on principle now that he's free

alamo5000
25 March 2015, 19:03
And as for adjustable gas blocks are there any recommendations?

I have an SLR rifleworks rail and I like them as a company. They've been good to me.

They also make adjustable gas blocks....

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57

I am not sure what is a good one and what isn't.... but all I know is my rail is pretty slim so anything I get will have to fit underneath it and hopefully I won't have to take the rail off to adjust it.

Any suggestions? Comments?

alamo5000
25 March 2015, 19:07
Another question while it's on my mind... I saw a BCG that is supposedly built for suppression. I don't know if that's just a gimmick or something to look into.

Former11B
25 March 2015, 19:13
I had an unexpected thing come up today (I had to work late with no notice) so I couldn't call, but when I got home I sent an email to the Silencer Shop. I inquired specifically about the Recce 5. Based on their advertised price, sales tax, tax stamp etc etc I figured I could get it in hand for under $900 all inclusive. Once I know REALLY what I am getting into all this for I can do the trust and be done with it.

I asked them several questions in my email so hopefully I didn't leave anything out when I calculated the price. If I buy online from another state I still have to go through a class III FFL and that will add between $75 to $100 bucks. If I buy at the Silencer Shop I pay state sales tax which would equate to a little over $50 bucks. If they don't charge me any additional FFL transfer fees it's cheaper to buy from them. They also sound very professional on their website. Plus I don't like dealing with assholes and as I called around on my break I got a few of them on the phone as I asked about class 3 transfers and stuff.

They are about 2 hours away or so and in Texas terms that's pretty close. I regularly drive an hour each way to go out to eat.

If my calculations are correct, including the trust, I would have a suppressor for under $1000 all inclusive of everything. I am pretty sure they will help me fill out the forms and stuff but I will talk to them directly to see what they say and if they pass my asshole test. So far though they seem to be passing with flying colors so I don't think it will be an issue.

Now as for the suppressor its self I don't know jack schitt about what I am doing. It's something I don't have any experience with so I am taking all advice seriously. If that's the one I decide I want I could have it in hand as soon as they get done with the form 4 or whatever other government bullshit they have to fill out. At some point I just have to make a little leap of faith.

I don't know how long a suppressor lasts so I am hoping to get some feed back there. I am not a heavy shooter and I normally don't engage in tons of rapid fire and all that. Yes I do, but not all the time. I doubt very seriously I will put the suppressor under any real strain on a regular basis.

On the Recce 5 I kind of like the idea of the tapered mount. To me it seems pretty solid, but then again what do I know. I probably won't be taking it on and off all the time but if I want to shoot unsuppressed for whatever reason they have a pretty cool compensator that I think is compatable as well. Plus they give you some kind of mount with the purchase so that's pretty cool.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/Taper-Mount-Flash-Comp-p/tmfc.htm

If I need to spend an extra $200 to not get a piece of junk I would rather do that. I am not THAT price sensitive. I am looking at it as more of a longer term investment. I would rather err on the side of a quality piece while still not getting ripped off.

More or less I think the way that the suppressor mounts is good and based off of youtube and other stuff I've read the suppression is really good with that one too. Basically though I am buying something for $1000 bucks sight unseen based off of youtube and some online reviews...it makes me kind of nervous a little bit but in the back of my mind I think I will be ok.

Another question I have is say I need some manufacturer warranty work or something. Can I just mail the thing back and have them fix it or do I have to go through some big long drawn out process with forms and stuff?

Like I said though, at some point I just have to kind of take the leap of faith and go with it hoping that I make a wise choice.

Since you're only two hours from SS, do they do demos? Can you set up a time with someone to fondle and maybe shoot some? How about another local dealer allowing the same?

Good, quality built suppressors last indefinitely. They last numerous barrel lifetimes and then some, unless you are shooting bad ammo or do something stupid (like fail to attach it all the way, for example) and shoot it off the end of the rifle. Some people don't test reload stability before shooting through a can (I test stability at 2", 6", 3 feet, 25yds) to make sure the bullet is not wobbling just outside the muzzle where it would be inside the can. Shooting lead .22 through a sealed rifle can is a good way to fill it with lead and increase the weight and decrease the useful life. Don't shoot .22 through a sealed rifle can and don't buy a serviceable rifle can. They are nowhere near as strong. Shooting on short barrels without a BRAKE mount acting as a sacrificial blast baffle will erode and flame cut the baffles and even the end cap. Stick to what the manufacturer says with barrel length.

If you need warranty repairs contact the manufacturer and theyll tell you how to ship but nothing special is needed (except insurance!!!!).

Transporting your can across state lines is OK with no ATF approval needed like SBRs (assuming you're going to an NFA legal state). DO NOT LAMINATE AN APPROVED FORM 4!!! I read about a guy doing that to a machine gun form 4, the ATF couldn't find their copy and needed his to verify, but they couldn't authenticate the stamp under the laminate without destroying it so the guy had to surrender the gun. Could be NFA wives tales but knowing the ATF...no. I make photo copies of my forms front and back and shrink them 50% and laminate the copies for range bag proof in case someone challenges it but Ive never had an issue.

What did I miss?

Edit: gas blocks: MicroMOA is another good brand. I don't know about the Gemtax adjustable BCG but...not sure if I'm gonna party with Gemtech. I would like to redirect the gas before it gets to the BCG...

alamo5000
25 March 2015, 19:27
Since you're only two hours from SS, do they do demos? Can you set up a time with someone to fondle and maybe shoot some? How about another local dealer allowing the same?

I looked around Houston and there are no Griffin dealers around here that I know of or could find. It's Austin or nothing. Which Austin is a pretty fun place. I have no idea if they do demos or not. I gave them my contact information and when they call or I get to call them I will ask them.

Truth be told I would kind of like to see all these things in person side by side and see how they mount and whatever other stuff I can see.

I have handled a number of suppressors at gun shows around Houston but not Griffin. And they also didn't have it set up to where I could put it on or take it off to see just how solid it is. It was just someone handing me a tube for inspection... which was only marginally useful.

If the thing can last for a decade then I really don't mind spending the money. I will get a lot of use out of it.

gatordev
26 March 2015, 04:21
I cant imagine all the red tape they deal with from a government standpoint. That's really what I should have emphasized. I didn't mean to imply they might not have enough business to STAY in business...their rail I have is sweet.

I gotcha. CA excels in administrative burden.

I have a shooting buddy who moved here from Sunny Diego a couple years back. Shoots 30rd mags when benchrest shooting when a 20 would be more comfortable just on principle now that he's free

I always found it amusing once I learned one of CA's dirty little secrets... possession of 30 round mags (or rounds > 10) aren't actually illegal. And they're absolutely everywhere. Until last year when a law was signed that prohibited sending in "repair kits," people would order 30 round mags from out of state all the time. It was like everyone understood and just winked and nodded. Now depending on how a rifle was configured, you might not be able to legally use that 30 round mag, but there were legal ways around that, as well. And depending on where you shot, it's often ignored anyway.

SwissyJim
26 March 2015, 08:42
And as for adjustable gas blocks are there any recommendations?

I have an SLR rifleworks rail and I like them as a company. They've been good to me.

They also make adjustable gas blocks....

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57

I am not sure what is a good one and what isn't.... but all I know is my rail is pretty slim so anything I get will have to fit underneath it and hopefully I won't have to take the rail off to adjust it.

Any suggestions? Comments?

I run SLR adj blocks, and love them. The single tool adjustment is awesome, and Todd has been a joy to work with. I had an older designed block that locked up on me - I rounded out the adjustment screw trying to change it after shooting a ton of suppressed 300BLK. Which, was my fault as I didn't regularly adjust the screw, like when I cleaned the gun. I wrote him, asked how/what to do,and he sent me a brand new block in the new design (Sentry) It has a plate that you can remove to lube/clean the metering rod/cam/pin/whatever in case you do what I did. I tried it out, and it worked great. Definitely not the cheapest block out there, but I like them enough that they are on every rifle I put together - even the .458Socom I am working on right now. Not to mention his service is awesome - I feel that he could have very easily told me it was user error (it was) and not done anything, but he chose to send me a replacement, with a design upgrade. Now that Syrac has a single tool adjustable, that would warrant a look as well - but me, I'm a SLR fan.

alamo5000
26 March 2015, 09:23
Ok. I talked to the folks at the silencer shop in Austin. First off the guy said "it was easily the quietest one we've ever tested" which made me go "cool"...

He also said the mount is very solid.

All I have to do is send them $900 and a copy of the trust and then wait.

My work seems to be cut out for me.

alamo5000
26 March 2015, 16:01
Step 1.

Trust created.

Check.

Should be here in a day or two ready to be notarized.

Edit: Coyote is fast as hell. I had it back within an hour of submission.

Trust is now ready to be signed and notarized.

akersc
27 March 2015, 11:46
I afforded it because I have $1000+ rifles and pistols and well you get what I am sayin....

alamo5000
1 April 2015, 15:23
Update:

Finally got everyone involved to sign. Trust is officially created, signed and notarized.

Next step is to scan it to create a PDF version and then to finish suppressor shopping.

UWone77
2 April 2015, 01:09
Update:

Finally got everyone involved to sign. Trust is officially created, signed and notarized.

Next step is to scan it to create a PDF version and then to finish suppressor shopping.

Congrats... and for the overthinking, over analyzing suppressor purchase thread to come....[BD]

Former11B
2 April 2015, 02:52
Update:

One does not simply "finish" suppressor shopping

Dstrbdmedic167
2 April 2015, 04:21

Amen!

alamo5000
2 April 2015, 05:28
Congrats... and for the overthinking, over analyzing suppressor purchase thread to come....[BD]

Heeheee!! You talkin' about me? [BD]

I actually snuck one by you bro! I did a thread a long time back and have been reading on them ever since from time to time. [:D]

There is still stuff I don't know but at some point I just have to go with it.

alamo5000
2 April 2015, 05:37

After this one I don't have any more money [BD]

Maybe I should have said "I will temporarily suspend my suppressor purchases" LOL

Once I test the waters here if it goes smoothly I will more than likely buy more as I save up the dough. A 9mm, a .45, I want a .22 pistol and rifle... all of them need suppressing :P

I am also considering another AR type build but I haven't decided on what yet, but that needs suppressing too.

Another possibility is doing something in .308 or another larger caliber, that is still an unknown though for now.

My work is cut out for me LOL

toolboxluis00200
2 April 2015, 11:53

yeah no kidding i am stuck right now another SBR or another Suppressor