PDA

View Full Version : H&K VP9 Review

Dstrbdmedic167
30 March 2015, 14:04
I was recently asked here to do a review on the VP9. Having never done so I thought Id give my point of view as this is my first H&K pistol. So bear with me and I’ll try my best to hit all the points. I hope to have more and I’m also working on one for the Fortis Rev rail I was given in the T&E program.

Background.
I did a little research about the VP series and how it came to be. Originally termed in 1944 the “VP” comes from the German word Volkspistole, which stands for the people’s pistol. They then came out with the VP70 in as you guessed 1970. However the VP9 has more basic design, function from the P7 instead of the VP70 being that the P7 was a striker fired pistol as well.

Initial Impression.
Do you remember the first time you held your first pistol? What about your first AR? For myself and for a couple other people I asked, when you hold the VP9 for the first time its like holding your first firearm all over again. The way it feels, the grip, the texture, the way it just mold itself to your hand. There are not many pistols on the market that can do this with a first impression. It is close to a Glock 17 in overall size but feels like a Glock 19 in your hand.

Frame
The VP9 takes a lot of its design and shape on the frame from the P30. Ergonomics are similar as well as the side and back straps that can be interchanged with small, medium and large. One thing to me that I thing could have been done better was and a pain in my opinion is the roll pin to remove the straps. Some type of pushpin or locking mechanism may have been better. I know its not a thing you’ll be likely to change often or at all once you get it configured to you, but until then it can be an aggravation. The VP9 allows for a little bit more of a grip and allows the shooter to get a bit closer to the slide vs. the P30. I don’t have one to picture but you can notice there is less material at the dovetail on the VP9 than the P30. The VP9 also has ambidextrous slide release levers. This makes this pistol a great gun for lefty shooters such as myself. It's an added bonus that most people probably don’t think about or take for granted.

The one this that many people consider to be one of the best features of this handgun is the paddle style mag release located on the trigger guard. It is ambidextrous and allows you to release the mag with your trigger finger (or however works for you). While I truly like the paddle release, I also found it difficult to use. I feel I’m just more use to a “standard” style mag release and over time I will become more efficient with it. I recently took a pistol class and to say it mildly my reloads sucked. I was constantly trying to use my thumb, which caused me to reposition my grip. This caused me to have to start over before I could shoot it again. As time has progressed I have gotten more comfortable with it.

Trigger
The trigger on this handgun is delightful! Smooth pull with just the right amount of pre-travel, which is minimal to say the least. The pull weight comes in around 5.4lbs according to H&K. I have to agree the advertised weight is probably accurate. The trigger also has a safety “built in”. You have to depress a portion of the trigger before it can be pulled. Most of the time this is no issue and wouldn’t be for most people. Myself, However, had a bit of issue with this. When running drills at my class I noted on several occasions that I could not get the trigger to pull after several shots in concession. I have not been the only one this has happened to and is probably just another thing will get better with use and as I become better acquainted with the pistol.

Slide
The slide has a few features I thought id mention. One of them is the charging supports or “wings” at the rear that helps with racking the slide, especially with gloves. Upon first look I wondered about the wings but within a very short amount of time they have become one of my favorite features that set this pistol apart. They do or are in the process of making a piece that allows you to replace them but I highly recommend you run it with them before you consider otherwise. Another main feature is the hole in the slide plate that shows the striker is engaged. This visually allows you to see if the weapon has been cocked or not. It’s a nice feature to quickly verify if you’ve engaged the slide.

Sights
The sights are also a very nice feature on the VP9. The standard model has photo luminescent sights. During the day the sights are a nice bright white that can be seen easily. At night you will need some type of light source before they glow. Something to keep in mind if you plan to use this pistol as a self-defense pistol without a light. The LE, or law enforcement edition, comes with Tru-Glo night sights. They too are a bright white during the day and have a very vibrant green glow at night.

Magazines
H&K used the same magazines that came from the P30 and P30L. This makes it nice to be able to pick up a few extra mags without having to pay an exuberant amount for them. They hold 15 rounds, which most people would have probably liked to have seen 17 rounds. Another thing to point out is that the LE version comes with 3 mags where the standard only has 2.

Final Thoughts
The H7K VP9 has quickly become of my favorite pistols I have ever owned. I wont say it has replaced my Glock 19 but the VP9 has gotten a lot more time in my hands. I’ve put around 600 rounds down the pipe with mine and have not had any issues that were not associated to user error. The VP9 is great gun that I highly recommend to any person who is remotely interested in one. If holding one isn’t enough, find someone who owns one that will let you shoot it. I’m sure your mind will change after that. Hope you enjoyed this and let me know if you'd to see more.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/30/6608ebf500dcd34c01c5b174be46bef0.jpg

GOST
30 March 2015, 16:09
Killer review brother!

Dstrbdmedic167
30 March 2015, 16:18
Killer review brother!

Thanks! Hope it wasn't too mundane.

greenlineaz
30 March 2015, 17:30
D-medic-
Are you transitioning over to using your trigger finger to release the magazine or the thumb? After using the P2000 for work and as my first real serious carrying gun, the release on the P30 and VP9 feels huge to me, but if I could use them on the P2k, I would. Awesome review!

UWone77
30 March 2015, 17:31
Needs more pics.

Otherwise, very nice write up.

Dstrbdmedic167
30 March 2015, 17:33
D-medic-
Are you transitioning over to using your trigger finger to release the magazine or the thumb? After using the P2000 for work and as my first real serious carrying gun, the release on the P30 and VP9 feels huge to me, but if I could use them on the P2k, I would. Awesome review!

At first I was attempting to do so with my thumb. Then my instructor asked me what I was doing when I changed mags. I was actually completely loosening my grip with my right hand and rotating the weapon about 20* to hit the paddle with my thumb.

So now I'm trying to relearn to do it with it trigger finger so I don't loosen my grip.

Dstrbdmedic167
30 March 2015, 17:34
Needs more pics.

Otherwise, very nice write up.

Thanks! I'm working on it lol. I figured I'd post this and then come back and add the pics.

Computalotapus
30 March 2015, 18:04
Your forgot to mention that the VP9 has slide serrations already milled in the front and back 😁

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Dstrbdmedic167
30 March 2015, 18:05
Your forgot to mention that the VP9 has slide serrations already milled in 😁
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

You are correct. I thought about them and totally forgot too... doh

Deadwing
31 March 2015, 01:50
Nice review! When i got my first HK (a P30), the paddle-style mag release really took a lot of getting used to. Now it's second nature, and i actually prefer it to the button-style.

mustangfreek
31 March 2015, 02:26
Nice job..

A nice pistol and is on the top of my want list..

velocity2006
31 March 2015, 17:36
Nice write up. I love mine. For anyone wondering this is what the HK replacement parts look like if your wanting to "shave" the tabs. They were cheap so I figured I would run them for a while and see. I have around 1k through my VP9 and I do like the charging tabs but I am not sure they really help, I still have a really good grip with the flush inserts installed.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s643/Lopann06/Side_zpsrsqkc0fn.jpg

Deadwing
1 April 2015, 00:40
I bought a set of the flush filler panels, but haven't installed them yet. When/if one of the charging supports breaks, i'll replace them with the flush pieces.

vongkingco
6 April 2015, 15:32
This HK VP9 is the Bomb! I purchased it at CDNN Sports online. They always have a sale and seen it as low as $559. I got mine for $599. This is my 3rd HK and its handles very nice, easy to shoot and clean. The trigger is very smooth and crisp. I highly recommend it.

ZhouJett
8 September 2018, 17:16
Thanks! I'm working on it lol. I figured I'd post this and then come back and add the pics.

mustangfreek
13 September 2018, 00:37
Hey u figured out the pics.......

:P[BD]

ZhouJett
13 September 2018, 15:31
Hey u figured out the pics.......

:P[BD]

this one worked..