PDA

View Full Version : Barrel installation and break-in tips?

Trace Rinaldi
21 December 2008, 14:43
Im finally getting ready to put a long time build together. I'm putting a 22" polygonal rifled bull barrel on this one. I have heard I should apply some anti-seize compound, and torque the barrel nut. What should it be torqued too, and is the anti-seize a good idea?
Also what would be the best way to break in a poly-rifled barrel? Any suggestions on a bore guide and rod?

I hope this is the right place to post this. And thanks in advance for your input.

Stickman
21 December 2008, 18:11
Im finally getting ready to put a long time build together. I'm putting a 22" polygonal rifled bull barrel on this one. I have heard I should apply some anti-seize compound, and torque the barrel nut. What should it be torqued too, and is the anti-seize a good idea?
Also what would be the best way to break in a poly-rifled barrel? Any suggestions on a bore guide and rod?

I hope this is the right place to post this. And thanks in advance for your input.

Trace,

With the steel barrel nut and aluminum receiver, its a good idea to throw it on. There are varying schools of thought on tightening the barrel nut, but if everything is new, its generally a good idea to tighten and loosed everything 3 times, with the third time being the final one. This gets everything spread around, burrs ground down, and everything seated. There are plenty of people who do not do it this way, and thats fine. Its a pretty easy deal to tighten and loosen a few times, and since the torque setting is so broad, you don't need to worry about it. Make sure you tighten the nut until she starts to tighten up, then bring it to the next hole. Getting everything lined up is rather important, so spend that extra minute or two tweaking the alignment and getting it right.

Eric
22 December 2008, 00:44
I believe 30-80 Ft Lbs is the torque range, which really gives you a lot of latitude. Action Lube Plus (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1147&title=ACTION%20LUBE%20PLUS~) works well for assembly. Standard automotive grease with moly works as well.

Trace Rinaldi
23 December 2008, 10:58
Hey thanks Eric and Stick, that confirms what I have been told. Its always good to get knowledgeable opinions though;)

With that torque range I may forego hunting down a torque wrench, which will save some time..

Any thoughts on barrel break-in?

Thanks again, this is a great forum!!

Stickman
23 December 2008, 17:03
I'm not a big fan of magic potions, harsh language, or voodoo dolls for barrel break in. Ok, maybe a little harsh language..... [BD]

Clean it, then shoot it. I wouldn't want to slander anyone's special break in, but that school of thought is rapidly dying out.

m24shooter
23 December 2008, 17:04
On the torque, do like Stick said. If you find you have to really hog it over to get the teeth to time right, go ahead and back it off. If you do have to back it off, back it all the way off and start torquing it again. Don't try to just ease it back a little to line it up.
Use a long handled wrench/breaker bar to make it a little easier. You also want to have the wrench/bar on the right side, with the muzzle facing you. In this way you are pushing down while applying torque. If you ever have to remove the barrel do it to the other side so that again you are pushing down. A vise with a swiveling base helps this.
For bore guides and rods, I would recommend a Dewey. Creedmore, Sinclair's, and Brownell's all carry good guides and rods.
For break in, chrome lined really doesn't have to worry about it. Nonlined barrels are arguable as far as break in. Some say it is just the barrel makers way of getting you to wear your barrel out quicker. Some believe in it and have raised it to a point where there is monastic devotion to following the shoot/swab/wait/brush mantra.

Trace Rinaldi
23 December 2008, 22:03
Thanks guys! In the knife world we have similar snake oil guru's and overhyped myths that can be the stuff of great debate. Its good to know I can just put some ammunition in it and shoot.

I'll keep it clean, but all that shoot a round or two and then clean it sounds like too much work to be fun..;)

Dutch
1 January 2009, 17:23
Trace,

Ok the info the guys have given you is absolutly correct. Here is what the TM/TO have to say with the reference.

"MolyB" Molybdenum disulfide grease is what is used for "antiseize"

Minimum torque is 30ft-lbs or 40.5 N.m

Wealth of knowledge in:

Army TM 9-1005-319-23&P
Air Force TO 11W3-5-5-42

As far as barrel is not to heat the it up too quickly or for extended periods of time right off the bat. Periodic cleaning, and slow fire with good ammo should provide the results you are looking for.

Dutch

Paulo_Santos
1 January 2009, 18:34
Call the barrel manufacturer for barrel break-in procedures.