PDA

View Full Version : War Sport Costa Ludus Edition AR-15

GOST
6 April 2015, 11:12
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/11073432_936201876411718_1536895373980129068_o.jpg ?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

If the the Costa rifle from Larue wasn't enough for you here's another. War Sports version of the Costa rifle.

Costa Ludus Edition

AR-15

- Caliber: .223 Rem/ 5.56NATO

- Chamber: .223 Wylde

- Barrel Length: 14.7” 4150CM LVOA Match Barrel

- Twist Rate: 1/8 RH

- Weight (unloaded): 7.0lbs

- Length (overall): 31” – 35”

- Trigger: Geissele SSA-E

- Stock/Pistol Grip: Magpul CTR / Magpul MIAD

- Sights: None

- Muzzle Device: War Sport GP Comp Pinned and Welded

- Color: Costa Grey

- Extras: Battle Arms 90 Degree Selector, QD End Plate and the first and last position on rail

http://www.reactivegunworks.com/store/p3/War_Sport_Costa_Ludus_Edition_AR-15.html

GOST
6 April 2015, 11:16
Most of the time people who take his classes post pics, he's running a KAC or BCM.

UWone77
6 April 2015, 11:28
Most of the time people who take his classes post pics, he's running a KAC or BCM.

I'll give him credit, he's a savvy marketer.

GOST
6 April 2015, 11:39
UW you need to talk to John about RA making a DSTRBD edition rifle with upside down RAC.

Dstrbdmedic167
6 April 2015, 11:44
UW you need to talk to John about RA making a DSTRBD edition rifle with upside down RAC.

Ha...ha...ha...

UWone77
6 April 2015, 11:51

Limited Edition, 1 of 1.

toolboxluis00200
6 April 2015, 12:13

from my under standing he take like a bunch of rifles to his courses but the one i see him run the most is his KAC even his 300 BKL and 308 are mostly KAC

toolboxluis00200
6 April 2015, 12:14
Limited Edition, 1 of 1.

lol

KevinBLC
6 April 2015, 12:16
Another overpriced Costa gun. i'm shocked.

JGifford
6 April 2015, 12:23
Why is it so heavy!?

toolboxluis00200
6 April 2015, 12:24
I'll give him credit, he's a savvy marketer.

costa got make money some how

GOST
6 April 2015, 12:29
Why is it so heavy!?

I was thinking the same thing, must be that rail system.

toolboxluis00200
6 April 2015, 12:30

if you look at the pics on the web site it shows too diffrent rails

Thompson
6 April 2015, 13:50
Nah ... me likes the Jack better [BD]

Interesting choice of .223 Wylde and 1/8 twist though.

Did I read it right, that no iron sights are included?

Stone
6 April 2015, 14:02
2700 bucks and no sights, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA..[:D]
THEY NEED TO STEP AWAY FROM THE BONG...
I see $1700 worth of rifle there, if that. That's somewhere around 3000% profit margin. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

toolboxluis00200
6 April 2015, 14:31
2700 bucks and no sights, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA..[:D]
THEY NEED TO STEP AWAY FROM THE BONG...
I see $1700 worth of rifle there, if that. That's somewhere around 3000% profit margin. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

your name is fitting lol

GOST
6 April 2015, 14:33
May actually be a great rifle, but they should have left the Costa Ludus logo off and charged a lot less.

Steeles
6 April 2015, 14:44
it's warsport... it was gonna be expensive AF with or without Costa on it

toolboxluis00200
6 April 2015, 15:04
i am going to make my own signature rifle and it will come whit limited edition Webster dictionary [BD][BD]

GOST
6 April 2015, 16:33
i am going to make my own signature rifle and it will come whit limited edition Webster dictionary [BD][BD]

I just want to see the spelling on the selector markings.

okdonk
6 April 2015, 19:31
+1 on the Jack.
Now is buyers' market.. i won't spend more than $2K for factory complete rifle or just because someone famous name on it.
So far, the American Defense UIC rifles still have my vote. Nice ambi billet lower, nice rail, factory cerakoted and under $2K.

UWone77
6 April 2015, 19:43
+1 on the Jack.
Now is buyers' market.. i won't spend more than $2K for factory complete rifle or just because someone famous name on it.
So far, the American Defense UIC rifles still have my vote. Nice ambi billet lower, nice rail, factory cerakoted and under $2K.

You're right, it's definitely a buyers market. Not sure how the super high end rifles are doing as far as sales go. BUT... for 2k or less, I think a KAC Mod1 all day long.

GOST
6 April 2015, 19:48
I remember seeing a KAC mod 1 not to long ago that had roughly 500 rounds through it for $1850. It also came with a T1 on a KAC mount and a M300B. But this poor guy didn't have the cash or the cojones to talk the wife into letting him into the savings.

UWone77
6 April 2015, 19:56
I remember seeing a KAC mod 1 not to long ago that had roughly 500 rounds through it for $1850. It also came with a T1 on a KAC mount and a M300B. But this poor guy didn't have the cash or the cojones to talk the wife into letting him into the savings.

A few years back I snagged a lightly used SR-15 Mod 0 for $1700 with the Triple Tap, then another brand new one for $1650. I'd love to get a Mod 1 at some point. I think for the money, if you want something nicer than a Colt, a used/new SR-15 is the best bang for the buck.

GOST
6 April 2015, 19:59
Mod 1 CQB has been on the wish list for awhile.

Naytwan
6 April 2015, 20:28
War Sports Wevo Edition?

Thompson
6 April 2015, 22:10
I just want to see the spelling on the selector markings.
Ha. Preposterous. Luis would be forced to use picture icons [BD]

You're right, it's definitely a buyers market. Not sure how the super high end rifles are doing as far as sales go. BUT... for 2k or less, I think a KAC Mod1 all day long.
At least for the Jack - sales seem to be pretty steady. I've seen RA run out of stock on them every once in a while. However, just guessing here, but it looks like sales are starting to steady seeing that you can buy them directly from BCM now.

... but seriously, $2700 and no irons. That's probably why it ways so much :P

SINNER
7 April 2015, 03:19
I would pay extra NOT to have someone's name plastered all over my rifle....

GOST
7 April 2015, 05:20
I usually pay extra for Cerakote to cover logos.

SINNER
7 April 2015, 06:49
Media blasting gaudy logos off parts is my therapy. LOL

Calico Jack
7 April 2015, 15:44
What no tactical bungee cord?

schambers
8 April 2015, 04:49
Costa Tax.

I remember being shocked by the price and rolling my eyes at the M&P thing he put out a while ago.

Anyaways... Figured I would pipe up in defense of Warsports.

I've been to their factility a few times to pick up stuff that they've worked on for me, and its impressive to say the least.
In the past 12 months they have transitioned to creating a lot of parts in-house, and this definately increases the cost of their overall product. That being said, the attention to detail they put into the R&D and production is on par with Larue and the price of their products reflects that level of precision.

In the case of the LVOA, its a specialized product and the price reflects that fact... although I'm sure 90% of the people who own one don't use it for its intended purpose. If you buy a GP Carbine or LVOA from them, you will definately get what you pay for in terms of fit, finish, quality and utility.

p.s. 7lbs is a pretty standard weight for a carbine.

GOST
8 April 2015, 05:39
7 lbs. for a 14.5" barreled rifle may have been standard several years ago. A BCM Recce 14.5" KMR ELW MK2 weighs in at 5.7 lbs, that's the new standard.

I don't feel that people are surprised by the price of this new rifle but rather disappointed. KAC SR-15 E3 MOD 2 have a lot more features than this new rifle and have been going for roughly $2150, $500 cheaper than this Costa.

The reason that I compared War Sport's Costa rifle to the BCM and KAC is that these are the 2 rifles that he is often photographed with in his classes. BCM sponsor more guys than about anybody and are able to keep prices considerably less. They also put Haley's logo on the Jack. But the Jack comes with sights, a $200 gift certificate for training and is $555 cheaper.

I'm sure the guys at War Sport make a great product but this rifle will be compared to the BCM Recce 14.5" KMR ELW MK2. The BCM is 1.3 lbs lighter and roughly $1150 less, it has become the new standard.

schambers
8 April 2015, 05:50
7 lbs. for a 14.5" barreled rifle may have been standard several years ago. A BCM Recce 14.5" KMR ELW MK2 weighs in at 5.7 lbs, that's the new standard.

Guess I should have use the word average, instead of standard.

Funny thing is, I considder KAC stuff to be way overpriced.

SINNER
8 April 2015, 06:11
Only people who have not owned or used a KAC thinks they are overpriced. Not even getting into the resale value being best in the industry.

UWone77
8 April 2015, 06:29
Guess I should have use the word average, instead of standard.

Funny thing is, I considder KAC stuff to be way overpriced.

If you don't use or need the ambi controls on the KAC, some people may consider it overpriced. However, when you take all that and match it up with the match trigger, E3 Bolt, URX Handguards, sights, SOPMOD Stock, it comes out to be a pretty reasonably priced package.

Liberal_Strong
13 April 2015, 08:58
Played with it and its all in the barrel. Its some custom profile design by warsport themselves like the ones they have on the lvoa. Hell the lvoa is heavier than the Costa. Something like a hybrid hbar/medcon

Calico Jack
13 April 2015, 18:12
Costa Tax.

I remember being shocked by the price and rolling my eyes at the M&P thing he put out a while ago.

I've been to their factility a few times to pick up stuff that they've worked on for me, and its impressive to say the least.
In the past 12 months they have transitioned to creating a lot of parts in-house, and this definately increases the cost of their overall product. That being said, the attention to detail they put into the R&D and production is on par with Larue and the price of their products reflects that level of precision.

In the case of the LVOA, its a specialized product and the price reflects that fact... although I'm sure 90% of the people who own one don't use it for its intended purpose. If you buy a GP Carbine or LVOA from them, you will definately get what you pay for in terms of fit, finish, quality and utility.

What's the special purpose of the lvoa?

SINNER
13 April 2015, 18:58

Removing 3k from your wallet.

GOST
13 April 2015, 19:04
Is the LVOA my wife?

SINNER
13 April 2015, 19:07
At least with your wife you have a chance of being kissed first...

Naytwan
13 April 2015, 19:22
Is the LVOA my wife?

At least with your wife you have a chance of being kissed first...

You guys almost owed me a new keyboard. Spit my drink out laughing at that.

schambers
13 April 2015, 19:48
The 12.5" is an SBR that has very little muzzle rise and does not produce a concusive flash that will blow out NVGs.

schambers
13 April 2015, 19:49

The 12.5" is an SBR that has very little muzzle rise and does not produce a concusive flash that will blow out NVGs.

JGifford
15 April 2015, 05:20
Costa Tax.

7# is over a half-pound too heavy for a 16" carbine with a 12-14" rail.

JGifford
15 April 2015, 05:24
7 lbs. for a 14.5" barreled rifle may have been standard several years ago. A BCM Recce 14.5" KMR ELW MK2 weighs in at 5.7 lbs, that's the new standard. To be fair, the KMR is a pretty flimsy rail and kindof falls under the category of "mission specific" rather than "Standard". I view it the same way I do the SIG pistol brace. Serviceable, but not for me.

I don't feel that people are surprised by the price of this new rifle but rather disappointed. KAC SR-15 E3 MOD 2 have a lot more features than this new rifle and have been going for roughly $2150, $500 cheaper than this Costa.

The reason that I compared War Sport's Costa rifle to the BCM and KAC is that these are the 2 rifles that he is often photographed with in his classes. BCM sponsor more guys than about anybody and are able to keep prices considerably less. They also put Haley's logo on the Jack. But the Jack comes with sights, a $200 gift certificate for training and is $555 cheaper.

I'm sure the guys at War Sport make a great product but this rifle will be compared to the BCM Recce 14.5" KMR ELW MK2. The BCM is 1.3 lbs lighter and roughly $1150 less, it has become the new standard.

War Sport is an example of a small company spending a lot of money on machines, smaller lots of materials, etc. They cannot play "economy of scale", especially since BCM buys all their stuff from others, nearly as well as BCM. It's a different operation entirely. However...7# is ridiculously heavy, any way you want to slice it.

GOST
15 April 2015, 06:05
War Sport is an example of a small company spending a lot of money on machines, smaller lots of materials, etc. They cannot play "economy of scale", especially since BCM buys all their stuff from others, nearly as well as BCM. It's a different operation entirely. However...7# is ridiculously heavy, any way you want to slice it.

Should price of a product be dictated by the size of a company, or by the product they've generated? Whether the size of the company is small or large it appears that both BCM and War Sport are in the AR-15 market. BCM has grown into the size company they are by offering good products at good prices with outstanding customer service. There are other small companies generating good rifles at far more competitive prices. I'm sure War Sport makes a great product but it appears they want to be the next Larue Tactical.

What rail system do you consider a standard and not mission specific in todays market?

schambers
15 April 2015, 10:55
The size of a company shouldn't exclusivly dictate price but it definately plays a factor.

I think JGifford hit it on the head with his point about economy of scale. BCM outsources the production of a lot of their parts (as do most companies that sell complete rifles) and Warsports does the opposite and tries to make as many parts as possible in-house, and that can become an expensive proposition.

My M4A1 weighs a little over 7lbs, before attaching all the other parts and accessories. There is a noticeabe difference in the way a weighted down M4 feels compared to a lightweight AR build, but I don't considder 7lbs to be ridiculously... or maybe I've just become used to lugging around a +8lb rifle.

ps. For the record I think that BCM sells great stuff, and I reccomend them to most people I know.

pps. Does anybody think its weird that they came out with an in-line scout mount shortly after they started carrying Arisaka mounts? Does Arisaka make the BCM branded mounts? :confused:

Slippers
15 April 2015, 11:12
pps. Does anybody think its weird that they came out with an in-line scout mount very shortly after they started carrting Arisaka mounts? Does Arisaka make the BCM branded mounts? :confused:

BCM doesn't make an inline scout mount, as far as I know. They have their offset version, which attaches at 3/9 o'clock, rather than the 1:30 or 10:30 positions. We don't make anything for BCM, but they carry our products because Paul and Eric are super cool, and very supportive of KeyMod. :)

JGifford
16 April 2015, 05:38
Should price of a product be dictated by the size of a company, or by the product they've generated? Whether the size of the company is small or large it appears that both BCM and War Sport are in the AR-15 market. BCM has grown into the size company they are by offering good products at good prices with outstanding customer service. There are other small companies generating good rifles at far more competitive prices. I'm sure War Sport makes a great product but it appears they want to be the next Larue Tactical.

What rail system do you consider a standard and not mission specific in todays market?

The KMR is just flimsy. I consider it the same as those uppers and lowers with a bunch of holes drilled in them to save weight.

As to markets of scale...well that's just a fact of economics. If Warsport is going to stay afloat financially, they need to charge more for the same part as compared to BCM. Why? BCM doesn't make anything---Warsport does. This means machinework, overhead, etc. BCM buys in bulk---Warsport maybe not so much (as relates to production volume). I'm not trying to sell anyone on the thought that a forward assist from Warsport is better than the one BCM uses, or whatever, but it's simple economics of scale. It's why Wal-Mart killed the hardware store, basically.

Will Warsport survive? I don't know. Time will tell. They do have a following, though. Time will tell.

JGifford
16 April 2015, 05:44
BCM doesn't make an inline scout mount, as far as I know. They have their offset version, which attaches at 3/9 o'clock, rather than the 1:30 or 10:30 positions. We don't make anything for BCM, but they carry our products because Paul and Eric are super cool, and very supportive of KeyMod. :)

On a total side note...or maybe not...I enjoy your interaction on various forums.

Does anyone know if Warsport maintains a footprint anywhere?

BC98
16 April 2015, 06:54
BCM doesn't make anything---Warsport does. This means machinework, overhead, etc. BCM buys in bulk---Warsport maybe not so much (as relates to production volume).

One thing to consider is that when you outsource a part, you are still paying for machinework, overhead, etc. but your are also paying the additional margins that a vendor must have so that THEY can stay in business and make money. It's just rolled into one price and you don't typically have that broken down as the buyer.

Outsourcing parts make sense (especially from a machining and/or heat treatment standpoint) if you don't have the technical capability and equipment or don't want/need to invest in the time and funds to obtain them to meet your business model.

Slippers
16 April 2015, 07:02
One thing to consider is that when you outsource a part, you are still paying for machinework, overhead, etc. but your are also paying the additional margins that a vendor must have so that THEY can stay in business and make money. It's just rolled into one price and you don't typically have that broken down as the buyer.

Outsourcing parts make sense (especially from a machining and/or heat treatment standpoint) if you don't have the technical capability and equipment or don't want/need to invest in the time and funds to obtain them to meet your business model.

This is exactly what many companies struggle with. Machines are a big investment, plus you need all the tooling and employees to run them. Whenever machines aren't running, you're losing money due to the overhead of wages, facility rent, and so forth. Sometimes outsourcing is the way to go. Internally we have the same dilemma right now. We're pressed to capacity on our current machines, but buying another CNC mill or lathe may not be the right choice.

BCM does very high volume. One look at my RSR Group account will show thousands of a specific BCM part in stock. I think they're on an entirely different numbers level than Warsport. This isn't a poke at Warsport, either. It just shows that they have completely different approaches to how they make and sell firearms.

UWone77
16 April 2015, 07:04
On a total side note...or maybe not...I enjoy your interaction on various forums.

Does anyone know if Warsport maintains a footprint anywhere?

Adam from Warsport has posted here a few times. His screen name is: Adam_WarSport

JGifford
16 April 2015, 07:20
Adam from Warsport has posted here a few times. His screen name is: Adam_WarSport

It would be great if he saw and popped into this thread mayhap.