PDA

View Full Version : 5.45x39mm AR Build

Nevergiveupthefight
9 April 2015, 10:11
I was pretty much set on a .300 Blackout build, but my buddy planted a bug in my ear with a 5.45x39mm build simply because the ammo is dirt cheap, similar ballistics to the 5.56, and I don't have to concern myself with picking up casings! And I like the fact that I can get a mid length barrel for a 5.45x39mm v.s. a carbine length barrel for the .300. Any thoughts?

http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-545-ba-hanson-performance-barrel.html

BoilerUp
9 April 2015, 11:57
If cheap is the goal, then why not? I think you found the perfect barrel, too...

SINNER
9 April 2015, 12:39
I enjoy shooting my 5.45 AR. Don't expect MOA accuracy mainly due to the ammo. As far as the barrel goes I truly question why they would go with such a finicky chamber when the intention is shooting Cheap milsurp ammo. Knowing upfront they have issues with certain bolts head spacing and not functioning with certain ammo would turn me off on a gun built to shoot whatever the cheap date of the week is. The 7n6 has went up recently and sometimes Wolf and other crap can be had for less. If I were looking for a higher quality barrel I would look at the Voodoo barrel. I got a cheap Ares for $129 and the barrel shot well with decent ammo. 1 MOA or better with Hornady Vmax. 2-3 MOA with Wolf or milsurp ammo.

GOST
9 April 2015, 12:52
Is the ATF ban on importing 5.45x39 still in affect, or did it shelved with the M855 ban?

gatordev
9 April 2015, 13:21
Is the ATF ban on importing 5.45x39 still in affect, or did it shelved with the M855 ban?

It's still in effect, but it didn't disappear as fast as everyone thought. It did go up in price, though.

OP, here's a thread from earlier:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?7224-AR-in-5.45&highlight=spike%27s

The one thing I would be worried about now is getting a bolt. I wished I had grabbed another Spike's or BA bolt when I had the chance in case mine breaks. You can still find Spike's uppers in EEs online, which is a one-stop purchase that will work out of the box (other than making sure the mags works).

GOST
9 April 2015, 13:48
Interested in knowing what this rifle will be used for, just cause there's a big difference between 300 BO and 5.45x39.

Nevergiveupthefight
9 April 2015, 18:38
Primarily range shooting. Every time I buy 1000 rounds of 5.56, it's about $150 away from a Glock 19 or 23!

Nevergiveupthefight
9 April 2015, 18:44
But, I'm going to stick with my original intent, and stay on course with the .300 BO!

GOST
9 April 2015, 18:44
I'd spend the money on putting this rifle together on 5.56 ammo and a G19 then.

GOST
9 April 2015, 18:45
If your anywhere near a Craig's Firearms they sell new G19's for $390.

Nevergiveupthefight
9 April 2015, 20:34
I live in the Peoples Republic of California, so I can't buy a Gen 4 Glock because of their BS safety standards and shake down fees they impose on firearm manufacturers. But, $390 is a smoking deal! My favorite gun store sales the G19 Gen3 for $499.

Dave Timm
20 April 2015, 20:57
Having some significant experience with the 545 I can tell you that two challenge areas are bolts and magazines. Some guys have had really good luck with modded Pmags and I always hoped Magpul would deliver a 545 pmag. I've also had decent luck with ASC mags but encounter lemons regularly too. The bolt will generally either be machined to use a standard 556 firing pin or may require a longer pon to get detonation. There is a company making specific 545 firing pins but the name escapes me currently. They protrude longer.

As far as bolts go they are still around, Adams Voodoo bolts can be had and are Melonite finished.

545 is a fun round and is still available for $200 a spam can in my area. Accuracy is ok but when you use Hornady you can get some good results. I've used voodoo barrels and they have held up well but I've gone through a few.

SINNER
21 April 2015, 05:38
I am a believer in the VooDoo bolts. Looks brand new after 2,500 rounds. How many rounds were you shooting to burn out a barrel? Honestly I am surprised at how good the cheapo Ares barrel looks after the abuse I have put it through. Judging by the wear after 2,500+ rounds I am certain it will survive at least 20,000 rounds. You have to be diligent with the 5.45 as far as cleaning the barrels go. Seems to copper foul much quicker than 5.56 or 7.62x39 for some reason.

gatordev
21 April 2015, 12:29
You have to be diligent with the 5.45 as far as cleaning the barrels go. Seems to copper foul much quicker than 5.56 or 7.62x39 for some reason.

I haven't found that to be an issue with my Spike's. I have ~2100 rounds through it and the only cleaning I do to the barrel is running some M Pro 7 regular cleaner and then some 2K EWL through it after every outing. Are you seeing accuracy degradation that makes you say that?

I may have to grab a Voodoo bolt so I have a spare.

SINNER
21 April 2015, 15:07
Yes, pattern started to open up. Further inspection of the barrel surprised me with how noticeable the copper streaks were. After being aware of the issue I started paying more attention and my AK74 shows much more fouling than the 47 with very close round counts.

gatordev
21 April 2015, 17:11
Interesting. Was that primarily with 7n6 or were other types doing that as well? Or do you know? I ask because all but probably 30 rounds have been 7n6 for me. I figure I'll shoot that all up first and if I still have a barrel left, I can switch to the lower maintenance stuff (Silver Bear and Golden Tiger).

Dave Timm
21 April 2015, 23:55
Depending on use I've seen barrels start to go at around 8k-15k. The 8k barrel was used on a customers mg lower and was rented out and shot a ton on full auto. Mag dump after mag dump, he was pretty up front about it. When we scoped the barrel it started to look like dried mud and it was key holing. But voodoo honored the lifetime warranty and he is still shooting. I know other guys with several thousand, over ten, and they are going strong.

When groups to start to open I completely agree that people aren't cleaning it enough. The 545 does foul plus the rounds aren't exactly the highest quality anyway but they are fun and cheap to shoot. I remember when tins would go on sale, you could could buy the crate for $200. The good old days :-).

All the talk about ar 545s, still I think my ak74 is the more enjoyable shooting 545. Just my opinion.