PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd try out the shockwave pistol stabilizer

TA7969
14 April 2015, 18:11
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/02blackws679ta/20150413_185427_1_zpsmvb2sxzy.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/02blackws679ta/media/20150413_185427_1_zpsmvb2sxzy.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/02blackws679ta/20150413_185342_1_zpsftj77w4a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/02blackws679ta/media/20150413_185342_1_zpsftj77w4a.jpg.html)
Initial impressions are very positive. Sure as hell looks better than the sig brace and so far I'm liking it better than the Thordsen setup I've been running on it.
Don't mind the missing front sight, it's got duty on another rig for now.

Thompson
14 April 2015, 18:17
Sweet build. Been hearing some rumbling from this new stabilizer - seems much more solid than the Sig Brace.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it.

TA7969
14 April 2015, 18:20
Sweet build. Been hearing some rumbling from this new stabilizer - seems much more solid than the Sig Brace.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Haven't been able to shoot it yet, just got it yesterday but the sig brace really just never interested me for a multitude of reasons. This actually looks pretty good and with the kak tube it's fully adjustable and locks up tight as hell.

Dstrbdmedic167
14 April 2015, 19:12
These have caught my attention as well. I think I may pick one up soon.

UWone77
14 April 2015, 19:23
I don't pay much attention to the AR pistol market anymore, but has the ATF ruled this is not a stock? Looks more usable than the Sig Brace.

Aragorn
14 April 2015, 19:40
That looks to be deliberately pushing its luck with the ATF.

Former11B
14 April 2015, 19:41
Another product that makes me think the SBR/NFA thing is so stupid

Thompson
14 April 2015, 19:47
I don't pay much attention to the AR pistol market anymore, but has the ATF ruled this is not a stock? Looks more usable than the Sig Brace.
Yeah, I was surprised too.

TA7969
14 April 2015, 20:20
I was surprised as well but the atf deemed it legal and they send the letter with the brace/stabilizer like sig does. It specifically states no shoulder firing though lol

Thompson
14 April 2015, 20:33
I was surprised as well but the atf deemed it legal and they send the letter with the brace/stabilizer like sig does. It specifically states no shoulder firing though lol
... just a matter of time before the idiots start writing letters to the ATF like they did the Sig Brace.

TA7969
14 April 2015, 20:47
... just a matter of time before the idiots start writing letters to the ATF like they did the Sig Brace.

I have no doubt they will.

UWone77
14 April 2015, 20:48
In terms of just pure aesthetics, if you can't have a SBR, that is good looking.

TA7969
14 April 2015, 20:54
In terms of just pure aesthetics, if you can't have a SBR, that is good looking.

Totally agree.

RiverRat
15 April 2015, 06:40

The ATF response to Marty Ewer of Shockwave included the following (underlining for emphasis by ATF, not me):

Based on our evaluation, the FTISB finds that the forearm brace, when attached to a pistol is a “firearm” subject to the GCA provisions; however, it is not a “firearm” as defined by the NFA provided the Blade AR Pistol Stabilizer is used as originally designed and NOT used as a shoulder stock.

I'm increasingly alarmed that government agencies are opening even more doors for intent and use as a yardstick for legality - even moreso given the complete lack of evidence for SBRs and cans being problematic.

Pyzik
15 April 2015, 07:08
Looks much better than the sig brace and is probably a ton lighter.

The AR pistol fad is dying for me... Think I may trade mine off for an AK...

UWone77
15 April 2015, 07:14
Looks much better than the sig brace and is probably a ton lighter.

The AR pistol fad is dying for me... Think I may trade mine off for an AK...

I think it's dying with the shouldering ruling on the Sig Brace. I always kept a Pistol Lower with a pistol tube built up for short barreled uppers, otherwise, I wouldn't have any pistol lowers.

JHoward
15 April 2015, 07:25
I still love my pistol. I plan on building an SBR, but for the price and usefulness, you really can't beat an 11.5" pistol... This "brace" will be worth me checking out.

TA7969, is that extra LOP built into it? Or is there something going on with the buffer that I can't see?

SINNER
15 April 2015, 07:25
I have 2 Maryland legal pistol lowers. They will never be SBR's until I get out of this state. I may be incorrect in this assumption but I believe this eliminates any possibility of intent from having sub 16" barrels.

I do like the look of that brace.

TA7969
15 April 2015, 11:10
I still love my pistol. I plan on building an SBR, but for the price and usefulness, you really can't beat an 11.5" pistol... This "brace" will be worth me checking out.

TA7969, is that extra LOP built into it? Or is there something going on with the buffer that I can't see?

The kak tube designed specifically for this stabilizer has 12 dimples drilled in it so you can adjust the LOP with the set screw in the brace. It locks up rock solid and being able to adjust the length while having a perfectly tight lockup is awesome.
This is the only AR pistol I own but the "fad" hasn't worn off for me, I love this thing...even more so now.

TA7969
15 April 2015, 11:12
I was able to put a couple hundred rounds through it today...I have nothing but good things to say about it.

JHoward
15 April 2015, 13:58
I'm going to have to look into this....

voodoo_man
15 April 2015, 18:51
Sent them a few emails and never heard back....not exactly confidence inspiring.

Thompson
15 April 2015, 20:04
Sent them a few emails and never heard back....not exactly confidence inspiring.
Lol - what is it with you getting the short end of the stick? Law Tactical folding stock, INCOG, this. What's next? :P

Former11B
15 April 2015, 21:11
Considering that the ATF can't regulate how you hold an AR pistol (even though they're trying through these OPINIONS), I would use this device in the most comfortable or natural position you can. The weapon still has a pistol buffer. It's no different if you wear some padding or an LBE and put the bare tube against yourself. A pistol is a pistol; hold it however you want. Especially if it's for HD use only or something...not like anyone is looking.

I get a little ruffled when the same agency who set up mentally handicapped people in manufactured stings try to say how you can hold a legally constructed firearm

voodoo_man
16 April 2015, 03:26
Lol - what is it with you getting the short end of the stick? Law Tactical folding stock, INCOG, this. What's next? :P

That is a good question. Obviously this isn't the first company to just disregard emails or requests for press info, but the lack of response is normally indicative of a company that has very poor customer service and probably will do very little standing by their product.

John Hwang
23 April 2015, 17:05
Rainier Arms will be distributing these shortly. We just put in a large opening order. :)

Dstrbdmedic167
23 April 2015, 18:15
Rainier Arms will be distributing these shortly. We just put in a large opening order. :)

Now that is useful information! Need a RA branded one! 😉

mustangfreek
24 April 2015, 01:47
Im intrigued by one of these ..maybe..

voodoo_man
24 April 2015, 04:27
...don't know if want

WHSmithIV
24 April 2015, 12:55
Does that work on any pistol tube or do you need the kak tube?

EDIT: Never mind, I looked it up. Seems like it could actually be useful though since it's supposed to stabilize against the inside of the forearm. They are available on fleabay at just over $50 too.

mustangfreek
25 April 2015, 02:15
Hummm...for under 50 bux i might have to try one someday...rainier has them in stock as of this post..

https://www.rainierarms.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?manufacturer%5B0%5D=417