PDA

View Full Version : Billet Lower thread

Stickman
24 December 2008, 10:57
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5317&posted=1#post5317

Its taken entirely too long, but the Guide to Billet Lowers is up, or at least in the process of getting put up.

More pictures of the Tactical Innovations billet lowers will get put up, but I need to go out and shoot some more pictures before that can happen. All the images of it are showing items that involve NDAs, so I need to shoot some regular pictures. I'll see if I can get some of those shot today.

The next section will be of the Magpul Lowers, and I've got plenty of those pictures ready to go.

I know that Tactical Innovations makes another billet lower, but it looks like a standard lower, so I'm not including that one. I think that should include most of the main stream billet lowers, if there are any that I'm missing, let me know we'll see if they are available to include.

24 December 2008, 21:01
Just to clarify, Stickman, on the POF lowers:

Gen I: standard looking
Gen II: integral trigger guard
Gen III: integral trigger guard plus ambi bolt release

Stickman
24 December 2008, 21:39
Just to clarify, Stickman, on the POF lowers:

Gen I: standard looking
Gen II: integral trigger guard
Gen III: integral trigger guard plus ambi bolt release

Do they still make the Gen II? It doesn't show on their site anymore, or if it does, I missed it...

25 December 2008, 08:45
Their site doesn't show it, and they might not be making it anymore. I just wanted to clarify for folks who might run into one of those Gen II still floating around the market.[:)]

Stickman
25 December 2008, 14:59
Point well taken, thankyou. [:)]

John Hwang
31 December 2008, 11:58
They still make a GEN 2 from what I know.

Stickman
31 December 2008, 12:51
Ok, more good info, thanks!

Stickman
17 January 2009, 18:27
Several more billet lowers coming out in the very near future, including a 5.56 version with new lines, and a good looking .308 model as well. Two different companies, I'll put up more info as I get it, and pictures as well.

Uglyduck
16 March 2009, 18:29
Any experiences with the TKS Engineering lower? TKS (http://www.tksengmfg.com/gunparts)

John Hwang
17 March 2009, 21:53
TKS makes a nice lower from my personal experience. TKS used to work for SunDevil until he decided to branch off. He still makes the forward assist uppers for SD. So design wise, you are looking at a SD lower with a built in trigger guard. Materials used is 6061 if that's important to you. Out of all the lowers we sell, we have the least amout of complaint calls coming from SD lowers which are also made from 6061. So personally, I haven't seen any real world concerns for 6061. I only have 1 TKS lower on a personal build so I can't comment too much on build quality but from what I see, I think it's a nice lower.

trinydex
24 March 2009, 12:43
will the larue be added to the thread?

Stickman
24 March 2009, 13:22
will the larue be added to the thread?

If I had a SMOS lower, I would add it to the thread, but I don't. At some point down the road I'm sure we will be able to come up with one.

ETA- First post, welcome to the board.

trinydex
24 March 2009, 13:25
thanks, this is the best site media-wise.

i wonder how it took me so long to find it.

trinydex
13 May 2009, 11:11
Any experiences with the TKS Engineering lower? TKS (http://www.tksengmfg.com/gunparts)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=149876

found this in the rumor mill.

Stickman
13 May 2009, 11:50
Its not uncommon for a company to subcontract work when the load is high. Nothing new about that, it wouldn't stun me if it were true.

GriffonSec
14 May 2009, 07:35
Maybe an odd question, but aside from some fit issues, is there any stand out benefit to running a billet lower? I'm toying with the idea of doing the SBR build and would like to get all of my information correct before I make a 'final list'.

Uglyduck
14 May 2009, 08:41
Maybe an odd question, but aside from some fit issues, is there any stand out benefit to running a billet lower?

Thats an ongoing debate, IMO the benefits are cosmetic. Despite that, I still love mine but not because they perform better than my forged lowers.

trinydex
14 May 2009, 08:48
some billet lowers have things like trigger guards and flared magwells built in. that could be interpretted as an improvement.

but then if you're shooting another gun that doesn't have the improvements...

GriffonSec
14 May 2009, 11:20
So far, that's pretty much what I gather. Usually, the most talked about 'feature' so to speak is a much better fit with the upper.

I'm looking at these in a standard configuration minus the trigger guard:

http://www.c3defenseinc.com/kiss/cart.cfm?cmd=home

I'm waiting to hear back on how they do the registration as a SBR 10.5 (an order option). So I suppose you can add C-3 to the list of lowers, although there is a rumor they're simply SunDevil lowers. I do like the way they do the front of the magwell, as out of habit, that's how I've always supported when firing.

TigerStripe
14 May 2009, 14:00
TKS makes a nice lower from my personal experience. TKS used to work for SunDevil until he decided to branch off. He still makes the forward assist uppers for SD. So design wise, you are looking at a SD lower with a built in trigger guard. Materials used is 6061 if that's important to you. Out of all the lowers we sell, we have the least amout of complaint calls coming from SD lowers which are also made from 6061. So personally, I haven't seen any real world concerns for 6061. I only have 1 TKS lower on a personal build so I can't comment too much on build quality but from what I see, I think it's a nice lower.

I still have a SunDevil I bought from you several years back in plastic untouched. I've been thinking of selling it and getting a 7075 billet lower. I like the looks of the POF Gen III but have heard of problems with Pmags. Next would be the TI. I like the cuts in it.

TS

ETA: Thanks for the guide, Stick!

Uglyduck
14 May 2009, 14:25
The C3 lowers look good. I've always liked the uniqueness of billet lowers. TigerS, any reason you were thinking of selling your SD for a 7075?

TigerStripe
15 May 2009, 12:47
The C3 lowers look good. I've always liked the uniqueness of billet lowers. TigerS, any reason you were thinking of selling your SD for a 7075?

No real reason behind it. It's just been laying around for so long.

TS

chase102798
18 May 2009, 19:59
I have a TKS and two Sun Devils and I too love the billet lowers. Nice fit, refined lines, very chic.

Uglyduck
15 November 2009, 12:09
Another Billet on the block. Any experiences? They do a dedicated 9mm too.

DDLES (http://www.shop.doublediamondsupply.com/AR-15_c3.htm)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/uglyfireduck/Screenshot2009-11-15at33829PM.png

Nothing special but very clean and simple. $160 price tag too.

Broad Arrow
15 November 2009, 18:08
Thanks for the info. They even have a Vltor matching receiver which I am very interested in. I wonder how it will match the Vltor finish wise. I am definitely waiting for the reviews on this one :)