PDA

View Full Version : Video: AR Gas Rings 101

Dave Timm
22 April 2015, 19:56
Hi everyone,

This is based questions we get a lot from our basic AR class students and others. I also received a message from a member here about this topic for a video idea. I knows many of us know this but if you known new shooter and you think they would find this helpful please share. In this video we go over gas ring basics, how to test as well as how to replace. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks, Dave.

https://www.full30.com/video/6c057ccfa68cce00dfed0d8f8fb45bca

alamo5000
22 April 2015, 20:31
I like it! Another excellent video.

I learn something new all the time here on WEVO.

Thank you!

I have been thinking about getting together an 'oops kit' for my AR (my first one) so I was thinking about getting spare springs/pins/gas rings etc.

If I could recommend another video idea it would be specifically about 'wear parts' as a whole and maybe what a field repair kit would look like... just like the one above but with the angle of what spare parts to buy.

I would also like to see/learn more about normal 'wear points' on an AR, as in, what does a BCG look like after 20,000 rounds? What does the inside of the upper look like? Maybe do like a pecking order of wear parts starting with what will wear out first onto what will wear out last...

Dave Timm
22 April 2015, 23:17
Thanks for the feedback and ideas! I appreciate your thoughts, that's why I love being a part of this forum. I'll see what I can come up with for future videos addressing those points.

gatordev
23 April 2015, 08:21
I'd offer one bit of additional info. The technique of using the BC weight to test the rings is often repeated, but not the actual method depicted in the technical manual. Instead, it states to use the second method you mentioned in your video (WP11, 11-5). Does it really matter? I'd argue yes it does. I have a Fail Zero BCG that, by 1,000 rounds, completely fails the first technique. However, when doing the second TM method, it passes and has zero gas issues when shooting suppressed or unsuppressed. According to the general consensus on the internet (not directed at you Dave) I should replace the rings, but in reality, they're fine and meet the TM test criteria.

Eric
23 April 2015, 14:03
Another variant taught is removing the firing pin and cam pin, then grasping the bolt by the lugs and inverting the BCG. The rings are supposed to support the weight of the BCG, if not, replace. This method will also give an earlier fail than the method described in the TM. Gas rings are fairly forgiving, like Dave mentioned. The last couple sets that I pulled out of service were most likely due to user induced damage (scrubbing with a wire brush, smashing the bolt into the carrier with a dislodged ring, etc).