PDA

View Full Version : Tornado

alamo5000
27 April 2015, 19:20
We had a tornado hit us last night. Here are some of the pics I snapped.

In the first two pictures a pine tree was completely uprooted. The trunk of the tree is about 12 to 15 foot around at it's base. Obviously the root ball is much larger. It blew down at the local Methodist Church.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7679/17269914286_1b62bf04bf_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7673/17108313130_5a17919f37_b.jpg

This guy got his car port smashed in. The funny thing is a tree smashed it but when he came out to inspect the tree that did the smashing was already gone.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8697/16673403044_09a41b144e_b.jpg

This tree that was snapped in two was another big one. The stump is about six feet tall.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7683/16673413484_908f18a4b7_b.jpg

This sign was blown over sheerly by the wind. The rain and flood waters were rushing down hill, but this sign post got bent over up hill in the opposite direction of the water.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7710/17088437537_b0265a81a3_b.jpg

My back yard shooting lane is pretty covered up. The tops of huge pine trees and oak trees that were blown over are all scattered along the way. This shot is taken about from my normal shooting position. I have a lane that goes out to 200 yards. Those tree tops in the background are at about the 50 yard mark. Right at the 100 yard mark there are some big fallen trees and broken off tree tops that were thrown around by the wind.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7692/17108333220_ddec6621b1_b.jpg

GOST
27 April 2015, 19:33
Glad you weren't hurt brother. Hope your neighbors were safe also.

alamo5000
27 April 2015, 19:37
Glad you weren't hurt brother. Hope your neighbors were safe also.

Yes sir. Thank you.

That sucker was LOUD. It woke me up about 4am.

When dawn arrived the yard looked like a small war zone LOL

No injuries anywhere to be reported anywhere. The whole area had a bunch of tornadoes apparently.

As soon as it dries out some I get to play with the chainsaw some more [:D]

GOST
27 April 2015, 19:40
Thank the good Lord no one was hurt.

Dstrbdmedic167
27 April 2015, 19:44
Glad to hear everyone is well and was safe. Good luck on the cleanup.

alamo5000
27 April 2015, 19:46
Thank the good Lord no one was hurt.

Yes sir! There are still lots of folks with no electricity. Lots of property damage and downed trees but nothing else thank goodness. The roof got ripped off of one of our barns.

It was definitely a close call, but hey, roofs and car ports can be replaced...

Aragorn
27 April 2015, 19:48
You must not be too far from me. Was dodging that same storm up here in Denton. My dumb ass about got struck by lightning watching the storm.

Glad all is well.

alamo5000
27 April 2015, 19:49
Glad to hear everyone is well and was safe. Good luck on the cleanup.

Thank you. We have to give it a while before we can really get at the clean up. The mud is so thick you just sink down over your shoes. We will pull those trees with a tractor but it needs to dry out some first. Our place should be relatively easy to clean up once it dries out some.

BTW We are expecting more extreme weather tonight and over the next couple days.

jonpac07
27 April 2015, 19:52
Alamo where is this at? We had some east of us

alamo5000
27 April 2015, 19:52
You must not be too far from me. Was dodging that same storm up here in Denton. My dumb ass about got struck by lightning watching the storm.

Glad all is well.

You're about 3 hours north from me. I heard yall got it pretty bad up there.

alamo5000
27 April 2015, 19:54
Alamo where is this at? We had some east of us

I am in between Dallas and Houston. About 2 or 3 hours south south east from DFW.

jonpac07
27 April 2015, 19:54

jonpac07
27 April 2015, 19:56

Glad all is well.

We go to church in Denton, I'm 40 min south and we got the tail end of it.

jonpac07
27 April 2015, 19:57
Gotcha good to know, I'm in Fort Worth

I am in between Dallas and Houston. About 2 or 3 hours south south east from DFW.

Thompson
27 April 2015, 19:58
Ouch. Glad to hear that you're okay. Insurance must be a bitch to handle.

Guessing it was like an F1, F2 tornado?

Aragorn
27 April 2015, 20:01
You're about 3 hours north from me. I heard yall got it pretty bad up there.

Got lucky. We were right in a hole where the worst we had was severe lightning/precip/wind. I guess there was some flooding in some places downtown.

We go to church in Denton, I'm 40 min south and we got the tail end of it.

Oh yeah? Where do you go? We tried 3C when we first got here about a year ago but haven't really been since. The wife keeps telling me we need to check out Global Sphere Center.

alamo5000
27 April 2015, 20:07
Ouch. Glad to hear that you're okay. Insurance must be a bitch to handle.

Guessing it was like an F1, F2 tornado?

I have no idea what the F number is... but if it's bad enough to shear off a 15 foot around pine tree then I don't want any more.

I don't think we really need to mess around with insurance on this one. Just buy some gas and fire up the chainsaws.

jonpac07
27 April 2015, 21:44
Oh yeah? Where do you go? We tried 3C when we first got here about a year ago but haven't really been since. The wife keeps telling me we need to check out Global Sphere Center.

Providence chapel, We meet in the Denton Senior Center. http://www.providencedenton.org/
Y'all should come sometime.

WHSmithIV
27 April 2015, 22:14
Glad you're safe. Very glad we don't get tornadoes here in the mountains too.

din
27 April 2015, 23:27
Glad you're safe. Very glad we don't get tornadoes here in the mountains too.

We did have that one in SLC back, oh, 14 years or so ago. Totally random, right in the middle of downtown. Also glad you're safe and sound!

Deadwing
28 April 2015, 02:42
Glad you're safe! Definitely not something i'd want to wake up to.

Computalotapus
28 April 2015, 05:17
Glad you guys are ok.

WHSmithIV
28 April 2015, 10:51
I have no idea what the F number is... but if it's bad enough to shear off a 15 foot around pine tree then I don't want any more.

I don't think we really need to mess around with insurance on this one. Just buy some gas and fire up the chainsaws.

The F numbers designate the wind speeds in the tornado like Force numbers designate the strength of wind or Category numbers the strength of hurricanes. The higher the F number, the more dangerous the tornado is. To snap and uproot trees like that it would have had to be probably a F2 tornado. You're lucky, because it would have flattened the house if it hit it. I'd fire up the chainsaws and cut the trees up for firewood too. However, if they are your trees, I'd probably get in touch with the insurance co. so they could cover sending a crew out with large chainsaws to cut up the trunks. With all that wood, if you don't have a splitter, you're going to want to get one.

alamo5000
28 April 2015, 10:51
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Its almost all back to normal around here. A bunch of people still don't have power but that's it. Hopefully it dries out some so we can clean up. We have a 4wd kabota and even that thing will get stuck out there right now in some spots.

alamo5000
28 April 2015, 11:00
The F numbers designate the wind speeds in the tornado like Force numbers designate the strength of wind or Category numbers the strength of hurricanes. The higher the F number, the more dangerous the tornado is. To snap and uproot trees like that it would have had to be probably a F2 tornado. You're lucky, because it would have flattened the house if it hit it. I'd fire up the chainsaws and cut the trees up for firewood too. However, if they are your trees, I'd probably get in touch with the insurance co. so they could cover sending a crew out with large chainsaws to cut up the trunks. With all that wood, if you don't have a splitter, you're going to want to get one.

A lot of the bigger trees were on other people's places. One of our neighbors has a commercial tree business so he's helping take care of a lot of the older folks around. I bought a brand new stihl chainsaw for Christmas and that sucker works like a charm. We have a brush pile and we will pull the logs and other stuff with a tractor. We have a front end loader too. We are gonna have us a bon fire ;)

The oak though is definitely going in the firewood pile. My cousin down the road has a log splitter we can put on the tractor and split what we need to. All those big pine tops and random branches are just going to be bonfire wood though.

My Saturday just got booked from the looks of it. LOL

alamo5000
28 April 2015, 11:08
As for the wind speeds the news stations have weather stations around and in those places (that did not get hit) clocked 100++mph winds. We can only guess what the winds were out where I am at. We are 20 miles from where they were measuring from that one report I heard. Its safe to say it was easily 100+ mph winds and probably a lot more.

WHSmithIV
28 April 2015, 22:11
A lot of the bigger trees were on other people's places. One of our neighbors has a commercial tree business so he's helping take care of a lot of the older folks around. I bought a brand new stihl chainsaw for Christmas and that sucker works like a charm. We have a brush pile and we will pull the logs and other stuff with a tractor. We have a front end loader too. We are gonna have us a bon fire ;)

The oak though is definitely going in the firewood pile. My cousin down the road has a log splitter we can put on the tractor and split what we need to. All those big pine tops and random branches are just going to be bonfire wood though.

My Saturday just got booked from the looks of it. LOL

I think your Saturdays got booked for a few weeks to come [:)] I cut a lot of wood for our winters - generally 2-3 cords per winter.

Txfilmmaker
14 May 2015, 10:31
As for the wind speeds the news stations have weather stations around and in those places (that did not get hit) clocked 100++mph winds. We can only guess what the winds were out where I am at. We are 20 miles from where they were measuring from that one report I heard. Its safe to say it was easily 100+ mph winds and probably a lot more.

Glad you are okay. I did not realize we had tornados so close. I think I am about 45 mins. south of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk