PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Barrels

alamo5000
28 April 2015, 19:27
I have a Sig P226 9mm that I am thinking about suppressing. While I am waiting on the other suppressor for 5.56 to get here I've been thinking that I might just go ahead and buy a 9mm suppressor at the same time. So instead of one suppressor I can buy two. [:D]

I need to buy a threaded barrel if I decide to get a 9mm suppressor...the Sig factory threaded barrel is 13.5 x 1 LH thread but I have also seen 3rd party barrels that were 1/2x28.

My understanding is that 1/2 x 28 is way more popular of a thread for 9mm, but Sig does theirs totally different than everyone else. Any idea why this is? Is there any advantage to one over the other?

I could buy a threaded barrel that is either or... and I could also just buy a spare piston so if I need to that way if I ever use it on a different pistol I can swap it with no problem.

The other question I have is about materials. What are pistol barrels normally made of and does it really matter when it comes to pistols? EFK Barrels say they are made of 416 stainless. I have no idea what a normal factory barrel is made of.

Is there anything else I should consider before I jump into this?

Deadwing
29 April 2015, 04:04
I bought a threaded barrel for my H&K USP9 and it was threaded 13.5x1 LH. The factory threaded barrel on my USP45 Tactical is 16x1 LH. I seem to recall reading or seeing somewhere (might've been in an AAC video on youtube) that the metric thread pitches have an angled shoulder machined into them to get a more solid lock up when the can is threaded on. I'd venture a guess that the metric threads is a German/European thing. That said, the Sig made threaded barrel i bought for my P220 came threaded .578x28, which seems to be the standard pitch for threaded 1911 barrels.

From what i understand, both Sig's and HK's cold hammer forged barrels (and probably Glock, and many others) use some variety of chromoly steel, the exact recipe of which is probably a very closely guarded secret. 416 stainless seems to be the more popular choice for aftermarket barrel makers (including AAC's and Silencerco's line of threaded barrels). Twist rates seem to vary as well. AAC uses a 1:16 twist in all their barrels, where Glock is closer to 1:10 in 9mm, 357, and .40, and almost 1:16 in .45.

Personally, if there is a factory threaded barrel option available, i will most likely buy that as opposed to an aftermarket barrel. Why? Just because i'm OCD that way. I'm sure a lot of aftermarket barrels are very high quality, an may exceed the accuracy of factory barrels in some circumstances. And since i already have a 13.5x1 LH piston for my can, i'll be buying a 1.5x1 LH barrel for my P226 when i get around to buying one.

As for a pistol can, unless you shoot 9mm exclusively i'd consider getting a .45 can. It won't be as quiet when shooting sub-calibers, but you'll be able to use it on a lot more guns.

ETA: Bud's Gun Shops has some crazy good prices on barrels. The factory HK threaded barrel i bought for my USP9 was only $165 with shipping! I've also seen some really good deals on barrels at Midway USA when they put them on "clearance".