PDA

View Full Version : Side charging - what are your feelings?

WHSmithIV
1 May 2015, 03:58
Personally, I'm really on the fence regarding side charging uppers and BCG's. Here in these mountains, we have LOTS of dust and dirt. Kind of like any of the deserts of the world. Dust covers do help keep some of that grit out of the rifle. I certainly do see the functional benefit of a side charging AR, but I'm not so sure that the functional benefit is worth the tradeoff of having the BCG always exposed to dust and grit.

Interested to hear your guys thoughts.

Will

GOST
1 May 2015, 05:00
I like the idea of the ones that don't have a reciprocating handle. The parts run a little more so I don't own one. This one here looks like a good idea.

http://www.xproducts.com/x-15-scu-side-charging-ar-upper

alamo5000
1 May 2015, 05:21
I am doing a T&E on one that Uwone sent me. I will report up something soon. Stay tuned.

SINNER
1 May 2015, 09:20
Novelty. I have a right side (I'm a lefty) charger and it's honestly no better, no worse IMO. I have tons of shotguns and semi's that have reciprocating charging handles and I can not recall ever being hit by one. Been pinched and cut by many a pistol slides but never hear much about them. I do like a fixed charging handle better than a forward assist on a weapon.

GaSwamper
1 May 2015, 11:04
I like em although I dont currently own one. Really would like to try the CMT one but just not in the cards right now I guess. Who makes the one UW put in the T&E?

jetspeed8
1 May 2015, 21:24
I have a couple of Faxon Firearms non-recipracating side charging uppers. One SBR and a regular AR. They are among my favorite AR's. The charging handle is out of the way and operates very efficiently when needed. It is also ambidextrous for you lefties..... I would recommend (at least the Faxon) them..
Good luck with your decisions.

din
1 May 2015, 21:54
I'd like one of the JP or ASA ones, but the price is so far out of my budget it'll probably never happen.

alamo5000
6 May 2015, 09:53
Y'all check out my initial impressions review of the side charger that was sent to me. Lots of pics.