PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions for Ambi Control Users

UDT
1 January 2009, 09:02
For those of you that use ambi Safety, Bolt and Mag release controls.

If you don’t use all three, which ones do you use? And why.
What manufacture do you use?
Are you satisfied with them?
If you have not, would you change anything?

TIA

Stickman
1 January 2009, 12:08
For those of you that use ambi Safety, Bolt and Mag release controls.

TIA

In working departmental training, the guys tend to use the ambi-saftey more than anything else. This is primarily lefty shooters, but a couple guys run them who simply want to have controls on both sides. I've used them, but they get in the way when I am flicking the safety on and off with my strong side, so they are a no-go for me personally.

I know one guy who uses an ambi-mag release, he is also lefty, and he loves it. The Norgon is the only one I'm aware of, and it works pretty well. Again, on a personal note, I have not found a need to install it on any of my own weapons.

The ambi-bolt release is something I have on my POF, and Magpul lower. Its there, its cool, but since its not on my duty weapon, I find that I usually just revert back to my training. I have found that people who are less familiar with weapons, or the AR platform, have a tendency to drop the mag on accident. The first couple times I watched it happen was with a student on the line using my POF as a stand in while another instructor worked on his weapon. It was slightly amusing the first few times, then it grew worrying as this person kept doing it. I pulled the weapon and gave him another so he wouldn't develop poor habits.

I'm not sure that I answered everything, but if there is anything I missed, or you need clarification on, let me know.

UDT
1 January 2009, 13:47
In working departmental training, the guys tend to use the ambi-saftey more than anything else. This is primarily lefty shooters, but a couple guys run them who simply want to have controls on both sides. I've used them, but they get in the way when I am flicking the safety on and off with my strong side, so they are a no-go for me personally.

I know one guy who uses an ambi-mag release, he is also lefty, and he loves it. The Norgon is the only one I'm aware of, and it works pretty well. Again, on a personal note, I have not found a need to install it on any of my own weapons.

The ambi-bolt release is something I have on my POF, and Magpul lower. Its there, its cool, but since its not on my duty weapon, I find that I usually just revert back to my training. I have found that people who are less familiar with weapons, or the AR platform, have a tendency to drop the mag on accident. The first couple times I watched it happen was with a student on the line using my POF as a stand in while another instructor worked on his weapon. It was slightly amusing the first few times, then it grew worrying as this person kept doing it. I pulled the weapon and gave him another so he wouldn't develop poor habits.

I'm not sure that I answered everything, but if there is anything I missed, or you need clarification on, let me know.

Stick,

I appreciate your own personal input to my questions. It is the type of reply that I was looking for. It is hard to beat real world experience when applied to most any question asked.

UDT

Army Chief
1 January 2009, 23:52
As a southpaw firer, I'll wade into these waters just a bit ...

I am presently using (d) None of the above; however, I have used ambidextrous selector levers in the past, and I intend to re-install them on my carbines this year. This is a proven product that offers a very real advantage to the LF rifleman, notwithstanding the "first knuckle" possibilities that have gotten most of us this far with the stock selector.

I have not previously installed a Norgon Ambi-catch, but those too will go into my carbines this year, as they enjoy an excellent reputation, and my need to adhere to a baseline carbine manual of arms will diminish with my next PCS. I'm interested in training with this component, and looking forward to adopting a more conventional reload technique than the usual "high grip strip and exchange" that I'm forced to do now.

I am not aware of any third-party ambidextrous bolt release solutions, as those are typically associated with modified lower receivers (like one of the three Magpul variations). Yes, there are some other prototypes out there, such as the BAD, but that isn't technically an ambi part, and I'm not sure that it would be practical to modify it to become one. Short of getting yourself a tricked billet receiver, I don't believe there is a widely-marketed bolt release solution for the right hand, aside from the familiar "reach around." That works well, of course; it just slows us down somewhat.

There are several vendors in the ambi selector market and I suspect more than a few manufacturers, but as a general rule, I haven't seen that one is markedly better than the next. Others may have a different opinion, but I've not found selector component quality to an issue, whether you buy it from Brownells, RRA, KAC or Bushmaster. In the past, mine were generally RRAs (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=384), as I recall (I would probably stick with the original form factor on this one).

Norgon (http://www.norgon.com) is the only manufacturer of the Ambi-catch (mag release), and given their track record, there is really no reason to look elsewhere. I thought that I actually saw a competing product online a few days ago, but can't think of any reason why it might be worth pursuing, since the Norgon about as robust, elegant and non-obtrusive a solution as one could possibly hope for.

Selectors? Very satisfied, and totally unconcerned with the notion that these might result in negative habit transfer when handling a baseline weapon.

Mag releases? No direct experience, but legions swear by them, and I aim to see what they can do for me. Worst case, you've still got the stock release button on the other side, so this strikes me as a win-win. I'm already accustomed to trigger finger mag releases from the 1911, so my expectations here are high.

Bolt releases? No data, as I don't own a billet receiver. I like the idea, but I'm not sure that isn't going "a bridge too far" in some respects, as we're now talking about adding a host of nonstandard levers and such, which adds complexity and -- as Stick has pointed out -- the potential for the shooter to engage the wrong control at the wrong time without a great deal of training ... in which case, one will likely be left with a legitimate negative habit transfer issue. Keep in mind that even Noveske's (http://www.noveskerifleworks.com) LH carbine (as marketed by Bedrock Industries (http://www.lefthandrifles.com), by agreement) doesn't go as far as to try to include a modified bolt catch -- nor does Stag on their dedicated LH models -- as it's just not that great of a problem for us to do the support hand thing from the "off" side.

I have gone the selector route, and will again.

I can, and will, likely change to the Norgon in the near future.

I will not concern myself over the bolt release issue at this point, barring some miraculous third-party solution which does not yet exist. Some feel that the Redi-Mag II w/BCE (http://www.redi-mag.com/redimagii.php) offers real possibilities here too, but I have not gone that route personally, and I don't know if I will explore it in the future. Perhaps. :)

Chief

UDT
2 January 2009, 06:29
Thanks, Chief

I appreciate you indepth repply, it was very informative as was Stickmans.

UDT