PDA

View Full Version : Reloading by Volume? (Reloading tip)

alamo5000
7 May 2015, 19:51
I am wondering if anyone else has ever tried reloading by volume?

Look at this chart here: (see the link)

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD%27S.pdf

You can find your powder on the chart and behind it you will see a number.

In my case I am reloading 24.3 grains of Varget so it would be .07310 x 24.3= 1.7763 cubic centimeters of Varget= my desired charge.

I have found that a spent .45 case holds a smidgin over the charge I am after. If I dremmel about 1 or 2mm or so off the top of the .45 case I am coming pretty close to nailing the charge most of the time. Just scoop it, level it, and you're right there in the right ball park.

If you are not into extreme accuracy (and even if you are) this is good information to know. You can get easily within very close proximity to your target load.

I haven't quite perfected my scoop yet but even weighing each load one by one to .00 (hundredth's) accuracy I did 100 rounds of match grade ammo in probably 2 hours or so for charging on through seating and crimping.

I still need to get my scoop right and tinker with it a bit, but once I do that I am sure I could get very close with a simple scoop (good enough for general work). If I wasn't concerned with sub moa performance and just wanted general use ammo I am sure I could do twice as much ammo if not more in the same amount of time.

Of course this is considering that your brass is prepared and primed already.

Does anyone else use any kind of similar system to get their cases charged?

What kind of system (if any) do you use to charge your cases and about what is your production rate? Doing it match grade I am pretty sure I can get 50 rounds per hour once I get the system perfected.

alamo5000
7 May 2015, 20:04
On a side note my brass just arrived today [:D]

I ordered 1000 pieces of brand new, same exact head stamped from the same run, of Lake City brass today :P

jymbeux
7 May 2015, 22:23
Hornady lock and load powder drop on a lock and load progressive press.. Production rate of about 150 per hour with spot checks. For pistol production rate goes up a bit, 300+ per hour is easily doable without cutting corners.

alamo5000
8 May 2015, 04:50
Hornady lock and load powder drop on a lock and load progressive press.. Production rate of about 150 per hour with spot checks. For pistol production rate goes up a bit, 300+ per hour is easily doable without cutting corners.

How accurate is the charging with a set up like that? I don't know if I should be phobic about the charge but for now I am.

I ask (and part of the reason for the thread) is so that I can explore other options to reload more rifle and pistol ammo and do it faster.

I might invest in another system if I can find something cool.

Dstrbdmedic167
8 May 2015, 05:24
I use this kit with the double disc drop kit when loading for rifle. I use the disk according to the chart and then take an average of 10. If it's where I want it I load some and test them. If they work and are fairly accurate I roll with it. This is strictly for my plinking don't really care so much about accuracy. I have a hornady charge master for those loads.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press-deluxe-kit

jymbeux
8 May 2015, 08:34
The Hornady setup is as accurate or more accurate than my digital scale. Extruded powders can have some variance, but it is rare to see 0.2 grains of deviation from the settings. If I'm worried about accuracy (hunting loads etc) I have a similar Redding powder measure set up off the press, and I can drop the powder into the pan and weigh every charge. The lock and load progressive excels for pistol and bulk loads. If I'm trying to get the most accuracy possible I slow things down and measure each powder charge, overall length, and utilize a single stage press.

velocity2006
8 May 2015, 09:11
I use the LNL as well, it's excellent. Maybe .05 gn deviation on mine once it's chugging away. I also use a Lee powder drop mounted to my bench that works quite well. I have found with the Lee you want to be consistent with how you are manually throwing the charge, as long as this is done it's probably around .1 gn of deviation.

alamo5000
8 May 2015, 10:09
For this application I might try to use a Lee charger in a pan and adjust it from there weighing each one. I found that a .1 grain difference means sub moa or 2" groups. Right now I am measuring to the hundreths. But if I can start off close I can go.from there.

When I make regular plinking ammo a .1 variance might be way more acceptable. If I can churn out 1000 rounds of plinker ammo in short order that would be good...but to get it really good it appears like I have to just take my time. For my match ammo its one thing but for plinker ammo its another. I think I could do triple the amount per hour if I have a wider tolerance range.