PDA

View Full Version : Score! (I guess) (reloading supplies)

alamo5000
11 May 2015, 21:40
I have been looking for stuff to reload with but finding powders and primers and all that stuff has just been stupid.

Needless to say I am not married to any kind of powder but I wanted to get a big keg of whatever I got and stick with it for a while. I also wanted to get primers and brass and whatever.

Anyway the other day I scored some same exact head stamped (same run) brand new Lake City unfired brass. I picked up 1000 pieces of it. I am tempted to get another 1000.

As for primers the local stores and sellers around here are gouging I think. They want $40 per box of 1000 for CCI #400...once you add up tax and everything it's almost $44.

I did some google-fu and I found some CCI #400 primers that I got--shipped to the door all inclusive for $34 a box... almost $10 cheaper per box than I can get them locally.

As for powder if I hunt around locally I can find the #1 bottles of varget for about $35 out the door. RE15 and the others are all also well over $30 and all they have is the #1 bottles. But my google-fu paid off (I guess) in that I was able to find an #8 jug of Varget to the door for about $220, or about $27 per #1. (Saved about $7 per pound)

I did see that one place has the #8 jug of AR comp in stock but the price on it would have only been $11 cheaper than the varget so I went with what I know. (I would be curious to know more about that powder and if anyone has used it?) I am sure it would be fine but for $11 difference why get an unknown and have to work up another load?

I have a very good supplier of 69 gr SMK that I can get them to the door for about 20 cents each...which I will top off on those soon too.

Which all together for my load this puts me about .33 cents per round (not including the cost of the brass). Not bad for match ammo considering they cost about a buck fifty per shot in the store. .33 cents is cheaper than wal mart ammo, or pretty close to it.

In the end I believe the more ammo the better [:D] But I plan to make at least 1000 rounds of the good stuff to keep on hand, maybe more. I might get another lot of brass and make it 2000 rounds [:D]

For plinker ammo I am undecided if I will reload them myself or if I will just buy a few cases. We shall see. But at the end of the day if I do take the time to reload instead of watching some stupid tv show I can shoot at about a 35% discount on plinker ammo, and I already have plenty of brass for that....