PDA

View Full Version : Any Whiskey connoisseurs? Need help...

SwissyJim
14 May 2015, 16:48
Help.

I need either help finding a certain bottle of Whiskey, or recommendations for a stellar bottle. My nephew, for the second time, has given me a gift I can never repay him for... more time with my furry companion(s). The first time was sitting with our girl at the vets over 2 days, hand feeding her steak and salmon while we hurried home from Hawaii to say goodbye, which we were barely able to do. Without his help, we would have missed the chance. This time it's been staying at our house and assisting with getting the old man up and down the stairs to go outside, which he is unable to do on his own (use the stairs on his own, that is). Since I work 24 hour shifts, and my wife cannot assist him on the stairs due to her health issues, he has extended his life with us. I'm grateful beyond belief, as my dogs mean more to me than pretty much anything I have. Without his help, we would have already had to have said goodbye to him.

The last time, with our girl, I got him a bottle Glenlivet 21 year old, since he likes good Whiskey. I know he really wants to try the Yamazaki Sherry Cask 2013 (http://www.japanese-whisky.com/about-whisky/awards/yamazaki-sherry-cask-2013-best-whisky-world-according-whisky-bible-2015) since it was labeled 'Best Whiskey 2015'- but that's the problem... it's sold out everywhere due to that award. The only ones I have found are at auction sites, and they're going for over $1k - retail was $150! The local stores never carried it and no one can order it here.

I sold a hunting scope of mine to fund this wish... I have up to $500 to spend.

If anyone knows how/where to get the Yamazaki, I'd more than make it worth the effort. Beside paying for the bottle and shipping, I'll in return send a freezer box full of salmon, halibut, and shrimp caught on my boat, plus smoked salmon and my infamous smoked salmon spread. And to top it off, a chunk of glacier ice pulled from the waters of Alaska to cut up and put in your drinks. Some of it could be as old as 10,000 years old. Pure and clean - it's awesome in drinks! Just don't try to blender it for margaritas - I ruined some blender blades trying to do so as it's dense stuff.

Otherwise, recommendations for an epic bottle of Whiskey would be great... I'll see which of them I can get locally and get it to him.

UWone77
15 May 2015, 17:03
Jim,

I'm not Whiskey Connoisseur, but a friend turned me onto Wiser's awhile back, pretty good in my opinion. Not sure where it ranks in terms of a "stellar" bottle.

GOST
15 May 2015, 17:19
I'll check the stores in my area. My current favorite whiskey is Basil Hayden.

WHSmithIV
15 May 2015, 18:05
There are some excellent whiskies. I've had most of the single malts from Scotland. I'd recommend Lagavulin 16 if you can find it. It runs around $100 a bottle. You can order whiskey on-line to be shippied to Alaska. Some states it can be shipped to, others not. Alaska is a state that can be shipped to. Laphroaig is another excellent songle malt at around $200 a bottle for the 15 year old vintage. They also have 18 year old Yamazaki on the site at $178 a bottle.

You can order single malts from here:

http://www.lovescotch.com/

SwissyJim
15 May 2015, 18:12
Thanks... I got some recommendations on my cigar board, and just in time. My nephew just got his 'report for training' email, will be leaving in 3 weeks. And, probably not coming back here in the near future. So... ordered this direct from the UK for him:
https://thewhiskybarrel.r.worldssl.net/images/published/3/sources/products/product/3116/glendronach-24yo-grandeur.jpg (https://www.thewhiskybarrel.com/glendronach-24-year-old-grandeur-batch-6-whiskey-scotland)

Sadly, when he leaves for Miami we'll have to make 'the choice' on my bud... or find some in home care for him on the days I work. But in all honesty, as much as it pains me, it's about his time. *sob*

(Also, forget the Yamazaki - I mean, if someone finds it the deal is still on, but the Whiskey Guru on my cigar board (has over 400 bottles and counting!) says it will never be found, much less for less that the $500)

There are some excellent whiskies. I've had most of the single malts from Scotland. I'd recommend Lagavulin 16 if you can find it. It runs around $100 a bottle. You can order whiskey on-line to be shippied to Alaska. Some states it can be shipped to, others not. Alaska is a state that can be shipped to. Laphroaig is another excellent songle malt at around $200 a bottle for the 15 year old vintage. They also have 18 year old Yamazaki on the site at $178 a bottle.

You can order single malts from here:

http://www.lovescotch.com/
Thanks Will... I actually have the Lagavulin 16 in my cabinet! (Gotta love Costco...$75)
I forgot to mention, he's not an Islay/peaty fan. The local store has the 18yo Yamazaki, but I wanted to do something unique and 'epic'. The guru on my cigar board said he's dead is this Glendronach doesn't wow him. And some places do not ship to AK... believe me, I've run into it. We have areas that are totally dry and some online places make no effort to differentiate zip codes for dry and wet status. And thanks for the link... got that bookmarked now! They don't list the Grandeur 24, but have others I'll be interested in later.

Ordnance
15 May 2015, 18:25
If you can find someone in Ireland, they can go to the Bushmill's Distillery and get a bottle of the Distillery Reserve that has his name on the bottle.

GOST
15 May 2015, 18:31
My favorite Scotch is Dalmore, it's really good but I wouldn't call it epic.

SwissyJim
15 May 2015, 18:48
If you can find someone in Ireland, they can go to the Bushmill's Distillery and get a bottle of the Distillery Reserve that has his name on the bottle.
Holy Crap how awesome would that be!

My favorite Scotch is Dalmore, it's really good but I wouldn't call it epic.
Thanks... just trying to WoW him as much as I can for what he's done - epic or not, I'm sure he'd be happy with anything. He's not expecting anything, as he keeps saying it's been mutually beneficial since he's been living with us since Jan 1st, waiting to get this interview. Helping out with Porter has been something for him to help pass the time, and to repay us for living here. I've refused every dollar he's tried to give me for food, my beer that he drinks, etc... since my furry bud is still here mostly due to his being around to help. Now I can't wait for this to arrive and give it to him. With any luck, I'll get a taste! LOL

GOST
15 May 2015, 19:09
Jim you keep this up and I'm gonna end up moving in with you.

SwissyJim
15 May 2015, 19:38
Jim you keep this up and I'm gonna end up moving in with you.

LOL as long as you know the pecking order:
- Old Man Porter
- Youngster Ruby
- my 'toys' (guns, boat, cigars, etc)
- My wife
- Myself
- freeloaders

of course my wife thinks even the animals that have passed on are above her on the list! [:D]

Dstrbdmedic167
15 May 2015, 19:55
I like Canadian Whiskey... Fourty Creek has been my go to for a while. Smoother and cheaper than Crown reserve for less...

Ordnance
15 May 2015, 20:28
Holy Crap how awesome would that be!

I have a bottle. The person who gave it to me said they can only be had at the distillery, but you might try contacting the distillery and asking if you can purchase online.

http://www.bushmills.com/BMTheOldBushmillsTwelveYear.html

Deadwing
16 May 2015, 03:25
That Glendronach looks amazing. I've got a love for all things whisky (or whiskey even [BD]). One of the best i've ever had was a Springbank 21yo single malt. I found one bottle of that years ago (and it cost me dearly), but was worth every last cent. Their 15 yo expression is just about as good. Not quite as refined as the 21, but tough to beat. I had a dram of Balvenie Port Wood 21 Yr at a friends place a few weeks back, and it ranks in the top five malts i've tasted.

Former11B
17 May 2015, 04:23
I'm curious how to get some glacier ice. How much does it cost to ship something in a cooler with dry ice? Probably not a unique request in Alaska with all the seafood and other things that are harvested there

SwissyJim
17 May 2015, 12:44
hmmm, well I never had shipped the ice. I've done LOTS of boxes of my smoked salmon to friends and family, but they were always done 2nd day air. I would think the ice would need to be overnighted. I'll have to check the regs as I know using dry ice complicates things due to the off gassing. If you really are interested,I can look into it and on my next trip out I'll make sure to grab a small berg. I'm even ordered a log grabber thingy to make it easier to get them in the boat.

Hmac
17 May 2015, 17:30
If he likes scotch, can't really go wrong with a bottle of 18 year-old MacAllan. That's been my go-to gift of appreciation for a decade.

SwissyJim
29 May 2015, 12:44
well, it's here. Porter will give it to my nephew this afternoon. With any luck, I'll get a taste!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/165145882/Misc/Grandeur.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/165145882/Misc/Grandeur1.jpg

but... it's a gift. He can pour it down the toilet if he so chooses (but I know he would never even think of doing that!)

GOST
29 May 2015, 12:48
You're making me thirsty.

Ji Rimer
3 June 2015, 01:28
Hi, I'm not an alcoholic drinker. I heard from my husband that it will still be "Bourbon" at its best for a stellar bottle.