PDA

View Full Version : Aero precision .308 Build help

Kopis
20 May 2015, 08:33
WEVO'ers (made up word),

I picked up an AP M5E1 16" upper on their sale last week along with one of their enhanced lowers and LPK. I've built several AR15s previously but never an AR10. I understand there isn't as much standarization in the AR10 world. I have an 18" AR but Im looking to get consistent in the 400-600 yard range with this gun. It will have a sightron 6-24 scope.

I've seen some mixed things on the AP M5 upper so i hope all is well there but assuming it is, here is what I am looking at:

BCG-I've read a bazillion things on these things. apparently one company makes the AIM, Radical and possibly WMD NiB 308 BCGs. They're just OK. I've left a message for Cryptic Coatings about getting one of theirToolcraft coated BCGs in black since the gun is going to be FDE. I replaced a few of my other AR BCGs with Lantac's lately and love how easy they are to clean so I definitely want to stay coated here. Nothing about $300 so that kicks out the JP.

CH-Wanting a BCM Mod 4, i read somewhere that there was an issue with it fitting on the m5 upper but could be fixed by dremeling down two bumps on the CH. other guy said it worked fine in the M5 upper.

Buffer Tube-just looking at an anderson manufacturering 308 kit from Primary Arms, eventually would like a JP silent capture which i have on a few other guns

Trigger-Geissele two stage, either the SSA two stage or SSA-E. I've read the SSA-E may be too light for a 308, any insight there?

Stock-probably dont want a PRS because it's a 16" gun and would like it be a little smaller, looking at the magpul ACS or Vltor. ALways liked MP stuff, cheekweld looks good on the ACS and the bottom angle looks solid for grip with opposite hand.

Any other advice on this build guys?

SINNER
20 May 2015, 09:27
Look at the Rainier Arms BCG. It's a very nice BCG for the price.

No issues with any of the name brand triggers having enough hammer energy but I shoot almost 0 milsurp ammo. The hard primers cause the issues.

I think the .308's run better with a rifle length buffer tube and buffer. I have 2 set up with AR15 tubes and the shorty .308 carbine buffers and I feel the are not as smooth running.

Kopis
20 May 2015, 09:44
So you would recommend a regular AR15 buffer tube/buffer or the 308 version? Im not really sure what the difference in them is...

UWone77
20 May 2015, 09:54
So you would recommend a regular AR15 buffer tube/buffer or the 308 version? Im not really sure what the difference in them is...

You can use a .308 buffer spring with a .308 buffer in an AR15 receiver extension.

http://www.rainierarms.com/dpms-308-carbine-buffer-spring

http://www.rainierarms.com/buffer-308-carbine-buffer

UWone77
20 May 2015, 09:56
Look at the Rainier Arms BCG. It's a very nice BCG for the price.

No issues with any of the name brand triggers having enough hammer energy but I shoot almost 0 milsurp ammo. The hard primers cause the issues.

I think the .308's run better with a rifle length buffer tube and buffer. I have 2 set up with AR15 tubes and the shorty .308 carbine buffers and I feel the are not as smooth running.

But I agree with this... Rifle length tubes on a 308 runs and feels smoother. I went with carbine AR15 receiver extensions for my 2 16" .308 builds to keep them compact, but rifle length for the others.

Kopis
20 May 2015, 10:56
Hmm, i may just slap on an a2 stock if that's the case...

UWone77
20 May 2015, 14:17

Personally, if you're going with say an 18" barrel or longer, an A2 extension is really the only way to go for a .308

Former11B
20 May 2015, 14:32
I don't think an SSA-E is too light. Just utilize the reset and otherwise don't booger-hook it unnecessarily and you'll be fine. A lighter (and smooth) trigger on a precision gun is much more preferable to me. FYI: I use an SSA-E and love it

I also have an ACS stock and highly recommend it. PRS stocks move the cheek to a designated position and I see shooters compensating for that causing mistakes in other areas. You won't be disappointed by the ACS

Kopis
21 May 2015, 07:12
Former11b,

great info, thanks. I have the SSA on my 223 long range so if the SSA-E ends up being too light for the heavier recoil i can just swap it. Im afraid ill want another SSA-E for my 223.

Naytwan
16 February 2016, 18:28
I have an SSA-E in my M5E1 and it's perfect in my opinion. Not to light at all. Feels right at home in that rifle.

alamo5000
16 February 2016, 18:50
Im looking to get consistent in the 400-600 yard range with this gun. It will have a sightron 6-24 scope.

I have no advice on the build itself. I've never built an AR10 but I am fairly familiar with the .308 in general. If all you want is 4-600 yards that will be a breeze. You can do that with no problem at all with any half decent ammo. You won't need a long barrel for that either.

Keep that in mind because you can easily get away with a shorter barrel which would have some benefits.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1592/25051826106_f4fe825e98_o.jpg

Big_Tom
18 December 2016, 12:34

Hi

Look at a A5 style tube and use AR10 spring with a H3 buffer.

That's how Armalite sets up their carbines and KAC has a kit just for this with an ACS stock included.