PDA

View Full Version : DIY-Building a Titanium Suppressor at Home

GOST
20 May 2015, 17:09
I don't how many of you keep up with Ben at www.AR15News.com, but I recommend that you do. Here is a link to one of his new articles on building a suppressor at home:

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/SD-Tactical-Arms-Titanium-Suppressor-Build-1.jpg

http://www.ar15news.com/2015/05/20/diy-building-titanium-suppressor-home-components/

GaSwamper
20 May 2015, 18:51
It's a very enjoyable project for anyone familiar with common shop tools.

Txfilmmaker
20 May 2015, 19:01
I don't how many of you keep up with Ben at www.AR15News.com, but I recommend that you do. Here is a link to one of his new articles on building a suppressor at home:

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/SD-Tactical-Arms-Titanium-Suppressor-Build-1.jpg

http://www.ar15news.com/2015/05/20/diy-building-titanium-suppressor-home-components/

Eric at Coyote Rifle Works showed me the one he was working on. I got to meet him when I picked up my upper. Looks like a cool project. He is a nice guy and sharp too. If you build one, Coyote is a great place to get your "Trust."

toolboxluis00200
20 May 2015, 19:07
Love to have the tools to make my own

JHoward
20 May 2015, 19:20
A buddy of mine just made one. This will be my first NFA item.

GOST
20 May 2015, 19:26
Eric at Coyote Rifle Works showed me the one he was working on. I got to meet him when I picked up my upper. Looks like a cool project. He is a nice guy and sharp too. If you build one, Coyote is a great place to get your "Trust."

Eric was extremely helpful with my trust. His customer service is incredible. I called his shop and didn't get an answer, he called me back a couple of minutes later. I highly recommend Coyote Rifleworks.

SINNER
20 May 2015, 19:32
Eric was extremely helpful with my trust. His customer service is incredible. I called his shop and didn't get an answer, he called me back a couple of minutes later. I highly recommend Coyote Rifleworks.

Great service is a fact.

Paid for my trust around 10 at night and had it a few hours later.

JHoward
20 May 2015, 19:57
While you guys are here. How much money should I have ready before I call Coyote? I want to get whatever it takes for me to submit for the stamp, so I know I need $200, and the Coyote website says $95, so that's $300 total, plus whatever I need for whatever suppressor. I will call them to get all of my specifics ironed out, but I'd like to have the money ready ahead of time and not be surprised. Does the can go to an FFL or?

alamo5000
20 May 2015, 20:02

Same experience here. And when I was signing all the docs we had questions and so forth so I called him and got a return call a very short time later to help walk me through it.

+1 on Coyote.

It was so easy.

GOST
20 May 2015, 20:03
If you are building the suppressor like shown you will be doing a Form 1 since you will be the manufacturer. $295 is what you'll need for the trust from Coyote Rifleworks and stamp.

alamo5000
20 May 2015, 20:06
While you guys are here. How much money should I have ready before I call Coyote? I want to get whatever it takes for me to submit for the stamp, so I know I need $200, and the Coyote website says $95, so that's $300 total, plus whatever I need for whatever suppressor. I will call them to get all of my specifics ironed out, but I'd like to have the money ready ahead of time and not be surprised. Does the can go to an FFL or?

The tax stamp is a totally different thing. Just get $95 bucks or whatever the price is and get the trust set up. Once you get the paperwork you will need to get all the concerned parties together in front of a notary. That was my biggest issue was rounding everyone up to get in front of the notary at the same time. You will need to fund the trust. I put $5 in mine, but you can do whatever you need to in order to get it done.

I have never filed a form 1 so that is out of my area, but after doing my trust I can tell you that in the end it's very easy (to do the trust).

GOST
20 May 2015, 20:10
The Form 1 is also very easy.

alamo5000
20 May 2015, 20:21
The Form 1 is also very easy.

Are you tempting me again to SBR my lower? ;)

GOST
20 May 2015, 20:22
Yes, everyone needs one.

GaSwamper
21 May 2015, 02:49

Depends on how you want to build the suppressor, choice of parts can make the cost go up or down a little. I'd set about 500 aside for the whole deal, maybe alittle more. No FFL involved since you are the builder but you can not start drilling holes till approved.

Dstrbdmedic167
21 May 2015, 03:55
Yes, everyone needs TEN.

Fixed it for you...

GOST
21 May 2015, 05:19
Thanks, I'll blame it on Auto-Correct.

SINNER
21 May 2015, 06:16
I got a chance to look at these in a little more detail last night. No thanks. I just do not see a can based on the thread engagement of a flashlight to be dependable or safe. I can only imagine the carnage of a baffle strike on a thin walled tube full of freeze plugs would create also.

GaSwamper
21 May 2015, 07:31
I got a chance to look at these in a little more detail last night. No thanks. I just do not see a can based on the thread engagement of a flashlight to be dependable or safe. I can only imagine the carnage of a baffle strike on a thin walled tube full of freeze plugs would create also.

Holds up fine to me. Ti is pretty dam tough.

toolboxluis00200
21 May 2015, 08:20
Yes, everyone needs one.

I have one 😁

Txfilmmaker
21 May 2015, 09:17
Are you tempting me again to SBR my lower? ;)

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slippers
21 May 2015, 09:38
Does it specify what grade Ti they're using for all the different parts? Some of the lower grades are weaker than 7075 aluminum.

The first baffle is going to take a beating, too. I wonder what kind of stainless steel the freeze plugs are made of.

I could see doing one of these for a .22 can, but I'd want a fully welded baffle stack and a beefed up blast baffle for 5.56 and 7.62.

UWone77
21 May 2015, 09:54
Does it specify what grade Ti they're using for all the different parts? Some of the lower grades are weaker than 7075 aluminum.

The first baffle is going to take a beating, too. I wonder what kind of stainless steel the freeze plugs are made of.

I could see doing one of these for a .22 can, but I'd want a fully welded baffle stack and a beefed up blast baffle for 5.56 and 7.62.

100% agree. For a centerfire can, I wanted a fully welded core.

Nice novelty, and for a .22 or pistol caliber, it would be fun to do.

SINNER
21 May 2015, 10:36

Freeze plugs are made from poor quality stainless. That's intended because they need to be malleable. Most are ferritic stainless.

Slippers
21 May 2015, 10:57
Yikes, then. Heck, now that I think about it, I wouldn't even make one of these for .22. It's the same price to purchase a good .22 can from any number of manufacturers.

GaSwamper
21 May 2015, 12:27
Yall worry too much. Tell ya what get some of the Ti stuff and try to drill or cut, and with cutting fluids. How many f1 cans you hear about blowing up?

Slippers
21 May 2015, 12:49
When it comes to firearms I will stick to being cautious first, always. :)

GaSwamper
21 May 2015, 12:58
When it comes to firearms I will stick to being cautious first, always. :)

Oh I fully agree, but remember we've been trusting a relatively thin Alum. receiver and buffer tube to contain a steel bar flying back in front of our face for years.

Slippers
21 May 2015, 14:40
Oh I fully agree, but remember we've been trusting a relatively thin Alum. receiver and buffer tube to contain a steel bar flying back in front of our face for years.

I want to make it clear that I'm not slamming you or anyone that wants to build their own suppressor. It's fun to make things. This is one of the reasons that I started Arisaka. If you want to make your can, by-all-means, go for it.

With that said I would like to stress the importance of being safe, testing things in a controlled environment, and not just blindly following someone else's instructions on the internet.

The receiver extension and buffer, and the way they function during each complete cycle of the rifle, really cannot be compared to the pressure, heat, and violence of what is happening at the muzzle end. The receiver extension and related parts of an AR15 were designed with a specific set of goals in mind, which they meet in terms of function and materials. The receiver extension isn't pressurized each shot by expanding gasses, which is why it is made out of 7075 aluminum. There is no risk that it will rupture. Even when someone loads a .300 blackout round in a 5.56mm barrel and ka-booms their rifle, the receiver extension manages to contain the buffer.

A suppressor is dealing with pressures measured in thousands of pounds per square inch, extreme heat, and abrasion that eats away hardened stainless steel and other exotic alloys. Most centerfire rifle suppressors are effectively double-walled because they have a welded baffle stack which is then inserted inside another steel tube. The most durable suppressors rated to handle full-automatic fire generally do not use titanium, either.

If I was building my own suppressor I would not choose flashlight tubes and automotive freeze plugs, and I'd probably avoid Ti as well.

GaSwamper
21 May 2015, 14:58
I want to make it clear that I'm not slamming you or anyone that wants to build their own suppressor. It's fun to make things. This is one of the reasons that I started Arisaka. If you want to make your can, by-all-means, go for it.

With that said I would like to stress the importance of being safe, testing things in a controlled environment, and not just blindly following someone else's instructions on the internet.

The receiver extension and buffer, and the way they function during each complete cycle of the rifle, really cannot be compared to the pressure, heat, and violence of what is happening at the muzzle end. The receiver extension and related parts of an AR15 were designed with a specific set of goals in mind, which they meet in terms of function and materials. The receiver extension isn't pressurized each shot by expanding gasses, which is why it is made out of 7075 aluminum. There is no risk that it will rupture. Even when someone loads a .300 blackout round in a 5.56mm barrel and ka-booms their rifle, the receiver extension manages to contain the buffer.

A suppressor is dealing with pressures measured in thousands of pounds per square inch, extreme heat, and abrasion that eats away hardened stainless steel and other exotic alloys. Most centerfire rifle suppressors are effectively double-walled because they have a welded baffle stack which is then inserted inside another steel tube. The most durable suppressors rated to handle full-automatic fire generally do not use titanium, either.

If I was building my own suppressor I would not choose flashlight tubes and automotive freeze plugs, and I'd probably avoid Ti as well.
I know ya not slamming, I really just threw the receiver thing out to stir ya up.[BD] Although I wouldn't really call the tubes and parts flashlight parts, yes this is how it started but the parts I worked with are pretty nice. And no mine wouldn't actually thread into a flashlight. I like titanium for high pressure and heat, I've worked a good bit with it in aviation, we use it to deflect jet blast.

Slippers
21 May 2015, 15:07
I know ya not slamming, I really just threw the receiver thing out to stir ya up.[BD] Although I wouldn't really call the tubes and parts flashlight parts, yes this is how it started but the parts I worked with are pretty nice. And no mine wouldn't actually thread into a flashlight. I like titanium for high pressure and heat, I've worked a good bit with it in aviation, we use it to deflect jet blast.

There's a reason almost every Ti suppressor on the market is not rated for full-auto. They can't handle the heat.

SINNER
21 May 2015, 15:16
There are much better choices than Titanium such as inconel and high tungsten content stellite.

And it's a pretty wide variation between the different alloys of titanium. Do they divulge the alloy used?

GaSwamper
21 May 2015, 16:14
Well for myself I don't shoot full auto, I don't plan any magdumps, I mostly hunt with my stuff so maybe some fast shots at a sounder but not many. The problem with some of your fancier materials cost, availability, and weight, what they use in light cans like the Omega I have no idea cause it's pretty light, what grade is SD Ti I don't know. I do know I 've got about 100 rounds of 277 through mine with no problem, took apart and cleaned to measure the bore holes of my freeze plugs and check the interior of the Ti. Both have no change or damage at this point.

usmcvet
18 August 2015, 20:02
The tax stamp is a totally different thing. Just get $95 bucks or whatever the price is and get the trust set up. Once you get the paperwork you will need to get all the concerned parties together in front of a notary. That was my biggest issue was rounding everyone up to get in front of the notary at the same time. You will need to fund the trust. I put $5 in mine, but you can do whatever you need to in order to get it done.

I have never filed a form 1 so that is out of my area, but after doing my trust I can tell you that in the end it's very easy (to do the trust).

Why are you funding the Trust? Did you open a bank account for the purpose? Mine owns SBR's and will own some Cans soon too now that they're legal in VT.

alamo5000
18 August 2015, 20:28
Why are you funding the Trust? Did you open a bank account for the purpose? Mine owns SBR's and will own some Cans soon too now that they're legal in VT.

Because they told me to. :)

No, I didn't do a bank account. I just had to have other people witness me (and sign as such) that I was putting something into the trust. Again I only did it that way because the guys at Coyote said so.

BC98
19 August 2015, 08:17

I believe that in some states a trust is not legally valid until it is funded (i.e. has something in the Schedule A). For instance, mine was initially funded with $10.

Coyote Rifleworks
25 August 2015, 13:40

Funding your trust - adding something of worth as an asset owned by the trust - is one of the requirements for your trust to be valid. Adding firearms as assets to the trust will suffice to fund the trust, but we recommend using a single form of US Currency (such as a $1 or $5 bill) for the initial asset and using that particular Assignment Sheet when filing for your tax stamp applications. By listing your firearms as initial assets, and then sending that complete list in with your application, you are creating a de-facto registration of your firearms to a central government, and many wish to keep that information private.

The best practice would be to keep your updated Assignment sheet along with your original signatures of your trust in a safe location, and keep multiple copies of the documents that can be taken when traveling with your firearms, and a digital copy of the original with the single initial asset of your trust for any and all tax stamp applications that can simply be re-printed and submitted.

For those of you who have utilized our services, we thank you very much, and we truly appreciate all the recommendations. We have made some recent changes, the most exciting of which is bringing Clay Bonilla on board as our attorney and offering a Premium NFA Trust with access to legal advice, strategy, defense, and the ability to customize the document to suit your individual needs for the introductory price of only $169. Existing customers may also upgrade their trust to the premium version, which contains several changes to different sections of the document, as well as all the other benefits mentioned.

We still have our $95 Do-It-Yourself NFA Trust, and as always, we remain committed to our customer service and helping get as many people involved in NFA ownership as possible. Should any of you have any questions, feel free to call or email us any time.

Our Form 1 was just approved to build a suppressor using the components shown above (we are very good friends with Ben at AR15News and this is a project we are collaborating on), and we are going to be making a full writeup of the process very soon.

tact
25 August 2015, 13:48
Yes..I use the same dollar bill every time.

SINNER
26 August 2015, 08:46
Yes..I use the same dollar bill every time.

?? You only need to do it once per trust. Once you have real property with a serial number entered into the trust it's legal. The whole legality issue of the trust is only in question when you file for the first item. By the letter of the law, it would not be a valid trust until the first item is entered. So therefore filing for a tax stamp without an item in the trust would mean you have a trust that is not legal until that first item is approved.

tact
26 August 2015, 09:03
?? You only need to do it once per trust. Once you have real property with a serial number entered into the trust it's legal. The whole legality issue of the trust is only in question when you file for the first item. By the letter of the law, it would not be a valid trust until the first item is entered. So therefore filing for a tax stamp without an item in the trust would mean you have a trust that is not legal until that first item is approved.

I guess what I meant was that I've never updated the stupid addendum or changed it with each successive stamp purchase. I get what you are saying, but that whole issue is just stupid anyway.