PDA

View Full Version : Forward Controls Design EMR-A

GOST
21 May 2015, 02:19
EMR-A = Enhanced Magazine Release - Ambidextrous?

Duffy
21 May 2015, 08:36
GOST, indeed it is :)
I was trying to find a cool name for it, then decided to keep it simple, like other product names that are simply product description, in keeping with the simple and direct approach to everything we do, without flashy presentation and graphics.

The EMR-A is a joint venture with a like-minded company that for now will remain anonymous. We redesigned couple of things, most of the effort went into the lever/mag release itself. Without getting into greater detail, which will be disclosed on our website, in the Design in Focus section, the focus was on making the lever/release easy to use, and mitigate the difficulty of accessing the bolt catch's bottom paddle.

Though bolt catches like our ABC/R and other aftermarket bolt catches feature a taller profile bottom paddle, most users still use the factory bolt catch. So the EMR-A is designed to make accessing the factory bolt catch's bottom paddle easier., so that by installing a retrofit ambi mag catch, one doesn't lose the ability to use his bolt catch's bottom paddle.

More info to come :D

velocity2006
21 May 2015, 08:41
I have your parts on my new pistol build and they are excellent. If these look as good as your other products I'll be picking one up.

Duffy
21 May 2015, 09:17
Thank you. Wish the SCAR components went as smoothly lol.

velocity2006
21 May 2015, 09:20
Well if you want to donate a SCAR I will gladly buy some of your parts. :)

I would assume there are 10 AR owners for every 1 SCAR owner, which may be part of the problem.

Duffy
21 May 2015, 09:31
We're doing something that hasn't been done before on the SCAR, so there are some new found shortcomings we discovered in the prototype that are being redesigned.

SCARs are not nearly as easy to work on as the AR, FN really should have learned something from the AR in that regard.

SINNER
21 May 2015, 10:46
Yay on the mag release and boo on the SCAR components causing issues.

AaronP220
21 May 2015, 11:10
Roger,
Is the EMR-A going to be another magazine release button or are you doing something along the lines of the excellent Norgon ambi release?

Duffy
21 May 2015, 13:31
Aaron, A in the EMR-A stands for ambidextrous ;)

GOST
3 June 2015, 10:31
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/l/t1.0-9/10012600_389245531277182_9204780532628709705_n.jpg ?oh=d921995f932e140feb819213ff692b0a&oe=56097E06

adam_s
3 June 2015, 17:52
I'm all of a sudden really glad that I didn't snag those ambi-catches from other firms for a few of my builds. Just like everything else Roger & crew make, I'm sure this will knock things out of the bloody well park. I'm still a wee bit gobsmacked at how intuitive the EMR button is, and how well it just WORKS on my rifles. If it weren't for the fact I've got two A-DAC equipped lowers SBR'ed...all my rifles would have EMR's. I've actually pondered ordering a few EMR's, and taking a file to them, to see if I can adapt them to the A-DAC pin...

Aragorn
3 June 2015, 18:02
...If it weren't for the fact I've got two A-DAC equipped lowers SBR'ed...all my rifles would have EMR's. I've actually pondered ordering a few EMR's, and taking a file to them, to see if I can adapt them to the A-DAC pin...

I feel ya. I'd have snagged an EMR and a mag release if they were comparable with my Umbrella lower. Read: A-DAC

adam_s
4 June 2015, 15:08
I feel ya. I'd have snagged an EMR and a mag release if they were comparable with my Umbrella lower. Read: A-DAC

Now, the bolt catch is tricky, as it's contoured odd on the inside for A-DAC compatibility. I don't think that you could readily adapt a different one to work. The magazine release button though is a totally different story. If you pull your A-DAC mag release button, you'll see a chamfer on the top and bottom. I THINK you could pretty easily file that chamfer into an EMR.

I'm not saying I've done it, nor am I encouraging anyone to do it...but...aliens. ;)

Duffy
30 June 2015, 08:04
Guys, while I won't make an A-DAC compatible button, it doesn't preclude Forward Controls partners from making them :P

We've been thinking about that direction ever since the EMRs came out, and it's our intention to see it through.

Meanwhile, if y'all wanna butcher up an EMR or EMR-C to play with the A-DAC feature, please send me an email and I'll send you some blemished units to play with, no strings attached [:D]

titanse05
30 June 2015, 11:14
I need some blems to butcher. I'm saving the one I bought for my wife's build since it won't adac. :)

Duffy
30 June 2015, 13:33
No problem, please email me and I'll get that squared away :D

titanse05
25 July 2015, 16:02
I wish I had time to tinker with the blems you sent me. I have been too busy with work and my family to mod. :)

adam_s
26 July 2015, 20:25
I have the blems, and the testing done. Just a matter of taking photos, and writing it up. Also need to order several of these for rifles I'm building for my nieces....

Anyways...about that EMR-A... Can you share any more about it yet?

GOST
26 July 2015, 20:37
I've been using some of the blem EMR's for a little bit and I really like them. The concave fits the finger perfectly, one of the best affordable upgrades there is. I highly recommend the EMR's.

Dstrbdmedic167
26 July 2015, 20:52
I need to email Roger. Need an EMR/EMR-C for the umbrella...

Duffy
29 July 2015, 08:50
roger@starsforward.com

:D

I'm still waiting for the EMR-A to get quoted, the design is finalized [bash]

cjd3
29 March 2017, 13:06
Saw the Sneak Peek on FB. Looks great! Can't wait to give it a try and compare to the Troy and HVA.