PDA

View Full Version : Sig MPX

Dave Timm
21 May 2015, 16:03
Hey Guys,

I finally received an actual MPX in my hands. Currently it is a pistol but will be going through the form 1 process and becoming an Sbr. I have an upcoming video review series in the works but wanted to see if anyone has any questions being its a new platform.

So far initial observations are that appears to be a very well made firearm, really like a mini AR in 9mm. It has a forged lower that is mostly AR but made for the 9mm magazine. It uses a smaller carrier and two recoil springs on rods versus the traditional spring and buffer. Once I get a stick it is very close in size to a standard MP5. Sig says it is a new generation of subgun but it took a long time to come to the market. I, and many others, were worried it would be vaporware.

Please feel free to ask questions. I will also post the review as it goes, there will be atleast 3 parts.
1. Overview, tear down and technical info
2. Shooting tests as a pistol, annunition tests
3. Shooting and handling as an SBR
4. maybe - with a suppressor if MN passes new legislation

Thanks, Dave

UWone77
21 May 2015, 17:05
Initially, I thought about getting a Pistol and Form 1'ing one, but are they any stock kits available? Readily available is more of the question.

Decided to wait for a MPX SBR instead.

Let us know how it goes!

VIPER 237
21 May 2015, 18:23
I really like the MPX but the price of mags sucks. Ugh

Dave Timm
21 May 2015, 22:27
My sig rep says stocks will be available as they know people will want them for SBRs. I haven't received a stock yet but I will keep you updated. As far as the mags go yeah I know, real price for LE appears to be about $50 so takes a little sting out. I'm just hoping it runs like they say it will. We just shot part 1 of the review which is the technical stuff, parts, take down etc and it will cover a lot. Definitely won't be a short video :-). For those interested in the platform and want to see under the hood and what makes up the MPX, and if you have some free time, I think you'll like the video. I'll post it soon.

BoilerUp
22 May 2015, 05:47
I'd like to see some information on the dimensions of the upper and lower receivers as compared to a standard AR set. I've read comment along the lines of "I can build a 9mm AR for half that price", but am pretty sure the MPX receiver set is quite a bit smaller (shorter in the mag well at a minimum) and "right sized" for PCC, making a 9mm AR kind of like building up an AR10 to shoot 5.56.

voodoo_man
22 May 2015, 06:47
want!

Dave Timm
22 May 2015, 06:58
I'd like to see some information on the dimensions of the upper and lower receivers as compared to a standard AR set. I've read comment along the lines of "I can build a 9mm AR for half that price", but am pretty sure the MPX receiver set is quite a bit smaller (shorter in the mag well at a minimum) and "right sized" for PCC, making a 9mm AR kind of like building up an AR10 to shoot 5.56.

I completely agree, it is like a dedicated AR 9mm lower. The forged lower is a very nice piece that was purpose built for the round rather than take a 556 lower and use the block. I didn't do a lot of detailed measurements in the first video but I think it will give you an idea how it is size wise. Great suggestion that I will add to the list. Thanks!

Kopis
22 May 2015, 13:27
no pics????????????????????

Dave Timm
22 May 2015, 20:35
no pics????????????????????

trying to upload about 70,000 :-) Video was about 38 minutes long so not for the faint of heart but we tear down the MPX for all to see.

Ill post in the video review section when the video is published.

UWone77
22 May 2015, 21:26
trying to upload about 70,000 :-) Video was about 38 minutes long so not for the faint of heart but we tear down the MPX for all to see.

Ill post in the video review section when the video is published.

For an overview of a new gun/platform, I think I'll be sure to watch all 38 minutes.

Dave Timm
23 May 2015, 15:17
For an overview of a new gun/platform, I think I'll be sure to watch all 38 minutes.

You have more patience than my wife :-) Editing down to about 34 minutes. We go over a lot but I wanted to cover the platform as I haven't seen another video cover what we have yet.

Dave Timm
24 May 2015, 12:56
Hi Guys,

I started a new thread in the video reviews section with part 1.

Thanks
Dave

UWone77
24 May 2015, 13:44
Watched part 1 while eating my lunch. Very nicely done Dave.

Have you swapped out the trigger yet for another? Good to know any AR trigger will drop in.

I know you touched on it, but any of your sources say Sig will offer different handguards after purchase, like that keymod they've been showing?

Looks like this will be much easier to clean than your standard AR.

Dave Timm
24 May 2015, 17:15
Watched part 1 while eating my lunch. Very nicely done Dave.

Have you swapped out the trigger yet for another? Good to know any AR trigger will drop in.

I know you touched on it, but any of your sources say Sig will offer different handguards after purchase, like that keymod they've been showing?

Looks like this will be much easier to clean than your standard AR.

I threw in an EDT and it functioned checked fine, I had so much footage a lot of stuff had to get cut. In one of the next videos I will use some different triggers I have around. I am still waiting to hear back from my rep on mags and a stock, I'll ask about keymod. He did say that since they are so far behind pretty much all effort on this platform is getting guns out the door versus building the parts stock up. Hopefully I can score some mags and have the stock by the time the stamp gets back.