PDA

View Full Version : Placed my order today...

alamo5000
21 May 2015, 20:16
Despite all the recent chaos going on around here lately I FINALLY got a notification that the Recce 5 was back in stock at Silencer Shop...

For anyone who is wondering...

The suppressors MUST be fully manufactured before they can submit a transfer request even from the manufacturer to the dealer. In this case it took just about 7 weeks total to restock the item and per my sources it took the ATF about 6 weeks to approve all the paperwork for a manufacturer to dealer transfer. From all indications it's a normal form 3.

The reason I mention this is because I have been told various 'stories' that turned out to be just that... stories.

But regardless of the 6 week setback I came in and the first thing I did was add the suppressor to my cart, add the tax stamp to my cart, and paid for everything. I have already uploaded my Trust docs.

Now I guess all that's left is for Silencer Shop to do their magic and get my Form 4 filled out and sent off. Well that and all the waiting [BD]

I made the leap. I guess I will soon be part of the club. [:D]

cjd3
21 May 2015, 21:26
I put my order in on Saturday for a Sparrow. So I guess it's a race. The guys at Silencer Shop seem to be on top of it.

alamo5000
21 May 2015, 21:33
I put my order in on Saturday for a Sparrow. So I guess it's a race. The guys at Silencer Shop seem to be on top of it.

Are you in Texas too?

I haven't heard a single bad thing about Silencer Shop and I have had the chance to informally chat with at least one of their employees several times already. Very nice guy. They seem to be doing a lot of good in the NFA world as well as offer great deals and service. Long story short they won my business.

This is my first ever foray into NFA turf so I wanted to trust a reputable company to get it done.

I have a feeling though that I am opening a can of worms here :) LOL

In the end I spent the money but I think it will be a very useful tool.

cjd3
21 May 2015, 21:54
Are you in Texas too?

I haven't heard a single bad thing about Silencer Shop and I have had the chance to informally chat with at least one of their employees several times already. Very nice guy. They seem to be doing a lot of good in the NFA world as well as offer great deals and service. Long story short they won my business.

This is my first ever foray into NFA turf so I wanted to trust a reputable company to get it done.

I have a feeling though that I am opening a can of worms here :) LOL

In the end I spent the money but I think it will be a very useful tool.

Nope, a bit further north, and a whole lot bigger. They charge only $65 more for out of state, and have a local FFL that deals with their direct sales. So I think it's quite the deal for $65. Most places up here charge $100 or so to do a class 3 transfer. I was going to make the Saker 762 my first can, but the price shot up, so I'll wait on that one.

alamo5000
22 May 2015, 05:53
Nope, a bit further north, and a whole lot bigger. They charge only $65 more for out of state, and have a local FFL that deals with their direct sales. So I think it's quite the deal for $65. Most places up here charge $100 or so to do a class 3 transfer. I was going to make the Saker 762 my first can, but the price shot up, so I'll wait on that one.

This is my first so it's a momentous occasion! LOL Honestly I wanted a can for a long time, but I never really went into it mainly because I didn't know enough and all the paperwork and all that jive sort of intimidated me out of it. BUT--- then along comes WEVO--- :)

I meet some very great folks here and then not only tame my fears about the paperwork, but they also taunted me with sexy photos until I spent the money! LOL J/K!!!

But seriously here I learned more about it than I have ANYWHERE. In other places I was getting all sorts of information... but here... I trust a lot more. My fears of the process got tamed and I also learned a bit about the suppressors themselves.

I made a 5.56 can my first because it meets my needs. I don't foresee myself going into another (rifle) caliber for a while, but it depends. In any case if this all goes smoothly I will probably end up with even more of these things.

I don't have much experience with suppressors so I kind of had to weed through the BS of it and pick out who was being straight with me... so thank goodness for WEVO!

GOST
22 May 2015, 05:59
Alamo you sure took your sweet time.[:D]

alamo5000
22 May 2015, 06:30
Alamo you sure took your sweet time.[:D]

It wasn't my fault!!! They ran out of them! LOL [:D]

But in all seriousness no matter how much I love shooting I am trying to keep my finances balanced. I could go blow my life savings in a month or two if I wasn't careful...so I measure twice and cut once LOL [:D]

If this one goes smoothly and once I get a feel for it and how all this stuff works the others might not be so bad...

Dstrbdmedic167
22 May 2015, 06:34
Everyone needs a trio. 22, 308 and 45. Covers just about all the bases within reason

Jerry R
22 May 2015, 08:49
Congrats ! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Once you have the first one in hand, you will need a new Texas Vanity License Place ----------- NVRENUF [BD]

Former11B
22 May 2015, 10:30
Nice! The RECCE 5's are good cans...I'm waiting on a deposit to hit my bank and I'm placing my order for one as well (with a different dealer). I was surprised that in a recent video I saw, that the RECCE 5 outperformed the Griffin Armament OTB/Reflex style suppressor (decibel wise). Tone and backpressure are probably different with the OTB, but with the amount of internal volume in the OTB that it would be more quiet. I guess that goes to show that there is a point of diminishing returns with suppressors as far as volume and size goes.

alamo5000
22 May 2015, 11:22
I probably should say thank you to Former11B. He and several others really took some time with me to kind of lay it out there. It didn't entirely replace my own research but it sure did help. All you guys are great about sharing the know how. It really smoothed over a lot of rough edges for me.

alamo5000
22 May 2015, 12:06
Speaking of suppressors though here is one test that I would like to see run just out of curiosity. I call it the 100 yard test. In addition to all the other decibel readings put three or four sensors out 100 yards away. One in front, back, and both sides and measure decibels both unsuppressed and suppressed just to get an idea. I would like to see that in addition to all these at the ear tests etc.

Former11B
22 May 2015, 13:00
At 100 yards directly out from the shooter (roughly path of bullet..,not directly lol ), you'd hear the snap of the bullet but it would be, provided you didn't know the shooter was on a bench shooting at you, hard to tell where the shot came from.

This video may interest you:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnU8o53z-WE

It's long but the guy shoots 3-4 calibers and shows noise level at shooter and at the target.

alamo5000
22 May 2015, 13:21
I will watch when I get home. I'm curious as to how sound travels laterally. So if I get out in the back yard shooting and my neighbors are X far...how will it sound and how do different suppressors perform.

gatordev
22 May 2015, 13:56
The range I shoot at regularly is set up that it's not uncommon for you to be either at the impact point of the 100 yard berm or to be several hundred yards laterally from the 100 yard berm (but also somewhat downrange). Like 11B mentioned, you mostly hear the snap of the bullet when "at the berm" with a minor report from the bench. I know where the report is coming from because I'm familiar with the range, but if I wasn't, it would be harder to pinpoint.

When farther "down and laterally" range, I find the report of the bullet/shooter is easier, but it's because they're, relatively speaking, coming from the same basic area (just due to the angle). Instead of a SNAP....Pop. It's more of a snap..pop. That said, I have been "down/laterally" range and someone sent a round over the berm (not a ricochet). He was shooting unsuppressed, though, and the report and snap were two distinctive positions in space.

When I was but a green nugget going through a pre-deployment training class, they showed a video that I always wished I could have got my hands on, but it was on the SECRET side and I don't know if there was ever a way to get it to a useful medium (despite it not being remotely Secret). In it, they set up a camera with a mic at a target at night, and put a NOD on the camera. Then a helo came in and lit up the target with a GAU-16 with a PEQ mounted on it. You could see where they were aiming because of the PEQ and you could hear the round coming into the target. Talk about an effective way to keep someone's head down. Yikes!

gatordev
22 May 2015, 14:00
Oops, meant to add...While it wasn't my first sale with Silencer Shop, yesterday, I, too, put in an order, but did it on the phone just due to some questions I had. Good people, and I'd say at least 50% of the time of my transaction was just shooting the breeze with my salesman who was prior aviation LE/HEMS and we were sharing some sea-stories. Definitely makes me want to swing by and see the place if I'm ever in Austin.

alamo5000
22 May 2015, 17:45
Here is another question for you... as I am reloading whenever time permits... Do you have to tailor your load at all when shooting suppressed to maintain extreme accuracy? Assume I am using an adjustable gas block... (which I will get in the next month or so)...

I have my loads now at 24.3 grains but I am wondering if I am going to need to re-calibrate them later on for a somewhat different shooting system (IE add suppressor) that might or might not alter the harmonics. I understand it might have a POI shift but I mean altering the actual load itself?

If the answer is yes I won't load up 2000 rounds as planned. I will just do them in batches of a few hundred at a time. If it doesn't really matter I will continue on with my 2000 round goal.

I have a lot of questions still but all I know is my suppressor is on the way :) I am excited...

alamo5000
23 May 2015, 07:56
Congrats ! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Once you have the first one in hand, you will need a new Texas Vanity License Place ----------- NVRENUF [BD]

Thank you! I fear you are correct :) I am already making plans...

Now my tag line that Uwone gave me can become official. LOL

Nice! The RECCE 5's are good cans...I'm waiting on a deposit to hit my bank and I'm placing my order for one as well (with a different dealer). I was surprised that in a recent video I saw, that the RECCE 5 outperformed the Griffin Armament OTB/Reflex style suppressor (decibel wise). Tone and backpressure are probably different with the OTB, but with the amount of internal volume in the OTB that it would be more quiet. I guess that goes to show that there is a point of diminishing returns with suppressors as far as volume and size goes.

I think I made a great choice myself :) I don't have it yet, and I've never shot one (of these), but based on reports all over including silencer shop and others... I think I done did good. I am confident in my choice.

The range I shoot at regularly is set up that it's not uncommon for you to be either at the impact point of the 100 yard berm or to be several hundred yards laterally from the 100 yard berm (but also somewhat downrange). Like 11B mentioned, you mostly hear the snap of the bullet when "at the berm" ...When farther "down and laterally" range, I find the report of the bullet/shooter is easier, but it's because they're, relatively speaking, coming from the same basic area (just due to the angle). Instead of a SNAP....Pop. It's more of a snap..pop. That said, I have been "down/laterally" range and someone sent a round over the berm (not a ricochet). He was shooting unsuppressed, though, and the report and snap were two distinctive positions in space.

When I was but a green nugget going through a pre-deployment training class, they showed a video that I always wished I could have got my hands on, but it was on the SECRET side and I don't know if there was ever a way to get it to a useful medium (despite it not being remotely Secret). In it, they set up a camera with a mic at a target at night, and put a NOD on the camera. Then a helo came in and lit up the target with a GAU-16 with a PEQ mounted on it. You could see where they were aiming because of the PEQ and you could hear the round coming into the target. Talk about an effective way to keep someone's head down. Yikes!

I love watching military videos and stuff like that... I am just kind of curious about 'down range' just because. If you're a pig by the time you hear the snap it's all done for. LOL What tends to happen is after the first shot though the rest can scatter in all directions but they will regroup a few minutes later. If pig hunting I've heard you can get more than one shot off and as long as they don't see you you're good.

As for the lateral sound... that to me would answer a lot of in general questions. No one has ever complained about me shooting but then again I try to keep my shooting times to when it will be the least intrusive. I am hoping this will allow me to shoot more and at varied times even. Everyone out here shoots but I am still wanting to be polite.

For a first time suppressor buyer I think something like the 100 yard test I mentioned above would answer a whole lot of questions as to 'why' suppress a rifle, and it's not to be a ninja LOL Suppressors really do have a place in the world. I am 3/4 of the way inclined to write my Congressman and Senators and start a campaign about how the NFA laws are stupid and unnecessary... whether it will help or not, I don't know.

Former11B
23 May 2015, 16:59
I wouldn't load a ton of ammo yet. Odds are the only thing that will change is your POI but just to be on the safe side, load small batches until you confirm accuracy with the can. Would beat the heck out of pulling and possibly damaging $600 worth of bullets and countless hours of time.

I personally don't have dual loads for suppressed/unsuppressed but I definitely make note of POI shift. It's never drastic (1/2" down and right at 100yds e.g.) but that does make a difference further out

And as far as helping you pick the can or offering advice....anytime my friend, any time.

Former11B
9 July 2015, 12:08
Read some more information from one of the owners of Griffin Armament about the update/improvement to the Recce line:

"The Mod 2 is a great can. The new revision just features some useful attributes that we are bringing to the line. The suppressors have a chassis- a bullet machined single piece of 17-4SS- this makes them incredibly strong- stronger than anything ever put on the market. This is like having a heat treated 718 inconel tube on the suppressor- because 17-4 is 3 times as strong as 316, and twice as strong as 718 in the cold reduced sheet. These are attributes unavailable in tube materials. There is no 17-4 seamless tube on the market, there is no seamless 718 inconel tube I'm aware of. Tube relies on the material to be soft, moderately weak, and form-able so it is a compromised concept from the beginning. The older unit was also made from billet 17-4SS but was welded into monolithic structure like the SIG suppressor's assembly of their cast baffles. The use of the "chassis" as we're calling it, reduces the integrity focused mechanical reliance on welds. Welds and castings cause undesirable loss of grain structure control. Welds are never realistically as strong as billet material which is 100% contiguously joined with controlled material grain structure aligned in the appropriate direction. Reducing that critical weld reliance especially in hot and high pressure areas is in my opinion theoretically superior. The flash suppressor integrated into the front cap is a signature reduction feature. Sound performance will be similar to the Mod 2. We've built cans a lot of different ways and I prefer this method.

On the negative side it requires about 50% more bar stock to make a suppressor this way- more time, and more machining. A 9" RSTA requires about 15.5" of bar stock (not counting the included 4.2" muzzle device) with 85% material removal for manufacturing.

We've done some really punishing things to pre-production units with no visible wear. That's important. A lot of companies brag on mechanically staying together while systems are eroded and cored out internally or damaged in ways deleting sound performance that no owner would be happy about. What really impressed us was the ability to do things that should typically cause irreparable wear or harm and pull through without expected visible damage."

alamo5000
9 July 2015, 16:48
Read some more information from one of the owners of Griffin Armament about the update/improvement to the Recce line:

"The Mod 2 is a great can. The new revision just features some useful attributes that we are bringing to the line. The suppressors have a chassis- a bullet machined single piece of 17-4SS- this makes them incredibly strong- stronger than anything ever put on the market. This is like having a heat treated 718 inconel tube on the suppressor- because 17-4 is 3 times as strong as 316, and twice as strong as 718 in the cold reduced sheet. These are attributes unavailable in tube materials. There is no 17-4 seamless tube on the market, there is no seamless 718 inconel tube I'm aware of. Tube relies on the material to be soft, moderately weak, and form-able so it is a compromised concept from the beginning. The older unit was also made from billet 17-4SS but was welded into monolithic structure like the SIG suppressor's assembly of their cast baffles. The use of the "chassis" as we're calling it, reduces the integrity focused mechanical reliance on welds. Welds and castings cause undesirable loss of grain structure control. Welds are never realistically as strong as billet material which is 100% contiguously joined with controlled material grain structure aligned in the appropriate direction. Reducing that critical weld reliance especially in hot and high pressure areas is in my opinion theoretically superior. The flash suppressor integrated into the front cap is a signature reduction feature. Sound performance will be similar to the Mod 2. We've built cans a lot of different ways and I prefer this method.

On the negative side it requires about 50% more bar stock to make a suppressor this way- more time, and more machining. A 9" RSTA requires about 15.5" of bar stock (not counting the included 4.2" muzzle device) with 85% material removal for manufacturing.

We've done some really punishing things to pre-production units with no visible wear. That's important. A lot of companies brag on mechanically staying together while systems are eroded and cored out internally or damaged in ways deleting sound performance that no owner would be happy about. What really impressed us was the ability to do things that should typically cause irreparable wear or harm and pull through without expected visible damage."

That sounds really awesome! I am more excited than ever now.

Where did you run across that?