PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Settings

Computalotapus
26 May 2015, 09:10
So the kids are off doing what kids do this summer and since they are gone for Father's Day they gave me my FD present early. I am now the proud owner of a GoPro Hero4 Black.

Local 3d print shop printed up a keymod mount for the gopro. I plan on attaching it to the rifle when I do competitions and when I am out running drills. With all that said does anyone have and tips or tricks on the camera settings?

velocity2006
26 May 2015, 09:24
Well the 4 Black is capable of doing 4k and unless your PC is a beast and you have a 4k monitor it really won't be worth using that setting. It really depends on what your trying to accomplish, the GoPro goes very wide with a fisheye, but also has narrow settings.

I believe the 4 Black will do 720p at 240fps which is great for doing slow motion fire shots. For getting your footage off of the rifle I personally would shoot narrow at 1080p with the highest FPS settings you can apply. Just play with it and you'll get an idea for how aggressive the fisheye is on wide, and stay away from the 4k recording until you have a rig capable of rendering 4k.

The phone app is a must for framing shots also. Gives you a good idea of how it looks before you record.

Ride4frnt
26 May 2015, 09:48
I always use mine on 720 at the highest FPS I can get. Occasionally 1080, but the frame rate is too slow since I have the original hd hero

Computalotapus
26 May 2015, 12:06
Well the 4 Black is capable of doing 4k and unless your PC is a beast and you have a 4k monitor it really won't be worth using that setting. It really depends on what your trying to accomplish, the GoPro goes very wide with a fisheye, but also has narrow settings.

I believe the 4 Black will do 720p at 240fps which is great for doing slow motion fire shots. For getting your footage off of the rifle I personally would shoot narrow at 1080p with the highest FPS settings you can apply. Just play with it and you'll get an idea for how aggressive the fisheye is on wide, and stay away from the 4k recording until you have a rig capable of rendering 4k.

The phone app is a must for framing shots also. Gives you a good idea of how it looks before you record.

I always use mine on 720 at the highest FPS I can get. Occasionally 1080, but the frame rate is too slow since I have the original hd hero

Thanks guys. I will play around with it see how it all turns out.

AaronP220
29 May 2015, 06:33
I would be interested in this key mod mount you speak of. I pretty much refuse to buy off Ebay and that seems where everything is.

rob_s
29 May 2015, 06:42
As someone who is not into filming first-person videos and is becoming increasingly annoyed by those that are...

the one tip I'll give is don't let it become about the video, and don't let your own narcissism impact other people's enjoyment or fun. These things have become a plague on the shooting games, increasing the load-and-make-ready times by as much as 100% for some shooters as they have to first fire up their 17 proton packs before they can even begin to address the gun. Don't be that guy. I have also seen people whack the camera on things, drop the camera, and have the camera otherwise detract from their own shooting in various ways. You're supposed to be there for the shooting.

I would also suggest respecting other people's wish not to be filmed. yes, legally I'm out in public and you have a right to film me and blah blah blah. But practically, it's bad manners to go around recording other people, and doubly so to then publish it on the internut.

Don't let the camera distract from why you are there to begin with, and be respectful of others who are in the vicinity or attending the same event both in terms of their wishes and their schedule.

Computalotapus
29 May 2015, 09:14
As someone who is not into filming first-person videos and is becoming increasingly annoyed by those that are...

the one tip I'll give is don't let it become about the video, and don't let your own narcissism impact other people's enjoyment or fun. These things have become a plague on the shooting games, increasing the load-and-make-ready times by as much as 100% for some shooters as they have to first fire up their 17 proton packs before they can even begin to address the gun. Don't be that guy. I have also seen people whack the camera on things, drop the camera, and have the camera otherwise detract from their own shooting in various ways. You're supposed to be there for the shooting.

I would also suggest respecting other people's wish not to be filmed. yes, legally I'm out in public and you have a right to film me and blah blah blah. But practically, it's bad manners to go around recording other people, and doubly so to then publish it on the internut.

Don't let the camera distract from why you are there to begin with, and be respectful of others who are in the vicinity or attending the same event both in terms of their wishes and their schedule.

I hear you loud and clear Rob. I have it set up kinda like you would with a weapon light switch on the rail, easy for me to hit the record button on the remote. You and I both know a course doesn't take long to run and the battery life on these are pretty decent to were the camera can be on before you approach the line of fire. We like to have things run quickly and smoothly at our shoots so keeping the flow going is a priority. Right now the videos are more for me so I can maybe find things I need to work on and just get a different look at what I am doing. I would say 90% of the time the gopro will be used while running drills. And I am actually thinking about mounting it to one of the range side poles while doing this so I can see what I am doing while navigating the shooting course. I figure I can shot video from the back of the range facing down range, from the left/right sides of the range and from down range facing back to the start point.

I am not a very rude person and I try my best to avoid confrontation at all times. I am respectful of other peoples privacy. Luckily for me our range is pretty empty 95% of the time we go there and usually we have the place to ourselves. Also I have just recently gained access to a friends private range to use for this type of stuff. I will probably run the camera from the rifle a couple times just to see what it looks like and say "pretty cool" but mostly it will run from off-body to help me critique myself navigating a course. Going to try and just use it as a tool to break down what I am doing on the range, how I can fix any bad practices and give myself options to improve my skills.

The camera will also be used for a ton of non-shooting related things as well. Recently I mounted the camera to my boxers harness while throwing the Frisbee for him. That was pretty cool to watch but I think I need Dramamine the next time I watch something like that. Will probably record the racing tower on a Friday night while I play race director at least once. Take it with me on backpacking/camping trips, there is a place here in Michigan that is a 70 mile hike and if you time it right you will intersect with the largest elk herd migrating in Michigan (1100+ elk). Some pretty cool waterfalls in the upper peninsula that are in some very remote locations ( 2 day hikes off trail )

rob_s
29 May 2015, 10:17
I personally get a lot more out of having video of myself from third-person point of view than first-person. I often hand off my phone to another shooter and ask them to film me, and remind them to stay out of the way. If I can't get that done before it's time to approach the line, I don't do it. I wind up forgetting more times than not, often for an entire match. I just never seem to remember to take pictures of anything I'm doing, My significant other gets mad that I never take pictures, but I'm always too busy having a good time!

toolboxluis00200
29 May 2015, 10:41
I have a contour cameras I keep it at 720p at 30 fps the 1080p suck on mine. Hope that helps

gatordev
29 May 2015, 13:18
Words.

Hear, hear. And I can live with someone taking action shots of me from behind while I run a course, but please don't "tag" me.

Recently I mounted the camera to my boxers harness...

Uh...not sure I like where this is going...

...while throwing the Frisbee for him.

Whew, that was close.