PDA

View Full Version : WA state SBR's

SwissyJim
28 May 2015, 07:59
Anyone seen this image posted by Aero Precision on FB this morning?

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11350633_1028817400475492_771248249644558670_n.jpg ?oh=71eef0caf524b45402f6d3ddfd8e99de&oe=56061B1A

Anyone run into this? They made it sound like it's a new thing... really sucks if this is the new ruling for WA state form 1's. Guess I better make them all now, before I retire and (possibly) end up there.

toolboxluis00200
28 May 2015, 08:27
First I seen that

UWone77
28 May 2015, 08:35
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, since there are a slew of approved Form 1's out there. The law was poorly written from the get go, so it needs to really start there.

You can still Form 4 a factory SBR until then.

Mecha_Arms
28 May 2015, 08:40
That's news to me.

If that's how they're going to handle WA applications now that sucks, since I was planning to do a Form 1 in the next few days, and had a few others in mind.

This legislative session few gun laws were able to gain much of any traction. I'm not sure how things will fare next year, but it's unfortunate that the law was a little ambiguous (and it sounds like folks may have made it worse by asking ATF about it a bunch).

Dstrbdmedic167
28 May 2015, 08:41
Honest general curiosity question. Can you buy a form 1 SBR made my an individual? Say I make one and you want it. Can it be form 3'd over then form 4'd of course.

Just curios if the law dictates just "factory" made sbr's. Also is this all form 1 items such as homemade suppressors.

SwissyJim
28 May 2015, 08:43
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, since there are a slew of approved Form 1's out there. The law was poorly written from the get go, so it needs to really start there.

You can still Form 4 a factory SBR until then.

sorry... should have included their text...

"Looks like some bad news for those of us in WA State. Form 1 SBR's are no longer being approved!" which makes it sound like no more form1 SBR approvals from this point forward.

SINNER
28 May 2015, 08:44
Just like the Maryland law. You have to pass it to know what's in it. Dumbfucks in the capital here took a regulated rifle list and banned them as the new law. Forgot about the AK and AR pistols along with a ton of weapons that fell off the regulated list are now cash and carry again. Can't buy a mid weight AR but you can buy a pistol and SBR it no issue. SCAR 16s cash and carry. Idiotic law that was written by thieves and liars.

alamo5000
28 May 2015, 08:52
Well this looks interesting. Sounds like a load of crap to me.

I don't really know to what degree the ATF reviews these state and local laws when they dole out approvals.

UWone77
28 May 2015, 08:52
sorry... should have included their text...

"Looks like some bad news for those of us in WA State. Form 1 SBR's are no longer being approved!" which makes it sound like no more form1 SBR approvals from this point forward.

You know the SBR law passed what 2 years ago? They haven't done anything to change the verbage. I was actually surprised that the SBR law passed, as Rep Laurie Jinkins stonewalled the bill even though it easily passed the House and Senate. The bill was literally picked out of the trash by the Speaker of the House and brought onto the floor for a vote, where it passed.

alamo5000
28 May 2015, 08:54
I am really starting to hate politicians (even more) now.

SINNER
28 May 2015, 09:00
Well this looks interesting. Sounds like a load of crap to me.

I don't really know to what degree the ATF reviews these state and local laws when they dole out approvals.

They know the letter of the law. Maryland has a min. Length requirement and if you submit a form 1 with a listed length less than the minimum it will get rejected. It would have to be a database of each state's laws.

SwissyJim
28 May 2015, 09:17
a buddy in WA state sent me this link

West Coast Armory - about SBR's (http://www.westcoastarmory.com/washington/105-Washington_State_SBRs.html)

didn't have time to read it thru, but seemed like some good info? I'll read it today at work when I get a moment...

UWone77
28 May 2015, 09:50
Looks like all previously approved Form 1's will be retracted as well. Hope you guys have some Factory Form 4 SBR's to tie you over until this all gets sorted out.

For those living in Washington State, Laurie Jinkins, the head of the Judiciary Committee needs to be removed from her position.

Mecha_Arms
28 May 2015, 09:53
Folks have been making SBRs, and getting ATF approval, for a while in WA because the law wasn't written well. See it here: http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.190. Subsection 1 and 2 don't match up.

Many people figured if the ATF was approving the Form 1s, and the State wasn't weighing in either way, that they were fine. If the ATF has changed their mind, then no more Form 1 SBRs. :-(

velocity2006
28 May 2015, 09:58
PNW is getting more and more restrictive it seems. Oregon's new BG check law is ridiculous and unenforceable, pushed through without even allowing it to come through on a ballot (thanks Bloomberg). I feel for my buddies up north.

UWone77
28 May 2015, 10:43
I forsee some sales of KAK Shockwaves increasing. [:D]

Mecha_Arms
28 May 2015, 11:11

I had been thinking about getting one to compare with the Thordsen Kit, and now I'm that much more motivated.

velocity2006
28 May 2015, 11:30
They are GTG, love mine so far.

bzdog
28 May 2015, 19:39
PNW is getting more and more restrictive it seems. Oregon's new BG check law is ridiculous and unenforceable, pushed through without even allowing it to come through on a ballot (thanks Bloomberg). I feel for my buddies up north.

Other than that idiotic background check law, WA is pretty reasonable. This latest foo-pah is because the SBR law was poorly written.

So how the heck can they *retract* permission to make an SBR? That sounds particularly un-Kosher.

In any case, this really bites for me as I just put in Form 1s for a couple of AXTS lowers. I don't want *a* lower, I want *these* lowers.

GAH.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bzdog
28 May 2015, 19:41
FWIW, there is a thread on this in the WA "hometown" section of TOS.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoilerUp
28 May 2015, 20:57
Yes, I saw this hit the local gun board (SGN) last night.

The problem and potential opportunity is the mismatch between federal and state legal definitions of "manufacture" and "make". It's silly to say that popping two push pins to replace an upper receiver group constitutes "manufature" under the WA law. However, it does constitute "make" under federal law. Now it will take a lawsuit to fight that argument but also could create some issues for some local manufacturers.

One theory is you could file to "make" your SBR out of state and file for out of state transport. Get your stamp, drive across state lines, swap uppers, come back home. No one tried that, though, once approved Form 1s started coming back.

mustangfreek
29 May 2015, 00:42
Looks like all previously approved Form 1's will be retracted as well. Hope you guys have some Factory Form 4 SBR's to tie you over until this all gets sorted out.

For those living in Washington State, Laurie Jinkins, the head of the Judiciary Committee needs to be removed from her position.

Yep law passed 2 years ago with holes all thru it and stil lnever got fixed..this sux..i have known but there has got to be a ton out there in WA..hummm

Still need one..

They are GTG, love mine so far.

And thanks to your review/ifo im getting one..

Former11B
29 May 2015, 03:54

Wow, that is bad news