PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Machine Poseidon vs AAC TiRant

Jerry R
29 May 2015, 14:12
A short side-by-side video comparison of the Poseidon and TiRant in .45 ACP done recently at GriffonSec's Range. GriffonSec is shooting the Poseidon on a Sig P220 Platform, and a good friend is shooting a Sig TacOps with the TiRant on it. We ran a couple of videos, and the ringing of the steel was louder than either suppressor. So, I asked them to shoot into the berm for this round. Note that while the Poseidon is shot wet with a new wipe, the TiRant is shot dry. We shot the TiRant wet, and it was literally "Hollywood" quiet for about five rounds. Ammo used was aluminum cased Blazer 230 Ball.

Photo of the Poseidon

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/NFA%20Pictures/Thompson-Machine%20Poseidon%2045%20Suppressor/IMG_2280PoseidonFramed1024_zpsba154c85.jpg~origina l

Photo of the TiRant

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/NFA%20Pictures/IMG_16242nd300PPISized1024.jpg~original

You can see there is a significant difference in length.

And the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhbpPV_KKVs

SINNER
29 May 2015, 15:07
To me the TiRant sounds quieter dry than the Poseidon does wet. But I honestly hate these speculative tests. Use a DB meter and remove viewer interpretation.

Jerry R
29 May 2015, 15:29
Use a DB meter and remove viewer interpretation.

I agree completely, and really wish I had one. Cheapest I see on the net are around $450. Just don't want to sink that into a rarely used meter. Could probably rent one, but haven't checked into that. I have the two cans, was visiting GriffonSec, and just did a video while we were shooting.

The TiRant is a longer suppressor - more baffles - quieter dry; really quieter wet. But with a wipe, the Poseidon is a good "nightstand can" for flash suppression and a little hearing protection when things go bump in the night.

toolboxluis00200
29 May 2015, 15:31
thanks for the vid

GriffonSec
29 May 2015, 16:44
Honestly, the video seems louder than when I was shooting. First three shots from a wet/wiped Poseidon sounded on par with the TiRant, standing there with them both. I just ordered a Poseidon, strictly for house gun. Once 10 rounds went through, definitely a huge difference between the two. For a nightstand gun and the price, the Poseidon is quite nice.

GOST
29 May 2015, 17:18
Great comparison, thanks Jerry and GriffonSec. The Poseidon may have sounder a little louder in the video since it was closer to the camera.

GriffonSec
29 May 2015, 17:27
TiRant is definitely quieter, for sure. I ran most of the suppressor runs with my right ear off with the headset. First 3 rounds out of the Poseidon with fresh gel and wipe, pretty darn quiet but increased from then on. 10 rounds indoors would have your ears ringing for sure. There's also a sweet spot with it, add too much gel as I did and you may not get a full cycle and deal with FTF issues.

Fun and practical for 400 bucks...

SINNER
30 May 2015, 08:09
Certainly a neat little can. Good price too. We tried to compare with and without a can with some subsonic blackouts. Without the can actually sounded quieter due to the mic in the camera being overdriven and dropping out. Made me realize how inaccurate watching a video really was as far as sound levels.

Former11B
30 May 2015, 13:49
I'm not an AAC rifle can fan but if I had to get one, it would be a Tirant over the Silencer co pistol cans like the Octane HD2/Osprey.

GriffonSec
30 May 2015, 18:33
Certainly a neat little can. Good price too. We tried to compare with and without a can with some subsonic blackouts. Without the can actually sounded quieter due to the mic in the camera being overdriven and dropping out. Made me realize how inaccurate watching a video really was as far as sound levels.

Absolutely!

Sound in this is deceiving as well, most of the noise with the cans on in the video is echo, much quieter when firing and in person.