PDA

View Full Version : Review: USOptics SR8c 1-8x Red Dot Optic in a 30MM Warne X-SKEL Mount

voodoo_man
5 June 2015, 12:57
http://i.imgur.com/iQeE9Nl.jpg
Description:
According to USoptic's website, "The SR-8C incorporates a daylight visible, 4 MOA red dot sight in the second focal plane that is precisely positioned in the center of an 8C MIL reticle in the first focal plane. The illuminated dot is optimized at the lowest power setting for rapid target engagement in any condition and subtends at all magnification settings from 1X through 8X. U.S. Optics, Inc. scopes are constructed of 6061 T-6 aluminum, then type III hard anodized, making it extremely durable. By using the finest materials and advanced engineering, the SR-8 is a lightweight, affordable scope that surpasses the competition."

According to Warne's website, "The rugged, lightweight design of the X-SKEL maintains our famous Return to Zero capability, and utilizes ½” hex nuts for rock solid attachment. It features a skeletonized ring body and caps for reduced weight and steel threaded cap inserts for maximum durability. The X-SKEL places your optic at the IDEAL HEIGHT with a generous cantilever for proper eye relief, it will easily accommodate the longer eyepieces found on many of today’s scopes. Available in 1 inch, 30mm and 34mm."

http://i.imgur.com/falqzXW.jpg

I was able to get the SR8c for testing and review at no cost, as well as the Warne mount for testing. I have since passed on the optic and mount to someone else who will get use out of it.

Read the full review here -> http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2015/06/usoptics-sr8c-1-8x-red-dot-optic-in.html

velocity2006
5 June 2015, 13:07
Nice write up, looks like a great little scope.

voodoo_man
5 June 2015, 13:58
Nice write up, looks like a great little scope.

It's not exactly little...

velocity2006
5 June 2015, 14:14
It's smaller than my 6-24x50 vortex lol. By little I guess I was meaning magnification power. It sure as hell doesn't have a little price tag :P

Reticle does look fast though, not super busy. Like the idea of it being almost a red dot at 1 power.

schambers
5 June 2015, 16:31
Funny. One of these arrived at my front door on Monday... Still trying to decide on a mount though.

voodoo_man
5 June 2015, 16:35
Funny. One of these arrived at my front door on Monday... Still trying to decide on a mount though.

bobro.

greenlineaz
22 June 2015, 05:39
Nice review.

BoilerUp
22 June 2015, 06:02
I'd be curious to know how much the Warne X-SKEL weighs, not that weight is really a consideration when mounting a 1.6 lb USO, but I'd like to know what Warne considers "lightweight".

Obviously, any mounting with "tactical nuts" is worth considering, right? http://warnescopemounts.com/product/xskel-mount/

Crap, I wonder if the nuts on my Leupold mount are "tactical". Can anyone help me tell the difference between tactical nuts and non-tactical nuts?

voodoo_man
22 June 2015, 07:26
Are they colored black?

if so they are tactical.

Slippers
22 June 2015, 07:51
In your opinion, has USO corrected the rather harsh barrel distortion at 1x that was present in some of the earlier versions of this scope? Both the floor samples at shot show 2 years ago and one I got to use at the range about a year ago suffered from it pretty bad. It was most noticeable when you had a horizontal or vertical line near the edge of the field of view, since it would bow outwards. While it didn't affect the center, it gave you a fisheye feeling.

voodoo_man
22 June 2015, 13:09
I cannot say I have seen this issue with the sr8c, I do know exactly what you are referring to since the vxr patrol was a 1.25x optic at minimum magnification and it did something like this but I attributed it to the .25 in magnification.

I doubt there is a "perfect" or near perfect optic out there. The z6i comes close.

Slippers
22 June 2015, 14:52
It's generally not a function of the magnification. Should be just the glass itself. Just like with camera lenses.

Sounds promising that you don't notice it on the sr8c!

voodoo_man
22 June 2015, 15:03
It's generally not a function of the magnification. Should be just the glass itself. Just like with camera lenses.

Sounds promising that you don't notice it on the sr8c!

I seem to not notice the things that give others issues, like diopter shift for example. I do not notice it as seriously as others, if at all.

Jerry R
25 June 2015, 12:20
Can anyone help me tell the difference between tactical nuts and non-tactical nuts?

"Tactical Nuts" - when TSHTF you man-up and get it done. "Non-Tactical Nuts" - you hear about it on the car radio as you leave town. [BD]

Nice write up on the scope !

schambers
25 June 2015, 13:18
In your opinion, has USO corrected the rather harsh barrel distortion at 1x that was present in some of the earlier versions of this scope? Both the floor samples at shot show 2 years ago and one I got to use at the range about a year ago suffered from it pretty bad. It was most noticeable when you had a horizontal or vertical line near the edge of the field of view, since it would bow outwards. While it didn't affect the center, it gave you a fisheye feeling.

From what I've seen, there is still slight ocular distortion around the periphery of the image at 1x but it's not as harsh as people have made it out to be in the past. That being said, during practical use at 1x, the distortion is noticeable, as you mostly focus on the dot. It's only noticeable when you are stationary and looking for it... Hope that makes sense